• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

Lucius86

Banned
I 'm planning on using it as a movie watcher during comute and programming terminal otherwise (otherwise dicking with the stylus because a syntic wasn't really an option right now...).
I can use it for web browsing too but I got a functional mbp and wiiu for that so I'm not forced to use it that way...
I can still plug in normal mouse and keyboards after all while waiting for the power cover....

Note there is only one USB port - you will either need a hub, or a Bluetooth Mouse/KB.
Personally, if you think 5-7.5 hours is okay, get a type keyboard. Else, power cover it is in 2014, as apparently this will raise the battery life to the 8-13 hour levels.

Mael

Note there is only one USB port - you will either need a hub, or a Bluetooth Mouse/KB.
Personally, if you think 5-7.5 hours is okay, get a type keyboard. Else, power cover it is in 2014, as apparently this will raise the battery life to the 8-13 hour levels.

Yeah I got that covered actually or I'll just plug the keyboard and use the stylus as a mouse.
I just don't want to get a cover now that will be useless and take up junk space when the other one comes.
Then again it might not be that useful without it....
I guess I'll need a bag or soemthing to transport it too....

Lucius86

Banned
Yeah I got that covered actually or I'll just plug the keyboard and use the stylus as a mouse.
I just don't want to get a cover now that will be useless and take up junk space when the other one comes.
Then again it might not be that useful without it....
I guess I'll need a bag or soemthing to transport it too....

Why not get one now, then sell it and get a power cover when they arrive? Win win. I may do the same if battery life becomes an issue for me.

Mael

Why not get one now, then sell it and get a power cover when they arrive? Win win. I may do the same if battery life becomes an issue for me.

That's actually a good idea, I tend to never sell my stuffs so it never occured to me!
So type cover 2 is the optimal one, right?
Can't wait!

zou

So just got the Surface 2. Is this how it is supposed to look? Because the first thing I thought was the casing is broken, now I'm hoping it's just a manufacturing defect.

Lrm4F9u.jpg

DvUPfOn.jpg

3XIc4W2.jpg

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So my type keyboard 2 on my pro 2 isn't turning on its backlight any more, in any situations. Any ideas? I've been messing with power settings but none of them had anything to do with that.

hadareud

The Translator
So just got the Surface 2. Is this how it is supposed to look? Because the first thing I thought was the casing is broken, now I'm hoping it's just a manufacturing defect.

Definitely not the way it's supposed to look like.

Contact MS and have them send you a new one.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
There can be a tiny bit of a misaligning in that particular part of the body due to the way it's built, but your's look about twice or thrice the normal. The gap around the screen is particularly big.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So my type keyboard 2 on my pro 2 isn't turning on its backlight any more, in any situations. Any ideas? I've been messing with power settings but none of them had anything to do with that.

you press the lighting buttons in the top left, I hope?

NeOak

Its supposed to be like that, but the edge in yours is a little raised.

joshschw

Mine is not as bad as this, but I never noticed it until now - BEACUSE OF YOU! :p

zou

Thanks guys. Can anyone post a picture of theirs by any chance? Can't find anything decent on the website showing that particular area.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
If anyone's thinking about selling their original Surface..throw me a pm.

kharma45

Currys/PC World has the Surface line-up under Android tablets for a promotion so using the code ATAB10 you can get 10% off if anyone in the UK is looking for one

Surface 2 32GB is normally £359 >>> now £323.10
Surface 2 64GB is normally £439 >>> now £395.10

Surface Pro 2 64GB is normally £719 >>> now £647.10
Surface Pro 2 128GB is normally £799 >>> now £719.10
Surface Pro 2 256GB is normally £1,039.00 >>> now £935.10
Surface Pro 2 512GB is normally £1,439 >>> now £1,295.10

Surface RT Gen 1 32GB normally £279 >>> now £251.10
Surface RT Gen 1 32GB with Touch Cover Keyboard normally £319 >>> now £287.10
Surface RT Gen 1 64GB normally £359 >>> now £323.10
Surface RT Gen 1 64GB with Touch Cover Keyboard normally £399 >>> now £359.10

zedge

Wanted to check out the Surface 2 at FS today.. so went to one in town here that has the big MS store inside it. They had the table with all the surface models on it, tags and prices for Surface 2 and pro 2, but the tablets on display were still the originals.. Fucking fail FS.. oh and they were still running 8, not 8.1.

Wanted to check out the Surface 2 at FS today.. so went to one in town here that has the big MS store inside it. They had the table with all the surface models on it, tags and prices for Surface 2 and pro 2, but the tablets on display were still the originals.. Fucking fail FS.. oh and they were still running 8, not 8.1.

Same deal at my local FS. Surface Touch Covers were just thrown on the floor in the Android tablet section, no where near the Surfaces.

Still, ended up picking up a purple Type Cover 2 for my Surface RT to replace my black Touch Cover. What a difference it makes, wow. I like this little keyboard almost as much as I loved my MacBook Air's keyboard back when I owned it. It's great to type on, and the colour has already gotten some great looks and comments. 8.1 has really improved things for me, I think I may hold out until Surface 3 - that is, unless something really awesome comes along. Though, I envy the new stand position, USB 3, and the new screen greatly :( I would really like to see some more users going in depth comparing some use cases of the RT vs 2.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

haha, same thing happened to me yesterday at the FS by Ikea

edit: I do like the big Windows section in the store now though.

TylerD

I absolutely love my surface 2. Don't even have a keyboard cover. The true multitasking is so great.

Only problem I have really run in to is my sound got borked and I had to reboot.

I need to sell off my OG iPad now.

asdad123

How is the PDF reading on the surface pro? I'm looking to consolidate my iPad/laptop into one and this looks like a good alternative.

I'm mainly gonna have pdfs of my engineering books on it.

Feep

Banned
How is the PDF reading on the surface pro? I'm looking to consolidate my iPad/laptop into one and this looks like a good alternative.

How is *normal computing task* on the Surface Pro?

Answer: fine

aaaaa0

It should render PDFs awesomely.

You have the choice of the official Win32 Adobe PDF Reader, FoxIt or any other Win32 reader, or if you want touch, your choice of Microsoft's Metro PDF reader, or Adobe's Reader Touch.

You can use any or all of them, and switch which one is the default whenever you want.

dem

It sounds crazy.. but the extra click in the kickstand is so freaking great. I can't believe they didn't do this in the first place.

The screen, kickstand, and speed just knock it out of the park. Big upgrade over 1.

senahorse

Something I love about the Surface Pro 2 I don't see mentioned a great deal is the speakers. The sound quality is pretty amazing for something in a tablet, almost surround like qualities in some instances and nice range of volume.

How loud are the fans?

So far I have only noticed them when playing a game and pushing the GPU. You can hear the fans pretty easily but they aren't distracting, at least not for me. The game audio generally drowns it out.

Wurdfurd

I have a 3rd gen iPad, and all i use it for nowadays is youtube and the occasional browsing (usually GAF).

I think i might get a Surface RT2 when this thing gives out (been freezing alot lately, still iOS6...never 7)

How is IE as a simple browser on the Surface? I like the metro apps for RSS readers, netflix, and twitter, but the browser would be the gamebreaker for me.

senahorse

IE on surface is fine. My preferred browser is generally Chrome, but I haven't found the need to install it yet (surface pro 2 owner here).

VertPin

I am part of the Surface Pro 2 (256 gig) family as of yesterday! I am loving it, and my Type Cover 2 purple keyboard. Windows 8.1 is amazing too.

dem

Oh no.. I spoke too soon.

I have some weird color banding going on with the tiles. Anyone else have that?? Verticals stripes.. like my color is set too low.

SRG01

So, the MS store massively discounted the Surface Pro 1 such that it's now a serious consideration for me. Should I pony up the cash for it (I need a better tablet for teaching) or should I simply save up for the Pro 2? The battery life of the original Pro scares me, but is the Pro 2 worth the price premium?

asdad123

It should render PDFs awesomely.

You have the choice of the official Win32 Adobe PDF Reader, FoxIt or any other Win32 reader, or if you want touch, your choice of Microsoft's Metro PDF reader, or Adobe's Reader Touch.

You can use any or all of them, and switch which one is the default whenever you want.

Cool. I might go to best buy tomorrow to check it out.

I wonder if they'll match the 10% off for students like the microsoft store. Id rather buy there since I have $150 in rewards points.

Hm... Might just order it online tomorrow if I like it.

$999 - 10% student - 5% online shopping cash back from discover - 5% microsoft store discover cashback.

After all the cashback it should be around $850 after taxes. Thats not too bad.

I sold my Surface RT a month after getting it because it was simply not ready for primetime.

I am definitely getting an iPad Air as I have enough apps on iOS that miss it (I sold an iPad 2 for the Surface), but goddam the S2 looks hot and fast as hell.

NeOak

So, the MS store massively discounted the Surface Pro 1 such that it's now a serious consideration for me. Should I pony up the cash for it (I need a better tablet for teaching) or should I simply save up for the Pro 2? The battery life of the original Pro scares me, but is the Pro 2 worth the price premium?

Yes. That second position of the kickstand and the ~50% extra battery life makes it worth it. Plus Haswell.

madmook

I have a 3rd gen iPad, and all i use it for nowadays is youtube and the occasional browsing (usually GAF).

I think i might get a Surface RT2 when this thing gives out (been freezing alot lately, still iOS6...never 7)

How is IE as a simple browser on the Surface? I like the metro apps for RSS readers, netflix, and twitter, but the browser would be the gamebreaker for me.
Got a Surface RT2 today, it is charging now, and I will boot it up a little bit later and then I can give detailed GAF browsing impressions. First test will be gif-heavy threads. People have said that Surface does better with them than iPad, but I need to see for myself.

dem

Can someone tell me if they have slight vertical color banding on the tiles?

I can't notice it except on the plain color tiles. Its driving me crazy now.

I'll try to take pictures in a bit

My surface pro 2 256gb should ship hopefully soon. Anyone order it (and it said it will ship by december 15th) get theirs shipped yet? Just curious. : P

dem

People need to understand how awesome it is to be able to multitask on a tablet.
No ustream app.. still able to watch ustream and browse GAF.

I love my iPad... but stuff like this makes it feel really dated or something. Surface 2 handles this shit like a champ.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
People need to understand how awesome it is to be able to multitask on a tablet.

I love my iPad... but stuff like this makes it feel really dated or something. Surface 2 handles this shit like a champ.

Oh god. Twitch and GAF all day like this. GG.

markot

Banned

Galaxy note 10.1 has been doing that since before surface came out!

Wish all android crap had it though, dont know why samsung is the only one pushing it >.<

kurbaan

Banned
Galaxy note 10.1 has been doing that since before surface came out!

Wish all android crap had it though, dont know why samsung is the only one pushing it >.<

The samsung split screen stuff is pretty crap though. Atleast on the Note 2. It doesnt work smoothy like it does on surfaces and only a some apps support it.

Zeknurn

I put down an order yesterday for a purple Touch Cover 2. It said coming soon but it was the only coloured one that had a buy button. I hope that means it's actually coming soon and not December like the black one.

Yes. That second position of the kickstand and the ~50% extra battery life makes it worth it. Plus Haswell.

I second this. I have been exclusively using the new kickstand position on my Surface Pro 2. The old position is far too steep for me.

Top Bottom