• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

BlindRage

So the surface 64gig is on sale from ms store for like $300? Is it worth it?

Just wanna play some windows games for achievements and prolly take it to school for notes and stuff

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I don't know why people go crazy about 64 or 128 gigs. It's a hybrid not a vita memory card. I barely have anything on my 64 Pro as it is. It's all cloud/share drives/externals. I will probably never use more than 5 gigs on the thing, and I'm someone who back 5 years ago had multiple 1tb externals filled with shit. Shit being the keyword. Unless you plan to have every single rip of your precious movie or music library on this thing, why waste the money on something like hard drive space? Ram I can understand, space no. The one exception I guess would be if you're using the thing for modeling, though I don't know how big those kinds of files get.

I don't know why people go crazy about 64 or 128 gigs. It's a hybrid not a vita memory card. I barely have anything on my 64 Pro as it is. It's all cloud/share drives/externals. I will probably never use more than 5 gigs on the thing, and I'm someone who back 5 years ago had multiple 1tb externals filled with shit. Shit being the keyword. Unless you plan to have every single rip of your precious movie or music library on this thing, why waste the money on something like hard drive space? Ram I can understand, space no. The one exception I guess would be if you're using the thing for modeling, though I don't know how big those kinds of files get.

I got 128GB because I wanted to install some games on it. Things like KOTOR are surprisingly large, given their age.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I got 128GB because I wanted to install some games on it. Things like KOTOR are surprisingly large, given their age.

Yeah but who leaves games installed anymore that aren't mmos or competitive multi? Install, play, uninstall. You can get it again from whatever digital store you bought it from whenever.

Apath

Will I be losing much switching from an iPad mini (gen 1) + 2012 Macbook Pro to a Surface Pro 2? I've been looking to consolidate my electronics.

I also kind of want LTE, so I may just hold out for the 3 and hope it's an option.

I absolutely love my Surface 2. After I my initial pre-judgement of "Well this seems idiotic if you can't use x86 apps", I found that after actually owning one for a bit, I rarely ever need to use the desktop mode since the available apps are pretty great and do everything I want. Plus this now lets me easily waste time on Saltybet from the comfort of my bed. Since my laptop died recently, this makes me extremely happy.

But yeah, I actually somehow managed to win mine and a remix kit from a competition they did on twitter in November, so that made for a pretty epic Christmas. XD

Alx

After having spent a lot of time with the Surface Pro, I'm starting to miss the stylus when I go back to an RT model. I really love the precision and familiar feeling of using a pen, I even use handwriting recognition as much as I can, even if it isn't always perfect and may be slower than using a keyboard.

zou

What else would it be? ...What else can it be?

lenovo mini dock:
mADkjX5.jpg

proper desktop replacement. think only dell and one other company (panasonic?) offer them though.

Schlep

I work from home and the dock is everything I need. Got a 21" monitor hooked in through mini displayport, speakers, Plantronics Savi 730, and Windows phone. Even if I caved and updated to a touchscreen monitor, still no need for a hub.

Networking is wireless (although I guess I could plug it up), mouse/kb are on my other comp shared through Synergy, and printer is wireless. The Thinkpad dock above is interesting, but seems like overkill for most people, especially those using a tablet for their main PC.

zou

I work from home and the dock is everything I need. Got a 21" monitor hooked in through mini displayport, speakers, Plantronics Savi 730, and Windows phone. Even if I caved and updated to a touchscreen monitor, still no need for a hub.

Networking is wireless (although I guess I could plug it up), mouse/kb are on my other comp shared through Synergy, and printer is wireless. The Thinkpad dock above is interesting, but seems like overkill for most people, especially those using a tablet for their main PC.

I would argue it makes sense especially for those that use it as their main computer.

It's what's allowed me to ditch my desktop a few years back and go with an ultraportable laptop. Dual screen support (DVI or Displayport up to 1600x1200), no cables to connect and 6 extra USB ports + esata when plugged in. All in a laptop that's about the same weight as the old(er) Macbook Air, with a fullsized keyboard, 6+ hours battery life, 16 gigs of ram and a CPU that beats any Haswell CPU available at 12". So that's the reason I asked about the docking station support, but looks like it's not happening yet.

Edit: It's obviously a step in the right direction and I'm happy someone out there is trying to make tablets about more than simple consumption devices. Been pretty depressing otherwise, as someone that actually uses portables for work...

Ganondolf

been looking at which Bluetooth mouse to get for my pro2 (for when its in the docking station and to replace the wedge mouse surface edition).

I think the best option I can find for comfort and regular use (I do not play games of pc) is the Microsoft Sculpt comfort mouse. has anyone tried it?

I was going to pick up the arc mouse (surface edition) but as It wont be used for traveling I don't think its the best option.

if anyone has any other suggestions it would be most appreciated.

maeh2k

been looking at which Bluetooth mouse to get for my pro2 (for when its in the docking station and to replace the wedge mouse surface edition).

I think the best option I can find for comfort and regular use (I do not play games of pc) is the Microsoft Sculpt comfort mouse. has anyone tried it?

I was going to pick up the arc mouse (surface edition) but as It wont be used for traveling I don't think its the best option.

if anyone has any other suggestions it would be most appreciated.

I'd probably go with that one, too. Actually, I've considered maybe getting the whole Sculpt Comfort Desktop even though I don't actually need another keyboard (writing this on my expensive mechanical keyboard).
Two reviews noted that the reviewers repeatedly accidentally pushed it off their desks (because it's relatively high).

Of coure, Logitech has lots of great mice, too.

hadareud

The Translator
The surface 64GB is £269 on UK MS store.
Any reason why I would not pick this up over an ipad air?
I don't know why but something is making me want to jump over to the surface from my apple products.
This guys videos have me really excited: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zny7iu_hDXU
Thanks.

If you can't live without all the iOS apps, you shouldn't make the jump - other than that there really isn't a reason not to.

My Surface 2 (RT) has not only replaced my laptop, it also has replaced my PC for 90% of all my uses.

trinest

was that the sculpt comfort mouse of the larger sculpt ergonomic mouse?

The Ergonomic one is just bullshit, plus its not Bluetooth. Only the Sculpt Comfort is Bluetooth in the Sculpt range.

I love the comfort one though, a much better mouse (have both);.

Tablo

Tegra 3 is a POS, kickstand is really annoying now (I have a 1st gen pro) knowing it can only do that one narrow angle, screen isn't full HD ( still looks nice though).
Though for me it comes down to Tegra 3 being a really shitty SOC, it took too long to get to market, and so it's ancient compared to the competition.
No USB 3.0, and performance will not hold up over time IMO, it's already borderline slow for the current software it's on right now...And that's after a lot of optimizations they've made since launch.

asdad123

I feel that there may be a design flaw for the Surface Pro...

I bought my surface pro 2 in late November and Ive loved it ever since and it was perfect, until about a month later.

On December 17th, I noticed that my surface made a loud creak/crack noise whenever touched near the webcam, and I could even feel the screen moving up and down with pressure. No big deal, I know things happen in production, so I opened up an Advanced RMA and have a new surface two days later. Opened up the replacement box, everything was perfect. No creak, screen was solid and not moving. Perfect! I transferred over my info and sent back the creaking surface.

Now on January 12th, less than one month of ownership (I received the replacement on December 24th), the new one is beginning to make the same noise! Its not as loud as it was on the old one, but I feel as its just beginning and it will become as loud as the original one. This is unacceptable in a machine that costs over $1000.

I feel that there is a serious design flaw with the adhesive used on the screen, especially since I have had two that began creaking in less than a month.

If this has happened to you, please answer this with how old your surface is and when the issue started. If this gets any worse on the new surface I have, I will be asking MS for a refund as it is ridiculous a machine costing so much has a flaw like this.

Tablo

That's weird, were you touching it with force? Or tapping?
Haven't really heard of that problem, and I feel if it was an issue it would be more widespread.

asdad123

That's weird, were you touching it with force? Or tapping?
Haven't really heard of that problem, and I feel if it was an issue it would be more widespread.

Not pressing it with force. I first noticed it when putting my surface down by holding it on the edge. It wasn't bad t first, but after another week, it was heard by just regular tapping on it.

Paganmoon

Got a surface 2 recently, and really loving it. Much nicer to hold, and more responsive than my iPad 2. Also love the use of the sides, beyond the screen, for swipe gestures.
But boy am I kicking myself for not getting a pro, to think every time I lack an app, or get to a webpage that requires a special plugin, I could've just switched to desktop mode and problem solved...

Might get one still, what's the verdict here? Anyone completely satisfied with surface 2 only? And is the weight increase of the pro manageable?

I'm an expert

Got a surface 2 recently, and really loving it. Much nicer to hold, and more responsive than my iPad 2. Also love the use of the sides, beyond the screen, for swipe gestures.
But boy am I kicking myself for not getting a pro, to think every time I lack an app, or get to a webpage that requires a special plugin, I could've just switched to desktop mode and problem solved...

Might get one still, what's the verdict here? Anyone completely satisfied with surface 2 only? And is the weight increase of the pro manageable?

The weight "issue" is such a dumb thing lol. Maybe because I've been a lifter I don't notice these things, but how something that weighs less than a bottle of juice can be heavy.. I don't fackin know.

The Pro is definitely the smart choice, but what plugins do you have that metro IE can't handle? The only thing that sucks about metro IE is no addons.

Paganmoon

The weight "issue" is such a dumb thing lol. Maybe because I've been a lifter I don't notice these things, but how something that weighs less than a bottle of juice can be heavy.. I don't fackin know.

The Pro is definitely the smart choice, but what plugins do you have that metro IE can't handle? The only thing that sucks about metro IE is no addons.

HBONordic requires widevine plugin to work in a browser (widevine is owned by Google), viaplay requires Silverlight (and I don't get why Microsoft doesn't support their own products.)

So my problem isn't with the metro browser, more that I can't install executables on surface 2 RT.

I'm an expert

You know, I had a feeling you'd say silverlight but I didn't know if all you needed it for was netflix (which you can just use the app for). Then yes, you're fucked on a Surface.

Paganmoon

HBOnordic and viaplay aren't Netflix though:) HBOnordic has no app and viaplays app stopped working recently. Which is the reason I'm kicking myself for not getting the pro, other that, a great tablet.

At least NHL gamecenter live works without a problem, right in metro IE.

I'm an expert

That's what I'm saying. You're at the mercy of the available apps.

I'm an expert

Unlike the Pros, the RT1->2 upgrade was pretty substantial in my opinion. The touch/type thing is purely preference depending on your workload. Head to any store and you can try both out.

rrs

The only drawback of the Pro is the battery life isn't going to be as awesome as their ARM or Atom cousins.

trm1138

Neo Member
So has anyone had issues with Chrome in Win8 mode since updating to Chrome 32? The window seems to be stuck in the upper left portion of the screen and I don't know how to maximize it. Had a similar issue with Chrome before this, but you could drag the screen in order to maximize it. Doesn't seem to work anymore.

Top Bottom