• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

Gallbaro

Banned
Just waiting on the Battery Type Cover to replace my
water damaged
touch cover on my pro 1.

That picture above actually reminds me of another question I had about the Surface in general. It'll be nice to have a USB port, but how does it handle hubs and everything? Being a student, it'd be nice to have a mouse and a flash drive plugged in at the same time but it feels like it might be burdensome.

I have a 4 port USB 3.0 hub currently plugged into the one I am typing on now (No External Power Source).

That hub is running a mechanical keyboard, charging my phone, running an external USB 3.0 hard drive (No external power source) and a mouse.

I run hyper V virtual machines off of the external hard drive.

That picture above actually reminds me of another question I had about the Surface in general. It'll be nice to have a USB port, but how does it handle hubs and everything? Being a student, it'd be nice to have a mouse and a flash drive plugged in at the same time but it feels like it might be burdensome.

About halfway into this video you get your answer.

If you can find a decent USB hub, plugging in a mouse, keyboard and flash drive should work on the SRT2 just fine.

Found the first notable problem with my Pro 2. Used my headphones to watch a film in bed - there's a bunch of hiss coming through the jack. Not sure what causes that, but funnily enough the other device I own that exhibits this is my Lumina 800 (to a far worse extent). iPad and Vita have zero hiss on the same headphones.

Mairu

Typing of the Dead on Surface is a perfect match. Runs fantastic as well, $8 on GMG if anyone is interested :D

Yeah, although I can play much faster with a full mechanical keyboard, it runs fine and plays well with the type cover

senahorse

Oh for sure, though I am becoming quite proficient with the type cover, it certainly isn't a handicap when playing the game (in terms of being detrimental to the enjoyment).

Tablo

Unless you'd consider something like the power cover, which will increase battery life substantially, it's not going to happen without sacrificing performance. Broadwell alone won't bring 50%. And besides more battery life, people have also been clamoring for a thinner, lighter form factor. They can't do it all. There are always trade-offs. And I don't think Microsoft will reduce the performance.

Broadwell is more of a jump in efficiency than Ivy-->Haswell...Jumping a node (22->14nm) and more efficient graphics and SOC architecture with probably more fixed function low power stuff. If they keep the same battery capacity they could pull off 50% more, they might not and just slim it down though.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
after owning the sp2 for a week id like to share my impressions for prospective buyers:

as a laptop:

gaming performance is fantastic but touch control in steam games might not work as well as you would expect, xcom is playable with touch controls but it feels finicky. i often had to double press buttons to get them to work.

the desktop app can feel a little cramped at times but there's also a weird pleasure that comes with operating full windows in such a small screen with such a high resolution. i cant help but feel posh, like im using a spy gadget. and though its cramped, im never squinting to see things or generally uncomfortable. actually, the only time the screen size feels restrictive is when youre trying to micro in starcraft. but once again on the posh factor, having starcraft run so well on such a small and slim device just feels cool.

as tablet:

way better than i expected. i never feel uncomfortable using this as a tablet. i used my hp touchpad resting on my lap on the bus, and i do the same with the pro. in fact its more comfortable that the hp touch pad on the bus because sometimes i feel like just using the kick stand.

also, as a tablet, it feels so stupidly fast. yes the pro is a bulky and weighty tablet (though still comfortable in my opinion), but its also by far the fastest tablet of this size and weight on the market. zipping around the internet on tablet feels really cool, it feels like a nice surprise each time.

that's it for now. i definitely recommend this for people who are looking to have a good ~$900 laptop and tablet as one device rather than blowing $300 on a generally comparable tablet (nexus 7) and $600 on what would probably be a worse laptop, and then having to sync files between them. not to mention the weight and space issues of carrying two devices.

all in all:

if you put about equal stock in the laptop and tablet experiences, then i would get a sp2.

if you put 75%+ weight on the laptop experience and dont care about drawing, i would look at the yoga2

maeh2k

Broadwell is more of a jump in efficiency than Ivy-->Haswell...Jumping a node (22->14nm) and more efficient graphics and SOC architecture with probably more fixed function low power stuff. If they keep the same battery capacity they could pull off 50% more, they might not and just slim it down though.

Even Intel claims only 30% battery life improvement with Broadwell. So they can either keep the much-criticized size and weight the same and get 30% more battery life at the same performance, or they can make it 10% to 15% lighter at the same battery life and performance.

senahorse

Just had another go at transferring a 7GB folder using the edimax usb3.0 gigabit eithernet adapter. This time the speed ranged from 560Mb/s - 880Mb/s. Very impressed for a $20 adapter, much better than the official accessory which is limited to 100Mb/s.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Question for the Mail app. Is there any way to consolidate the boxes? It automatically split them into mail/newsletters/social media and I hate that shit. I just want one mail box. I use Outlook 90% of the time but for a quick check of the mail the app wouldn't be terrible.

Question for the Mail app. Is there any way to consolidate the boxes? It automatically split them into mail/newsletters/social media and I hate that shit. I just want one mail box. I use Outlook 90% of the time but for a quick check of the mail the app wouldn't be terrible.
Mine seems to be the other way around? On the Gmail website I get my mail split into three tabs, but using the Mail app on Surface puts everything into one inbox...

hwalker84

Mine seems to be the other way around? On the Gmail website I get my mail split into three tabs, but using the Mail app on Surface puts everything into one inbox...

He's talking abut different accounts into one unified mailbox. If this the case I'm not sure. I hate mail like that.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
He's talking abut different accounts into one unified mailbox. If this the case I'm not sure. I hate mail like that.

No I'm not. I have my one e-mail account I set up when I first turned the thing on. Opened mail app, all of my mail was separated into 3 different folders instead of just all 5000 mails in one inbox like in Outlook or on the web version or whatever.

hwalker84

No I'm not. I have my one e-mail account I set up when I first turned the thing on. Opened mail app, all of my mail was separated into 3 different folders instead of just all 5000 mails in one inbox like in Outlook or on the web version or whatever.

Dont know. I know you can uncheck the categories from showing up on the side but that just makes it harder to see those emails.

I'm an expert

Dont know. I know you can uncheck the categories from showing up on the side but that just makes it harder to see those emails.

yessssss I got it. Had to actually choose the account in the charms settings menu and then you can uncheck that shit.

yessssss I got it. Had to actually choose the account in the charms settings menu and then you can uncheck that shit.
Oh, and that shows all email upon opening the app? I want to like the Mail app, buy they seem to have made it worse with those empty button icons which look like a mistake.

joshschw

You can turn that off, I don't know why it does that. Rather annoying.

I can't figure out any way to see my SENT ITEMS folder, which is truly mind boggling. lol

I'm an expert

You can turn that off, I don't know why it does that. Rather annoying.

I can't figure out any way to see my SENT ITEMS folder, which is truly mind boggling. lol

For that just tap folders on the left side and hit the star next to Sent to put the sent folder on the menu.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Type Keyboard 2 wasn't recognized by Pro 2 this morning, after sleeping the machine last night. Clicked it into a Surface 2 that was in the office, worked find there. Checked Microsoft boards, found suggestion to "hard reboot" by holding power button for ten seconds then powering back on. Worked.

Just FYI, if anyone else has that issue.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Is the Surface Pro 2 worth $200 over the Surface Pro 1? I don't need the increased battery life (it'll be plugged in most times) and I don't care about the new kickstand. Anyone use them both can compare the differences in actual use?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Is the Surface Pro 2 worth $200 over the Surface Pro 1? I don't need the increased battery life (it'll be plugged in most times) and I don't care about the new kickstand. Anyone use them both can compare the differences in actual use?

i use the new kickstand position 90% of the time, and improved graphics are pretty noticeable.

commish

i use the new kickstand position 90% of the time, and improved graphics are pretty noticeable.

I secretly hate you. I wanted to save some money! :p I guess it's "only" 200 more bucks, and since I'm passing on the PS4 for now...

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I secretly hate you. I wanted to save some money! :p I guess it's "only" 200 more bucks, and since I'm passing on the PS4 for now...

:p

i passed on a ps4 for the exact same reason, but yeah i think its still worth it even without a major concern for battery life:

- faster cpu
- faster graphics
- runs cooler
- 2nd position kickstand is a bigger deal than one would think
- better color accuracy (or so they say)

Yeah I never owned a Surface 1 but from playing with the Pro 2 for a couple of days I can't imagine only having that one angle, what were they thinking! I want a third even lower angle! Surface 3 pls

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Yeah I never owned a Surface 1 but from playing with the Pro 2 for a couple of days I can't imagine only having that one angle, what were they thinking! I want a third even lower angle! Surface 3 pls

same here, id like about 4-5 positions.

commish

I haven't tried the new angle on the surfaces, but I already own a Surface RT (woohoo) and I didn't have many problems with the angle. Of course, the inferiority of the old angle will probably be apparent once I try the new one.

I haven't tried the new angle on the surfaces, but I already own a Surface RT (woohoo) and I didn't have many problems with the angle. Of course, the inferiority of the old angle will probably be apparent once I try the new one.

It is better. They both have their uses, mind you. Even the first position is slightly more angled, I believe at 24 rather than 22 degrees. If you put the 2 devices side by side its noticeable. The Surface 2 is more stable in both positions now, at the expense of a slightly less satisfying 'flick'. The kickstand itself is thicker, but the device is thinner underneath it to compensate. That's partly due to the fact that the 2's shell is a unibody design rather than several pieces like the original. Really everything about the new devices are more refined.

I will say, however, while I much prefer the finish on the Surface 2 over the original's, it definitely gets scuffed up much easier. The dark titanium finish on the other devices is much more durable at the expense of it being a glossy fingerprint magnet.

maeh2k

That's balls out awesome. We are talking about beefy laptop performance with Ultrabook battery life in a tablet device.

Actually, we are talking about Ultrabook performance with an Ultrabook battery life in an Ultrabook-sized tablet. Still great, though :)

maeh2k

It's not using a low voltage i5, though. Ultrabooks' CPUs are usually slightly nerfed to make the most of the battery.

It's a regular ULV i5 as seen in Ultrabooks. Of course they could have chosen a lower slower model (like the Macbook Air), or a Y series CPU to increase battery life at the cost of performance.
The regular i5 M CPUs still consume quite a bit more power, though.

dem

Geez.. That's quite an improvement for the Pro2.

Hopefully Pro 3 improves the form factor. Until then I'm sticking with the rt.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Actually, we are talking about Ultrabook performance with an Ultrabook battery life in an Ultrabook-sized tablet. Still great, though :)

i cant think of any other computer that is this size and weight that packs as much power and battery life as the sp2.

maeh2k

i cant think of any other computer that is this size and weight that packs as much power and battery life as the sp2.

The Sony Vaio Pro 13 weighs just a bit more (1.05 kg vs 0.91 kg). If you add a touch cover, the Surface Pro weighs more. Apart from the form factor, it's a comparable device.

Edit: The Vaio Pro 11 (0.86 kg) actually weighs less than the Surface Pro 2 without touch cover. Sony uses very light materials for the Vaio Pros. Of course they are also less rigid than the Surface's VaporMg case.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
The Sony Vaio Pro 13 weighs just a bit more (1.05 kg vs 0.91 kg). If you add a touch cover, the Surface Pro weighs more. Apart from the form factor, it's a comparable device.

Edit: The Vaio Pro 11 (0.86 kg) actually weighs less than the Surface Pro 2 without touch cover. Sony uses very light materials for the Vaio Pros. Of course they are also less rigid than the Surface's VaporMg case.

arn't both of those bigger devices though?

Top Bottom