• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

How is the Surface 2 rt as a laptop replacement? I have a full windows 8.1 tablet but I found the desktop difficult to use with the small screen.

I basically would just use it for word processing and Web browsing. My only sticking point would be that I want to be able to add attachments to online Web forms (I.e. attaching resumes to online job applications ₩.

How is the Surface 2 rt as a laptop replacement? I have a full windows 8.1 tablet but I found the desktop difficult to use with the small screen.

I basically would just use it for word processing and Web browsing. My only sticking point would be that I want to be able to add attachments to online Web forms (I.e. attaching resumes to online job applications ₩.

My only real complaint. I thought the screen would be big enough to do real work, but it's not.

I'd get this, but I don't want to spend the $40.

Love my Surface 2 other than that though, and in a pinch I can fire up excel or word and get stuff done.

My only real complaint. I thought the screen would be big enough to do real work, but it's not.

I'd get this, but I don't want to spend the $40.

Love my Surface 2 other than that though, and in a pinch I can fire up excel or word and get stuff done.
just get a 3rd party cable from Amazon or MonoPrice or something, i got one from Amazon for $6. the best part is it has a Male HDMI plug instead of a female port.

it's Micro HDMI -> HDMI for Surface RT/2 and Mini DisplayPort -> HDMI for Surface Pro/2

Love my Surface 2 still. It's $500 and does everything I need a media consumption device to do.

I know everyone thinks I'm crazy, but it's one of the best devices I've ever owned.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Fucking hell. Why does my surface need to be fully charged to update? It's plugged in!

Ok, just need to get it to 40%. Thank god.

dLMN8R

Fucking hell. Why does my surface need to be fully charged to update? It's plugged in!

Ok, just need to get it to 40%. Thank god.

Technical reason: UEFI (the BIOS which Microsoft doesn't control) won't even attempt to install a firmware update if your battery is below a certain percentage, even if you're plugged into A/C power. Windows knows about that limitation, so it ensures you have a high enough battery percentage before triggering the reboot to prevent that from happening.

aaaaa0

Technical reason: UEFI (the BIOS which Microsoft doesn't control) won't even attempt to install a firmware update if your battery is below a certain percentage, even if you're plugged into A/C power. Windows knows about that limitation, so it ensures you have a high enough battery percentage before triggering the reboot to prevent that from happening.

And 40% battery required is to prevent you from bricking the machine if your battery dies halfway through the firmware update and the AC power goes out at the same time...

Come home and find our ancient Surface RT's charger light isn't lighting. It had just been updated to Win 8.1. Now we can't even turn it on because we get the big low battery charge icon. Anyone else have this issue?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Alright, good to know.

Problem now though it's that it keeps failing to configure the update and I'm permanently stuck in please wait. It's honestly getting infuriating. I can't even seem to reset it now even though I've held the power button for 30 seconds.

I honestly still love the concept of the device, but Jesus Christ these past few weeks it's been nothing but trouble. I don't know why it keeps failing to update or failing to launch any metro apps at all (meaning that I can't access pc settings, like, what?), or for some weird reason completely fail to recognize the type cover until I restart. Such a fucking bummer honestly. I'll back up my files and see if a factory reset will help it.

sca2511

Come home and find our ancient Surface RT's charger light isn't lighting. It had just been updated to Win 8.1. Now we can't even turn it on because we get the big low battery charge icon. Anyone else have this issue?

Not sure if it's related, but once I had let the battery be drained, completely dead. When I plugged in the charger, it wouldn't light up and I thought it had turned faulty. I just left it in my SP2 anyway and I guess when the SP2 had enough juice, the light on the charger turned back on. It was strange, but I was glad that it wasn't a problem with the charger.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Interesting feature I found the other day. My pro 2, will let the battery drain even though its plugged in. It will drain and then charge, once it gets to a certain point. I think that's kind of neat given charging a battery all the time isn't the best thing for the battery.

maeh2k

I used it as a laptop replacement for a while. Worked well on the go. At home I used my desktop PC. However, if you want to use it as your main machine, then that's not a good idea. In that case just get a laptop. An RT also isn't as future-proof as a laptop.

If you already have a Windows tablet, just try using it like Windows RT. You don't have to use the desktop. RT has the desktop, too. It's just more limited.

Has anyone else been having trouble with their surface pro 1? I can't swipe in from the right for charms and anymore and the keyboard is constantly acting up. This thing feels like such a buggy POS at times.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Has anyone else been having trouble with their surface pro 1? I can't swipe in from the right for charms and anymore and the keyboard is constantly acting up. This thing feels like such a buggy POS at times.

Every once in a while the screen bugs so swipes don't work or the keyboard doesn't pop, but nothing a hard restart hasn't fixed. The one thing I had to deal with was my original charger actually sparking. Had a free replacement sent immediately but I'm not sure if that was the manufacturing or just a year of pulling on the thing.

In general, mine is chugging along fine but there are definitely some minuses in having the first gen. Not like the later gens are problem free either.

i get the occasional issue with the touchpad dragging instead of clicking, but none of that stuff you mentioned.

Every once in a while the screen bugs so swipes don't work or the keyboard doesn't pop, but nothing a hard restart hasn't fixed. The one thing I had to deal with was my original charger actually sparking. Had a free replacement sent immediately but I'm not sure if that was the manufacturing or just a year of pulling on the thing.

In general, mine is chugging along fine but there are definitely some minuses in having the first gen. Not like the later gens are problem free either.

i get the occasional issue with the touchpad dragging instead of clicking, but none of that stuff you mentioned.

Rebooting doesn't fix the swiping problem. It's only the right side and only if I use my finger, it works perfectly with the pen.

And Yeah, keyboard is constantly wonky as shit that I have to keep disconnecting and reconnecting to fix. I loved the device but it just feels like such a huge headache at times.

And the calibration software sucks, it makes the touchscreen worse instead of better after calibrating....

iavi

After wanting a Surface forever, I was recently given the opportunity to test-drive the SP3 over the weekend, and...it doesn't work; the frankensteining of laptop and tablet just makes for an awkward experience for either use :(

I actually think Lenovo and them have the better idea with products like the Yoga now, but even that needs some serious refinement.

iavi

What didn't work?

The experience.

Using it as a tablet, it works amazingly. It's awesome to be able to hold such a powerful machine in that form factor, but adding in the cover just makes things awkward; it's not the best thing to type on--on a table, let alone on the lap--annd both having to unattach it, or fold it around the back, when using the device as a tablet is cumbersome.

Using it honestly made me wish MS would make a surface laptop of some kind.

Started experiencing this on GAF (and seemingly only GAF) a few days ago? (I guess this kind of applies to Win8.1/IE in general, but those threads are dead)

K1rlSVa.png

Sai

I've never had that issue.

Can you guys recommend a better alternate stylus to me? I ordered the Bamboo feel stylus when I first got the Pro 2, but I was disappointed that I couldn't use the other end as an eraser—it was just about perfect otherwise.

NeOak

I've never had that issue.

Can you guys recommend a better alternate stylus to me? I ordered the Bamboo feel stylus when I first got the Pro 2, but I was disappointed that I couldn't use the other end as an eraser—it was just about perfect otherwise.

Maybe the ones for the Galaxy Note?

sca2511

I was wondering if you guys/gals know how to do a high multi point calibration test with the Wintab drivers installed? I know that there should be a way, since it seems there are people getting it done successfully on reddit, but they don't mention the steps to do it.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Man I love my surface. Been outside because its beautiful weather this weekend in Houston and have been writing blog posts on my surface for almost 3 hours with the screen brightness pretty much at 95% and I still have 60+ % of my battery, with the power cover.

Does anyone know if people at the microsoft store will look at your surface or do you have to mail it in? I really hate using it since the right side of the screen is fucked up for some reason. Works perfectly with a pen but I can't swipe to open the charms menu with my finger. Calibrating doesn't do shit.

f0lken

I formated my SP1, and where is my keyboard icon, I can't even minimize it with the icon that is usually on the lower right

c4Mn7fX.jpg

So what's a good price to sell a Surface Pro 2 (64gb) with a type cover for. I haven't used mine much at all, not as much as I thought I would at least. So I'm beginning to think it's time to re-sell it while it has any value. Anyone want one :p

so my uncle just gave me a surface tablet that he found, he didn't want it since he already has the ipad air. I was extremely excited when I got it, until I realized it was the RT model. In all honesty that thought never even crossed my mind cause, you know, the RT model is pointless and I couldn't think of any reason why anyone would purchase it. But it was a gift and its pretty neat one at that. Is there anyway to get another browser on this? internet explorers is doodoo, also is it possible to jailbreak it that way I can install whatever apps I want?(its 8.1 if that matters)

So what's a good price to sell a Surface Pro 2 (64gb) with a type cover for. I haven't used mine much at all, not as much as I thought I would at least. So I'm beginning to think it's time to re-sell it while it has any value. Anyone want one :p
I'd be down for the right price. I was considering the I3 SP3 but for the right price even the 64gb is fine for me.

Anything about storing apps on the SD card? My 32gb are full. Why on earth would Microsoft prevent me from buying more apps and games on their platform who's app store needs all the help it could get.

Ade

so my uncle just gave me a surface tablet that he found, he didn't want it since he already has the ipad air. I was extremely excited when I got it, until I realized it was the RT model. In all honesty that thought never even crossed my mind cause, you know, the RT model is pointless and I couldn't think of any reason why anyone would purchase it. But it was a gift and its pretty neat one at that. Is there anyway to get another browser on this? internet explorers is doodoo, also is it possible to jailbreak it that way I can install whatever apps I want?(its 8.1 if that matters)

Unless theres another browser in the store, which is doubtful, then no. Im also not sure whats wrong with IE nowadays, its pretty decent.

As for jailbreaking, there is a convoluted process to do it, but (obviously?) its not x86 architecture, so all it'd run are unsigned windows arm binaries, which are almost non existent.

nawwafh

So i got this FreedomCase i backed from Kickstarter for Surface.. Its amazing.. Check it out if any of u are looking for a cover with multiple position capabilities for the Surface RT/2/Pro/Pro2

Actually it's not doodoo.

It's a damn good tablet browser and makes the lack of certain apps a non-issue.

I wouldn't trade my Surface RT2 for one of the new iPads if you offered it with $100 cash.

IE 10 is a great browser. WAY better than Safari and Chrome on a tablet.

I fricken HATE Microsoft sometimes. Seriously, they came out with a great product and did shit all to advertise it's advantages over iOS devices (whose only advantage is the iOS ecosystem) and left it up to stupid OEMs that couldn't give a rats tail what OS is running on their hardware.

Just got a Surface 2 type keyboard off ebay for $70.

Seriously, someone needs to bitch slap Microsoft for not releasing the Surface 2 AND the keyboard for $399 at launch. Fucking dumb asses didn't want to sell a lot of these.

It's a great, YES GREAT media consumption/office tablet for that price.

But no...now we've got to spend either $800+ keyboard or settle for an android tablet or an iPad device. Grrrr....

NeOak

Just got a Surface 2 type keyboard off ebay for $70.

Seriously, someone needs to bitch slap Microsoft for not releasing the Surface 2 AND the keyboard for $399 at launch. Fucking dumb asses didn't want to sell a lot of these.

It's a great, YES GREAT media consumption/office tablet for that price.

But no...now we've got to spend either $800+ keyboard or settle for an android tablet or an iPad device. Grrrr....

Uh, the iPad doesn't come with a keyboard either.

Sai

I was about to say "well, the iPad is just a tablet", but then I noticed that he wasn't talking about a Pro 2. >_>

whitehawk

Banned
Thinking of getting a Surface Pro 2 today. It would be $599 for an open box 128gb model. Should I spring for it?

I'd be using it for note taking, web browsing, music notation software (sibelius/finale), a few games (Roller Coaster Tycoon, whatever light games it can run, emulators), videos and whatnot.

Top Bottom