• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

ravien56

Surface pro 1 user here, have any of you guys had issues running Google music from internet explorer?
If I'm running google music off chrome, it works fine but nothing seems to work on internet explorer, the track will show playing but no music.
I also did try to go into music labs settings and enabling html5 audio and still nothing.

joshschw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygz-0bu9U9U

I mean, it's not horrible, but it's pretty terrible. Surface 2 or even RT with keyboard is a better idea for schools. As long as Microsoft has a system in place to offer them at a discount like they do with the RT.

No, it's horrible. What is the point of giving that to a kid. What would they begin to do with it related to education? Then you get that stellar $99 build quality on top of it.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
What would kids do with a super cheapy Android tablet exactly? Play Angry Birds and break it in 3 months?

homework, internet, use the schools software and not break it.

No, it's horrible. What is the point of giving that to a kid. What would they begin to do with it related to education? Then you get that stellar $99 build quality on top of it.

what could they not do? it's android.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

Exactly. We bought my kid a cheap android tablet and he ended up breaking the charger port almost instantly...The thing was built horribly, had a terrible screen, etc.

btrboyev

Surface pro 1 user here, have any of you guys had issues running Google music from internet explorer?
If I'm running google music off chrome, it works fine but nothing seems to work on internet explorer, the track will show playing but no music.
I also did try to go into music labs settings and enabling html5 audio and still nothing.

Use the gmusic app, its nice.

The only problem i have was clicking the play button using touch. But never had that problem

Tablo

homework, internet, use the schools software and not break it.

what could they not do? it's android.
I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic/trolling. Android already isn't the most optimized OS out there, and the weak specs of those bargain bin tablets are ridiculous for actual productivity...

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic/trolling. Android already isn't the most optimized OS out there, and the weak specs of those bargain bin tablets are ridiculous for actual productivity...

im still using my hp touchpad which is even lower spec with that this stuff, combine that with project svelte and your good to go.

Does anyone know if the Surface Pro (either the original model or the revised model) can handle Dark Souls?

I just installed it on my Surface Pro 2 8G/256G via Steam but trying to launch it's going through some very odd song & dance about Game for Windows Marketplace. Alright it's starting up and now I'm logging in and syncing profiles and blah blah. And, flipped over to fullscreen from goofy window. With motion blur and AA on it seems to run sub 20Hz. With both of those enabled it might be holding 30 in simple scenes, but it doesn't feel super smooth. Just hooked up a wired Xbox 360 controller, that actually works fine.

Man, this device is such a dreadful mix of goofy compromises between hardware and software.

NeOak

I just installed it on my Surface Pro 2 8G/256G via Steam but trying to launch it's going through some very odd song & dance about Game for Windows Marketplace. Alright it's starting up and now I'm logging in and syncing profiles and blah blah. And, flipped over to fullscreen from goofy window. With motion blur and AA on it seems to run sub 20Hz. With both of those enabled it might be holding 30 in simple scenes, but it doesn't feel super smooth. Just hooked up a wired Xbox 360 controller, that actually works fine.

Man, this device is such a dreadful mix of goofy compromises between hardware and software.

What did you expect? 120fps on Intel GPU? lol

Also, DS is an awful port...

FFXIV runs fine on it at 720p.

onken

We got a SP1 at work for testing, it was infuriating using touch for something as fiddly as a desktop o/s. Sure, the experience became a hundred times better when you plugged in a mouse and keyboard but at a distance that's comfortable to use either of those the screen is a bit small. I still like the general concept though, I'm just wondering how I would use it in my daily life.

Milchjon

We got a SP1 at work for testing, it was infuriating using touch for something as fiddly as a desktop o/s. Sure, the experience became a hundred times better when you plugged in a mouse and keyboard but at a distance that's comfortable to use either of those the screen is a bit small. I still like the general concept though, I'm just wondering how I would use it in my daily life.

Use the touchpad or the pen?

Tablo

im still using my hp touchpad which is even lower spec with that this stuff, combine that with project svelte and your good to go.

And you would type your assignments on what exactly? Lug around a BT keyboard all day and somehow prop up the tablet to a book or something? Buy a case with a stand for it?

I'm sorry that's not happening, I think you're overstating the usefulness of a tablet like that, best it could be is maybe for research on websites, that's it.

I'm starting to notice the odd problem with IE, when it opens links in new tabs. For example, I was just on the thread about the two planes colliding, and I wanted to follow the link to the video. If I tap the link, it opens in a new tab automatically, and just hangs on a blank screen. But if I tap and hold the link to bring up other options below, and select 'open in new tab', it opens totally fine. If I put the link here you can try it for yourself....

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...-terrifying-collision-and-chaotic-plunge?lite

Does it open fine for anyone with a Surface?

You're using a premium device that was put on a firesale and comparing that experience to a $100 tablet. Antiquated specs or not, your HP TouchPad has a far better build quality than what you're comparing it to.

Izuna

Banned
Yes, but it's pointless. You need to go into dev options and change the user agent. You could grab a phone or just look at the desktop site and enjoy life.

m.neogaf.com?

Jeez, come on now.

BTW I just finished installing Skyrim on the Surface Pro (1st Gen) it looks so much better and runs so much better than New Vegas. I imagine you can tweak the Pro 2 to run at 1080p no grass of something.

I went to John Lewis the other day and tried out the new kickstand and type covers. I was dead set on getting a coloured type cover but after using it, it really does have worse typing performance than the 1st gen. I'm not very happy about that, but the trackpad is much better (same as touch cover now).

But anyway, I'm happy that even after holding it in my hand, I still love the hell out of my 1st gen.

I'm starting to notice the odd problem with IE, when it opens links in new tabs. For example, I was just on the thread about the two planes colliding, and I wanted to follow the link to the video. If I tap the link, it opens in a new tab automatically, and just hangs on a blank screen. But if I tap and hold the link to bring up other options below, and select 'open in new tab', it opens totally fine. If I put the link here you can try it for yourself....

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...-terrifying-collision-and-chaotic-plunge?lite

you can also go back to other tab and then the newly opened tab to make it show. happened to me on my SP2

you can also go back to other tab and then the newly opened tab to make it show. happened to me on my SP2
Oh! You're quite right. Handy to know, thanks. Hopefully they will fix it properly.

The other thing... while I remember... tapping on spoiler-tagged text doesn't reveal it... it flashes once and them goes black again.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Neogaf goes through a link checker, so just hit the tab you opened from and it will show

Really sucks when you have a lot of tabs open though

joshschw

Just type in m.neogaf.com

Better idea. Why don't you try it?

DcwU09o.jpg

I just tried Dark Souls. You're right, it runs like crap by default. However I just used the dsfix to unlock the frame rate, and it's way better, feels smooth. Totally playable at 720p with motion blur. I could even play it with SSAO enabled, but I think I'll do without as it's just that bit smoother. I had SMAA on medium too, but I couldn't even tell if it was working - AA seems an unnecessary luxury on a 10" screen, particularly as DS has a lovely DOF blur by default.

Yes, GFWL is a nightmare, DS was a very basic port, and trying to navigate through both menus with only touch controls and a dualshock was a nightmare. But once you're set up, it's worth it. There's no touch-optimised Dark Souls. There's not many tablets that can play Dark Souls. So as far as I'm concerned, now that it's working, this is amazing.

Futureman

I work in a college bookstore and MS is in our store for the next 2 weeks with a little Surface pop-up store thingy.

What are they demoing? Surface RT and Surface Pro.... NOT the new models. WHY? What a clown move MS.

I work in a college bookstore and MS is in our store for the next 2 weeks with a little Surface pop-up store thingy.

What are they demoing? Surface RT and Surface Pro.... NOT the new models. WHY? What a clown move MS.
I was in London yesterday to watch the tennis at the O2, had to kill some time so I went to Canary Wharf to look at the shops below. Found a PCWorld, and to be fair it was a very small shop, but still in a premium location in the business district of London... there was one Surface, mixed in with some other crap third party Windows devices. It was the original Surface RT.

And it's not like that shop was just way behind - they had two iPad Airs on a separate display front and centre.

Dazzla

I was in London yesterday to watch the tennis at the O2, had to kill some time so I went to Canary Wharf to look at the shops below. Found a PCWorld, and to be fair it was a very small shop, but still in a premium location in the business district of London... there was one Surface, mixed in with some other crap third party Windows devices. It was the original Surface RT.

And it's not like that shop was just way behind - they had two iPad Airs on a separate display front and centre.

That's disappointing. Even the PC World in Swindon has a special Surface stand! It's about 2M x 1M with 6 surfaces on. They had a couple of Surface 2's, couple of Surface Pro 2's and the original Surface. Had a rack with all the accessories as well.

Shame the staff there are idiots, PC World online had a promotion running with 10% off the Surface 2 and the Manager of the store couldn't match it! I was happy to buy it there and then but he said that he couldn't offer the discount because they have to pay the wages of the people in the store.

I'm not sure how much that could've been, when I initially asked a sales girl about the discount and she went away to ask, she came back to the Surface stand and didn't even know who I was! How many people must have been asking about 10% discounts on Surface 2's? Really??

Still, the stand was nice, it's a shame that a London store doesn't have this type of display.

Thanks both of you for trying this. Seems like the performance is borderline. Any idea what frame rate you were seeing at 720p?
Nah I wouldn't call it borderline. It's running smooth, seems like mostly above 30fps but not quite 60. (it's gotta be above 30fps otherwise there wouldn't have been a huge improvement when I unlocked the frame rate with dsfix)

I've just played past the first boss so I can't tell you about Blighttown or somewhere known to have performance problems. There were some frame drops but it's fine. I don't have Dark Souls on console, but put it this way - it's running smoother on the Pro 2 than Demon's Souls on PS3.

Still, the stand was nice, it's a shame that a London store doesn't have this type of display.
Yeah I'm sure the flagship stores are doing a better job. The one in Canary Wharf is very small, probably the smallest PCWorld I've seen actually.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Ended up taking mine back today. After having to refresh or recover several time for various issues (Xbox games not syncing with store, apps stuck in endless pending, cover not putting surface to sleep, ect). Went back to a Mac and iPad, maybe next time.

22 % for 2 hours translates to about 9 hours of battery life, that is pretty damn good, it's even more than my vaio pro manages.
I thought I'd run a fairer test and see how it really performs. I charged it to 100%, kept a timer app running in the background that gave me an alarm every hour, where I would make a note of the battery percentage. The screen stayed on all the time, and it was at default brightness with light sensor, and it was in a fairly bright room. The backlight was working pretty hard. I ran IE constantly, mostly browsing GAF, watching extended YouTube videos (at 720p), which I believe run html5 by default, and watching BBC iPlayer, which seems to be Flash. I had the speakers running between 10 and 16%. I was text chatting on Skype too, and Bluetooth was 'on' but doing nothing.

1hr: 86%
2hrs: 71%
3hrs: 58%
4hrs: 43%
5hrs: 27%

So it would have achieved nearly 7 hours with that usage. I'll run another test more focused on battery conservation and report back.

asdad123

I'm having problems with my surface pro 2.

When pressing the sleep button, and then a couple seconds later pressing it again to wake it, about 50% of the time it won't wake. I have to hold the button and wait for it to hard reset...

Seems like it only happens when I press the button while on internet explorer. Doesn't happen on the desktop.

Any idea?

royalan

When pressing the sleep button, and then a couple seconds later pressing it again to wake it, about 50% of the time it won't wake. I have to hold the button and wait for it to hard reset...

Seems like it only happens when I press the button while on internet explorer. Doesn't happen on the desktop.

Any idea?

That's not a Surface 2 problem. I've been having that exact problem regularly since Windows 7 on my HP (previously Dell) laptop.

strata8

Got my Surface 2 today.

Even when it's restricted to the Windows Store, it still feels really powerful. Running two browser windows side-by-side with flash on a tablet feels nuts, but I'm doing it right now with BoxCar2D.

The Tegra 4 really pumps out heat though, wow. It's fine when you're doing light tasks but as soon as you do anything intensive the top of the tablet gets pretty hot. Not surprised that NVIDIA used a fan in the Shield.

Any idea?

Uh, it doesn't wake at any time after that, or only if you try a few seconds later? Sometimes Windows can take 10+ seconds to go to sleep, because it needs to finish operations, suspend apps, etc, and you won't be able to wake it while it's doing that.

aaaaa0

Any idea?

Doesn't happen on mine. Did you install any non-MS drivers on your Pro 2? Intel Graphics drivers?

Sigma722

Any idea?

I'm having the same issue. The problem is compounded by the fact that if I put it to sleep, it leaves the windows "button" active, which attempts to wake it up the same way, and the next time i hit the powerbutton, i either need to hold it, or it is already starting from an "off" state.

I also feel like it regularly wakes up from sleep, like if i leave it asleep overnight, it will wake up as a cold boot. so anything i had open is gone.

I have an RMA to send it back to MS, but I'm going to take it with me to India first, and see how I feel at the end.

Edit:

Doesn't happen on mine. Did you install any non-MS drivers on your Pro 2? Intel Graphics drivers?

I have the feel drivers installed. That's all.

Jmonkey

Unconfirmed Member
New owner of a 128GB Surface Pro 2 with Type Cover 2!

Got the 10% student discount and the lady that worked at the MS Store even took off $25 for her to show me a "pen" demo.

So far I am loving this little device. I thought the screen might be too small, but I'm already used to it. The weight doesn't really bother me either.

NeOak

New owner of a 128GB Surface Pro 2 with Type Cover 2!

Got the 10% student discount and the lady that worked at the MS Store even took off $25 for her to show me a "pen" demo.

So far I am loving this little device. I thought the screen might be too small, but I'm already used to it. The weight doesn't really bother me either.

Lol the OneNote demo?

The guy was going to do it and I just said "you do this, like this and this, this and this, oh and 2010 introduced this".

Got me 3 coupons for 3 transactions lol

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Failing to address my other 2 points, it's a horrid solution man, BT kb + crap android cheap tablet w/o kickstand is not a good way to get anything done...

build quality varies, i'm sure the 130 dollar asus memopad is of substantial quality.

im sure a case with a kickstand can be found for ~$20.

im dropping it because i know that a hardware thread for a particular brand, whether it be ms/google/apple, isn't the logical place to have an open, level-headed discussion about the merits of various brands. i've already noticed a strong microsoft slant in here, and honestly that's fine, this is the surface thread. but yeah, it's not the place to talk about what non surface products might offer.

Conor 419

Banned
So I'm using that shitty PDF reader thing to annotate my lecture notes, anyone know if

1| There's a better way of doing this
2| If I can change pen colour or any shit like that
3| Why my annotations dissapeared in one case (CONCERNING).

Top Bottom