• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

hwalker84

F'ing Best Buy!!! Finally received my Touch Cover 2 and they shipped it in a regular envelope and its been bent. Good job guys!!

Mairu

Yay! Surface Pro 2 is here!

Is there any way to tweak the way applications are displayed in regards to the high DPI stuff? It's really obvious when an application needs to get an update to scale properly - some stuff just gets blown up to look really blurry. Additionally, what browser is everyone using? I guess I might have to try getting used to IE - not having any touch gestures in Chrome sucks (unless there's an extension that can fix this)

dem

fucking futureshop..

I ordered my touch cover weeks ago.. still hasn't shipped.

I go on the website and see that its in stock and has a few available. I email and ask why it hasn't shipped yet. They write back..

"Thank you for contacting Future Shop customer service with regards to the status of your order.

Unfortunately, it appears that your item has not shipped out yet. If you do not receive a shipping notification by tomorrow, please let us know so we can start an investigation. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused."

How about you investigate now you lazy bitch???

Lucius86

Banned

Is there any way to tweak the way applications are displayed in regards to the high DPI stuff? It's really obvious when an application needs to get an update to scale properly - some stuff just gets blown up to look really blurry. Additionally, what browser is everyone using? I guess I might have to try getting used to IE - not having any touch gestures in Chrome sucks (unless there's an extension that can fix this)

Go to Desktop.
Right click desktop -> screen resolution.
Click the link 'Make text and other items larger or smaller'.
Et voilà. I reduced mine to 125% - seems to be a sweet spot with size and graphical enjoyment. 125% meaning half way along the slider I think.

Ganondolf

For people in the UK.

I went to the MS online store and they had the purple type cover 2 available so I decided I will pick one up, its £109 which is expensive but I wanted it.

Added it to basket and I got a message on the top (in red) saying check out now to receive offer (or something like that).

I was like ????? what offer?

looked at the price and it was £59.99 (£50 off).

I have never pressed the submit order button so quick.

Mairu

Go to Desktop.
Right click desktop -> screen resolution.
Click the link 'Make text and other items larger or smaller'.
Et voilà. I reduced mine to 125% - seems to be a sweet spot with size and graphical enjoyment. 125% meaning half way along the slider I think.

Thanks!

hwalker84

So what are some of the gestures that this touch cover 2 supports? For some reason typing on this thing is light years better than the Touch Cover 1. Also Microsoft hasn't updated the trackpad settings application to support the new covers yet.

My SP2 finally shipped. Gonna just stick it out with the regular Touch Cover until the Power Cover comes out, or I'll just grab a Type Cover 2 if I can't be bothered to wait; I really just wanted something to keep my screen safe.

senahorse

Latest purchase for SP2:

Eyesave.MicrofiberLensCloth.5791.jpg

Microfibre cloth. Because goddam these screens attract fingerprints like flies to a dog turd. Luckily you only notice it when the screen is off but damn it's hideous lol

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
A few impressions of my SP2 256.

1) Wow its really fast;
2) Wow its heavier and bulkier than I thought - certainly feels more than 2lbs (this is coming from an iPad 2).
3) I find that surfing in touch mode is 1000x better than iOS and Safari and I actually use the pen from time to time to surf and navigate;
4) I need some time to get used to playing with the type keyboard;
5) Windows 8.1 and I are getting to be friends, but we aren't there yet;
6) Its fantastic to run apps in background, have a full compliment of software available and not have to worry about running flash etc...
7) I actually think that the tablet experience is excellent on Windows 8.1, despite the reviews; and
8) I am terrible at drawing.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member

I was a chome user, but I find IE is a much better experience on the SP2. I just need a refresh gesture....

What's a good price to ask for a Surface Pro 1 (128 GB) with a Touch and Type cover, HDMI and VGA cables? I have one I think I'm going to sell. Was thinking maybe $500.

areal

Any other gaming impressions?

Is there a shortcut or gesture in Windows 8 to "show all Windows", like Exposé in old versions of Mac OS X?

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
FYI bing weather beats the pants off any other tablet weather program I've used. Also taking the type cover off makes a big difference on the weight.

senahorse

Reposting this, in the hope someone has some advice:

Another question though about One Note 2013.

To use handwriting I select draw and use the pen, then when I want to convert the handwriting to text I use the lasso tool. The problem is, after using the lasso tool and converting some text, every time I try to write something else it switches from pen back to lasso. To be able to write again, I need to close One Note and reopen.

Is there something I am doing wrong, or better yet a more elegant way to use handwriting?

Synless

How do I use my xbox live account? It has a different email then my main account.

what I mean is that the main account I logged into is different then the one I use for Xbox live. I can't seem to use my xbl account...

senahorse

That is weird. I'll test it and let you know.

I know it doesn't happen in 2010.

Thanks, it is really weird. I can select the "Type" option at the far left of the toolbar (right beside the lasso select tool). But when the pen gets within range of being detected by the screen it goes back to "Lasso Select".

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Anyone with an RT2 try taking handwritten notes? Is it any more viable? Thinking about pulling the trigger on it but then I see Dell's answer with full 8 and I'm tempted.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Anyone with an RT2 try taking handwritten notes? Is it any more viable? Thinking about pulling the trigger on it but then I see Dell's answer with full 8 and I'm tempted.
it is capacitive, so it probably won't do well with a pen.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
it is capacitive, so it probably won't do well with a pen.

I've seen some weird stylus work pretty well with it, but yeah I realize it's still not on Pro's level. Makes the Venue look better to me..

Lucius86

Banned
The more hours I clock in, the more I realise this device really is an amazing machine. Batman Arkham City ran surprisingly well, more playable than Skyrim!

One additional slight niggle I have found - the pen is not 100% accurate in the extreme top right and top left corners of the screen - not a major issue, but is slightly annoying when you are using the pen to close a maximised window, our entering the 'File' menu.

Anarkin

How do I use my xbox live account? It has a different email then my main account.

what I mean is that the main account I logged into is different then the one I use for Xbox live. I can't seem to use my xbl account...

That's not possible, as far as I know. You need to be signed in with your xbox account.

EDIT: Searched a little... You can transfer your gamertag to your main account.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/billi...witch-gamertag-to-different-microsoft-account

areal

Can anyone comment on two-finger scrolling? I tried out the touch and type covers at Yodobashi and scrolling seemed very finicky. For reference, I currently use a MacBook Air.

Lucius86

Banned
Can anyone comment on two-finger scrolling? I tried out the touch and type covers at Yodobashi and scrolling seemed very finicky. For reference, I currently use a MacBook Air.

I think it's fine, have had no issues with it my end and does exactly what I want it to do. Type cover 2.

Mael

Pro 2 ordered at Fnac.com, will be received next week.
Question for Gaf :
which cover?
type/touch or wait for the one with battery inside?
Also battery life is a BIG issue for me.
So will the other covers drain the battery or something?

joshschw

takes a few mins to get used to but its probably the best scrolling on a windows machine that you will find. Just small and not a slick finish.

Lucius86

Banned
Pro 2 ordered at Fnac.com, will be received next week.
Question for Gaf :
which cover?
type/touch or wait for the one with battery inside?
Also battery life is a BIG issue for me.
So will the other covers drain the battery or something?

Depends on what you expect from battery life and what will you be using your Pro 2 for up until the Power Cover's release.

5-7 hours is a reasonable expectation I think for a SP2 battery life, based on my usage so far - I got 7.5 hours on my first day using OneNote and download, around 5 hours yesterday doing heavy web browsing and playing music.
The keyboard has hardly affected my expected battery life, even with the light up keyboard.
I think the use of the SP2 is severely limited when using just the OSK in desktop mode as well as when using the built-in stand - only in Metro apps can you truly get away without one.

Mael

Depends on what you expect from battery life and what will you be using your Pro 2 for up until the Power Cover's release.

5-7 hours is a reasonable expectation I think for a SP2 battery life, based on my usage so far - I got 7.5 hours on my first day using OneNote and download, around 5 hours yesterday doing heavy web browsing and playing music.
The keyboard has hardly affected my expected battery life, even with the light up keyboard.
I think the use of the SP2 is severely limited when using just the OSK in desktop mode as well as when using the built-in stand - only in Metro apps can you truly get away without one.
I 'm planning on using it as a movie watcher during comute and programming terminal otherwise (otherwise dicking with the stylus because a syntic wasn't really an option right now...).
I can use it for web browsing too but I got a functional mbp and wiiu for that so I'm not forced to use it that way...
I can still plug in normal mouse and keyboards after all while waiting for the power cover....

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Most reviews are saying the type cover 2 is the better buy. And for only $10 more, it is an easy decision.

Top Bottom