• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

You know, I had a feeling you'd say silverlight but I didn't know if all you needed it for was netflix (which you can just use the app for). Then yes, you're fucked on a Surface.
Obviously you can (and probably should) use the native app, but it's worth noting that Netflix is HTML5 in IE 11.

Bought a Surface Pro 2 for work and set it up. RDP worked fine for a while and then nothing. Some weird waking from sleep issue. Is this something that can be fixed via a software update or should we try to get the unit replaced?

Well it's past January 14th, my Pro 2 is up to date and the battery indicator is still buggered. I contacted MS again, they said only the Pro 1 got the update, the Pro 2 should get it 'by the end of January'. :(

Bought a Surface Pro 2 for work and set it up. RDP worked fine for a while and then nothing. Some weird waking from sleep issue. Is this something that can be fixed via a software update or should we try to get the unit replaced?
It might be related to the firmware problem (mine also has a weird waking from sleep issue), although if you only just bought it you will have avoided this update so it might be something else.

FrsDvl

So I'm thinking of getting a Surface RT as my first tablet. I have never used the OS before, and have always been close to Android for many years. For myself I would mainly use it for browsing the Internet, Facebook and YouTube. But since my daughter would probably want to use it too, I was kinda wondering how the store is, when it comes to games for toddlers. Would it be a good decision to go with a Surface, or if I would be better off with an Android tablet. The attached keyboard is a big deal for me, plus the fact that it has a stand is very convenient. I was going to buy one tomorrow, but I'm still on the fence. Would it be a family friendly tablet?

So I'm thinking of getting a Surface RT as my first tablet. I have never used the OS before, and have always been close to Android for many years. For myself I would mainly use it for browsing the Internet, Facebook and YouTube. But since my daughter would probably want to use it too, I was kinda wondering how the store is, when it comes to games for toddlers. Would it be a good decision to go with a Surface, or if I would be better off with an Android tablet. The attached keyboard is a big deal for me, plus the fact that it has a stand is very convenient. I was going to buy one tomorrow, but I'm still on the fence. Would it be a family friendly tablet?

Get an iPad. Seriously, I love my Windows 8 machines but you will be better off with iPad especially if you wants a lot of games for kids. You can get all kind of accessories for iPad including stand and keyboard.

About to buy one today. I was kind of considering getting the 256 GB version just for the 4 GB extra of RAM until I saw that it's $400 more just for that upgrade. I think 4 GB should suit me just fine honestly. I upgraded the RAM of my PC from 4 GB to 8 GB last year and honestly I haven't seen a lick of difference.

Razdek

Banned

Do not get a Surface RT. Performance is still not good even with all the updates and it gets frustrating waiting for apps to load. Store is pretty crappy still.

NeOak

The Tegra 3 has a problem with the MMC controller where it degrades over time, etc. You can see it in the Nexus 7.

And its dog slow. See if you can get the original Surface Pro or at least the Surface 2.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

There are actually a ton of games for toddlers. I was pleasantly surprised. My boy can use the OS completely by himself, even unlock the pin number lol. It's basically a big smart phone so if your's was an expert at that like mine was, it's second nature.

Mairu

I hope I see the January Surface Pro 2 update soon. I'm really tired of the device's sleep/battery issues and I'm hoping this update fixes it.

FrsDvl

Thanks for the comments!

Decided to get an ipad air instead. Not a fan of Apple stuff, but I think it would be the better choice, since I didn't want to spend 1000$ on a surface pro, and since my daughter would use it a lot.

If it were just about the things YOU need, i'd say dive into the Surface RT2 because it does the internet, facebook and youtube as good as or even better than an ipad. But if your daughter is using the device an ipad is the best solution. Any game she may want will definitely be found.

So I did more research, made my decision and jumped on a 128GB SP2. I'm loving everything so far. It beats my old gigantic Toshiba laptop's ass so hard it's not even funny. Its hard drive was floundering. Surprising it held itself together after 6.5 years but it was just past its prime sadly.

Sorry for the bump but I just realized the pen's pressure sensitivity doesn't work at all on GIMP. The hell? I thought GIMP was open-sourced? I would've thought at least one person bothered to write support for the pen by now...

Anyway, I'm really itching to try some drawing on the surface but I really, really need pressure sensitivity to work. What are some free or really cheap programs I can use for this? I'm looking at ArtRage but 1) I know nothing about it so I'm ignorant of its quality, especially on Surface Pros and 2) I'm looking to see if there's something comparable or better for less than the $50 they're asking for.

NeOak

Sorry for the bump but I just realized the pen's pressure sensitivity doesn't work at all on GIMP. The hell? I thought GIMP was open-sourced? I would've thought at least one person bothered to write support for the pen by now...

Anyway, I'm really itching to try some drawing on the surface but I really, really need pressure sensitivity to work. What are some free or really cheap programs I can use for this? I'm looking at ArtRage but 1) I know nothing about it so I'm ignorant of its quality, especially on Surface Pros and 2) I'm looking to see if there's something comparable or better for less than the $50 they're asking for.

http://us.wacom.com/en/feeldriver

Schlep

So I did more research, made my decision and jumped on a 128GB SP2. I'm loving everything so far. It beats my old gigantic Toshiba laptop's ass so hard it's not even funny. Its hard drive was floundering. Surprising it held itself together after 6.5 years but it was just past its prime sadly.

Congrats! I use mine for both work and personal. Nothing like sitting on the couch with Tweetro+ snapped and browsing GAF. Somehow makes me feel productive while watching sports.

I installed that driver hoping it changed anything on GIMP but sadly that doesn't seem to be the case. I know it does enable pressure sensitivity on other programs like photoshop, though. Are there any other alternatives besides ArtRage (and how is ArtRage even? Something I should consider?)

Congrats! I use mine for both work and personal. Nothing like sitting on the couch with Tweetro+ snapped and browsing GAF. Somehow makes me feel productive while watching sports.

Thanks! Sprung for the keyboard cover (the good one) and I'm typing on it right now. Really freaking nice.

sca2511

Chrome on my Surface Pro 2 has been acting weird. When using my Type Cover 2 and trying to use two finger scroll, rather than scroll the window like usual, the Chrome window moves around. Since I can't scroll, I went back to using IE.

I dislike the fact that I can't drag items using double tap then drag. It's a little awkward trying to use the left click on the touchpad, especially when trying to play Papers, Please. I hear it might be fixed in the future, since the Type Cover 1 doesn't have the issue, I'm hoping so. Also that the pen input is a little inaccurate when at the corners, but that seems to be a normal thing.

I sorta want that Remix Touch Cover.

Paganmoon

So I recently tested out Splashtop to remote from my RT2 to my Win8 PC, and it worked great to an extent, got my desktop and could work with it without a problem. Though I can't seem to use gestures, and the screen is really blurry (even though running native 1080p).

Are there any alternatives to Splashtop, for remoting in to your PC and have access to touch gestures, non blurry screen and streaming capabilities (Streaming works fine with Splashtop, haven't had great experience with streaming through RDP for instance).

Ganondolf

I dislike the fact that I can't drag items using double tap then drag. It's a little awkward trying to use the left click on the touchpad, especially when trying to play Papers, .

I use hold and lock (you can set the mouse/touchpad button to lock if you hold it down for a set amount of seconds). mine is set at 2 seconds.

think its in the mouse settings.

Lucius86

Banned
Hmm, I'm starting to get the occasional sticky letter. Naturally I would assume it's the Type Cover 2 acting up, but it locked up on me with the OSK a couple of times too, typically when pressing the "o" letter for some strange reason.

Asked for a replacement Type Cover under the warranty, let's see if that helps.

sca2511

I use hold and lock (you can set the mouse/touchpad button to lock if you hold it down for a set amount of seconds). mine is set at 2 seconds.

think its in the mouse settings.

You've changed my world. Thanks for this. This will do until, hopefully, the double tap and drag comes back.

f@luS

More than a member.
does anybody use the arc touch surface with a surface pro?
i have issues with the "previous/next page" has said in the mouse setup...doesnt work. It just scroll down/up

NeOak

does anybody use the arc touch surface with a surface pro?
i have issues with the "previous/next page" has said in the mouse setup...doesnt work. It just scroll down/up

The Bluetooth version? Did you download the software from the Windows Store?

Sai

How many extra hours was the Power Cover supposed to provide again? Fortunately, I haven't found myself running too low when taking my Pro 2 out, but I could definitely see the need if I were to go on an especially long trip or something.

Lucius86

Banned
How many extra hours was the Power Cover supposed to provide again? Fortunately, I haven't found myself running too low when taking my Pro 2 out, but I could definitely see the need if I were to go on an especially long trip or something.

Isn't it meant to be another 50% of life, so around 3-4 hours on top. Or that's what I thought anyway.

Do not get a Surface RT. Performance is still not good even with all the updates and it gets frustrating waiting for apps to load. Store is pretty crappy still.

Software optimization is very good. Short load times and workloads are light. New Intel and ARM chips won't have much to do unless metro 2.0 is dramatically heavier/more advanced. Or in case of Intel more RAM + a GPU that can run intensive PC games well. Not very interesting otherwise.

JMZJJOD.png

NeOak

Software optimization is very good. Short load times and workloads are light. New Intel and ARM chips won't have much to do unless metro 2.0 is dramatically heavier/more advanced. Or in case of Intel more RAM + a GPU that can run intensive PC games well. Not very interesting otherwise.

The Tegra 3 is awful.

Special C

The SKydrive app is terrible. Maybe I just don't know how to use it right, but I end up having to use the website (not a big deal).

Special C

Sharing files to public doesn't work intuitively, but maybe I'm trying to use SkyDrive for something that it isn't really meant to be used for.

sun-drop

how is this as a tablet guys?

i'm thinking of a SP2 to replace my core2 duo desktop ... so thinking along the lines of a desktop replacement, that i can carry off if need be. which works for me.

but to buy it i may have to sell my xperia tablet z .... which really doens't do a lot more than what my galaxy s4 can..... other than provide that light wieght tablet formfactor ..

for stuff like chrome broswer .... does the surface pro 2 have pinch zoom support?

trying to think of tablety stuff i've taken for granted that i might miss moving to windows ...

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
how is this as a tablet guys?

i'm thinking of a SP2 to replace my core2 duo desktop ... so thinking along the lines of a desktop replacement, that i can carry off if need be. which works for me.

but to buy it i may have to sell my xperia tablet z .... which really doens't do a lot more than what my galaxy s4 can..... other than provide that light wieght tablet formfactor ..

for stuff like chrome broswer .... does the surface pro 2 have pinch zoom support?

trying to think of tablety stuff i've taken for granted that i might miss moving to windows ...

If it wasn't for the software suites I use (and pen support), I wouldn't even realize I'm not using a complete tablet. I treat it essentially as such, though it is somewhat of a waste if you're getting it for that style of usage. It needs a good couple of accessories to become a desktop replacement, but it certainly can be. Chrome, in my opinion, isn't that good on the Metro side. IE, though, is spectacular.

If it wasn't for the software suites I use (and pen support), I wouldn't even realize I'm not using a complete tablet. I treat it essentially as such, though it is somewhat of a waste if you're getting it for that style of usage. It needs a good couple of accessories to become a desktop replacement, but it certainly can be. Chrome, in my opinion, isn't that good on the Metro side. IE, though, is spectacular.

The question of internet browsers is kind of tricky for me on the SP2 so far. Google Chrome desktop is pretty awful on SP2. It's just a poor implementation, and one that Google is obviously capable at improving but simply aren't for some reason (I'm not surprised at their lack of enthusiasm, since the only people truly interested in a touch interface for the Windows desktop version of Chrome would be SP2 users). I've tried setting the hidden touch-related flags but the browser literally crashes every 10 seconds with them on. They're simply unusable at the moment (understandable, as they're clearly experimental).

I know IE is far better, but all my settings and plugins are synced with Chrome. I'd only use IE on my Surface, and I jump back and forth a ton between it and my desktop, so I really need a unified experience. I'm stuck with begrudgingly using the desktop Chrome on this.

I'm an expert

IE's functionality is worth it to me over bookmarks or plugins or whatever. I have to use desktop if I do serious stuff, but for normal surfing Metro is just too quick to abandon. Chrome lately is kind of weird though..

Top Bottom