• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

Before selling my iPads I've reset them to factory settings with no problem. I'm wondering how you would go about doing that with a Surface Pro? I'm guessing that it would come with its own Windows licence key, so if you formatted it, you could download 8.1 from Microsoft, make a bootable USB, and then enter the key on setup?

hwalker84

Before selling my iPads I've reset them to factory settings with no problem. I'm wondering how you would go about doing that with a Surface Pro? I'm guessing that it would come with its own Windows licence key, so if you formatted it, you could download 8.1 from Microsoft, make a bootable USB, and then enter the key on setup?

No. The Surface Pro and RT have a recovery partition. Just go to Settings and wipe to factory. The key will automatically activate.

Mael

There's an option on the surface in windows 8 to put it back to factory setting I think.
No need to download stuffs.

or that I guess
No. The Surface Pro and RT have a recovery partition. Just go to Settings and wipe to factory. The key will automatically activate.

Liberty4all

Banned
I wanted an iPad Air but this is 70 dollars less with twice the memory.

Does the Surface have torrent clients and can I stream to the ps3/4?

How safe is Windows RT virus wise? I have a Nokia 920 so I'm sure id feel at home with Windows 8.1.

apps I barely use, I use my original iPad almost exclusively for YouTube and surfing.

hwalker84

How safe is Windows RT virus wise? I have a Nokia 920 so I'm sure id feel at home with Windows 8.1.

apps I barely use, I use my original iPad almost exclusively for YouTube and surfing.
Torrent Client - I don't use Torrent's but I believe there is one that is well liked. I can't remember if this board suggested it or another

Stream to PS3/4 - Don't know

Viruses - None

Liberty4all

Banned
Torrent Client - I don't use Torrent's but I believe there is one that is well liked. I can't remember if this board suggested it or another

Stream to PS3/4 - Don't know

Viruses - None

Thanks. The reason I'm asking, I use a 5 year old Acer Netbook right now as my primary device for streaming media from but I think it may be near death's doorstep. I had been thinking for awhile of replacing it. That combined with my current OG iPad also crashing all the time due to lack of memory, I'm looking for an all in one solution.

Zeknurn

My purple Touch Cover 2 from the Swedish Microsoft Store just got shipped.

edit: And it's showing "not in stock" now. I'm glad that I got my order in.

For people in the UK.

I went to the MS online store and they had the purple type cover 2 available so I decided I will pick one up, its £109 which is expensive but I wanted it.

Added it to basket and I got a message on the top (in red) saying check out now to receive offer (or something like that).

I was like ????? what offer?

looked at the price and it was £59.99 (£50 off).

I have never pressed the submit order button so quick.
I wish I'd seen this... the covers seem way too expensive. At £59.99 I'd jump at it.

dLMN8R

If your streaming configuration works with your acer netbook, it'll probably work with the Surface. Windows RT retains most of the network sharing functionality that exists in traditional Windows.

Torrent client: Torrex

Special C

What browser is everybody using? I've been running IE in app mode (whether I'm using touch or mouse) and am encountering some loading issues when "opening in new tab." The same sites load fine when "opening In new window."

I heard Chrome app was not working well with touch.

dLMN8R

What browser is everybody using? I've been running IE in app mode (whether I'm using touch or mouse) and am encountering some loading issues when "opening in new tab." The same sites load fine when "opening In new window."

I heard Chrome app was not working well with touch.

IE had a bunch of problems that were just fixed with an update over the weekend. The update isn't being pushed to everyone yet, but should be available in Windows Update. Check it out and see if it fixes your issues:

PC Settings --> Update & Recovery

Special C

IE had a bunch of problems that were just fixed with an update over the weekend. The update isn't being pushed to everyone yet, but should be available in Windows Update. Check it out and see if it fixes your issues:

PC Settings --> Update & Recovery

Lo and behold, my start screen is showing an update is ready to install. Thanks for the heads up!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
you can just disable it in Intels control panel on the Pro. That's not an issue. It is that way on every Intel laptop.

the problem child is the Surface, non-pro

Can anyone point me to this "intel's control panel" on the pro? Can't seem to find it. Unless it's something I need to download?

[Edit] I tried to install the latest Intel drivers to get the CP:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/De..., 64-bit*&DownloadType= Drivers

And it tells me it's not validated for this computer. I could probably pull just the driver out of the exe but that's not gonna get me the CP.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Anybody else have bluetooth connection issues between their SP2 and windows phone? Mine connects, then loses connection instantly.

Discusguy

Wanting to pick up the Surface 2. For owners of 32GB models have you guys ever seriously regretted buying the 32GB models because of the space available.

Ganondolf

Anybody else have bluetooth connection issues between their SP2 and windows phone? Mine connects, then loses connection instantly.

I had this on my surface rt the other day. it turns out that this is suppose to happen. you need to press send/receive file on the Bluetooth icon (bottom righty in desktop) and then they connect and send.

not sure how you do tethering over Bluetooth yet

Ganondolf

I wish I'd seen this... the covers seem way too expensive. At £59.99 I'd jump at it.

it was £109.99 on the site, it was only when I put it in my basket it showed the reduced price. might be worth giving it a try.

I am trying to link my type cover with the surface cover app but it is not recognising the cover. I vaguely remember there is a way to get it to find it but cant remember how. does anyone know?

Ganondolf

Wanting to pick up the Surface 2. For owners of 32GB models have you guys ever seriously regretted buying the 32GB models because of the space available.

I have the surface 1 and got the 32gb model. I was worried when I bought it that 32gb would not be enough but I got a 64gb sd card and also moved the recovery portion to a usb stick (also 8.1 takes less space than 8 did). with all that done and all my apps installed I still have 20.3gb on the surface and 51.7gb left on my sd card after a year.

it was £109.99 on the site, it was only when I put it in my basket it showed the reduced price. might be worth giving it a try.
Yeah I tried that (as well as adding the Surface itself to the basket) only a few hours after you posted that with no joy. Looks like you nipped in at the last minute!

Dazzla

Picking my 32GB S2 up tomorrow. Saved as many pennies as I can. Bought it from Tesco so got £30 off straight away with a voucher code. Plus today is club card voucher day so saved another whopping £11.50. Ended up paying £317.50.

Would have loved to get the £50 off a keyboard in the MS store. I went as far as buying the purple type cover from Game as I had £2.10 reward points there!

kharma45

Picking my 32GB S2 up tomorrow. Saved as many pennies as I can. Bought it from Tesco so got £30 off straight away with a voucher code. Plus today is club card voucher day so saved another whopping £11.50. Ended up paying £317.50.

Would have loved to get the £50 off a keyboard in the MS store. I went as far as buying the purple type cover from Game as I had £2.10 reward points there!

The Tesco deal on the S2 is pretty good.

Discusguy

There is an SD card port.. so no.

I have the surface 1 and got the 32gb model. I was worried when I bought it that 32gb would not be enough but I got a 64gb sd card and also moved the recovery portion to a usb stick (also 8.1 takes less space than 8 did). with all that done and all my apps installed I still have 20.3gb on the surface and 51.7gb left on my sd card after a year.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I was debating between the 64GB or the 32GB but I'd rather spend the $100 on an SD card and other accessories for the surface instead of the 64GB model.

Treo360

Sold my srt for 250 with the touch keyboard (I bought both for 260) and am prepping for my S2. 32 or 64? I was a fan of installing apps on my sd card, now with 8.1 breaking that, I'm on the fence.

dem

Wonderful... Finally got my type cover 2 and the freaking keys don't work.

They light up.. The mouse works... But no typing..

Microsoft....! Grrr

dem

Oh what the fuck.. Now I just tried to refresh the surface.. And I got blue screened.

Page fault in non paged area

Wonderful... Finally got my type cover 2 and the freaking keys don't work.

They light up.. The mouse works... But no typing..

Microsoft....! Grrr

some sort of weird glitch, same thing happened to me.

Right click start > device manager (or swipe in from the right edge and search device manager), then under other devices, right click the unknown device and update driver. choose from a list on your pc, then choose surface type cover, you may need to uncheck the box at the top to show it.

Then it worked for me fine.

dem

The refresh fixed it. I looked in the device manager before refreshing and didn't see any unknown devices.

asdad123

So Im very close to placing an order for the Surface Pro 2. Before I do, how is everyone doing on battery life?

Ive seen reviews ranging from 4 to nearly 7 hours so thats a pretty large range.

edit: Ahhhh fuck it. Ordered the 256gb/8gb ram version. $1260 after tax, plus Ill be getting 10% back through discover.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
So Im very close to placing an order for the Surface Pro 2. Before I do, how is everyone doing on battery life?

Ive seen reviews ranging from 4 to nearly 7 hours so thats a pretty large range.

edit: Ahhhh fuck it. Ordered the 256gb/8gb ram version. $1260 after tax, plus Ill be getting 10% back through discover.

7 for normal use i think.

Top Bottom