• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

So I'm using that shitty PDF reader thing to annotate my lecture notes, anyone know if

1| There's a better way of doing this
2| If I can change pen colour or any shit like that
3| Why my annotations dissapeared in one case (CONCERNING).
Just had a look at Reader. No, it doesn't look like you can change the pen. I have no idea why it would lose your annotations, it seems to save fine here. Store selection is limited, but I just tried one called Drawboard PDF, and you can make highlights and change the pen colour, opacity and size.

NeOak

I do use OneNote, I'm using it in a lecture now. I would for annotating handouts, but unfortunately that has to be done via PDF (unless you have a super cool solution).
Print to OneNote? Screen clipping?

If its 2013, uncheck the damn thing for one page per subsection. Its so retarded, I went back to 2010 until I could figure it out.

maeh2k

Conor 419

Banned
I think I assumed PDF Reader would autosave the same way OneNote does, oops. At least I discovered that early.

Thanks for the article, it looks useful. Drawboard mite b kool.

Edit - No, wait

"sometimes loses annotations after app switching"

Fuck

asdad123

So I have a weird... dead/stuck pixel on mine. I just received it from the Microsoft store on Wednesday so I can return it, but id rather not, because I really think its a software issue rather than a hardware issue.

I have a white pixel showing up on my screen on the bottom left corner, but the weird thing, is that it only shows up in the IE app. Once the keyboard pops up, its gone. If I'm in the desktop, its gone. It only happens while browsing the internet in the metro app. If I'm on the regular desktop browser, the pixel isn't white anymore.

Any idea? I'm gonna post a picture of what I mean in a second.

Pixel

No pixel

I tried to take the pictures at the same distance and place (corners of the tablet on the bottom left of the picture) to show what happens.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
So I have a weird... dead/stuck pixel on mine. I just received it from the Microsoft store on Wednesday so I can return it, but id rather not, because I really think its a software issue rather than a hardware issue.

I have a white pixel showing up on my screen on the bottom left corner, but the weird thing, is that it only shows up in the IE app. Once the keyboard pops up, its gone. If I'm in the desktop, its gone. It only happens while browsing the internet in the metro app. If I'm on the regular desktop browser, the pixel isn't white anymore.

Any idea? I'm gonna post a picture of what I mean in a second.

Pixel

No pixel

I tried to take the pictures at the same distance and place (corners of the tablet on the bottom left of the picture) to show what happens.
i have it too. its an ie thing.

strata8

I love the sideswipe to go back in Metro IE11. So much easier to find a page you had open before.

Does anyone know if the preloading works on the Surface 2? I've tried the swipe forward but it just shows a blank screen with the next page title and only loads once you've finished the gesture.

iirate

Okay, so I want to replace my now ancient desktop, replace my HP touchpad, and have wanted a tablet for drawing for some time. The Pro 2 looks perfect to do all of this in one go. My question is, how important is the 8 gigs of ram for me? Aside from the basics, I want to use art programs and do some gaming(almost entirely Blizzard stuff, so WoW, Hearthstone, Diablo, nothing high end).

NeOak

Okay, so I want to replace my now ancient desktop, replace my HP touchpad, and have wanted a tablet for drawing for some time. The Pro 2 looks perfect to do all of this in one go. My question is, how important is the 8 gigs of ram for me? Aside from the basics, I want to use art programs and do some gaming(almost entirely Blizzard stuff, so WoW, Hearthstone, Diablo, nothing high end).

Only really useful if you use 64 bit versions of Photoshop imo.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I love the sideswipe to go back in Metro IE11. So much easier to find a page you had open before.

Does anyone know if the preloading works on the Surface 2? I've tried the swipe forward but it just shows a blank screen with the next page title and only loads once you've finished the gesture.

Yeah IE11 is insanely good. I used Chrome for the first two weeks but..geezus it's awful.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Yeah IE11 is insanely good. I used Chrome for the first two weeks but..geezus it's awful.

i love IE as a touch browser, but chrome desktop has mobile user agents, extentions, i can pick my search engine, and i can overlay my hangouts chat. i just wish i could mod the UI to be more touch friendly.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
i love IE as a touch browser, but chrome desktop has mobile user agents, extentions, i can pick my search engine, and i can overlay my hangouts chat. i just wish i could mod the UI to be more touch friendly.

Which is why I was using Chrome as well, but I hardly ever browse when using desktop, I pretty much keep work/play separate on this thing or just snap the browser as a reference. But as a quick news/portfolio/gaf checker IE is legit.

asdad123

After a week or of using this, I'm really loving it. I'm consistently getting 9 to 10 hours of web browsing on the Pro 2 at 50% brightness.

It isn't as heavy as I thought it would be. I'm coming from an Asus g46vw so this is actually very light to me. The type cover 2 took some getting used to, but now I'm typing quickly and without many mistakes. I have a nexus 7 and I haven't touched in the week I've had the Pro 2.

Gonna try out some gaming on it later this week. Sorta regretting not getting the 256gb version, but that $300 difference was a little steep. I'll just get a micro sd card and throw all my documents on the card.

Very happy with the purchase!

Izuna

Banned

You can do all of this on IE desktop except maybe overlaying your hangout chats. My search engine is Google (after changing). I actually search on Google on both my phone and surface by just typing what I want into the address bar.

Animator

Just said yolo and went to future shop to get a 256gb surface 2 pro and apparently they only recieved three and sold out the first day. Total blue balls :(

Futureman

Any peeps in here doing semi-serious or even professional illustration with a Surface?

now that I have Creative Cloud I guess it would be an option to have both a Mac and Windows computer and not have to buy two versions of Photoshop.

I'm an expert

You don't know what you're talking about. The iPad sold more tablets to consumers than the SP1 in 1 weekend. It has had its MSRP cut by $200 and it has sold less than the RT model LTD.

This says more to me about the consumers. =/

They never had trouble selling the pros afaik. It is the RT nobody wants.

This statement is full of bullshit. Microsoft has done a piss poor job of marketing the device as JUST a tablet, and getting software developers onboard.

Do we have definitive sales numbers for the RT and the Pro?

maeh2k

You don't know what you're talking about. The iPad sold more tablets to consumers than the SP1 in 1 weekend. It has had its MSRP cut by $200 and it has sold less than the RT model LTD.
This statement is full of bullshit. Microsoft has done a piss poor job of marketing the device as JUST a tablet, and getting software developers onboard.

You guys seem very confident in your statements considering you know neither the sales numbers nor how much Microsoft expected to sell and produced of the Surface Pro.

Comparing the sales of an iPad to the sales of the Surface Pro is just silly. You might as well compare the sales of the iPad to the Macbook Air and call the Macbook a failure.

The Pro isn't JUST a tablet and shouldn't be marketed as such. No consumer is going to see a Surface Pro next to an iPad or Android tablet and decide to go for the one that costs three times as much while also being heavier and getting less battery life.

You guys seem very confident in your statements considering you know neither the sales numbers nor how much Microsoft expected to sell and produced of the Surface Pro.

Comparing the sales of an iPad to the sales of the Surface Pro is just silly. You might as well compare the sales of the iPad to the Macbook Air and call the Macbook a failure.

The Pro isn't JUST a tablet and shouldn't be marketed as such. No consumer is going to see a Surface Pro next to an iPad or Android tablet and decide to go for the one that costs three times as much while also being heavier and getting less battery life.

My disagreement was with the other posters comment that no one wanted the RT platform.

Like I said, Microsoft has done a piss poor job advertising the Surface RT as a viable tablet platform if the device isn't used like a netbook.

The tile/swipe interaction of the operating system, 2gb system memory footprint, IE 11, multitasking, compatibility with existing USB devices.... expandability, hardware build quality all take a back seat to..." oh it comes with Office" or "oh... here's this additional $120 add on that you'll need or the RT isn't worth considering".

Hell... any Pro users NOT using some type of anti virus or malware software on their device?

Do most iPad users need either type of software on their device? But that type of device security is also never brought up when people bitch about RT not running more Win32 code.

Thinking about it just reminds me of how Microsoft just doesn't get it sometimes.

Mairu

What's the best Win8 app for videos(mkvs)? I would just use MPC but fullscreening when the desktop is snapped still makes the videos fullscreen

Lucius86

Banned
It may be a tad late for the bandwagon, but I decided to write up a pretty detailed review on the Surface Pro 2 for my blog. For those still unsure if they ought to get one, I've tried to be pretty honest with my impressions, and decided to look at the device over a slightly longer period of time compared to other reviewers I think.

There's a small amount of gaming footage on there too.

It may be a tad late for the bandwagon, but I decided to write up a pretty detailed review on the Surface Pro 2 for my blog. For those still unsure if they ought to get one, I've tried to be pretty honest with my impressions, and decided to look at the device over a slightly longer period of time compared to other reviewers I think.

There's a small amount of gaming footage on there too.

Great review.

It's hard to explain, but in a way I lean toward the lighter end of the spectrum (when it comes to what I'm expecting from my hybrid device) with my preference for the Surface 2. I'd say I spend 80% of my time consuming media on a tablet, and for that, with IE 11 being so good on the ARM processor, all I need is Microsoft's RT tablet.

First thing my girlfriend noticed was "there is not Pinterest app?" ...then I showed her that I could pin the Pinterest website as a tile to the start page and she's been happy ever since.

Again, as a tablet there is one area where the Surface platform is found wanting, and it's in the games section.

But since I don't tablet game that often Pinball FX2, Halo and Great Big Wargame are all I need for now.

Off topic: Anyone else picking up on the strong anti Microsoft vibe that's taken over the web tech sites? 15 years ago I could understand it. Now it seems misplaced.

Hmm... I like IE but on Venue Pro 8, it seems the touch is very sensitive and often go to enlarge mode when you try to scroll or sometimes even rest your fingers too long on the screen. I don't have Surface so I don't know if this is only on Venue 8. It drives my wife nut and she refuse to use the Venue Pro 8.

Mairu

Hmm... I like IE but on Venue Pro 8, it seems the touch is very sensitive and often go to enlarge mode when you try to scroll or sometimes even rest your fingers too long on the screen. I don't have Surface so I don't know if this is only on Venue 8. It drives my wife nut and she refuse to use the Venue Pro 8.

It's not like that on the Surface Pro. Maybe bad Dell drivers? Wouldn't surprise me considering they've had awful touch pads on laptops for years :x

strata8

I got my Type Cover 2 today, and it's really great, touchpad excepted. A little bit disappointed at the two finger scrolling, and no double tab to click and drag is a pain in the ass.

For some reason I can't use the left/right arrow keys while holding Shift/Alt + the up arrow. Noticed it while playing Hydro Thunder go and had to change boost to Ctrl. Anyone know why?

Lucius86

Banned
Great review.

It's hard to explain, but in a way I lean toward the lighter end of the spectrum (when it comes to what I'm expecting from my hybrid device) with my preference for the Surface 2. I'd say I spend 80% of my time consuming media on a tablet, and for that, with IE 11 being so good on the ARM processor, all I need is Microsoft's RT tablet.

First thing my girlfriend noticed was "there is not Pinterest app?" ...then I showed her that I could pin the Pinterest website as a tile to the start page and she's been happy ever since.

Again, as a tablet there is one area where the Surface platform is found wanting, and it's in the games section.

But since I don't tablet game that often Pinball FX2, Halo and Great Big Wargame are all I need for now.

Off topic: Anyone else picking up on the strong anti Microsoft vibe that's taken over the web tech sites? 15 years ago I could understand it. Now it seems misplaced.

Thanks, I put a lot of effort into it so its nice to get some good feedback.

You are right, pinning web sites onto the Start menu, then using IE11 to view services that iOS/Android/Windows Mobile require an app for is key to getting the most out of the Surface if you are used to other tablets/smart phones. Games is the area of weakness with the Windows Store that really needs sorting out though. I wonder if the Xbox One can help with this?

And yes, the anti-MS vibe is getting silly these days. That's typically why I only ever read Anandtech's reviews - they review the product for what it is, not for who its made by.

Top Bottom