• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

Sai

Can somebody recommend a decent wireless (preferably bluetooth) numeric keypad? That one from Logitech, the N305, would have been almost ideal(since I was planning on getting their wireless mouse that was compatible with the same USB RF receiver), but it seems like they don't make it anymore. Folks are charging hundreds of dollars for it on Amazon and eBay. :/

Nice but no subtitles support? Hope gets added soon, not much use to me without it.

Subtitles are working for me. (At least for the few vids I tried). When the video is player bring the app bar, and on the lower right corner there will be a talking balloon icon. Touch there and then open subtitle file and then the filepicker pops up.

What is annoying me about the vlc is the volume is so damn low. Metro players already have low volumes by default but this one takes the cake... Talking about it, is there anything preventing metro apps from outputting loudly? Not a single player matches the volume of when I try to open the same video on a desktop player.

Subtitles are working for me. (At least for the few vids I tried). When the video is player bring the app bar, and on the lower right corner there will be a talking balloon icon. Touch there and then open subtitle file and then the filepicker pops up.

What is annoying me about the vlc is the volume is so damn low. Metro players already have low volumes by default but this one takes the cake... Talking about it, is there anything preventing metro apps from outputting loudly? Not a single player matches the volume of when I try to open the same video on a desktop player.

Don't think Metro apps should have different volume levels from desktop ones...

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

My vids don't have separate subtitle files, they are in the mkv

Maxxan

Ok, so my Surface Pro 2 won't boot, repair fails and all restore/format options fail. Since I'm an idiot I haven't made a backup copy of Windows, but at least all my stuff is backed up. Can I download a boot disk from Microsoft's website or will I have to return it?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
windows 8 is awesome, remoted into my windows 8 pc at work and I hit the volume on my surface, and it turned down my volume on my work pc.

Razdek

Banned
Picked up a 128 GB Surface Pro for $499 at Staples just for the hell of it because it was cheap. This thing is much more heavier than the RT but the performance is such much better.

Kibbles

Bought a Surface Pro 2 online just an hour ago... now I got to get a type cover. Edit: getting the type 2 also some netgear miracast device. Excite get.

Ryu1999

Bought a Surface Pro 2 online just an hour ago... now I got to get a type cover. Should I get the Type Cover 1 or 2? I thought I remember people debating about that. Any deals going on too? :S Might just have to check ebay or something.

Check your PMs

Feep

Banned
Hey, real quick, can someone link me to that combiner device that would allow me to use a headset (microphone plus headphones) on the Surface's single audio jack? I remember reading somewhere you could do that, but Fry's seems to have no idea what I'm talking about. :p

NeOak

Hey, real quick, can someone link me to that combiner device that would allow me to use a headset (microphone plus headphones) on the Surface's single audio jack? I remember reading somewhere you could do that, but Fry's seems to have no idea what I'm talking about. :p

2x 3.5mm 3-pin to a 4-pin 3.5mm jack?

Paganmoon

Well, picked up my bag, and my Surface 2 dropped out, got a crack on the left side of the screen now, about 1/4th of the screen is unusable for touch. Going to cost 1500 SEK (~$223) to replace from Microsoft. So I'm thinking of just binning it and getting a Surface 2 Pro instead. Anyone know of any deals in Europe for them? Cheapest I can find the 128GB in Sweden is 8800 ($1330/830£/990€) and the 256GB is 11470 ($1710/1080£/1300€).

Really regretting not trying to find the Pro2 while I was in the US this January...

hwalker84

Can't even get VLC for Windows 8 to launch. It launched one time. Started cataloging way too much of my stuff. Then it died and won't launch anymore.

maeh2k

If Microsoft not gonna bother making decent metro apps why should anyone else?

How exactly are none of Microsoft's apps bad? The bing apps are great. So are Skype, OneNote, OneDrive. The 'built-in' ones like Mail are pretty great too in 8.1.

NeOak

None of the apps are even remotely close to their desktop counterparts in any way.

You want the desktop app in Metro version?

You already have a desktop app that you can use with touch.

Stop being such a hater, everytime you post here is to whine.

None of the apps are even remotely close to their desktop counterparts in any way.

There are desktop counterparts to Bing apps? And is it really a problem that these immature environments don't have feature parity with Win32 right at this very moment?

YXS4spM.jpg

Maxxan

I know GAF isn't a tech support forum, but my Surface Pro 2 is dying on me.

1.After the March update nothing was working properly, so I decided to restore the device to factory settings.

2. The restore didn't work; the Surface Pro 2 was stuck in an infinite loop of failed restores. I downloaded a legal copy of Windows 8.1 (Windows had been updated to 8.1 before the device failed) and installed it from a USB stick.

3. The Surface Pro 2 functions, but it's still sloooow. I've installed the drivers, but something is definitely wrong. It takes a good 10-15 seconds to swich between apps.

4. Any other time I'd just return it and let MS fix it. However, I'm only borrowing this one, so if I hand it in I won't get it back =(

I need some GAF magic here.

so i see some deals for the original Surface Pro and Surface 2

i dont game or use any extensive video editing tools, just casual web browsing and maybe stuff like word apps & excel and using my netflix and crunchyroll accounts

so which one is better suited for my use? SP or S2? i dont think im gonna need a Surface Pro 2 for 899 honestly..

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

i dont game or use any extensive video editing tools, just casual web browsing and maybe stuff like word apps & excel and using my netflix and crunchyroll accounts

so which one is better suited for my use? SP or S2? i dont think im gonna need a Surface Pro 2 for 899 honestly..
Well there is a Netflix Application for WIndows RT, not sure about Crunchyroll, but that should work in the browser. Office RT is on the Surface 2 http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/home-and-student/office-2013-rt-faqs-FX103210361.aspx So probably a Surface 2. I'd just go to the store in person and play around with it and see if the device can suit all your needs.

ElNino

For your needs, either would do fine really.

Surface 2 would give you Office, has better battery life, is lighter and has the multiple stand angles (wish my Pro had this) but you obviously can't install any non-Windows Store apps.

Surface Pro would allow you install any Windows app (non-IE browsers for one) but will have worse battery life, is heavier and doesn't include Office (but you can install any version you want/have).

Ade

So, I just picked up a Gen1 Surface Pro.

Loving it, although I really didn't need another bizarre charger in my collection.

Any good sources (pref UK, but im not adverse to US keyboards) for a Type Cover and any sensibly priced sources of spare chargers?

Any other general dos/don'ts with the thing? Any recommendations for a decent case for it too? I don't like my shiny things getting scratched!

Warnen

Sure the surface 2 is better but crunchy roll ran like shit on the surface 1 I tried it on. I'd recommend the pro 2 for the better battery life. Using the 512gb one myself and its awesome. I know you dont want it for gaming but nothing bets playing south park at work :)

Sai

This thing runs super hot when playing games while it's docked. Should probably avoid that...

In other news, that Freedom Case Kickstarter's wrapped up a few days ago. Too bad the first batch won't be compatible with the Power Cover though.

hwalker84

Any try loading regular MP3s in VLC? App crashes every time I try to play one.

Dunno haven't sat down and messed with it again. It doesn't launch for me even after a reboot. It launched the first time got overloaded from my libraries and never launched again. Going to have to uninstall and reinstall. This is on my monster desktop.

Warnen

Having a strange issue. Trying to play the telltale games (walkingdead 2 and wolf). Game starts up fine but crashes when the game play starts. Did a refresh and walking dead 2 worked till I started up wolf, now they both are crashing again.

South park plays fine and so does walking dead 1.

Anyone have a fix?

MooMoo

Anyone who ordered a power cover get theirs in yet? I actually ended up cancelling my preorder but curious on any impressions. I've only found one user review and they said it was based on the type cover 1 as opposed to the type cover 2? A little disappointing if true.

captive

Anyone who ordered a power cover get theirs in yet? I actually ended up cancelling my preorder but curious on any impressions. I've only found one user review and they said it was based on the type cover 1 as opposed to the type cover 2? A little disappointing if true.

according to UPS mine is on the truck for delivery. I'll post some impressions tonight.

Sai

So... No backlit keys 'n stuff?

Lame, if true.

MooMoo

So... No backlit keys 'n stuff?

Lame, if true.
No backlit keys was known since the initial reveal, I think. Anyways, seems Paul Thurrott has put up his initial impressions and it does seem to be based on the second gen type covers sans backlit keys. I was more afraid that the power cover wouldn't have any of the other slight improvements seen from type cover 1 -> 2 and thought it would be really lazy of MS to have based the power cover on the type cover 1, especially considering the time it took to release it.

Warnen

Thinking probe gonna return mine, looks huge on the from the pics I've seen. At work I'm always plugged in and the normal battery last me the rest of the day.

sca2511

If the Power Cover is based on the Type Cover 1, I hope it has double tap and drag. I really want to get the Power Cover and the dock. Maybe even the wireless cover attachment.

PensOwl

Banned
Man, I'm really conflicted on whether to buy the power cover or not. Would it really be worth the extra 70$ and added 1.2 lbs?

captive

Power cover is here.

I have never used any of the other available keyboard covers for surface, so take t for what's its worth.

I like it. I'm typing on it right now and I find it very easy to type on. Its a little thick, but I anticipated this given its a battery keyboard. Weight, is really neglible for me. I usually carry my surface in a shoulder messenger bag so I barely feel it anyway. In fact I carried the other day an iPad the surface and my Nikon d800(large camera) with attached lens and only then was it hefty.

If you want absolute lightest weight I don't think the combination would be for you, but then again if you wanted just the lightest weight option I don't think you would have gotten a surface anyway, maybe?

Battery life, I have not charged it. It came with about 51% charge, I of course immediately plugged it into the surface. Surface was 99% charged, Been using it for roughly an hour and half and let it sit the rest of the time for a little over two hours. It has dropped to 27% charged with light browsing in IE11 with 9 tabs open, Mail app, calendar app, weather app all open. And Firefox desktop version with over 15 tabs open. Screen brightness at about 30% give or take. Windows is currently saying I have 17+ hours of battery left, I doubt that, but I will definitely let the blogs do the battery tests. I'm not about to setup and let it run till it dies.

Overall YMMV of course, but I like it.

Warnen

Having a strange issue. Trying to play the telltale games (walkingdead 2 and wolf). Game starts up fine but crashes when the game play starts. Did a refresh and walking dead 2 worked till I started up wolf, now they both are crashing again.

South park plays fine and so does walking dead 1.

Anyone have a fix?

Updated to titianfall/thief beta graphic drivers and games work now. Also fixes Hulu app pb4 error. Wish MS wouldn't push drivers in updates that boink things.

Kibbles

Just got my Surface Pro 2 and the text seems a bit fuzzy in Chrome. Is there something I can do to change that or what? :S

Top Bottom