• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

NeOak

It's not different bins because the new chip includes new a feature called "Intel’s Trusted Execution Technology."

Intel are douches that turn off stuff by laser cutting switches. Its the same die with one less laser cut.

All quad cores are the same die. All. Same with dual cores. Same die, different switches cut off.

Autism always overrules common sense so don't try man.

I think he was being sarcastic. But if he wasn't, then he can give me a SP2 with the 4300U and keep the one with the 4200U.

SPro owner here and I'm close to being fed up with it. Does anyone know of any cases, stands, or mods with hinges that would give the Pro an adjustable viewing angle (Not at fixed degree angles)? Preferably one with a keyboard like traditional laptops/2-in-1s?

I was holding out for the Power Keyboard but upon further inspection it doesn't look like it's adjustable at all.

Nope. There is a case that does that by having a big ass support hinge that like, doubles the space you need for the surface on a desk.

i5 4300

*shakes fist*

We early supporters got Scroogled.

tenchir

Intel are douches that turn off stuff by laser cutting switches. Its the same die with one less laser cut.

All quad cores are the same die. All. Same with dual cores. Same die, different switches cut off.

I don't know, there are quite a few features disabled in the 4200U that is in the 4300U if that is true.

From Techreport:
"The replacement chip has a bunch of extra features attached, including support for TSX-NI instructions meant to improve multithreaded performance. A switch has been flipped to enable VT-d Directed I/O for virtualization. Trusted Execution security tech is on the menu, too, though it's hard to imagine the NSA can't get around it.?"

NeOak

Out of *curiosity* would you happen to know the name of the case or the manufacturer?

I don't remember. I found it searching for a case in Amazon.

I don't know, there are quite a few features disabled in the 4200U that is in the 4300U if that is true.

From Techreport:
"The replacement chip has a bunch of extra features attached, including support for TSX-NI instructions meant to improve multithreaded performance. A switch has been flipped to enable VT-d Directed I/O for virtualization. Trusted Execution security tech is on the menu, too, though it's hard to imagine the NSA can't get around it.?"

Its the same die. I'm not kidding. Binning is not only about speed, its also about artificially limiting features.

For example, All the old Atoms had x86-64 capabilities in the die. Outside of rare engineering samples, it never was enabled. Same as the old Pentium 4 3.06Ghz that had Hyperthreading enabled by a BIOS quirk which was disabled as soon llas you rebooted.

Same die. GPUs too. GTX 780 and 780Ti have the 64 bit units disabled, yet are the same die as the GTX Titan and Teslas K20.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Surface Pro 2s are back in stock at the MS online store. Just put in my order for my Dad's 256 GB. I have to say though (and I say this as someone who is not an MS hater (I own stock and I really do want them to succeed)), that was one of the most annoying online purchasing experiences I've had in a very long time (and I've been buying things online since '97).

No way to send anything as a gift (i.e., without listing the prices on the invoice); no real time confirmation that the order has gone through (I'm pretty sure I will need to cancel an extra order, since my AMEX card was blocked for security reasons the first time I placed the order - I've just checked my pending changes and there are two orders in the 1500 range. Of course I can't cancel anything yet, since no orders are showing up in my online order history.). Online customer service chat couldn't help me at all. Microsoft -really- needs to step up their game if they want to compete with Amazon and Apple.

aaaaa0

Surface Pro 2s are back in stock at the MS online store. Just put in my order for my Dad's 256 GB. I have to say though (and I say this as someone who is not an MS hater (I own stock and I really do want them to succeed)), that was one of the most annoying online purchasing experiences I've had in a very long time (and I've been buying things online since '97).

No way to send anything as a gift (i.e., without listing the prices on the invoice); no real time confirmation that the order has gone through (I'm pretty sure I will need to cancel an extra order, since my AMEX card was blocked for security reasons the first time I placed the order - I've just checked my pending changes and there are two orders in the 1500 range. Of course I can't cancel anything yet, since no orders are showing up in my online order history.). Online customer service chat couldn't help me at all. Microsoft -really- needs to step up their game if they want to compete with Amazon and Apple.

The online Microsoft store is actually run by a third party named Digital River.

I always thought it insane that the Microsoft online store and the retail physical stores are run by two different sets of people that do not talk to each other.

Other than gross incompetence, I assume there's some sort of contractual thing forcing this, and I hope that gets straightened out sooner or later.

NeOak

The online Microsoft store is actually run by a third party named Digital River.

I always thought it insane that the Microsoft online store and the retail physical stores are run by two different sets of people that do not talk to each other.

Other than gross incompetence, I assume there's some sort of contractual thing forcing this, and I hope that gets straightened out sooner or later.

Digital River runs the backend and has for a looong time.

But yes, i was annoyed when i went to the MS Store and I was told the website was separate. Like, really?

maeh2k

My Surface 2 may legitimately be the fastest PC I own. I have had this 1080p .mkv for a couple of years and neither my Core 2 Duo Macbook nor my slightly older Athlon 64 3000+/GeForce 8600 GT desktop can fluidly play the video. Turns out the Surface can.

Any recommendations for apps that play .mkv files? I've just tried the Mobile.HD player trial version and it seems nice.

Martian

I never knew the Surface Pro 2 was so powerful. I just read that someone is playing full steam games on it. Skyrim on medium is no problem
Crazy how that thing is as powerful as my laptop

maeh2k

I never knew the Surface Pro 2 was so powerful. I just read that someone is playing full steam games on it. Skyrim on medium is no problem
Crazy how that thing is as powerful as my laptop

Seeing how it's basically a laptop without a keyboard, it's not that surprising.

maeh2k

My Surface 2 may legitimately be the fastest PC I own. I have had this 1080p .mkv for a couple of years and neither my Core 2 Duo Macbook nor my slightly older Athlon 64 3000+/GeForce 8600 GT desktop can fluidly play the video. Turns out the Surface can.

Any recommendations for apps that play .mkv files? I've just tried the Mobile.HD player trial version and it seems nice.

Now I wanted to watch that video via the Surface. I set everything up nicely: the file is on the desktop and is accessible to the Surface via the Homegroup and the Surface was connected to my TV via HDMI... And then that stupid Mobile.HD player wouldn't run because the resolution was too low. My TV is HD-ready and via HDMI the resolution is set to 720p. And apparently that is too low to start the player.
Maybe it'll work once VLC arrives :)
Or I'll have to watch it on the 10.6" display.

NeOak

can I install Windows 7 on a tablet?
serious question. I have a Sony tablet and I really hate Windows 8.

Windows 7 without a pen is a nightmare.

Give it a try. Then you will appreciate Windows 8 and see why Microsoft did what it did (for tablet PCs at least)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Microsoft should just rebrand whatever 8.2 is going to be and make it Windows 9. Basically the only change will be optional start screen and a replacement of Vista desktop UI with modern and people will wow over it as if it's new.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
My phone has a desktop?

You would think most gaf users are savvy enough for Win 8, but I'm utterly shocked how many people have trouble with it here.

Microsoft should just rebrand whatever 8.2 is going to be and make it Windows 9. Basically the only change will be optional start screen and a replacement of Vista desktop UI with modern and people will wow over it as if it's new.

The start screen is the greatest revolution in the os scene since.. windows. Why would they make it optional?

zou

Anyone else having issues playing flash content? Used to be fine even back with the Surface 1, but since a couple of weeks streaming videos on Amazon has been a mess.

Sound stutters or is out of sync and the video lags behind, basically unwatchable.

NeOak

but win8 is so confusing. it feels like I'm operating a phone and not a pc....

Buddy, be thankful you didn't use Windows XP Tablet PC edition. My Dell Latitude XT came with it and the first thing I did after trying it out was installing the Vista Consumer preview, and that was an improvement.

And no, you are using a desktop. Drop the preconceptions of what a desktop must be and you'll enjoy it more.

luxarific

Nork unification denier

Shite, Digital River, I should have known. MS is insane for contracting out their digital webstore to those idiots. In any case, I somehow got billed twice. The first (and incorrect) charge was never accompanied by an order number so there's no way for me to cancel it (it's just a random 1700+ charge on my AMEX). So I guess I will wait until my Dad's Surface ships (this is the valid charge) and then I will contest the extra charge. I'm worried that if I try doing it now, they will just cancel the valid order.

Schlep

Went to Best Buy today because the website had the docking station listed as "Ship to Store - Pick up in 3 to 5 days" when clicking check stores, but the actual product page said pick up today. Something weird with their inventory system if you're waiting on it.

Definitely extravagant, but so choice.

When might the Surface Pro 2s be back in stock on Microsoft's online store? Just remembered I get a 10% student discount which is a good $100 or more depending on whether I get the 4 or 8 GB model so I'd like to order from Microsoft's shop is possible. Unless that offer is redeemable at one of their stores.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Well I never saw it advertised that way, so it came as a bit of a shock to me. Pretty neat. If I had the money I would pick one up

get a 360 controller receiver and it becomes the most portable games console ever! bring it to your friends house and hook it up to their tv!

When might the Surface Pro 2s be back in stock on Microsoft's online store? Just remembered I get a 10% student discount which is a good $100 or more depending on whether I get the 4 or 8 GB model so I'd like to order from Microsoft's shop is possible. Unless that offer is redeemable at one of their stores.

make sure to get the revised model with the i5-4300!

kharma45

Useful deal on the old Surface Pro if you have a .ac.uk email address.

New price reduction on Surface Pro at Microsoft Store.

Student Price - 64GB for £359.99 & 128GB for £404.99

Regular Price - 64GB for £479 & 128GB for £539

Also possible £50 Quidco/TopCashBack on all Surface sales. So possibly a Surface Pro 64GB for £310. Can't lie, I'm tempted.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
My type cover 2 stopped working on my Pro 2 out of nowhere today. This happened once in the past, and I recall being able to fix it with a long power down. No dice this time. If I try the thing where you hold the power button and volume up for 15 seconds, the "2BR," the keyboard lights up for an instant when I plug it in, then the backlight immediately cuts, as if power has been revoked from it. No key response during any part of that. I tried system restores, battled through a variety of blue screens that I somehow caused in the process, and nothing. Everything short of a full system refresh.

At this point I'm just going to have to attach a USB keyboard, but I don't have a USB splitter, so I'll be losing my mouse, and have to resort to the touch screen. I don't have time to take this shit back to Microsoft or whatever, this is my work machine, I need it for work, I'm supposed to be working on it RIGHT NOW. At least has an on-screen keyboard so I can type SOMETHING.

Anyone got any brilliant ideas to fix my fucked keyboard? It lighting up for an instant if connected after the 2BR makes me think its salvageable somehow, maybe. Hopefully.

luxarific

Nork unification denier

My advice is to check the website this coming Friday evening and Saturday morning - both the 128 and 256 were in stock when I checked this past Friday evening and Saturday morning.

Tablo

Ugh really hope they refresh the Surface 2 relatively soon, don't want to wait until the fall for something using Tegra TK1. I would feel really dumb paying now for something with crappy API/standard support (Tegra 4).

Anony

My type cover 2 stopped working on my Pro 2 out of nowhere today. This happened once in the past, and I recall being able to fix it with a long power down. No dice this time. If I try the thing where you hold the power button and volume up for 15 seconds, the "2BR," the keyboard lights up for an instant when I plug it in, then the backlight immediately cuts, as if power has been revoked from it. No key response during any part of that. I tried system restores, battled through a variety of blue screens that I somehow caused in the process, and nothing. Everything short of a full system refresh.

At this point I'm just going to have to attach a USB keyboard, but I don't have a USB splitter, so I'll be losing my mouse, and have to resort to the touch screen. I don't have time to take this shit back to Microsoft or whatever, this is my work machine, I need it for work, I'm supposed to be working on it RIGHT NOW. At least has an on-screen keyboard so I can type SOMETHING.

Anyone got any brilliant ideas to fix my fucked keyboard? It lighting up for an instant if connected after the 2BR makes me think its salvageable somehow, maybe. Hopefully.

get a usb hub
use bluetooth keyboard or mouse

My advice is to check the website this coming Friday evening and Saturday morning - both the 128 and 256 were in stock when I checked this past Friday evening and Saturday morning.

Thanks, I'll be sure to do that. If not though, does anyone know if the Microsoft retail store has a student discount as well? I have one in the nearest mall which would be convenient.

Ugh really hope they refresh the Surface 2 relatively soon, don't want to wait until the fall for something using Tegra TK1. I would feel really dumb paying now for something with crappy API/standard support (Tegra 4).

Explain what you mean by crappy AIP/standard support. Buy it for what it does now. It's a very good tablet as is.

There would need to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy more 3D games available for WinRT for speed to make a huge difference.

Right now, I'd rather have the Walking Dead series, Shadowrun, Xcom...instead of a hardware speed bump.

Has anyone tried an Android emulator on their Surface Pro 2, or tried to dual boot with it?

I'm about to get a Surface 2 Pro as a work bonus (well, a gift card for the Microsoft Store, but what else would I buy!?), and the only app I'd really miss by selling my Nexus 10 is Pocket Casts which isn't on Windows (it syncs with my phone which I love and I use it pretty much every day).

If I can get it working through an emulator or a separate partition i think that might be enough, as long as it works properly. I don't think there are any other apps I'd really need.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Has anyone tried an Android emulator on their Surface Pro 2, or tried to dual boot with it?

I'm about to get a Surface 2 Pro as a work bonus (well, a gift card for the Microsoft Store, but what else would I buy!?), and the only app I'd really miss by selling my Nexus 10 is Pocket Casts which isn't on Windows (it syncs with my phone which I love and I use it pretty much every day).

If I can get it working through an emulator or a separate partition i think that might be enough, as long as it works properly. I don't think there are any other apps I'd really need.
http://www.bluestacks.com/

works pretty well. looks like pocket casts costs money so i cant test it out.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

According to a guy I talked to at Intel, it's because of licensing. Some server or virtualization company will charge you for how many physical cores you have despite only running on 1 CPU core for the virtualization. So Intel removed cores to avoid licensing cost. Virtualization licensing can be crazy expensive, like millions per year.

NeOak

According to a guy I talked to at Intel, it's because of licensing. Some server or virtualization company will charge you for how many physical cores you have despite only running on 1 CPU core for the virtualization. So Intel removed cores to avoid licensing cost. Virtualization licensing can be crazy expensive, like millions per year.

It's not the cores i'm talking about. Its features like VT-X, NX, VT-D, AES, etc.

Like, if you get a K unlocked CPU, you don't get certain stuff that you would get if you get the non-unlocked version. It's the same die for both, just different laser cuts.

Tablo

Explain what you mean by crappy AIP/standard support. Buy it for what it does now. It's a very good tablet as is.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...cs-disappoint2c-nvidia-in-defensive-mode.aspx

What I mean is that they went from lagging in APIs like Open GL ES 2.0 , DX9. To being the leader with Tegra TK1 since it's using a Kepler SMX, and Kepler is a modern GPU architecture, a very capable one at that. I've been waiting for them to do this for a good while, and Tegra 4 is powerful enough for Surface 2, but don't want to lag in standards that could enable some neat and useful features that will be prevalent in the future. No such thing as futureproofing, but Tegra 4 to TK1 is an insane jump, especially to the Denver version.

Watevaman

What option would I use to completely wipe everything and reset the Surface Pro 2? I want to make sure I leave no traces of anything before I get rid of it. I typed reset in the search box and an option came up to remove everything and reinstall Windows so I'm assuming it's that one?

qazqaNii

I found Surface 2 pro really interesting thanks to this thread, went to check on the price, and I was shocked on how expensive it is ~900 dollars? Wow I can build a better computer, or buy a better laptop.

Damn didn't know a tablet could get this expensive here I was thinking the IPAD was stupidly expensive.

I found Surface 2 pro really interesting thanks to this thread, went to check on the price, and I was shocked on how expensive it is ~900 dollars? Wow I can build a better computer, or buy a better laptop.

Damn didn't know a tablet could get this expensive here I was thinking the IPAD was stupidly expensive.

Compare it to ultrabooks. The MacBook air is the fairer comparison to the pro since both are pcs.

Animator

Surface pro is not comparable to ipad in any way. If you can't tell why it costs 900$ it is not for you anyway. For me it is a bargain what you get for that price and there is no alternative but the cintiq companion which is worse than the surface pro specs wise and costs 1200$ more.

Top Bottom