• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl S2 |OT| The Sky's the Limit - Mondays 8/7c on The CW

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb1234

How is the season so far as a whole? Noticeable improvement over 1? Worse?

It started out better than 1 but has gradually fallen back into its familiar writing problems and complete inability to treat any of its themes with subtlety. I'd say the two seasons are about on par with each other.

DrBo42

It started out better than 1 but has gradually fallen back into its familiar writing problems and complete inability to treat any of its themes with subtlety. I'd say the two seasons are about on par with each other.

:( Still garbage tier villains?

DrBo42

I can understand their problem. I mean, The Flash wasn't very good outside of the personality of Barry and co until Reverse Flash shows up. These shows need that focus for the season with an actual compelling villain. Slade in Arrow is a good example as well.

jb1234

Excuse me? There's her legendary rival Livewire and Momma Luthor and um.

Riveting examples, for sure. :p I thought Momma Luthor was written out but then I saw next week's preview. But she's boring as fuck so I don't have a lot of hopes there.

ZeroX03

Banned
I can understand their problem. I mean, The Flash wasn't very good outside of the personality of Barry and co until Reverse Flash shows up. These shows need that focus for the season with an actual compelling villain. Slade in Arrow is a good example as well.

8HyR8ubgjfpaHhI4EAm9WKvhno0KluH8cwio6_hQuv7_v-BPoniNQyw3jzxYHzVhIirSLqodv6CQRxsPwsTiWp66sYJlCy3Ju4_lCZUoqAqxTna2eoybRJ_06K6d5rk35K_XceJp

I mean yeah it was basically just Cold and the cross-over, but the first six or so filler villains of the week were done better on Flash.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
On the positive side, I think next week looks good.
I'm a fan of the Fem Luthors and their dynamic with Kara, specifically Lena.
So I'm hyped for that.

It's so weird that I actually miss the days Maxwell Lord was hamming it up.

This show really does have way too many characters. They introduce new ones so quickly old ones just disappear into the ether.

Actually, now that I think about it... maybe what we really need is Cat Grant back.

Cold takes on Episode 11
- Kara pulling the classic "It's not you...it's you" line. Oh Kara.
- This episode is weird. Has a lot of people just randomly showing up and expositing.
- The acting and dialogue in this one are incredibly flat
- Alex and Maggie are fans of Barenaked Ladies...I see you, Supergirl writers. I see you. 'Odds Are' is a good karaoke song FYI
- M'gann literally pulling a Poochie and going back to her home planet LMAO

This episode felt like it was written to be as cheap as humanly possible. Multiple scenes of characters popping in on each other, severe shortage of extras, "lockdown" so new sets don't have to be used, etc.

I was actually wondering why there were so few people in the DEO at the time.

Back on the M'Gann thing, had they used a teen version of the character and made her a TV star they could've made her show one of those attractive yet non-threatening, racially diverse shows on the CW. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I was actually wondering why there were so few people in the DEO at the time.

It really stood out. Like when Kara was sitting at the bar at the top of the episode. She sits down and Mon-el comes to chat, then immediately after Alex comes to chat, then right after that M'gann comes to chat. It was like they didn't want to change location or use anymore people.

Something that British television does really well is write around budget constraints. Like Doctor Who does a lot of these lockdown type episodes but they find a way to make it compelling. The Doctor Who spin-off, Class did an entire episode that takes place in a classroom.

Back on the M'Gann thing, had they used a teen version of the character and made her a TV star they could've made her show one of those attractive yet non-threatening, racially diverse shows on the CW. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I'm still crossing my fingers for that version to make her way to Supergirl. Somebody get Kevin Smith to watch Young Justice so he can pass the message to Adler and Kreisberg.

LOLCats

Banned
So I've recently binged Flash Season 1- current and Arrow season 1 to current.

Is Supergirl as good as those? Wondering if its worth my time to watch Season 1.

Toa TAK

Banned

Is Supergirl as good as those? Wondering if its worth my time to watch Season 1.
It's the weakest of the 3, but it's a fun watch. It's pretty lighthearted throughout. Get pass the subtle-as-an-anvil writing in the first quarter and you'll be good.

But just know, nothing (for the CW superheroes) is as good as Flash Season 1. NUTHING.
She hasn't been credited for any Season 2 episode, she was busy infiltrating SHIELD.

Ah, I see. I dropped that show at the beginning of season 3.

jb1234

Give it a shot. The pilot gives you a pretty good idea of what the rest of the show is like (more or less).

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

A better use of your time would be getting current on Legends of Tomorrow, if you aren't already.

Menaged

Easily one of the weakest episodes of the series IMO.
- The whole white martain impersonating others felt quite stupid. It's not like they got anything out of it. Just wreck them and be done with it.
- Kara not using her super speed to look through the building.
- Having heart to heart talks while the building's about to explode
- Miss martain

A better use of your time would be getting current on Legends of Tomorrow, if you aren't already.

Definitely. While season 1 was mixed, this season is pure awesome.

How is the season so far as a whole? Noticeable improvement over 1? Worse?

Started amazing then jumped off a cliff.
About level with average S1.

Honestly considering dropping it as there's just nothing there.
Was behind 3 episodes and it felt like a chore halfway through the first of the 3.

LakeEarth

- Having heart to heart talks while the building's about to explode
They did this in the season 1 finale. "There's only 3 minutes left before everyone on the planet Earth dies from their head exploding.... better talk to my sister about how much I treasure her for like a whole minute!"

Grizzlyjin

They really need to get their main plot going.

No lie detected. I sincerely don't even know what the plot is this season.

Arrow is Stop Prometheus and train the new troops
Legends is survive The Legion of Doom
The Flash is Save the Love Interest, Save the World
Supergirl is...nameless bad guys are after Mon-el, I think? Umm Cadmus existed for a little bit? A cybernetic man who bears no resemblance to Superman is on the loose?

This could actually work in Supergirl's favor. If they have something that they're waiting to spring on the audience, they could make a strong mad dash to the season finale without the plot wearing thin. EDIT: I highly doubt that's the case though. This feels like a show that is searching for a formula that works in real time. Plots are added and then abruptly dropped. It's probably trying to lean more into the superhero stuff now that they're on The CW but in a way that it can differentiate itself from The Flash.

Toa TAK

Banned
Maybe they should get this mythical "Wozzly" character you guys speak of to liven up the writing.

Because right now, the main thing I'm looking forward to this show is the musical episode.

No lie detected. I sincerely don't even know what the plot is this season.

Arrow is Stop Prometheus and train the new troops
Legends is survive The Legion of Doom
The Flash is Save the Love Interest, Save the World
Supergirl is...nameless bad guys are after Mon-el, I think? Umm Cadmus existed for a little bit? A cybernetic man who bears no resemblance to Superman is on the loose?

This could actually work in Supergirl's favor. If they have something that they're waiting to spring on the audience, they could make a strong mad dash to the season finale without the plot wearing thin. EDIT: I highly doubt that's the case though. This feels like a show that is searching for a formula that works in real time. Plots are added and then abruptly dropped. It's probably trying to lean more into the superhero stuff now that they're on The CW but in a way that it can differentiate itself from The Flash.

To be fair, we only got two of those plots in the last two episodes. And Flash has since flitted about doing nothing for one of those episodes.

Smoolio

They need to reveal Mon-el as the big bad this season, only thing that will redeem the horribly toxic entitlement his story has been, Kara has been reduced to his girlfriend to win through guilt and persistence. Disgusting.

Give Kara her show back please.

Grizzlyjin

To be fair, we only got two of those plots in the last two episodes. And Flash has since flitted about doing nothing for one of those episodes.

Yeah, Supergirl might just be going with a different pace than the other shows for some reason. It's weird because what I liked about the first half of the season's plotting, is what is turning me off now. This show is so blatant about padding out episodes, why not pull a Buffy and have a scene or two with the "main" villains/upcoming villain of the season mid episode? Give them some characterization before they wreck things. But for whatever reason this show likes to confine that to 15 second stingers at the end of episodes.

Toa TAK

Banned
They need to reveal Mon-el as the big bad this season, only thing that will redeem the horribly toxic entitlement his story has been, Kara has been reduced to his girlfriend to win through guilt and persistence. Disgusting.

Give Kara her show back please.
Nailed it.

LOLCats

Banned

I've watched 4-5 episodes of season 1, but idk i think too many characters for me or its just statring slow.

Give it a shot. The pilot gives you a pretty good idea of what the rest of the show is like (more or less).

Thanks, ill try it tonight.

It's the weakest of the 3, but it's a fun watch. It's pretty lighthearted throughout. Get pass the subtle-as-an-anvil writing in the first quarter and you'll be good.

But just know, nothing (for the CW superheroes) is as good as Flash Season 1. NUTHING.

Thanks, yep Flash is definately my favorite, season 1 indeed hooked me on the whole CW DC universe. Arrow got good after the first season. Its still pretty good right now i like the current story line.

Supergirl seems overpowered. I watched that three show alien crossover that she appearred in and she needs a nerfing.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I've watched 4-5 episodes of season 1, but idk i think too many characters for me or its just statring slow.

If you made it to this point, you can make it through Legends. Your rewards are some pretty good final episodes in season 1 and a really strong season 2.

It's the #2 Arrowverse show now.

When the season began, it was:

Arrow
Supergirl
Legends
Flash

Now it's:

Arrow
Legends
Supergirl
Flash

Legends has been improved by the addition of the Legion of Doom.

jb1234

I don't watch LoT but I definitely prefer Flash over Supergirl as it currently stands. Arrow is definitely having the best season of the three.

LotusHD

Banned
Unless Flash had an amazing episode tonight (haven't watched yet), Legends has been better for awhile now, especially after last week's episode.

ZeroX03

Banned
Currently for me:

Arrow
Legends
Flash
Supergirl

Arrow is just great in almost every way, even if Canary stuff or divisive. Legends is pure swag and comedy. Flash has been improving after Flashpoint stumbles. Supergirl has tailspun since Superman and Cat left with no signs of pulling up like the others.

I don't watch LoT but I definitely prefer Flash over Supergirl as it currently stands. Arrow is definitely having the best season of the three.

Flash was pure filler. Done well but still about as formulaic as it gets. Legends was better even if a step down from the last few.

carlsojo

Supergirl did a great job of rounding out its main cast by adding Mon-El and giving Wynn and James something to do.

But now it's like.. they have nothing to do other than fight the bad dude of the week. They need a compelling villain badly and it's really starting to show.

Currently for me:

Arrow
Legends
Flash
Supergirl

Arrow is just great in almost every way, even if Canary stuff or divisive. Legends is pure swag and comedy. Flash has been improving after Flashpoint stumbles. Supergirl has tailspun since Superman and Cat left with no signs of pulling up like the others.

Flash was pure filler. Done well but still about as formulaic as it gets. Legends was better even if a step down from the last few.

I honestly can't believe Arrow's turn around.
I was basically done after last season got behind 3 episodes but got in a Super hero mood thanks to Gotham and was shocked.

Black Siren
has been the only misfire so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom