• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
My laptop screen just cracked, but I'm not in the market for a laptop.

I just bought a surface 2 with a type cover 2, and almost every time I turn away from it and then come back and open it, the camera app is open and it's on the home screen and the tablet feels warm. What's going on? Isn't the tablet supposed to know that the type cover is closed? It's like the tablet is inadvertently pressing buttons and turning on the tablet. How do I stop this short of removing the type cover whenever I'm not using the device?
I'm not sure if it has this feature either - so I always use the power button at top to put it in sleep mode.

There was one time I just closed it without tapping the button, and put it in its bag to take to a mates place - I took it out and it felt like it was going to catch on fire.

Lucius86

Banned
Keeping my SP2. Very happy with it, despite sleep issues still being around. I will wait for a SP4/5 - whichever is around when Windows 9 launches.

ElNino

My laptop screen just cracked, but I'm not in the market for a laptop.

I just bought a surface 2 with a type cover 2, and almost every time I turn away from it and then come back and open it, the camera app is open and it's on the home screen and the tablet feels warm. What's going on? Isn't the tablet supposed to know that the type cover is closed? It's like the tablet is inadvertently pressing buttons and turning on the tablet. How do I stop this short of removing the type cover whenever I'm not using the device?
My Pro and my son's RT both go to sleep when the cover (Type or Touch) is closed. Try looking at your power settings for what to do when the lid is closed, maybe it isn't set to go to sleep there.

Lucius86

Banned
Can you describe the sleep issues?
Yep. Even with the latest updates I cannot reliably turn my Surface back on from sleep. Sometimes it works, sometimes it turns back on like I just shut it down, listing any unsaved work, or even worse it requires a hard reset. I can't put faith in it, very annoying!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Can you describe the sleep issues?

Surface wont turn on after screen shuts off, fan spins to max and have to reset... hope SP3 fixes this reaallllly annoying issue

Also.... anyone having problems with youtube and it redirecting to a googlesyndication webpage when there is an ad? It is driving me up the wall and even a restore didnt fix it

harSon

Banned
I'm probably going to end up getting a Surface Pro 3. I already have an iPad (3rd generation) and a Dell XPS 13 ultrabook that I bought late last year, but I'm really digging the Surface 3.

I don't really play tablet games, and the lack of apps isn't really a deal breaker since I don't use too many on my iPad to begin with. I mostly use my tablet for surfing, reading textbooks for class, reading comics and reading screenplays. It'd be nice to have one extremely transportable device that doubles as a tablet and a proper laptop.

I've said this before. Like a year ago.

I'd rather there be a Lumia/RT thread than continuing to see the Surface 2 grouped in with full Windows devices.
So let's start an RT thread. We may not have another chance again. We can cry on each others shoulders when no more RT devices are announced. Cry more when the upgrade path means we have to install a shitty Phone OS into our devices and use a downgraded browser.

Special C

My Pro 2 and Type cover 2 are doing weird things with my brightness. Currently I can only adjust brightness with the type cover attached. And my screen setting in the settings charms sometimes has a lock beside it sometimes does not.

Edit: Now I can never adjust brightness. Also when I disconnect or connect the cover the screen gets super bright for a second then goes back dimmer and I can't adjust.

Paganmoon

So, after much moaning and begging, I received a Surface Pro 2 at work, to test out GPO and appdeployment for Windows 8.1, and naturally, the first thing I did when I got home was to install Steam.
Downloaded my copy of Shadowrun returns and tried it out, worked out surprisingly well. It's not exactly the most graphically intensive game, but it worked really smoothly and the touch implementation works great.
However, while on the train home today, I played for about an hour, and as expected, the battery didn't last that long, but what surprised me was how hot the backplate got. It could be used to heat up my food easily. Not sure if it's normal or if it it's because we received a prior demo model from Microsoft. Also I had the type-cover folded back, while holding it, does that significantly reduce heat dissipation?

Anyone experience the same thing?

My Surface Pro 2's power brick seems to be toast. I bought it back in November...will Microsoft replace it or should I just bank on having to buy a new one?

Yes- just got off of a chat with one of their reps, they were very friendly and processed an order for a replacement power supply. Very happy with that experience!

Felensis

Banned
Anyone noticed that when you clicking a link which opens in a new tab (i.e. clicking on GAF on a YT link) it won't load unless you click back on the original tab from where you clicked the link? Pretty annoying and I don't know how to get rid of it -.-

I'm on a Surface 2 RT with 8.1 up-to-date via automatic Windows Update.

JaggedSac

Anyone noticed that when you clicking a link which opens in a new tab (i.e. clicking on GAF on a YT link) it won't load unless you click back on the original tab from where you clicked the link? Pretty annoying and I don't know how to get rid of it -.-

My original RT does this as well.

Pooya

underwhelming price cut, 40-50% off or get out! I'm sure it will come.

at same price I'd get pro3 64gb over pro2, the form factor is a lot better, after using pro1 for while now, thickness really matters to me.

Me too.

Returners

Does anyone know the return policy of Surface Pros at Microsoft Stores? I'm getting the new one for my mom but don't know if she'll like it.

I asked the rep there and he said it's 30 days opened no problem, but the online description says 30 days unopened.

NeOak

Does anyone know the return policy of Surface Pros at Microsoft Stores? I'm getting the new one for my mom but don't know if she'll like it.

I asked the rep there and he said it's 30 days opened no problem, but the online description says 30 days unopened.

You have 14 days to return it if you opened it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So I doubt anyone will be able to help with this, but whatev. When I shut my type keyboard on my Surface Pro 2, then reopen it, it seems like it reverts to some lesser-featured drivers. Before I close the screen, I can two-finger scroll in Firefox and let go and it'll keep scrolling a bit before it stops. I can also double tap on the pad, hold on the second tap, and drag as if I was holding the mouse button down (I understand this was new in 8.1 update 1, and something I'd been missing for ages). Both of these things stop happening when I close the cover and reopen it. If I detach the keyboard and re-attach it, it returns to the correct and more fully-featured behavior. (Except for one time when I detached it and the machine rebooted.)

Some things I've done that may or may not have caused this: I disabled the setting where closing the cover puts the machine to sleep, since I want to be able to close it, move it somewhere, and reopen it without the whole thing sleeping. I also disabled the ability for all of the keyboard and mouse devices in the Device Manager to wake up my computer, since I'd occasionally find the Surface awake and scalding in my work bag.

This is my second keyboard and second surface, both replaced due to issues with my keyboard occasionally completely stopping functioning, and being impossible to restore to functionality without just leaving the computer asleep for hours. I'd really love to NOT have keyboard issues with this thing, but I feel like that might just be too goddamned good to be true!

Has anyone else been able to reproduce this issue?

Top Bottom