• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

Anarkin

This.

I understand wanting a cover...but if you're going to type why not use a larger/cheaper keyboard?

I don't want to carry a keyboard with me all the time. But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Type Cover if you actually want to get something done with your Surface

I guess it's much better for Office, so it's a plus. Can you actually play games with the keyboard? I know some (all?) games work with the xbox 360 controller.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I'm so conflicted, I wish they made a 128GB version with 8GB of RAM. I really want the extra RAM but I can't justify the $300+ price difference. What say you GAF? Basically I'm going to replace my work laptop with the PRO. I'll have a VPN connection going at all times when I'm out of the office. I'll be running Lync, Office, soft phone/communicator and a few of our in-house programs. Lots of web surfing and gaming (on breaks and when I'm home of course ;) ). Should I suck it up and drop the extra $300? Money is tight, especially around this time of the year, with Christmas and a few birthdays coming up.
I don't know what Lync is but I think 4gbs should do for everything else.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm so conflicted, I wish they made a 128GB version with 8GB of RAM. I really want the extra RAM but I can't justify the $300+ price difference. What say you GAF? Basically I'm going to replace my work laptop with the PRO. I'll have a VPN connection going at all times when I'm out of the office. I'll be running Lync, Office, soft phone/communicator and a few of our in-house programs. Lots of web surfing and gaming (on breaks and when I'm home of course ;) ). Should I suck it up and drop the extra $300? Money is tight, especially around this time of the year, with Christmas and a few birthdays coming up.

Yeah, I feel you dude. I really want that 8GB. Don't really mind if I have 128GB of storage. If money is tight, that is a tough call. Personally, I want this machine to last me a good while, so that is why I'm kicking in the extra $300 for it.

Raynes

Did they remove the restrictions that were in the original surface? Can you install third party software e.g. chrome?

I don't want to carry a keyboard with me all the time. But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

I guess it's much better for Office, so it's a plus. Can you actually play games with the keyboard? I know some (all?) games work with the xbox 360 controller.

I figured. :)

If it were $55 or so I'd get the type cover in a heartbeat. It's just too expensive considering I would probably only be using a keyboard for the office apps, or when I remote into my desktop to use Quicken.

The other times when I'm on the go I'd simply use the onscreen keyboard.

Love the type cover though.

Did they remove the restrictions that were in the original surface? Can you install third party software e.g. chrome?

Pro, yes.

2, no. 2 is meant for touch based apps only except for the office suite (I assume because the touch only version of office isn't available yet)

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Yeah, I feel you dude. I really want that 8GB. Don't really mind if I have 128GB of storage. If money is tight, that is a tough call. Personally, I want this machine to last me a good while, so that is why I'm kicking in the extra $300 for it.

I dropped the extra 300 because this is a replacement device and I think long term the 4gb extra is worth it.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I am running basically the same stuff on my work laptop right now, 8GB. Memory Usage is at about 47%.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
If anyone is putting down 300 to run a vm with the extra RAM, this is how I see it:

You could just buy an Asus t100 for 350 and throw Ubuntu on that, then you have 2 computers!

dLMN8R

I am running basically the same stuff on my work laptop right now, 8GB. Memory Usage is at about 47%.

That's probably not accurate - doesn't that include SuperFetch? The OS is always trying to use as much ram as possible to pre-fetch stuff you haven't launched yet.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I was afraid of this answer, but I had a gut feeling 8GB was the way to go. I mean hey, its only money, right? Thanks everyone
That doesn't mean he would max out 4gbs. Paging might be a bit more aggressive but you still might not really notice it.

I went from 4gbs to 12gbs on my desktop and my ram usage doubled out of nowhere but I didn't notice a performance gain in speed. I figured win7 just used it because it was there.

Edit: oh my typing on a phone and this explanation is piss poor.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
That's probably not accurate - doesn't that include SuperFetch? The OS is always trying to use as much ram as possible to pre-fetch stuff you haven't launched yet.
yeah you may be right

essentially running

outlook
lync
word
chrome
ie (java)
rdp
vpn

and then some encryption and backup services and some other stuff in the background

Glip_Glop

That doesn't mean he would max out 4gbs. Paging might be a bit more aggressive but you still might not really notice it.

I went from 4gbs to 12gbs on my desktop and my ram usage doubled out of nowhere but I didn't notice a performance gain in speed. I figured win7 just used it because it was there.
I agree, but at the same time I feel like if I'm going to spend 1k on something that I will be using as a BYOD workstation and use it at home for a gaming/desktop/iPad replacement, I want to make sure it can handle everything I throw at it within reason. I know it won't run games like Crysis and GTA 4, but I still would like to play games like Portal 2 and Skyrim (on low settings). I think that extra $300 would probably be a wise investment for me, I just don't want to admit it

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I agree, but at the same time I feel like if I'm going to spend 1k on something that I will be using as a BYOD workstation and use it at home for a gaming/desktop/iPad replacement, I want to make sure it can handle everything I throw at it within reason. I know it won't run games like Crysis and GTA 4, but I still would like to play games like Portal 2 and Skyrim (on low settings). I think that extra $300 would probably be a wise investment for me, I just don't want to admit it
Fair enough, just making sure you know about the tricks in ram usage :p

Anarkin

I figured. :)

If it were $55 or so I'd get the type cover in a heartbeat. It's just too expensive considering I would probably only be using a keyboard for the office apps, or when I remote into my desktop to use Quicken.

The other times when I'm on the go I'd simply use the onscreen keyboard.

Love the type cover though.

I bet they could sell them for 55$ and still make a profit. ;) Will decide tomorrow, most likely in favour of the Type Cover.

I personally bit the bullet and paid extra. More RAM + double storage was good for me especially once you factor in that the OS will use up some of the HDD space so with 256GB you get a good amount of breathing room.

I also used a student discount code for 10% off which helped (need a .edu email address, which my school doesn't shut down after you graduate so if you went to college, check if yours still works).

Glip_Glop

I personally bit the bullet and paid extra. More RAM + double storage was good for me especially once you factor in that the OS will use up some of the HDD space so with 256GB you get a good amount of breathing room.

I also used a student discount code for 10% off which helped (need a .edu email address, which my school doesn't shut down after you graduate so if you went to college, check if yours still works).
Unfortunately I've decided to purchase this through Best Buy so I can take advantage of their no interest for 18 months, that way I'll have a little more breathing room when it comes to the holidays. Thanks for the tip though.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

Nero3000

A quick note for all you potential Surface Pro 2 users, Chrome will have a dramatic (negative) effect on battery life over IE.

I regularly gain around one more hour using IE10/11 on my Surface Pro (which doesn't have that many hours to begin with).

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

this is essentially it, the idea is utilize what's available otherwise it's a waste.

Bit-Bit

Just an idea I thought of.

I think there's a feature in Windows 8 that allows you to use external storage as extra RAM.

So maybe you can get the 4gig model and buy a 4gig mini sd card and use that soley as RAM.

Anyone know if this will work how I think it could work?

BAAAAAAAAARF.

We have like 50 Surface RT's sitting out the back of our shop.

These things don't sell, they should honestly only release a pro model. The RT is a waste of time.

Goku

Banned
BAAAAAAAAARF.

These things don't sell, they should honestly only release a pro model. The RT is a waste of time.

Based on the absolutely stupid and false critisism the RT gets, I'm not surprised. But the device doesn't deserve to be neglected that much.

Doffen

BAAAAAAAAARF.

Barf? It's not Microsoft's fault that your shop got bad sellers. I would have sold the shit out of Surface, theres a lot more profit to gain there than on iPad.

Barf? It's not Microsofts fault that your shop got bad sellers. I would have sold the shit out of Surface, theres a lot more profit to gain there than on iPad.

That store with the bad sellers champ, is a retailer that made more profit last year than any other retailer in the country, in the largest city in one of the best performing stores.

It sells like shit, because it is shit.

iJudged

Banned
Is surface pro 2 large enough leap for one to upgrade from surface pro? Also, when buying, should one Just get the original pro for $600 off eBay or is the PRO 2 worth the extra $300?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
That store with the bad sellers champ, is a retailer that made more profit last year than any other retailer in the country, in the largest city in one of the best performing stores.

I bought one for fun yesterday (pro 2 coming next week- owned ipad/ipad 3/playbook/nexus 7 for reference)

really fucking good tablet, undeserving of the dumbass reviews

Sigma722

Or because everyone that comes there knows they want an iPad coming in, and no one has to do shit to sell it, except for ask if they want 64gb or 128gb. Large City = automatically more sales.

I didn't see the value in RT/ Surface 2, and if it weren't for it not having the pen, I'd actually probably grab it instead. Recently a lot of people have been selling it better than Microsoft themselves.

bedlamite

I bought one for fun yesterday (pro 2 coming next week- owned ipad/ipad 3/playbook/nexus 7 for reference)

really fucking good tablet, undeserving of the dumbass reviews
butbutbut LeeRoyBrown says it's shit!

I love my RT, it really deserves to have been marketed better.

Doffen

And yet you could do so much better if you sold your damn Surfaces, now you've got thousands of dollars on the shelf. It would be smarter to just do a sale and lose $100 per unit than $349* per unit.

*I don't know what your Buy-In price is, so I just took the normal retail price to prove a point.

There we go. The sound of those who know very little about Surface.

And yet you could do so much better if you sold your damn Surfaces, now you've got thousands of dollars on the shelf. It would be smarter to just do a sale and lose $100 per unit than $349 per unit.

There we go. The sound of those who know very little about Surface.

What model are you talking about.

The 64GB version with a keyboard originally cost AU$789,

MS tried to fuck everyone, it backfired, now people don't even want them for the new LOW price of $399 for the 32GB.

EDIT: Had to google our original price, it was $649 RRP for the 32GB.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
butbutbut LeeRoyBrown says it's shit!

I love my RT, it really deserves to have been marketed better.

and to think my biggest complaint is the 75/25 screen split which will be fixed in 8.1

the one thing that takes some getting used to is the universal search... At first I'm like wtf where's the search in the store and then I realize...charms... Damn charms.

have a few other complaints...most of them really minor... Like a bunch of the control panel being split, some other oddities which exist in windows which really shouldn't on a tablet-

like when I wanted to add my mapped network drive to my library, but its not indexed so I had to make a directory, hop into command line and make a link from that dir to the network drive then delete the folder.so unnecessary.

Doffen

What model are you talking about.

The 64GB version with a keyboard originally cost AU$789,

MS tried to fuck everyone, it backfired, now people don't even want them for the new LOW price of $399 for the 32GB.

EDIT: Had to google our original price, it was $649 RRP for the 32GB.

I was talking about the 32GB, but It is still assets you can't realize before you sell them.

And I don't know about your shop, but I would take a AU$400 loss per unit than a AU$700 loss per unit any day.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Not only that, but in retail, massive price drops are typically realized with the manufacturer paying back the difference. They aren't losing 400 bucks if they sell the RT, but they are losing 700 if they don't.

Regardless, terribly misinformed poster to go along with the terribly misinformed general populace. I would have bought an RT in a heartbeat over my current laptop had I known in advance that the RT was actually exactly what I need.

Betamax got beaten by VHS....and Betamax was better. Your opinion doesn't always hold true.

The only thing wrong with the RT platform is that it needs 3x the number of apps currently available for it.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Betamax got beaten by VHS....and Betamax was better. Your opinion doesn't always hold true.

The only thing wrong with the RT platform is that it needs 3x the number of apps currently available for it.

I wouldn't put it anywhere close to that. So many "apps" out there that people believe that they need are 100% perfectly usable (and in many cases more functional) with IE10. You do not need a Spotify app, for example, because IE10 is a complete and real browser, not some gimped mobile browser.

So, when do you expect Microsoft to issue a press release with brief specifics on Surface Pro sales LTD, given what's happening at your store? Is it closer to 1 million or 2 million since the price cut?

I'm a college student as well. Majoring in CS. And after many debates, I have decided to jump on the SP2 bandwagon. These two videos pushed me over the edge big time.

I own a desktop, but no laptop (put down) or tablet (sold last year) so it makes the decision easier for me. Although, like yourself, the price tag did a good job of scaring me away.

Microsoft should really just hire this guy to unveil them or market them. I went from not liking anything about the RT to being pleasantly surprised at how much it can do.

I wish 10% discount was still active on the 256GB Surface Pro. :(

Top Bottom