• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

JaggedSac

2. The second question, is there a way to change the scrolling so it's not the inverse scrolling when using the keyboard cover? I prefer the inverse scrolling when using a tablet but when using the trackpad I hate having to scroll in inverse, it just feels weird and I always mess it up.

I believe there is a MS app in the store that will have this setting. Can't recall the name of it though.

Several recent Windows Laptops/Ultra-books and Tablets have changed the default behavior of the F1-F12 Keys into Multimedia actions, but it is easy to revert to default behaviour... I don't have my Surface Pro here with me, but I believe the following instructions will help you:

Hmm, if you have a chance to check let me know. I was just messing around with it in the store, I didn't get one yet but I'm interested if that works. I'd appreciate it if you got a chance.

First minor Problem with my surface pro (which is incredible otherwise):

It just won't find the WiFi of my apartment. It finds every single WiFi around, but not my own one. My phone and every other computer here finds it easily.. what could cause the problem

MCD

It just won't find the WiFi of my apartment. It finds every single WiFi around, but not my own one. My phone and every other computer here finds it easily.. what could cause the problem

Did you try the usual stuff? Like messing with your router's WiFi security (WPA/WPA2, enterprise/personal), heck what will happen if it's on WEP or no security at all?

There is also the 1 to 11 channels that may or may not be related.

You can also try manually inputting the SSID and password and see if it connects that way.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2

Change modem/router channel?

iFootball

Hmm, if you have a chance to check let me know. I was just messing around with it in the store, I didn't get one yet but I'm interested if that works. I'd appreciate it if you got a chance.

I'm sorry, I just verified and the option to reverse the behavior of the Fn Keys is not included in the "Windows Mobility Center" as I had suggested; it turns out I recalled this from my previous Dell PC...

I also checked the "Touchpad Settings" app in the App Store and it doesn't provide that functionality either...

I'm sorry, I just verified and the option to reverse the behavior of the Fn Keys is not included in the "Windows Mobility Center" as I had suggested; it turns out I recalled this from my previous Dell PC...

I also checked the "Touchpad Settings" app in the App Store and it doesn't provide that functionality either...

Lame. :/ Was this something changed with windows 8? My windows 7 pc from like 2 or so years ago worked normally. It'd be less annoying too if I didn't always use it to close programs.

Edit: Checking the microsoft forums, it seems like there's nothing that will fix it unless microsoft stops being lazy. I went from getting one to definitely not getting one now. :/

There has to be a keyboard mapping program out there...

or have you checked the bios? I doubt it though

Checked what in the bios? Something like that definitely wouldn't be in the bios. And from what I understand you can remap but then all the functions you're replacing is lost. The one mapper I saw suggested seemed like it didn't handle adding the function button to the mapping. I still wouldn't know without getting one though, unless someone is willing to test it..

f0lken

Checked what in the bios? Something like that definitely wouldn't be in the bios. And from what I understand you can remap but then all the functions you're replacing is lost. The one mapper I saw suggested seemed like it didn't handle adding the function button to the mapping. I still wouldn't know without getting one though, unless someone is willing to test it..

Have you tried this? http://www.randyrants.com/sharpkeys/

Totakeke

So apparently the warranty for Surface is valid internationally in countries that sell the device. That's pretty awesome for importers.

Wanace

Surface Pro is finally available in China and I want to buy one. I just want to know what the options are for reinstalling the OS after purchase because I'm sure out of the box it will have the Chinese language as default.

Anyone know?

Surface Pro is finally available in China and I want to buy one. I just want to know what the options are for reinstalling the OS after purchase because I'm sure out of the box it will have the Chinese language as default.

Anyone know?

Well it has windows 8 pro, which has support for a wide variety of languages out of the box. Just go through control panel until you get to language options and you're set. Only the new Chinese variant that comes with windows 8 basic contains only the Chinese language.

Izuna

Banned
Wow it's the 6th and not even an announcement? So I have >£1000 waiting and my first year is basically over. I can't believe they announced this thing way before I even started Uni this year.

Ridiculous, I'm going to see if I can get a US version in the UK (eBay not MobiCity). If I can't, well, that's that.

The painful thing is that I already have a similar spec Laptop so now it feels like I completely wasted my time.

Blablurn

Anyone know?

you will also become one of them? :(

Man, to be honest. Surface Pro looks really nice. Too bad they havent announced it yet for Germany. Maybe one day... if i got a little bit too much money :D

Wanace

you will also become one of them? :(

Man, to be honest. Surface Pro looks really nice. Too bad they havent announced it yet for Germany. Maybe one day... if i got a little bit too much money :D

One of us, one of us, one of us.

I tried picking it up today but Surface Pro is sold out everywhere in Beijing. Only that shitty 3rd product, the Surface China Edition which has Win 8 Home edition on it is available.

Wanace

Have u tried Taobao?

Nah I'm not that desperate, I have a Suning right next door to me which is the retailer which carries it in China so I'll just wait til it's back in stock and pick one up. Don't want to mess with delivery and payment online.

playing Planescape Torment on Pro. game is playable using touch only problem is scrolling to look around since its mouse on edge of the screen to scroll

Going to try Baldur's Gate soon (not enhanced edition)

zorbsie

Shuffle party is great on the surface. Really liked this game on wp7. Feels great on the tablet. And its free with achievements. Yes, I'm one of those guys.

Nero3000

Tired of waiting.

Any UK people had experince of importing a Surface Pro from Ebay?

EDIT: Bit the bullet. Ordered one. The below helped in the decision. Will post my experience.

So apparently the warranty for Surface is valid internationally in countries that sell the device. That's pretty awesome for importers.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

Is the router in your apartment 2.4 GHZ and the Surface pro 5 Ghz or vice versa?

MooMoo

Is the touch screen keyboard supposed to pop up with desktop apps? I swear I remember it never showing up when I use chrome in desktop mode but recently it has started popping up and it's really annoying lol.

Feep

Banned
I go in hoping with every update that the one remaining problem with my Surface Pro will be fixed. Nada. = (

If the kickstand is active and the my type cover is down on a hard surface, it works perfectly. But if the type cover + Pro are just laying flat in my bed, it will randomly decide to just stop registering keypresses for awhile. It'll work perfectly, and then BAM, nothing for fifteen keystrokes.

I wonder if anyone else has this problem...?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Finally broke down and ordered a Pro. Watching Che from the office play normal PC games is what broke me down. I will keep the RT for personal stuff.

Lucky for some.

Which games were being played?

With a ltlle tweaking most ue3 games will run playable. I also played tf2 in 1080p with default settings and only had some stutter when there was a lot going on on the screen.

Check out this thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529152

Its not that active yet, but that might change with more people gaming on their pros!

There are also a lot of YouTube videos of people playing and testing stuff on their pros

Conor 419

Banned
Yeah, if you could I'd be grateful.

I've never ordered from abroad before, were the import costs on top of the price of the device itself?

WSJ: "Microsoft Plans 7-Inch Tablet", surprising no one.

One person familiar with Microsoft's product plans said the 7-inch tablets weren't part of the company's strategy last year, but Microsoft executives realized they needed a response to the rapidly growing popularity of smaller tablets like Google Inc.'s 7-inch Nexus, which was announced last summer, and the 7.9-inch iPad Mini introduced by Apple Inc. last October.

PC Sales in Free Fall

Half of the tablet computers shipped in the fourth quarter were smaller than 8 inches, according to research firm IDC.

In tablets, Windows 8 also hasn't budged Microsoft's negligible market share as Google's Android and Apple dominate the fast-growing tablet market. So far, Microsoft and its hardware partners haven't pushed Windows 8-powered gadgets smaller than 10-inches—meaning they have missed out on the mini-tablet boom.

Microsoft executives have conceded publicly that consumers want less expensive touch-screen devices than Microsoft and its allies have been able to sell them. To make Windows 8 computing devices more appealing, they are urging a wider variety of touch-screen computers and tablets at a broader range of prices.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323741004578415661035812902.html#

Wanace

Just got my Surface Pro yesterday here in China, delivered to my door.

The delivery man was a bit surprised when I handed him a wad of cash to pay for it but then it was mine.

It was a royal pain in the ass with my limited Chinese knowledge to find the language options and then it took about 3 hours to download a 150 MB English language pack, despite the fact that I usually get pretty high speeds here in my apartment.

After all the issues were settled though and I switched the display language to English, it's been amazing. I really like it quite a lot and can definitely see myself getting a lot of use out of it.

It does get warm and the pen is pretty much useless for me unless I want to make some sketches or something in the future. It's also quite heavy.

Other than that it's a dream machine, the type cover is awesome and the screen is great.

Played some Civ 5 on it today too, works like a dream.

Top Bottom