• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

TylerD

For a media consumption device my Surface 2 has been pretty great so far. Just some small website use issues on pages I use a lot like OKCupid are giving me some frustration. There seems to be a specific length of time that you have to tap and hold a button to get some drop down menus to show up.

Still, I am using this thing without a touch/type cover and really enjoying it. Once you get used to Win 8.1 RT it is a pleasure to use.

Watevaman

Can anyone explain why Youtube in Firefox has some hanging problems when going fullscreen or even going to a new video from those thumbnails at the end of another video? I've updated Flash so I doubt it's that. IE doesn't seem to have any problems.

stormer

So after reading about the Surface Pro 2 the last few days.. I bought a 256 model today. I haven't opened it yet.. not sure why I'm still debating it.

Sai

Just ordered the 512GB Surface Pro 2 and Type Cover 2. Should be arriving tomorrow.

Lucius86, your review helped. :p

Also snagged a new power supply for my old desktop... Hope that's the root of it's freezing issues.

NeOak

Just ordered the 512GB Surface Pro 2 and Type Cover 2. Should be arriving tomorrow.

Also snagged a new power supply for my old desktop... Hope that's the root of it's freezing issues.

I felt like a pleb for having the 256GB when I read this.

:lol

Lucius86

Banned

Glad it did! Just don't come angry at me if you regret your purchase demanding money...

I need to edit my review ever so slightly actually - it appears the wear and tear on the Type Keyboard was actually dirt; even though the touchpad looked faded, cleaning it with spectacle lens cleaner worked a charm. It now looks good as new, unlike in my pics. Many thanks to GTI Guy for the tip.

Man I wish Surface Tablets (and WP pro tablets on that matter) where more affordable. My Windows 7 laptop is giving me problems even after a factory reset.

Watevaman

Anybody recommend any sleeves/cases for the SP2? I know it's a pretty durable thing, but I feel like constantly putting this thing in and out of my backpack might mess something up or scratch it.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So I just got a Surface Pro 2 the other day ($999 version). Installed the Wacom drivers and everything on Photoshop is a breeze! :D I do have a couple of questions for anyone using Paint Tool SAI on a Pro 2 if I may.

Paint Tool SAI has the same sensitivity, but I'm having a couple of issues and was wondering if anyone here had any ideas. Most notably that my Griffon Powermate doesn't seem to work no matter what I try. I regularly use it on my desktop (Windows 7) and it has no problem with Paint Tool SAI or Photoshop. On the Surface Pro 2 it works with Photoshop but for some reason not with Paint Tool SAI. Any ideas?

Additionally for whatever reason Photoshop is a LOT better about palm rejection than Paint Tool SAI seems to be. Is there a way to fix this via settings or some such?

Watevaman

Can someone tell me what Intel drivers I need to download to update the drivers for the SP2? I got the ones from Intel's site but it says they're not validated. They're the ones for 8.1 64bit under desktop/notebook 4400. The device manager says the driver is up to date but it's not the latest October one.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Can someone tell me what Intel drivers I need to download to update the drivers for the SP2? I got the ones from Intel's site but it says they're not validated. They're the ones for 8.1 64bit under desktop/notebook 4400. The device manager says the driver is up to date but it's not the latest October one.

There are no valid drivers yet. :\

Dazzla

Just a couple of reasons that I love the Surface 2.

ibk8sB2sQY3jU5.png

irrbjqEVn6nIc.png

Without this type of multi tasking the iPad feels so restrictive.

Not to mention that when I was setting up my mums new Nexus 5 I just connected it via USB and copied over a few Beatles albums. No nonsense, just worked.

Super useful at work as well. Take it with me every day and the battery easily lasts a day. Has instant access to our network and can go down onto the shop floor with access to drawings and documents. Good access from home as well via a robust remote desktop app and VPN. Can never underestimate the power of office. I miss access but I can make do.

Outlook at home and on premises is super valuable. I guess it's a certain use case that isn't for everybody but this should be far more popular than it is.

stormer

Anyone have thoughts on the docking station? In the OP it says its coming early next year.. but I see youtube videos of people already owning it. Is there a newer docking station coming out?

Ganondolf

Anyone have thoughts on the docking station? In the OP it says its coming early next year.. but I see youtube videos of people already owning it. Is there a newer docking station coming out?

same one. Microsoft released it with the surface/pro 2 but only in short supply. full stock will be available early next year.

Quick Question: Are there any downsides to getting a Surface Pro 1 (And perhaps a Type cover 2 once it releases) at this point? I've seen them go for under $600 recently and am tempted to jump in (To upgrade from my Bay Trail tablet that hasn't come in yet)

NeOak

Quick Question: Are there any downsides to getting a Surface Pro 1 (And perhaps a Type cover 2 once it releases) at this point? I've seen them go for under $600 recently and am tempted to jump in (To upgrade from my Bay Trail tablet that hasn't come in yet)

2 to 3 hours less battery life and only one position for the kickstand.

2 to 3 hours less battery life and only one position for the kickstand.

Battery life may impede me a bit, since I'm mobile a lot even inside the house.

I plan on getting a nice case so I wouldn't be able to use the kickstand anyway.

The thing is, I'm not sure if decreased battery life is worth the extra 400+ bones. I just want to make sure the Power Type Cover and Dock coming in 2014 will be compatible.

NeOak

Battery life may impede me a bit, since I'm mobile a lot even inside the house.

I plan on getting a nice case so I wouldn't be able to use the kickstand anyway.

The thing is, I'm not sure if decreased battery life is worth the extra 400+ bones. I just want to make sure the Power Type Cover and Dock coming in 2014 will be compatible.
they are

TylerD

I am having issues with loading Youtube on my Surface 2 32gb using metro IE. Most of the time when I try to load the main page from a pin or am scrolling through my subcription videos list some of the thumbnails will fail to load and that tab becomes completely unresponsive. I can try to tap on links, pinch to zoom, etc and then everything will just instantly catch up after 2-3 minutes.

Anyone else experienced this?

Lucius86

Banned
I am having issues with loading Youtube on my Surface 2 32gb using metro IE. Most of the time when I try to load the main page from a pin or am scrolling through my subcription videos list some of the thumbnails will fail to load and that tab becomes completely unresponsive. I can try to tap on links, pinch to zoom, etc and then everything will just instantly catch up after 2-3 minutes.

Not the same, but YouTube performance in IE and Firefox is poor at 1080P. Funnily enough, Chrome renders fine...

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

Yes. On SP1.

Watevaman

If it only happens in Firefox, its Firefox.

I get 7 to 8 on my SP2. Used to get 4 on my SP1.

What do you recommend doing to try and fix it? I'm running the same version of FF on 2 other computers and this is the only one fucking up.

edit: actually, IE seems to be doing it too

strata8

I have to say, I'm finding the Surface to be almost perfect for movies. The combination of the kickstand, the stereo speakers on each side of the screen (w/ virtual surround), and the 16:9 screen means it works really nicely lying down on the lounge or bed, resting on my legs.

dLMN8R

Yeah, it's always frustrating when reviews constantly complain about how "awkward" the portrait orientation ignoring how perfect it is for 16:9 movies. Which do you honestly think people will do more frequently with a tablet? I'd prefer full-screen movies + slightly awkward orientation over less-awkward and black bars all over movies.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Oh god.. even the thought of using surface in portrait..gah..

Sai

Oh god.. even the thought of using surface in portrait..gah..
Is it really that tough, guys? I've been using it that way whenever I need to use the stylus. And my previous tablet experience has been with the Asus Transformer Prime.

It's a fair bit more hefty, but not impossibly so. I suppose I can see how awkward it could get if you're holding it for extended periods of time.

I'm an expert

Use dat pen.

I use it every single day. Not even sure what that means. Maybe because I always have something else snapped on the side the idea of going portrait never crossed my mind. Portrait is shit for anything but my phone.

You haven't used proper Tablet PCs before, have you?

Again, what does this mean lol. We've had Lenovos and ThinkPads everywhere at work for years. My main was an Asus Transformer for a bit. I wouldn't even use an iPad in portrait..just such a dumb use of the real estate.

it's great. especially for gaf, im using it right now.

I just tried and gagged at how narrow it was. As to the poster above you, it's not above the size, it's about the dimensions of the Surface. I'll take back my above comment about the iPad because we all know that it is actually viable in portrait. I just personally don't like it. But still not sure why you guys think pen = portrait. Just would not work for my work needs.

Sai

Don't know if I should call this a complaint or not, but I do really miss my Android's ezPDF Reader. Haven't been able to find an appropriate(free/cheap) substitute for this thing, and BlueStacks ain't playing nice with me right now(nothing happens after syncing with my google account).

Something that supports the pressure sensitive stylus for annotations would be an added bonus. :D

sikma42

Banned
What are everyone's thoughts on the Surface RT for 200 bucks? I already have an ipad but I've always been looking at the Surface. 200 bucks sounds like a great price. Anything that I should be worried about?

Watevaman

Anyone else have scuffs on the back of their Surface? In barely any use of my SP2 I've already got a bunch of white/gray scuff marks on the back and I don't even know where they came from. I don't toss the thing around and am pretty damn gentle. Makes me sad.

Top Bottom