• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

sca2511

So I doubt anyone will be able to help with this, but whatev. When I shut my type keyboard on my Surface Pro 2, then reopen it, it seems like it reverts to some lesser-featured drivers. Before I close the screen, I can two-finger scroll in Firefox and let go and it'll keep scrolling a bit before it stops. I can also double tap on the pad, hold on the second tap, and drag as if I was holding the mouse button down (I understand this was new in 8.1 update 1, and something I'd been missing for ages). Both of these things stop happening when I close the cover and reopen it. If I detach the keyboard and re-attach it, it returns to the correct and more fully-featured behavior. (Except for one time when I detached it and the machine rebooted.)

Some things I've done that may or may not have caused this: I disabled the setting where closing the cover puts the machine to sleep, since I want to be able to close it, move it somewhere, and reopen it without the whole thing sleeping. I also disabled the ability for all of the keyboard and mouse devices in the Device Manager to wake up my computer, since I'd occasionally find the Surface awake and scalding in my work bag.

This is my second keyboard and second surface, both replaced due to issues with my keyboard occasionally completely stopping functioning, and being impossible to restore to functionality without just leaving the computer asleep for hours. I'd really love to NOT have keyboard issues with this thing, but I feel like that might just be too goddamned good to be true!

Has anyone else been able to reproduce this issue?
Yeah it happens to me too. If it's the same issue, I lose all my gestures, double tap to scroll, and whatever else that uses the mouse other than just moving it around (sometimes I lose that function as well). It works again either by reconnecting my type cover or leaving it on for some time. I searched around about it and many think it's a driver issue rather than a cover issue, though I'm not really sure.

Is the power cover worth it? I'm hesitant to drop $200 on it considering I got my Surface Pro for $300 so I'm not sure it's worth the investment.

There was a sale about a week ago where it was, I think, $150. I haven't dipped on it yet, but if I had a SP1 I would for sure.

Does anyone know what happens to the accidental damage plan if I opt to trade in my Pro 2 for a Pro 3 at the MS store? I can get more for it if I sell it myself but if the plan transfers over then I might go that route.

Razdek

Banned
Do you want three more hours of battery life and a convenient keyboard, touchpad and screen cover?

Lucked out today and got an open box power cover at Futureshop for $159. The cover was brand new and didn't even have the batter port sticker removed. Happy to have found this and saved $40.

Special C

4400 (i5-4200U/i5-4300U CPU). The only Surface Pro model that will have the 5000 is the i7 model of the Surface Pro 3.

Can someone explain what that means in idiot terms? Usually when I'm looking at system specs for games I can just look at the graphics memory. Like if a game recommends a 1 GB video memory.

NeOak

Can someone explain what that means in idiot terms? Usually when I'm looking at system specs for games I can just look at the graphics memory. Like if a game recommends a 1 GB video memory.

There is no explaing in idiot terms. They are different models, one more powerful than the other :/

Looking at the video memory requirements to know is like looking at the capacity of a car's gas tank without knowing its maximum speed. You might get one with a huge gas tank but that can only go at 20mph or 20km/h.

Special C

What does everybody use for a protection when traveling? The Type cover obviously doesn't protect the back from scratches. I looking for something really simple and small like a sleeve to just slide over it.

Lucius86

Banned
What does everybody use for a protection when traveling? The Type cover obviously doesn't protect the back from scratches. I looking for something really simple and small like a sleeve to just slide over it.

I bought one of these, very happy. It's very tight with a keyboard on, but I like that. It also has a business card holder which is nice, plus a back sleeve where I keep my Mini-display to HDMI converter cable and expense receipts in. Does the job perfectly.

Surface-Wallet-Blk-Lead.jpg

http://www.thesnugg.co.uk/tablet-cases/microsoft/surface-2/sleeves/black-sleeve.aspx

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I bought one of these, very happy. It's very tight with a keyboard on, but I like that. It also has a business card holder which is nice, plus a back sleeve where I keep my Mini-display to HDMI converter cable and expense receipts in. Does the job perfectly.

http://www.thesnugg.co.uk/tablet-cases/microsoft/surface-2/sleeves/black-sleeve.aspx

I have this in brown and would also recommend it. Works just fine. Its tight with the power cover but that's just fine.
I just throw it in my messenger bag and go.

BubbaMc

Guys, GTA San Andreas isn't available on the Australian Windows Store. I'm sure I've seen it there before.

Just my luck, I'm ready to buy and now this happens.

What are my options to purchase this?

hadareud

The Translator
Using a surface 2 in the sun is not a good idea.

Been using it for about half an hour and it shut down, presumably because it overheated (the tablet hot as fuck right now).

You'd think it shouldn't be much of a problem in the UK, but it looks like 25 degrees and direct sunlight are enough.

edit: Yep, let it cool down for a bit and it's working again. Definitely overheated.

Prozel

So I'm in the market for a tablet to read comics among other thing (movies, music etc). I have no interest in Android tablets, and since I have an iPhone 5 my primary pick would be an iPad.

Now, I tried the Surface 2 recently and really liked it. Great screen, size all that jazz. My main concern I apps.

I buy my comics on Comixology, and I know they have an app, but has anyone here tried it recently?

The same goes for Spotify since they don't even have a native app, but there's Spotlite. Again, how is it (offline play etc).

Ade

The comixology app is fine, not HD and cant handle purchases from non US peeps though.

(you can buy via web though and read in it)

sca2511

The comixology app is fine, not HD and cant handle purchases from non US peeps though.

(you can buy via web though and read in it)

The Comixology app is really buggy for me. Sometimes, it won't complete downloads or gets stuck and will never complete. I've tweeted them about it, but not sure if it's been fixed yet. Also wish it was in HD. Even the browser version of Comixology isn't in HD.

Ade

The Comixology app is really buggy for me. Sometimes, it won't complete downloads or gets stuck and will never complete. I've tweeted them about it, but not sure if it's been fixed yet. Also wish it was in HD. Even the browser version of Comixology isn't in HD.

Did you enable the app to run in the background? I had a couple of downloady issues until I did that.

sca2511

Made sure to have it run in the background and everything seems to be running fine. So now it just needs HD, but other than that it's great.

dLMN8R

sucks. Any reason why?

Technical limitations, difficulty, compounded by devices generally having more storage than phones so it's not as big of a priority. The Windows 8.1 app platform and Windows Phone 8.1 app platform are pretty much completely different, so one of them having the ability to save apps to SD cards doesn't mean it's easy to port the feature to the other.

Treo360

Technical limitations, difficulty, compounded by devices generally having more storage than phones so it's not as big of a priority. The Windows 8.1 app platform and Windows Phone 8.1 app platform are pretty much completely different, so one of them having the ability to save apps to SD cards doesn't mean it's easy to port the feature to the other.

Got it, thanks. I know it was a hacked feature in 8.0, one that I took advantage of, and to be honest miss, oh well, can't have it all.

Special C

Something weird is happening with my SP2.

-Pressing Esc when in a window doesn't perform he function it should (i.e. playing FTL it doesnt bring me to the menu), it takes me to the start screen of windows.
-When I click on stuff in the start menu instead of opening the program, it places a check mark next to the stuff I click
-Windows button does not work.

These problems all crop up at the same time, and happen randomly. Only way to resolve the issue is to reboot.

NeOak

Something weird is happening with my SP2.

-Pressing Esc when in a window doesn't perform he function it should (i.e. playing FTL it doesnt bring me to the menu), it takes me to the start screen of windows.
-When I click on stuff in the start menu instead of opening the program, it places a check mark next to the stuff I click
-Windows button does not work.

These problems all crop up at the same time, and happen randomly. Only way to resolve the issue is to reboot.

Seems the Ctrl key is stuck. Can you try with a different cover?

how does the Pro 1 compare to the Pro 2 and 3?

or rather, is the Pro 3 miles ahead of the other two? I'm trying to figure out which model to buy

Riptwo

Looks like the Comixology downloads are stuck again.
You can cancel downloads by deleting a specific file (C:\Users\Your UsernameHereJOCEOCFOCPAMDMF\AppData\Local\Packages\comiXology.Comics_1peyd81c65ys8\LocalStateYour\UserNameHere\DownloadQueue.list), and they'll sometimes download perfectly afterwards. However, I've found that some larger books refuse to download no matter what I do.

Support seems to acknowledge that it's a bug, but man, coming from the iOS app to the Win8 version has been pretty rough.

Special C

Seems the Ctrl key is stuck. Can you try with a different cover?

It happens with the cover detached, I think I've pinpointed the source. Hearthstone just added W8 touch support, and it happens every time I quit Hearthstone. It's like the game does something to my touch settings and it doesn't reset when the game closes. It also locks me up completely some times.

Sai

My Freedom Case has finally shipped out.

The delays were really unfortunate, as I really could have made good use of it when I went out of town a couple of times earlier this summer.

Surface 2 is currently $100 off with best price at Fry's for $349, with free shipping + no tax.

Are you guys still loving your Surface 2's and in the unlikely event they're on sale for $200 on Black Friday / Cyber Monday, would you highly recommend picking one up?

sca2511

You can cancel downloads by deleting a specific file (C:\Users\Your UsernameHereJOCEOCFOCPAMDMF\AppData\Local\Packages\comiXology.Comics_1peyd81c65ys8\LocalStateYour\UserNameHere\DownloadQueue.list), and they'll sometimes download perfectly afterwards. However, I've found that some larger books refuse to download no matter what I do.

Support seems to acknowledge that it's a bug, but man, coming from the iOS app to the Win8 version has been pretty rough.

Thanks, this worked. All is working fine again. Just created a shortcut to the folder, in case of it happening again. Thanks!

Is there not a screen auto orientation now? WTF, no orientation lock icon on my screen brightness option either. So to flip my screen I have to to into the options? How awful.

NeOak

Is there not a screen auto orientation now? WTF, no orientation lock icon on my screen brightness option either. So to flip my screen I have to to into the options? How awful.

It's there on my 1520, but under its own setting, "screen rotation".

Special C

So Microsoft has deal with the NFL where they use Surfaces on the sidelines, and one of the FOX announcers called them iPads. Poor MS

Top Bottom