• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Milchjon

Microsoft Germany should invest in a better copywriter. On the Surface Pro page it says:

Surface Pro ist ganz neu, und dennoch können Sie damit alles machen, was Sie auch auf dem PC erledigen.

Which roughly translates to "Although Surface Pro is brand new, you can do anything on it that you can do on a PC".

It's literally the first line on the page.

Microsoft finally announced Age of Empires II HD.

Age of Empires II HD Edition will launch on April 9 exclusively through Steam across the world. Gamers won't need to wait that long to play, however, as those who prepurchase (at a 10 percent discount) will be able to jump in April 5.

Age of Empires II HD Edition includes every single-player campaign from the Age of Kings original and the Conquerors expansion, totaling 18 in all. In addition, gamers can challenge other Steam players through the game's online mode.

According to Microsoft, Age of Empires II HD Edition has been remastered for high-resolution displays at 1080p. It also includes an "enhanced visual engine" sporting improved textures for terrain, water and fire, and ambient lighting effects.

Steamworks features for Age of Empires II HD Edition include achievements, leaderboards, matchmaking, and cloud support. In addition, gamers can share user created content through the Steam Workshop.

Lastly, Microsoft revealed the minimum system requirements for Age of Empires II HD Edition today. They are listed below, along with the game's debut trailer.

Minimum System Requirements:
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 Pro
Steam Software Platform
900x600 minimum display resolution
Direct X 9 Capable GPU
1.2GHz CPU
1GB RAM
2GB HDD
http://www.gamespot.com/news/age-of-empires-ii-hd-arriving-april-9-6404962

Maybe I should get a Surface Pro just for this. :lol

Coldsnap

Anyone have problems importing their Google account conctats? When I add an email account on my surface my google accounts wont go with it, so when I type a work email I have to type out all their emails. I also checked an option to important contacts while adding the email.

Coldsnap

NVMed figured it out! I really like this thing. I wish I understood more what games I could download and play on my RT, I know a lot of stuff can be played on the Pro. What's some good controller support game? I was digging playing pinball with a controller, awesome!

If I bought skulls of the shogun can i download it for free on my Surface?

Returners

NVMed figured it out! I really like this thing. I wish I understood more what games I could download and play on my RT, I know a lot of stuff can be played on the Pro. What's some good controller support game? I was digging playing pinball with a controller, awesome!

If I bought skulls of the shogun can i download it for free on my Surface?

How did you get it working? Did you end up having the contacts?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So I emailed Wacom asking if updated drivers were coming and I just got a standard email saying that it's MS's product go ask them. So frustrating. >_>

Anyone have problems importing their Google account conctats? When I add an email account on my surface my google accounts wont go with it, so when I type a work email I have to type out all their emails. I also checked an option to important contacts while adding the email.

This 'sort' of explains what is going on (or see my complaint post on the page before this):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/use-google-windows-8-rt

I found a workaround for a 'read only' calendar for my surface pro (which is fine):

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/calendar/a4rwsYrga3o

see Justin's workaround for that one.

Coldsnap

How did you get it working? Did you end up having the contacts?

I guess I didn't have the contacts. I went to my GMAIL settings and all the contacts were there but just not officially added. So I checked all then "add contacts". On my surface I deleted the account and re-loaded it with checking "add contacts etc"

hwalker84

It's good being the guy who test all of our new tech. Getting a Surface Pro on the companies dime!

On a side note. My replaced Surface RT is fantastic. I can actually watch a HD stream on Youtube. Even from my shitty hotel network with 2-3 bars.

MechDX

Wife surprised me with a 32gb Surface for my birthday. Had a bunch of app updates and let it download while we went to my kids open house. Come back and most of them updated and installed. I picked some apps from the app store to download and they all just sit there saying downloading but not one status has changed in over an hour. I tried stopping and restarting and they just keep doing the same thing: nothing.

Any ideas?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Wife surprised me with a 32gb Surface for my birthday. Had a bunch of app updates and let it download while we went to my kids open house. Come back and most of them updated and installed. I picked some apps from the app store to download and they all just sit there saying downloading but not one status has changed in over an hour. I tried stopping and restarting and they just keep doing the same thing: nothing.

Any ideas?
Close the store application by dragging down from the top and all the way down to the bottom.

MechDX

Close the store application by dragging down from the top and all the way down to the bottom.

Tried that and all the gray bars under the app tiles are still all gray and say "downloading" but not one single one of them is filling the meter. the wifi is connected as I have used the browser while waiting.

stktt

Banned
Tried that and all the gray bars under the app tiles are still all gray and say "downloading" but not one single one of them is filling the meter. the wifi is connected as I have used the browser while waiting.

Try running "wsreset". That should clear the cache.

m0dus

Banned
Finally had time to sit down and do some actual artwork with this thing. Sketchbook pro in Lieu of Sai, trying my hand at some value studies and some linework.

8541315256_45597cb79c_b.jpg
8540213831_b3ba33a567_b.jpg

Chris R

So I've been using one (from work) for the past few days, and it isn't terrible. The weight is just right for the size of the thing and so far battery life for me hasn't been bad. The keyboard is pretty bad but I haven't set it down on a solid surface yet. The biggest issues I've had with the thing so far are related to windows 8.

I won't be getting one, but it is good to see that the pro isn't a bad product. I'd recommend it to someone outside my family if they wanted a new computing device, but since I seem to be the primary support provider for family members I'd suggest them sticking to 7 for the time being :p

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
So I've been using one (from work) for the past few days, and it isn't terrible. The weight is just right for the size of the thing and so far battery life for me hasn't been bad. The keyboard is pretty bad but I haven't set it down on a solid surface yet. The biggest issues I've had with the thing so far are related to windows 8.

I won't be getting one, but it is good to see that the pro isn't a bad product. I'd recommend it to someone outside my family if they wanted a new computing device, but since I seem to be the primary support provider for family members I'd suggest them sticking to 7 for the time being :p

Windows 8 was designed for a tablet like this. Don't see why you would recommend someone sticking to win7.

Izuna

Banned

If you install Classic Shell on Windows 8, there is pretty much nothing to prefer Windows 7 for. Just change the setting that makes the Windows key the way to get to Modern UI and bob's your uncle.

Nero3000

So whats the availability like instore now? (for 128GB)

I have a colleague going the US this month who i can ask to get for me.

So whats the availability like instore now? (for 128GB)

I have a colleague going the US this month who i can ask to get for me.

Monitor the best buy website. You can see if the store for whichever city he will be in has stock. It changes daily.

If the city has a Microsoft Store the chances of finding one are higher.

How well will Sony Vegas run on a Surface Pro? I am asking for a friend who may want to get a Pro if Vegas is working on it without any big problems.

On the other hand, I had the chance to try out the Surface RT. I love how the device looks and feel in my hands. I clearly can see the Pro version to use it as a laptop for the university. It seems like the perfect thing for it. I think I am pretty sold on the Pro. Still I have to find a solution for a short battery life...

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
My Surface pro had its first spill today. My dog knocked it off the arm of my couch. It landed on a corner and slide under the couch. Left a big dent in my floor but the surface didn't give at all (had varnish scrapings stuck in rubber around the screen). Only damage was 2 light scratches on the back. This thing is built like a brick.

Raven77

A few questions:

- Has anyone found a great slip cover case for this thing yet? I'm not using the type pad and just want something low profile that flips over and securely protects the device when not in use.

- Have they released any new info about pressure support in Photoshop?

Thanks.

Onikaan

Sorry guys, I'd like to ask a few questions too! I've been looking for something to replace my desktop PC and was considering a Surface.

I'd probably use it more like a laptop than a tablet, would it fill that role? Anyway, a few Q's:

- Does it run a full version of Windows? I mean, can I transfer my PC files and folders onto it?

- Can it replace a laptop or desktop PC? Obviously I won't be gaming on it, purely for day to day things.

- Can it run programs I.E Skype ( Not the App version ). (Itunes?).

- And if you have one, would you recommend it? (You can big it up a little here to push me over the edge)

Apologies for my boring novice questions.

railGUN

Banned
Sorry guys, I'd like to ask a few questions too! I've been looking for something to replace my desktop PC and was considering a Surface.

I'd probably use it more like a laptop than a tablet, would it fill that role? Anyway, a few Q's:

- Does it run a full version of Windows? I mean, can I transfer my PC files and folders onto it?

- Can it replace a laptop or desktop PC? Obviously I won't be gaming on it, purely for day to day things.

- And if you have one, would you recommend it? (You can big it up a little here to push me over the edge)

Are you looking at the RT version, or the Pro version?

railGUN

Banned
Eh, probably RT. But if you think Pro is mor elike the thing I need then we can roll with that idea.

The Pro can do the things you asked about (work with your PC files, run all existing Windows software, etc.) The RT is far more limited, and is more like an iPad rather than a laptop. The Pro is also $1100+ for the 128GB with a touch keyboard, though, vs the RT which is a lot cheaper.

f0lken

Surface Pro is what you want, if you can afford it go for it.

Onikaan

The Pro can do the things you asked about (work with your PC files, run all existing Windows software, etc.) The RT is far more limited, and is more like an iPad rather than a laptop. The Pro is also $1100+ for the 128GB with a touch keyboard, though, vs the RT which is a lot cheaper.

Surface Pro is what you want, if you can afford it go for it.

Ouch... Expensive machine. Don't think it's out here in the United Kingdom yet.

Also, Touch or Type? It's only got 1 USB port, right? Anyway to up that? Would adapters work?

I'll have to look into it some more. Thanks guys.

MooMoo

Sigh...so I think I have a problem with my second Pro. My arm was touching the edge of it while charging and I'm pretty sure I got shocked. Googling around this seems to be an issue, although I was able to trigger the shocks on the left edge and not the right edge.

Bleh, I almost feel like just returning it for a full refund and keeping my current laptop. Just really tired of having to return shit back and forth. I also already installed my screen protector and Office 2013 =/

This is the most unluckiest streak with hardware I have ever had. I really do love the thing but it's just so much hassle to get a perfectly working unit.

Maddness

Damnit. Every time I see this thread I keep thinking it's about the now cancelled TV show about aquatic Godzilla like sea creatures.

I do, however, own a MS Surface and I think it's pretty sweet. I don't like using MS Word on it, though. So when I take notes at work or go into meetings I still use my iPad.

Plus I regret getting the plastic keyboard and not the actual pressed key keyboard. It feels weird when I type and I just can't get used to it. I think I'm going to go get one soonish.

1. The Surface Pro does run the full version of Windows 8, the Surface RT does not. You can transfer files to the RT just like you can the Pro, though. The RT will open just about any file that full Windows 8 supports, aside from .exe's.

2. The Surface Pro definitely can replace a desktop or laptop. The RT can too, assuming you understand what it can and can't do and are OK with that. I only have a Surface RT - no laptop or desktop and only twice have I needed to use my girlfriend Macbook Pro to get something done that I just couldn't do on my RT.

3. The Surface Pro can run anything, but the RT can not run .exe's. You're limited to whatever is in the app store with the RT.

4. The Surface (RT) exceeded my expectations on just about every level. At the time I bought it, I had an iPad 2 and an Alienware M11x 11" laptop (running Windows 8) and came into the Surface really just wanted to try W8 on a tablet for an extended amount of time. After a month of using the Surface as my primary device, I sold my iPad 2 and my laptop, so that should tell you how much I enjoy the it. No regrets, because the RT does everything I need it to do, with some neat surprises. The one thing that I love about it the most, if that I can have 2 apps open at once. With my iPad, I could not surf the web and watch videos at the same time so I'd use my laptop for that, but laying in bed with a laptop is uncomfortable to me. I may grab a Surface Pro 2nd gen whenever that it released, but I'm perfectly happy with my RT.

clav

Thinking of picking a RT up.

32GB or 64GB?

Type cover or bluetooth keyboard?

-----

Tried out the touch cover keyboard after work today at a demo unit. The typing experience is not as bad as I thought it would be as I prefer typing on a mechanical keyboard with Cherry Blue switches. There is a tactile sound that emits from the system to let the user know that keys are hit. As Microsoft said, the typing design is more for short-term use, not for something to write essays/blogs/work on.

I kept missing the keys above home row if I typed 100 wpm or above, but when I slowed down to about 60-70 wpm then all the keys were actually registered. Even key combinations were recognized as well.

Schlep

32GB or 64GB?

I have the 32GB and it's fine, but I use it mostly for work and make a lot of use of SkyDrive. If you're going to be doing a lot of media, I believe 64GB is the max for the SD card slot. Definitely the Type Cover over the Bluetooth keyboard. I've done both, and it's so much more convenient to open up and start typing than to haul an extra keyboard around.

32GB or 64GB?

Get a nice Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for less (including tax) off of a site like amazon. Something like the wedge accessories or nice mouse/keyboard from Logitech. I would look at an x86 tablet if you're going to spend in the 64GB RT price range unless you need basic office and can't get it cheap.

This is probably more interesting for Surface (RT) users than general Windows 8 users.

Microsoft is going to enable flash content in IE Metro by default, instead of using the white list.

Starting tomorrow, we are updating Internet Explorer 10 in Windows 8 and Windows RT to enable Flash content to run by default. On Windows 8, all Flash content continues to be enabled for IE on the desktop.

As we have seen through testing over the past several months, the vast majority of sites with Flash content are now compatible with the Windows experience for touch, performance, and battery life. With this update, the curated Compatibility View (CV) list blocks Flash content in the small number of sites that are still incompatible with the Windows experience for touch or that depend on other plug-ins.

We believe having more sites “just work” in IE10 improves the experience for consumers, businesses, and developers. As a practical matter, the primary device you walk around with should give you access to all the Web content on the sites you rely on. Otherwise, the device is just a companion to a PC. Because some popular Web sites require Adobe Flash and do not offer HTML5 alternatives, Adobe and Microsoft continue to work together closely to deliver a Flash Player optimized for the Windows experience.

This updates the immersive IE experience on Windows 8, and both the immersive and desktop IE experiences on Windows RT. The update will be made available to customers with Windows Update. The curated CV list applies to IE on the desktop for Windows RT since the most common reason to block Flash is that the site relies on other plug-ins that are not available on Windows RT.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2013/03/11/flash-in-windows-8.aspx

I don't buy the reason, but that doesn't really matter.

Top Bottom