• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
first thing I thought of when reading the title.

YgeUxuY.gif

Mairu

I have a Surface Pro 2 coming at work. Hopefully it won't be here too long after the 22nd.

Didn't realize the wireless adapter for the covers was a thing. Kind of neat, though way too expensive like all the other accessories.

Doffen

I really want the Pro 2.

But I'm going to blow the rest my money this year on, Xbox One, PS4, trip to London, Christmas presents and coke.

Just ended up pre-ordering mine.

I got the 256GB Pro model (back-ordered until December 15! :( ). My girlfriend got the 64GB Surface 2 for school. As a PSA, I used one student discount code and got 10% off both of the tablets which is very nice.

I'm replacing my Lenovo X220t Laptop/Tablet hybrid. The Surface seemed like a no-brainer upgrade for me. It's going to have better specs, lighter, thinner and the pen support will likely be much better than what I currently have. The only difference is in the hard drive which is okay (the Lenovo has 512GB instead of 256GB).

The one accessory I wish they would come out with is some sort of gaming dock that would include a Nvidia/AMD graphics card. That's what's stopping it from being my absolute dream machine. But honestly, as long as I can play Dota 2 on it, I'll be okay (and I guess at the event they had some of them playing Dota 2, so it should run fairly well -- much better than my current laptop at least).

webkid94

Hey guys, I just finished chatting with a Microsoft answer tech and he told me that if I preorder the Surface 2, I will get it on release day (even though it says Ships by October 25th). I reiterated the question confirming that I will indeed get it on the 22nd (just to make sure) and the answer tech said I will.

Can't wait for the Surface 2, may even be my main laptop as I find myself never using any real Win8-only programs (except Chrome, but Metro IE is actually pretty awesome) and finding out that the Windows Store has a GBA/GBC emulator is freaking awesome.

Synless

I'm going in for the Surface 2 RT. I would have loved pen, but I can't justify the extra cost with PS4 around the corner.

I'm going in for the Surface 2 RT. I would have loved pen, but I can't justify the extra cost with PS4 around the corner.

I am this. But I'm also holding off until March to get the PS4. Destiny is the only reason I'm grabbing it as soon as that.

I never thought a piece of Microsoft tech would get my $$$ before Sony did for their PS4. Heck, I was even planning to get a Vita.

Surface RT...Surface RT2 will get way more usage from me than either the PS4 or Vita would in 2014.

Dazzla

Hey guys, I just finished chatting with a Microsoft answer tech and he told me that if I preorder the Surface 2, I will get it on release day (even though it says Ships by October 25th). I reiterated the question confirming that I will indeed get it on the 22nd (just to make sure) and the answer tech said I will.

Can't wait for the Surface 2, may even be my main laptop as I find myself never using any real Win8-only programs (except Chrome, but Metro IE is actually pretty awesome) and finding out that the Windows Store has a GBA/GBC emulator is freaking awesome.

On that subject:

Snes8x (SNES Emulator)
Screenshot.65186.1000003.jpg

VGBC8 (GBC Emulator)
Screenshot.124213.1000003.jpg

VBA8 (GBA Emulator)
Screenshot.95039.1000005.jpg

Nestalgia (NES Emulator)
Screenshot.233890.1000003.jpg

Genstalgia (Genesis / Mega Drive Emulator)
Screenshot.240776.1000002.jpg

Smstalgia (Sega Master System Emulator)
Screenshot.237902.1000002.jpg

I've never tried any of the emulators above so I don't know how they perform. All of the above emulators support the XBox 360 controllers as well which is nice.

Yoshiya

i quite like the surface in concept, and i'm even receptive to windows 8, but ms just seems obstinately opposed to making the right technical and pricing decisions here. it makes no sense to go it with RT totally alone, especially given bay trail exists. failing that, nobody wants a tegra.

and why skimp on the GPU on the pro 2? with just an iris 5100 the thing could be pretty impressive as an ultraportable pc for browsing, drawing and light games use. intel pricing is fucked, i guess.

Mindwipe

Sometimes I look at the Surface in my draw at work and think "if you had proper active directory support, did Excel Macros and had pen support you'd be a pretty good work machine and cheap enough work would sign off on it."

But then I remember that it doesn't, and wonder why the hell it exists.

markot

Banned
Whats cute is that theyre not mentioning the battery life of the pro at all yet... the specs sheet states the tegra battery life >.>

Anyway, microsoft becoming a competitor in hardware is great, it should help push more alternatives out there.

clav

Wish it ran Android.

Now that is out of the way, I'm excited to see what the Surface 2 looks like in person.

Surface 2 or Dell Venue 8 Pro.

Why doesn't the Surface 2 have stylus support?

Dazzla

Yeah, it's a shame. The line up is crying out for something between Surface and Surface Pro. Something with Bay Trail and an active digitiser like the Dell Venue 8/11 Pro offer.

danwarb

Whats cute is that theyre not mentioning the battery life of the pro at all yet... the specs sheet states the tegra battery life >.>

Anyway, microsoft becoming a competitor in hardware is great, it should help push more alternatives out there.

It says "Battery: Up to 7 hours" in the OP. Is that not right?

And up to 60% additional battery life with the power cover.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
It says "Battery: Up to 7 hours" in the OP. Is that not right?

And up to 60% additional battery life with the power cover.

I think he is talking about the spec sheet on the official site. It says something like "5-7 days of idle time." I had to go look up previews to get an estimation on battery life.

Wish it ran Android.

Now that is out of the way, I'm excited to see what the Surface 2 looks like in person.

Surface 2 or Dell Venue 8 Pro.

Why doesn't the Surface 2 have stylus support?

Probably because Microsoft sees the Surface as a pure consumption device, much like the small version that's coming later. That, and Wacom can't be arsed to write RT drivers.

Dell cheaped out on the digitizer as well and opted for a Synaptics panel instead of Wacom. Very disappointing.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
The question remains will MS ever fix link popups for neogaf on IE11? So freakin' annoying!

Plus MS needs to figure out a way to get Cisco Anyconnect vpn support on Surface2.

Haswell is underperforming on some devices. I was surprised at the Vaio Flip 15 that was just reviewed by engadget, but will wait for more reviews on the smaller versions that are more portable.

i quite like the surface in concept, and i'm even receptive to windows 8, but ms just seems obstinately opposed to making the right technical and pricing decisions here. it makes no sense to go it with RT totally alone, especially given bay trail exists. failing that, nobody wants a tegra.

and why skimp on the GPU on the pro 2? with just an iris 5100 the thing could be pretty impressive as an ultraportable pc for browsing, drawing and light games use. intel pricing is fucked, i guess.

Isn't this only an issue if what they are offering you now doesn't do what you intend it to do in a way that is acceptable? I mean, it's a fixed piece of hardware, totally not upgradeable.

I mean, if the tablet apps under RT running on a Tegra 4 seem just as snappy(responsive) as apps running on a Nexus or iPad who cares if it's not on an intel CPU?

Chris R

I think he meant among the SP2 hardware.

Yes Rhfb, everything is the same except for the size/ram options.

Yes, that is what I was meaning. Might be interested in the 64gb SP2 at some point then, going to need to see how it compares to a MBA when it is out. I kinda enjoyed the time I've spent with the first Surface Pro outside of it being a Windows 8 machine.

Zeknurn

Yeah, and while you're at it, that screen looks pretty small. You should probably buy yourself a 22" monitor to carry with you, too.

Don't forget to bring along a 5.1 surround system because the built in speaker isn't good enough.

Ehrmagawd my boss has a Pro 2.

such colors.

so gray.

thins.

So jelly

I still want to own a surface pro, I planned to buy one to replace my pc desktop since I work on it and browse more then actual hardcore pc gaming, and pso2 works well on the Pro 1, so...

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Why didnt they just stick an atom into the other one? I mean, RT aint happening microsoft >.<

RT already happened. Watch the videos. Apps are largely for suckers and are there because their host machine cannot accomplish something. The Surface RT and the Surface 2 are more than capable enough for running 99% of anything people want to do, including music and video streaming, photos, banking, documents, spreadsheets, etc.

I am sold and will be buying a Surface 2 with my next big commission check.

The only thing it lacks are games, as far as I am concerned.

Because with a ULV processor the highest gpu option is the 5000 (except the 28W ULV's which wouldn't work in a Surface).

Windows without the ability to run windows programs is stupid.

Stupid and dumb.

If you don't need those programs in the first place, how is it dumb?

If RT is dumb, so is ChromeOS. They both lack functionality but can be fulfilling for a certain segment of the population. If you mostly use Office on your PC and other stuff such as youtube or Netflix, why get anything other than RT?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

There was an article explaining why they went with a 4400. Something about heat.

Glip_Glop

I'm so conflicted, I wish they made a 128GB version with 8GB of RAM. I really want the extra RAM but I can't justify the $300+ price difference. What say you GAF? Basically I'm going to replace my work laptop with the PRO. I'll have a VPN connection going at all times when I'm out of the office. I'll be running Lync, Office, soft phone/communicator and a few of our in-house programs. Lots of web surfing and gaming (on breaks and when I'm home of course ;) ). Should I suck it up and drop the extra $300? Money is tight, especially around this time of the year, with Christmas and a few birthdays coming up.

Top Bottom