• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

MCD

Flash update is up along with:

Surface RT improvements:

- Fixes to Wi-Fi reliability allowing for better roaming and improvements to "Limited" connectivity scenarios.
- Resolves issues with integrated volume button.
- Improved Type and Touch cover typing experience on soft surfaces and when devices and keyboard are lying flat.
- Resolves issue with random muting.
- Trackpad performance improvements.

Surface Pro:

- Fixes to Wi-Fi reliability allowing for better roaming and improvements to "Limited" connectivity scenarios.
- Windows To Go feature is enabled.
- Improved onscreen keyboard detection synchronization when going in and out of sleep.

cametall

Question about the Surface RT.

I'd like to use OneNote for meetings where I have to scratch out some handwritten notes, sometimes a lot of them (margin notes, not detailed class type notes). Currently my desk and shelves are a mess with paper.

Anyways, I'd be using mostly OneNote assuming I can get some kind of stylus that handles handwriting well (does OneNote even allow use of a stylus?).

Also I'd possibly be using the Office software on occasion outside of OneNote.

I wouldn't be using it to replace my home or work desktops, but more to "enhance" my productivity with OneNote and the Office software on the go. I don't think I'd even touch PowerPoint.

The Surface type keyboard works with RT too correct?

Am I better off looking at the Surface Pro or even something like a Lenovo Yoga? I understand there is a difference in the way they can handle use of a stylus.

clav

I have the 32GB and it's fine, but I use it mostly for work and make a lot of use of SkyDrive. If you're going to be doing a lot of media, I believe 64GB is the max for the SD card slot. Definitely the Type Cover over the Bluetooth keyboard. I've done both, and it's so much more convenient to open up and start typing than to haul an extra keyboard around.

Get a nice Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for less (including tax) off of a site like amazon. Something like the wedge accessories or nice mouse/keyboard from Logitech. I would look at an x86 tablet if you're going to spend in the 64GB RT price range unless you need basic office and can't get it cheap.

Thanks for your responses.

I'll have to think about it over then.

MooMoo

Sigh...so I think I have a problem with my second Pro. My arm was touching the edge of it while charging and I'm pretty sure I got shocked. Googling around this seems to be an issue, although I was able to trigger the shocks on the left edge and not the right edge. .
Anyone wanna offer opinions on whether or not I should set up an exchange for this? When this happened last night I definitely know what I felt and it happened multiple times so I'm casting out static electricity as a cause. But I can't exactly seem to reproduce the shocks today. I've kinda felt around and I *think* I felt a few shocks today but they are nowhere near the intensity of the first set of shocks I felt. Whereas the first set felt like sharp pinches, the ones I've felt today are more on the tingly side/barely noticeable. But at this point I can't help but think maybe I'm imagining them.

I'd like to use OneNote for meetings where I have to scratch out some handwritten notes, sometimes a lot of them (margin notes, not detailed class type notes). Currently my desk and shelves are a mess with paper.

Anyways, I'd be using mostly OneNote assuming I can get some kind of stylus that handles handwriting well (does OneNote even allow use of a stylus?).

I wouldn't be using it to replace my home or work desktops, but more to "enhance" my productivity with OneNote and the Office software on the go. I don't think I'd even touch PowerPoint.

Am I better off looking at the Surface Pro or even something like a Lenovo Yoga? I understand there is a difference in the way they can handle use of a stylus.

Yes, OneNote supports stylus, and even has handwriting recognition so it can convert it to text.

Typetouch covers work for both devices.

I'd recommend the Pro. It has an actual stylus included, instead of a capacitive "stylus" (basically a finger on a stick) which you have to buy separately. Plus you can run all Win8 apps. The only reason I'd say get the RT is if battery life is your biggest concern. It has double the battery life of the RT.

so can we have a surface pro desktop gaming thread? exchange what works, what resolution, what settings etc? some gamnes have youtube videos but it would be great to have a special thgread for this

What other office software do you want to use besides Onenote? You're better off looking at the Pro based off of what you said so far. Unless you can type the notes out with the type keyboard. Making the writing legible, erasing mistakes, and being comfortable while writing would be a pain on RT for you.

Zombies!!! came out, and I'm loving it. Been playing it on my RT. I've occasionally had some weird graphical glitches that didn't effect playability and one crash so far (although it had still saved my progress so that wasn't so bad). I'd still recommend it. It's a digital version of the board game by the same name. There was a good Windows Phone version, but the bigger screen makes a huge difference for this type of thing. I'll check it out on my Pro later today.

DagsJT

Zombies!!! came out, and I'm loving it. Been playing it on my RT. I've occasionally had some weird graphical glitches that didn't effect playability and one crash so far (although it had still saved my progress so that wasn't so bad). I'd still recommend it. It's a digital version of the board game by the same name. There was a good Windows Phone version, but the bigger screen makes a huge difference for this type of thing. I'll check it out on my Pro later today.

Do you have a link?

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/zombies/64f26638-6a04-43c3-b846-f4b1b15cd05b

Yeah, it's a fairly decent version of the board game, but i wish they'd let you zoom in a little more. I also get these weird graphical glitches all the time, sort of like visible lines which stretch from all the zombies on the board to the active player. It's pretty annoying, but you can still play it. Hopefully they'll be quick about patching it, and getting some DLC out (more cards and environment tiles).

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

I wish they added asynchronous play with the WP version. Seems like a no brainer.

cametall

What other office software do you want to use besides Onenote? You're better off looking at the Pro based off of what you said so far. Unless you can type the notes out with the type keyboard. Making the writing legible, erasing mistakes, and being comfortable while writing would be a pain on RT for you.

Excel and Word.

I'm thinking the Pro is the way to go. Having a psuedo ultrabook would be more beneficial in my case than something that is just a tablet.

Thanks for the feedback!

GTI Guy

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/zombies/64f26638-6a04-43c3-b846-f4b1b15cd05b

Yeah, it's a fairly decent version of the board game, but i wish they'd let you zoom in a little more. I also get these weird graphical glitches all the time, sort of like visible lines which stretch from all the zombies on the board to the active player. It's pretty annoying, but you can still play it. Hopefully they'll be quick about patching it, and getting some DLC out (more cards and environment tiles).

If I buy the game can I play it on my PRO and RT device without paying for it twice?

Totakeke

It doesn't have multiplayer over the internet either right?

Galactic Reign is a pretty decent space combat, like a simplified combat version of space 4X game, with good async multiplayer.

Still waiting for more board games on the cross-platform train. First to make a decent card game wins

DagsJT

Cheers, I'll look into it this evening.

Totakeke

The update just fixed the keyboard not being repolled (attached or detached) when waking up, so now I don't have to pull it off, and then put it back on anymore.
feelsgoodman.jpg

I believe so.

No online MP, and the option to use Xbox avatars is greyed out on my RT.

I was using them fine on my RT last night, and fine on my Pro earlier, but then it stopped working. not sure if it's something on the server side. Seems to be working now for me at least (on the pro).

Lourio

Surface Pro 128 GB user here...

Any feedback in regards to this month's firmware update in regards to WiFi? LINK

Fixes to Wi-Fi reliability allowing for better roaming and improvements to "Limited" connectivity scenarios.

Before this update being released this week, I had to disable N on my router to get better Wifi performance - according to this article.

Will try tongiht with N mode enabled on my router to see if the problem still happens.

JaggedSac

I have to say I am impressed so far with how polished the Galactic Reign game is. I have yet to see anything that was wonky or sluggish. Impressed with how well it performs on the RT. Menus scroll well, things load quickly, the cloud service has worked flawlessly for me so far(this could be due to the fact that only me and probably 5 other people are playing). Really wish the battles would have more stats to go along with them, how much damage each ship group did, how fast they were destroyed, how much damage they took and from what enemy ships, etc. It is hard to see where my strategy failed. The video is neat but it is impossible to tell what is going on in terms of the flow of battle. Notifications pop up quickly for turns, such as the other guy has already done his stuff and as soon as I click to finish my turn, a notification instantly pops up telling me I can go again. Perhaps I shouldn't be impressed with such things, but on the RT I cannot take such things for granted, lol. Minesweeper has some bizarrely odd sluggishness sometimes.

A world of keflings is out too. Runs nicely with touch controls on the pro. Only complaint is that in the menu for building things a column of stuff isnt viewable. Its there to click but you can't see it. Not sure if this is a free trial bug or not though. Here is the link to check it out. http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/fc8c5199-c2a8-49a6-9b9d-114d7f6f47c9

Will definitely pick this up. A nice little time waster. MS has been making spend a lot of money lately via their 360 sales and a couple of their W8 releases.

Izuna

Banned
*sigh* oh well

Holding onto money for the Surface Pro since January isn't doing me any good. I'm out, same as with the Lumia 920. They really shouldn't wait so long after announcing these things.

I'll return when there's another version or around September or something.

*sigh* oh well

Holding onto money for the Surface Pro since January isn't doing me any good. I'm out, same as with the Lumia 920. They really shouldn't wait so long after announcing these things.

I'll return when there's another version or around September or something.

yes, really annoying. im importing pro now! will be cheaper anyway

The Shift

Banned
We had 5 Surface Pro's lined up for work but are now planning to cancel them and get Thinkpad Helix instead..they should be out in 4-6 weeks in Australia we hope..too bad MS

MooMoo

Anyone with a Pro mind trying this out? It's kinda nitpicky but I'd appreciate it if someone could spend a minute or two trying this.

At no point during all of this should you lift the pen away from the screen; always keep it close to the screen such that the pointer for the pen is always present. Use the pen to launch an application with a UAC prompt (i.e. CPUID Hardware Monitor) -> attempt to tap 'yes' or 'no' on the UAC prompt. I can't seem to do this since the pointer for the pen disappears once the prompt pops up. Likewise, once I do lift the pen away and then go to tap 'yes,' the pen's pointer doesn't pop up again until I lift it away/bring it back to the screen.

Just wondering if this is normal.

Pachimari

I'm considering getting a Surface with Windows RT. but can I run software like Dreamweaver, Photoshop etc and can I pinch to zoom with the touchpad on the touch cover for Photoshop?

I'm considering getting a Surface with Windows RT. but can I run software like Dreamweaver, Photoshop etc and can I pinch to zoom with the touchpad on the touch cover for Photoshop?

If you want to run any of that software, Surface Pro is the product you're looking for. Surface RT only run Windows Store Apps. The only stuff that runs in the desktop on RT are MS pre-installed software such as Office.

f0lken

1 million RTs bad, they should have sold at least double of that, especially with the holidays.

400k of pro are fantastic, in just one non traditionally consumist month (excluding valentine's day), in far less countries than RT, and $900 at the minimum. I can't wait to see the second gen of pro

MS should bring RT down to the 7-8" and sub-$300 if they want Windows RT to survive.

hwalker84

How are people still this confused? Surface Pro is the device you're looking for.

Anyone with a Pro mind trying this out? It's kinda nitpicky but I'd appreciate it if someone could spend a minute or two trying this.

At no point during all of this should you lift the pen away from the screen; always keep it close to the screen such that the pointer for the pen is always present. Use the pen to launch an application with a UAC prompt (i.e. CPUID Hardware Monitor) -> attempt to tap 'yes' or 'no' on the UAC prompt. I can't seem to do this since the pointer for the pen disappears once the prompt pops up. Likewise, once I do lift the pen away and then go to tap 'yes,' the pen's pointer doesn't pop up again until I lift it away/bring it back to the screen.

Just wondering if this is normal.

I didn't do this specific test but I can tell you many times the surface stops recognizing the stylus. I fix it by just pulling about 6 or more inches away from the screen. The surface recognizes the stylus when I put it near the screen again. It is like a mini reset.

It is a bit annoying but not really a big deal at all. Would be nice if they fix it.

Lourio

Surface Pro 128 GB user here...

Any feedback in regards to this month's firmware update in regards to WiFi? LINK

Before this update being released this week, I had to disable N on my router to get better Wifi performance - according to this article.

Will try tongiht with N mode enabled on my router to see if the problem still happens.

Didn't run in to any 'Limited Connectivity' issues after enabling N mode on my router. Now we need that Wacom driver to be released..

JaggedSac

1 million RTs bad, they should have sold at least double of that, especially with the holidays.

400k of pro are fantastic, in just one non traditionally consumist month (excluding valentine's day), in far less countries than RT, and $900 at the minimum. I can't wait to see the second gen of pro

MS should bring RT down to the 7-8" and sub-$300 if they want Windows RT to survive.

Yeah those RT numbers are not good. Interested to see if they do a second gen or if they give it up.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
How are people still this confused? Surface Pro is the device you're looking for.

While I agree with you... I think it's pretty clear, especially if you read the product descriptions of the devices... but the RT in general was a mistake by MS. I say that, and I'm an owner of an original Surface that I love dearly.

Blackhead

Redarse

A 7-8" Windows RT in it's current form, i.e a miniature Surface RT, would flop even harder. Amazon, Apple, Google all have reasons for people to pick up their smaller tablets (Books/Movies, Apps and Android, respectively) but Microsoft's primary draw for the RT, a free complete Office suite, is a nonstarter on a tiny tablet. Perhaps if Microsoft included a wacom digitizer+pen on a 7-8" RT and push OneNote (I mean really advertise the thing --I know folks who've 'studied' Office in classes and don't know OneNote exists) then they could get a foothold with RT. If not Microsoft should be planning an Atom tablet for ~$500 right now

MooMoo

I didn't do this specific test but I can tell you many times the surface stops recognizing the stylus. I fix it by just pulling about 6 or more inches away from the screen. The surface recognizes the stylus when I put it near the screen again. It is like a mini reset.

It is a bit annoying but not really a big deal at all. Would be nice if they fix it.
Alright thanks. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with mine.

MCD

Surface RT launches today in Japan, gets a cameo in Ghost In the Shell anime

It's taken its sweet time to leap over that Rising Sun, but Microsoft's Surface RT tablet has finally arrived in Japan. Priced at 57,800 yen ($600), it's launching today in collaboration with Ghost In the Shell series, Arise, where the Surface RT will apparently be making some cameo appearances, with a view to referencing its touch interface. If you're interested in seeing how Microsoft's lightweight tablet might look in the robotic future, we've added a concept sketch after the break.

HT9bPbU.jpg

DYwX1n7.jpg

cGfdbEy.jpg

It is also launching in New Zealand.

Izuna

Banned
Omg, looking at the Japanese page, I can't see the Japanese function key on the keyboard.

I need to know if it's just on oversight on the webpage or not.

Top Bottom