• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
xQ8IYrC.jpg

Gotta love that product placement.

MCD

That's not what I'm talking about. Japanese keyboards have a new dedicated for switching between the different Kana and Romaji. Currently I have to create a hotkey for my girlfriend as it's quite annoying not to have, or do a combination short cut.

I hope they didn't overlook this.

Oh, Send a twit to Panos Panay or any from the Surface team.

Zoe

Omg, looking at the Japanese page, I can't see the Japanese function key on the keyboard.

I need to know if it's just on oversight on the webpage or not.

Isn't it two over on the right from the space bar?

Edit: saw the dedicated keyboard pic, it is that key.

Auc7X0H.jpg

Izuna

Banned

Oh thank you so much! It's the key on the top-left that's more important actually. :)

Ah man, I'm totally getting one of these over Easter just in case I change my mind in the future.
She doesn't have to hold alt or run background processes for hotkeys anymore.

EDIT: I'm also loving the shape of the enter key on this version. Backspace being smaller is a little poo but you can't have everything.

Even though I said I opted out from the Surface Pro, I realised I could really use something of it's form-factor and stylus at Uni yesterday.

snoopen

It is also launching in New Zealand.

I don't think it is. I'm in AU, did some googling just then and couldn't find any info on this .. nor anywhere to buy in NZ.

For those with the Pro, i'm thinking of buying one.. can you please do a 1-2 sentence review with a yay/nay? i want it to take overseas to Europe for a month and use at work when i return.. thoughts?

Izuna

Banned
This is so cool, the Japanese Type Cover is only ¥10980, so that means I can pick it up for ~£77 -- it's also widely available in many stores.

That actually brings down the total price of the Surface Pro down by quite a bit for me. I also forgot I had some gift card balance left so I get another £25 off of the microSD card.

Giving more thought, I realised there is no way I need to have a gaming Bluetooth mouse because whenever I would actually use a mouse I would have space to use a USB hub -- to make things sweeter, I already have a USB 3.0 external drive that was "donated" to me... It's only 500GB not 2TB, but it's enough for a long while.

Still no news on availability in the UK is annoying though -- very vexing. I'm expecting £899 judging from the Surface RT price comparison of US and UK.

MCD

It's a miracle MS is actually bothering with the rest of the world considering Zune never left the US.

I'm very happy with Rayman Jungle Run on the Surface RT. It looks really sharp and runs great, just as you'd want on such a game. It's a treat to finally get to play this.

Xbox is a special exception. But none of Microsoft devices never came out in Europe or Asia. I am talking about the Kin phone, Zune etc. It is a shame 'cos I hear the Zune was a damn great device.
I'll give you he Zune, but the KIN was supposed to come out in Europe under Vodafone. Then it was sent to die in the US and the plans for Europe were cancelled as well.

Totakeke

I really hope you won't have any issues with it. RMA could be a bitch with this one.

Microsoft has been cool and lenient with their Surface RMA so far even though I imported it (had to change the Surface Cover twice, 1st-gen product bleh), but no complaints on the actual service itself. They must have exchanged a ton of products if you just extrapolate based on my experience.

eastmen

Banned
So guys, do you believe this story saying that apparently Surface is selling 3x better than all Chromebooks put together?

http://bgr.com/2013/03/18/google-chromebook-sales-rumor-383110/

I'm hesitant to believe it. But it would be pretty funny.

well honestly who looks at a chrome book and says that's a great idea, a laptop that becomes useless when I'm not connected to the web !

My friend at work bought one and we still can't figure out why. He thought it was the greatest thing ever and then after a week he never brought it back into work.

dLMN8R

well honestly who looks at a chrome book and says that's a great idea, a laptop that becomes useless when I'm not connected to the web !

My friend at work bought one and we still can't figure out why. He thought it was the greatest thing ever and then after a week he never brought it back into work.

I'm not looking at use cases or practicality of each, I'm looking at indications and articles around the web.

Chromebooks are cheap, have been on the market for nearly 2 years, have been highly-touted by tech blogs as nice cheap convenient netbooks that do a single thing really well.

They also have had great distribution and prominence at Best Buy and other retail stores, and unlike the Surface they've been sold all over the place in many stores for quite a long time now. Chromebooks have also had top-spots for PCs on Amazon very frequently.

So if this is true, it kinda says that Google is wasting a shitload of money on marketing, distribution, and retail presence that isn't really paying off. And that Amazon is a horrible indicator for success.

So guys, do you believe this story saying that apparently Surface is selling 3x better than all Chromebooks put together?

http://bgr.com/2013/03/18/google-chromebook-sales-rumor-383110/

I'm hesitant to believe it. But it would be pretty funny.

I can believe it, but it probably says more about Chromebook's failure than marking the Surface as a success. I know it doesn't mean anything, but I know more people with Surfaces (two) than I know with Chromebooks (zero). they're either stupidly low end, or stupidly high end for what they can do... shrug.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I had heard Chromebooks were selling well and one report said they were 10% of notebook sales or something. I wonder which one is true.

dLMN8R

I can believe it, but it probably says more about Chromebook's failure than marking the Surface as a success. I know it doesn't mean anything, but I know more people with Surfaces (two) than I know with Chromebooks (zero). they're either stupidly low end, or stupidly high end for what they can do... shrug.

Yeah, I'm not claiming this shows Surface a success, but rather just commenting on how the general impressions of how each is doing in the marketplace seem to present a completely different story. Before reading this, I'd have guessed that while Chromebooks had a slow start, they were really taking off and selling millions by now.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Wow, how dishonest or ill-informed.

You can view and edit many files in your Google Drive even without a web connection, which is pretty powerful. This edit capability includes PDFs, Microsoft Office files, and images on the Google Drive. When you reconnect to the web all changes are synced, with a timestamp, to the cloud version.

Google has provided developers with the ability to make Chrome web apps work offline. Not all apps are designed for offline use, but there are hundreds of them. You can check the offline category in the Chrome web store to see these apps in one place. At the time of this writing there are at least a thousand offline-capable web apps in the store.

http://www.zdnet.com/yes-you-can-use-the-new-chromebook-offline-7000006103/

You cheer lead for W8 phones and Surface, then laugh at low sales for Chrome? Wow, pot meet kettle...

Heysoos

Where I work, we don't sell too many Chromebooks, but we do get returns quite often when they do sell. People see the low price and automatically get it without bothering to do a small bit of research.

As for Surface sales, they've been pretty good, demand is pretty high. 128s are by far the most sought after, followed closely by the 64 pro. RTs don't seem to be catching much steam once the Pro came out. Also, everyone seems to prefer the type cover, which surprised me, for some reason I thought the touch cover would be the hotter of the two keyboards.

Obviously it's no indication of overall sales, just sales where I work.

eastmen

Banned
Wow, how dishonest or ill-informed.

http://www.zdnet.com/yes-you-can-use-the-new-chromebook-offline-7000006103/

You cheer lead for W8 phones and Surface, then laugh at low sales for Chrome? Wow, pot meet kettle...

Both options come with a huge amount of apps compared to a chrome books. Ive used them all a bunch. When you compare windows phone to iphone its a matter of missing a few apps while other apps can substuted in for the missing ones in the majority of cases. With chrome when comparing to windows phone this is not the case let alone with the bigger app stores

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
ralexand said:
400K in a month. Not bad. Would be interesting to see how well a Haswell version will sell.
Has a Haswell version suddenly been confirmed? For all we know that won't happen until Jan 2014(or ever, if MS pulls the plug) - but internet is talking about it like it's literally happening with Haswell launch (which would certainly give some people a cause to pause on buying the current one).

MCD

Well, even the Zune got three or so revisions so Surface 2 is a safe bet.

And next year is fine, I ain't in a hurry.

I'd love a 7 inch edition more though.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Most likely - but I was more talking about mide/near-term future.
The major differentiator of Haswell would be having proper sleep-mode and potentially better battery life. With MS dragging their feet releasing Surface where I live, the question of holding off does come up.

Wiktor

The "pot meet kettle" doesn't work here because WP and Surface are selling many times better than Chromebooks.
If those numbers are correct Chromebooks are the worst tech flop of last few years.

Top Bottom