• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

dem

Btw.. here is what I'm talking about with the color banding. Someone on surfaceforums.net says he has the same thing going on..

(excuse the terrible iPhone pictures)

uXi0MRQ.jpg

You can see a line on the left side of the mail tile.

EzErN2d.jpg

lifQH9B.jpg

You can see a line in the middle of this green tile.

So is this a normal thing? This is on a surface 2.. not a pro.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Btw.. here is what I'm talking about with the color banding. Someone on surfaceforums.net says he has the same thing going on..

(excuse the terrible iPhone pictures)

uXi0MRQ.jpg

You can see a line on the left side of the mail tile.

EzErN2d.jpg

lifQH9B.jpg

You can see a line in the middle of this green tile.

So is this a normal thing? This is on a surface 2.. not a pro.

ive yet to see a display that hasnt had banding in my life.

edit: yeah my pro 2 has subtle banding on the mail tile, though not as pronounced as in that pic.

If I cancel my order on the microsoft store how long will it take to get my refund? Mine hasn't shipped yet and I feel like going to the store and buying one.

dem

Tip for people in Canada.. Change your computer region to United States.

I couldn't figure out why I couldn't find Flixster or ESPN in the app store when I knew I had seen those apps before. Changed my region to United States and there they were.

No. The Surface Pro and RT have a recovery partition. Just go to Settings and wipe to factory. The key will automatically activate.
There's an option on the surface in windows 8 to put it back to factory setting I think.
No need to download stuffs.
Yeah the keys are tied to the machine.
Just to follow up on this, I was watching a few Surface Pro vids and one was demonstrating that you can backup this recovery partition to a flash drive, and then delete the partition, which gives you almost 8GB of extra storage space. Considering how limited we are on storage with this expensive memory, this seems worth it, particularly those with the 64GB model.

So my question would then be... if I were to lose this backup, what are my options? Making a bootable USB drive from a copy of Windows downloaded from MS? Do the keys stay in the machine even if you delete the recovery partition?

hwalker84

Just to follow up on this, I was watching a few Surface Pro vids and one was demonstrating that you can backup this recovery partition to a flash drive, and then delete the partition, which gives you almost 8GB of extra storage space. Considering how limited we are on storage with this expensive memory, this seems worth it, particularly those with the 64GB model.

So my question would then be... if I were to lose this backup, what are my options? Making a bootable USB drive from a copy of Windows downloaded from MS? Do the keys stay in the machine even if you delete the recovery partition?

I believe they do somehow. One of the fixes for the Windows 8.1 RT update BSOD from Microsoft themselves was to download their usb recovery image. Either that contained new keys or your key is tied to something else in the machine.

TylerD

Do you guys have to open up links in new tabs or new windows with mobile IE 11 to get the videos or content to load? I am having to do that on GAF and I don't think I have tested it outside of GAF. If i go to desktop IE I don't have the same problem, youtube links, image links, site links open and load just fine.

NeOak

Do you guys have to open up links in new tabs or new windows with mobile IE 11 to get the videos or content to load? I am having to do that on GAF and I don't think I have tested it outside of GAF. If i go to desktop IE I don't have the same problem, youtube links, image links, site links open and load just fine.

Embedded videos don't work on mobile GAF in WP8 yet.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
...but seriously dudes how do I get the Intel control panel on my Pro 2, it won't let me install the Intel drivers, says they're not approved for the device.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I have this problem with windows 8.1 in general and its driving me crazy. Every time I click on a link, the new tab opens up blank and doesn't load the site. Grrr.

NeOak

...but seriously dudes how do I get the Intel control panel on my Pro 2, it won't let me install the Intel drivers, says they're not approved for the device.

I posted this a while ago:

You can't. The Intel drivers are older than the ones that come with the surface pro 2.

Any game I tried crashed with those drivers.

Next release, you have to manually install them through the device manager. But for now: nope.

Special C

I have this problem with windows 8.1 in general and its driving me crazy. Every time I click on a link, the new tab opens up blank and doesn't load the site. Grrr.

Same here. Somebody posted earlier than an update fixed this. I got the update but didn't get a chance to test it out. Scroll up a bit.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I posted this a while ago:

You can't. The Intel drivers are older than the ones that come with the surface pro 2.

Any game I tried crashed with those drivers.

Next release, you have to manually install them through the device manager. But for now: nope.

Well poop.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
gaf has had problems with IE11 since the preview. think it is something to do with the service they use to make money on each click of a link. redirects to something and IE11 does not like that.

mm04

My sister sent back her Surface 1 (she's had for a handful of months) because it was having hardware issues. Microsoft called her yesterday and is sending her a Surface 2 back instead. Dammit! Of course mine is a flawless launch version which has never experienced an issue.

Tangeroo

My sister sent back her Surface 1 (she's had for a handful of months) because it was having hardware issues. Microsoft called her yesterday and is sending her a Surface 2 back instead. Dammit! Of course mine is a flawless launch version which has never experienced an issue.

By sent it back, I'm assuming you mean she sent it back to the Microsoft Store, right?

Neverfade

So in the announcement thread, someone posted a couple videos of a fella showing off several features of the RT, including streaming through Xbox. I can get several things to stream just fine, but in the video he uses the Pandora web app to play some tracks and for me on my Pro 2, I'm unable to recreate this. I get "You can only play from apps." in the charms bar.

What am I missing? He clearly got it to work without problems.

Edit: Video in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7FUherhyvI

I figured it out on my own if anyone else was curious:

You have to Play to Device from Internet Explorer 10 in app mode....which is only available is IE10 is your default browser. What a pain.

strata8

I want to replace my laptop + tablet and I'm not sure whether to get the ASUS Transformer Book T100 or the Surface 2. Here's what I currently do with my laptop (HP DM1):

- Browsing the internet (if I'm going to be typing)
- University work (Office)
- Photo management/viewing on the road (camera uses microSD)
- Terraria (sometimes)

The ASUS is $599 and the Surface 2 + Type Cover $789. Both are 64GB, so I'd be paying $190 more for significantly (infinitely, even) better build quality and a significantly better display. The keyboard might also be more capable on the S2 judging from the reviews of the T100 I've been reading.

Would the Surface 2 work fine for my uses, and is it worth the extra $190? How well does it work on your lap if you're sitting on a couch for example?

I just wanted to say that after just a few days my user experience with the Surface RT2 is light years more enjoyable than my Kindle 8.9.

App switching... on screen keyboard responsiveness...

And Internet Explorer 11.....

Ive used Silk and I've sideloaded other browsers on the Fire. None are in the class of IE 11.

This may be the best $500 decision I've made in awhile. Excellent tablet experience... even without one of Microsoft's keyboards.

Just watched NBA League Pass broadband on a non-ios/android device.... cause the browser is a mature browser.

Awesome.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I want to replace my laptop + tablet and I'm not sure whether to get the ASUS Transformer Book T100 or the Surface 2. Here's what I currently do with my laptop (HP DM1):

- Terraria (sometimes)

The ASUS is $599 and the Surface 2 + Type Cover $789. Both are 64GB, so I'd be paying $190 more for significantly (infinitely, even) better build quality and a significantly better display. The keyboard might also be more capable on the S2 judging from the reviews of the T100 I've been reading.

Would the Surface 2 work fine for my uses, and is it worth the extra $190? How well does it work on your lap if you're sitting on a couch for example?

t100, i think you can play terraria on it too.

t100, i think you can play terraria on it too.

Maybe...but.

Surface 2 comes with a much better screen, comes with 2 years of 200 gb cloud storage and a year of free Skype. Also, aren't the cameras on the RT2 better as well? Build quality of the hardware?

Strata8...why not just keep the DM1. If it's the one I just looked up on ebay it looks like a nice device.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

- Terraria (sometimes)

Don't forget the 200gb of SkyDrive space. I'm sure you could store a ton of photos on there.

strata8

Maybe...but.

Surface 2 comes with a much better screen, comes with 2 years of 200 gb cloud storage and a year of free Skype. Also, aren't the cameras on the RT2 better as well? Build quality of the hardware?

The build differences are pretty significant. The Surface 2 has a magnesium case that doesn't pick up fingerprints, while the T100 is clear, glossy, flexible plastic that gets greasy incredibly quickly and is hard to clean.

surface-2-3.jpg

IMGP1530-580-90.jpg

The display on the Surface is also laminated, 50% brighter, 1920x1080 vs. 1366x768, and the colour accuracy is far better:
59136.png

Surface has 3.5MP front and 5MP back and the T100 has only a 1.2MP front.

I know it sounds like I'm trying to look for an excuse to buy the Surface, which is kinda true. I'm just not sure whether the higher price matches the improvements you get.

Strata8...why not just keep the DM1. If it's the one I just looked up on ebay it looks like a nice device.

It's not, unfortunately. The build quality is one of the worst I've ever seen (hairline cracks along the side of the case and screen stops working randomly), it takes ages to come out of standby, the performance is rubbish due to the HDD, the display is terrible, and it only lasts 4 1/2 hours on a charge. I bought it because it was $280 and it's worked okay for what I use it for so far.

I've got a 2012 Nexus 7 as well which needs to be replaced because it's a bit too slow for my liking. But it's going to cost $824 to replace both of them with newer models ($339 + $485) and that's with the 32GB Nexus 7 and a laptop that's still bound to be pretty bad. I'm getting so much more bang for my buck with a hybrid like the Surface or T100.

strata8

Just found out I can get the Surface 2 64GB for $575 as a student, so it's $725 as a touch cover. I think it's definitely worth it for $125 more.

I'd buy the T100 in a heartbeat over the S2 if the case was matte plastic and the screen weren't so dim.

senahorse

New surface accessories:

mouse_zps5b471a9b.jpg~original

1 x Edimax USB3.0 Gigabit ethernet adapter
1x Gigabyte M7700B Bluetooth mouse

Logitech mouse shown for scale.

Very happy with both. The ethernet adapter I tested to about 300Mb/s, far cry from gig but I was expecting that, and much faster than the official adapter :).

Just found out I can get the Surface 2 64GB for $575 as a student, so it's $725 as a touch cover. I think it's definitely worth it for $125 more.

I'd buy the T100 in a heartbeat over the S2 if the case was matte plastic and the screen weren't so dim.

Note: The Surface 2 will not run Terraria until it is ported to the Store (if ever), as it does not run legacy Windows applications on the desktop, aside from the included software. The T100, however, will, since it is Intel-based. Something to think about.

strata8

Note: The Surface 2 will not run Terraria until it is ported to the Store (if ever), as it does not run legacy Windows applications on the desktop, aside from the included software. The T100, however, will, since it is Intel-based. Something to think about.

Yeah, I know. But I didn't use any desktop programs apart from IE, Office and a basic image editor (XnView) so I think I'll be fine. I've got a desktop PC for everything else, and I think I'd rather give up Terraria than compromise on build and screen quality with the T100. I've gone through enough poorly built laptops and Anand even said that the Surface line "remain the absolute best built Windows tablets/notebooks on the market".

I'll be keeping the DM1 anyway (I can't sell it) so I can still use it to play lower power desktop games if I want to. I just wish the Surface 2 had Bay Trail, though I reckon the GPU would perform much worse than the Tegra 4.

Nero3000

- Terraria (sometimes)

You could drop the cost and go for the 32GB Surface and add an SD card at a later date.

hwalker84

Are you in a different country? The prices aren't making sense to me? Student discount is 10%

64GB Surface 2 ($550 - $55) = $495 + $120 for Touch Cover 2 = $615 + Tax?

strata8

Are you in a different country? The prices aren't making sense to me? Student discount is 10%

64GB Surface 2 ($550 - $55) = $495 + $120 for Touch Cover 2 = $615 + Tax?

Australia. 64GB Surface 2 is AUD$640 here including 10% tax. So AUD$580 before tax which converts to USD$550. Type Cover 2 is AUD$135 before tax. The sales tax is nation wide so it has to be included in the price.

So it's (($580 - $58) + $135)*1.1 = ~AUD$725.

The ASUS T100 is AUD$600 here (AUD$545 before tax or USD$520) which is why I'm considering the Surface 2 instead. Obviously it's not in the same price bracket in the US at USD$400 vs. USD$550 for the Surface 2.

I thought you couldn't add SD storage to libraries? It'll mostly be used for videos, but it'll be nice to have an extra 30GB for apps anyway (17GB vs. 46GB)
Yeah I was under the impression that you couldn't install 'apps' to the SD on Windows RT. I understand it's a bit of a hassle to install things to the SD on Surface Pros as well (involving renaming drive letters).

Nero3000

I thought you couldn't add SD storage to libraries? It'll mostly be used for videos, but it'll be nice to have an extra 30GB for apps anyway (17GB vs. 46GB)

I &believe* you can add folders from SD cards into libraries in RT 8.1 but installing apps to SD card is not supported.

Synless

Does anyone have a solution to when opening links (ex: youtube) it opens up an "about.blank" page and doesn't take me to where the link should? I have to right click, and then open in new tab/window for it to work.

Nero3000

Does anyone have a solution to when opening links (ex: youtube) it opens up an "about.blank" page and doesn't take me to where the link should? I have to right click, and then open in new tab/window for it to work.

It's an issue for NeoGAF in IE11.

Just switch tabs and then back again an it'll load.

For those thinking about getting a Surface 2 RT you only need the 32gig option. It has a USB 3.0 port which accepts external hard drives and has 200 gigs of cloud storage for 2 years free. You really don't need 64 gigs. It'll save you some money to spend on the Type Keyboard which is incredible. Feel free to PM with questions, I have a Surface 2 32 RT and really enjoy the experience so far.

strata8

For those thinking about getting a Surface 2 RT you only need the 32gig option. It has a USB 3.0 port which accepts external hard drives and has 200 gigs of cloud storage for 2 years free. You really don't need 64 gigs. It'll save you some money to spend on the Type Keyboard which is incredible. Feel free to PM with questions, I have a Surface 2 32 RT and really enjoy the experience so far.

Eh, 17GB doesn't really seem like enough, even if it's just used for apps. I ordered the 64GB Surface 2 earlier tonight and will be buying a 64GB microSD anyway to store music and videos. The 12 seasons of TV shows I have are 34GB in total and the idea of keeping that all on a tablet is rather exciting, hee hee.

Top Bottom