• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Of course it will be windows RT. The whole 50/50 snap view along with the new resolutionguidelines suggest that windows blue in rt takes 7 inch tablets into consideration. Would make no sense to run windows phone on it. But yeah, I'm sure they'll merge that completely in the next or second next release after blue

TKR92

I love the machine so far. But the camera is so bad, compared to iPad.

When I attend seminars, I have to go with iPad & 'notability' for note taking & quick photo.

Blackhead

Redarse
I love the machine so far. But the camera is so bad, compared to iPad.

When I attend seminars, I have to go with iPad & 'notability' for note taking & quick photo.

Wouldn't it be easier to use your phone + skydrive/dropbox/photostream for pics?

TKR92

Wouldn't it be easier to use your phone + skydrive/dropbox/photostream for pics?

I tried that way. But did not work for me.

In my major, presentations are quite fast and also info rich. So not enough time to going back and forth between 2 devices.

dLMN8R

Just got my Surface Pro yesterday here in China, delivered to my door.

The delivery man was a bit surprised when I handed him a wad of cash to pay for it but then it was mine.

It was a royal pain in the ass with my limited Chinese knowledge to find the language options and then it took about 3 hours to download a 150 MB English language pack, despite the fact that I usually get pretty high speeds here in my apartment.

After all the issues were settled though and I switched the display language to English, it's been amazing. I really like it quite a lot and can definitely see myself getting a lot of use out of it.

It does get warm and the pen is pretty much useless for me unless I want to make some sketches or something in the future. It's also quite heavy.

Other than that it's a dream machine, the type cover is awesome and the screen is great.

Played some Civ 5 on it today too, works like a dream.

The Chinese version doesn't come with other language packs preinstalled? That's pretty surprising. The US version comes with 3 or so languages preinstalled, and whenever 2 you don't use are automatically deleted on next reboot.

dLMN8R

Has IE gotten faster on Surface RT with recent updates? Or is this just a symptom of doing a Refresh a couple weeks ago? IE switches tabs, closes tabs, and is overall a lot smoother now than I remember it being since launch.

hwalker84

Has IE gotten faster on Surface RT with recent updates? Or is this just a symptom of doing a Refresh a couple weeks ago? IE switches tabs, closes tabs, and is overall a lot smoother now than I remember it being since launch.

Every update this thing gets faster.

MCD

Surface RT reminds me of Windows Phone 7, in that every update significantly improve it and that revision 2 will probably axe something out. I am hoping they drop the closed part or open it up slightly.

By that, I mean either approve of desktop apps or make RT devices more widely available by dropping the OCD features implemented by MS, more customization by hardware OEM and of course making RT license as cheap as dirt.

Otherwise this thing will never take off with Atom closing the performance gap by this fall. Heck, even with it at the current state, it still blows RT with ease.

Tl;dr I love the idea behind Surface and RT devices but not when I can get Intel powered devices cheaper with more power and compatibility to boot.

And there is the never ending competition by Android, Apple and Amazon.

Wanace

The Chinese version doesn't come with other language packs preinstalled? That's pretty surprising. The US version comes with 3 or so languages preinstalled, and whenever 2 you don't use are automatically deleted on next reboot.

Yep, Chinese version has Chinese language only installed. Upon boot you don't have the option to choose language, you have to do it yourself which is a bit of a hassle.

Still once you get it done it's smooth sailing.

I've always thought that the IE metro app can't handle Flash (since I tried Surface RT back then), but since its PRO I get to watch flash video on it

MCD

I've always thought that the IE metro app can't handle Flash (since I tried Surface RT back then), but since its PRO I get to watch flash video on it

RT and Metro IE can run flash content now. They removed the silly whitelist thingy a while back.

Izuna

Banned
I tried that way. But did not work for me.

In my major, presentations are quite fast and also info rich. So not enough time to going back and forth between 2 devices.

Wouldn't your phone automatically upload pictures to SkyDrive though? Mine does and it's pretty fast, it all ends up in the same folder structure as would taking pictures with the camera.

TKR92

Wouldn't your phone automatically upload pictures to SkyDrive though? Mine does and it's pretty fast, it all ends up in the same folder structure as would taking pictures with the camera.

I don't know. Maybe my wifi network is quite slow.
But as I said, taking pictures with a phone and going back to the tablet for a note taking is not a great way for me.

Genji

Picked up a Surface to use as my primary work laptop over a few different ultraportables I was considering. Really impressed with it so far.

Got a wedge kb and mouse (no type or touch cover) and haven't had any issues with it outside of having to hold down the FN key to access the F1- F9. Wish there was a way to toggle that on or off.

Even with VS 2010 and SQL Server and other work software installed, it runs smooth, and was able to output the display to a projector for demos. Battery life when doing work isn't so hot, but I can live with that.

I need some advice. My Tab 10.1 just crapped out on me (stuck in a loading loop, which I'm told is the first and last indicator of a hardware fault) and I'm thinking of buying a Surface.

How's everyone feeling with their purchase so far? Anyone regretted their purchase and gone back to Android/ iOS? How's the app situation, etc?

bedlamite

Surface-GAF, I seek thy help

I'm this close to picking up an RT, however I already have a Yoga 13" and an iPad mini. I sold off my old iPad 2 as soon as I heard that the Surface was coming out; I picked up the mini as I still wanted access to the iOS app store, and owning 2 10" tablets seemed pretty redundant. I don't need a Pro as the Yoga has similar internals (I got the laptop at a heavily subsidised price). It seems I'm drowning in mobile tech (also own a Lumia 920 btw), would the RT just be a waste of money?

SPDIF

Surface-GAF, I seek thy help

I'm this close to picking up an RT, however I already have a Yoga 13" and an iPad mini. I sold off my old iPad 2 as soon as I heard that the Surface was coming out; I picked up the mini as I still wanted access to the iOS app store, and owning 2 10" tablets seemed pretty redundant. I don't need a Pro as the Yoga has similar internals (I got the laptop at a heavily subsidised price). It seems I'm drowning in mobile tech (also own a Lumia 920 btw), would the RT just be a waste of money?

As much as I like my Surface, with the devices you already have, I'd have to say that yes it would be a waste of money.

Unless you really need to have access to MS Office, or need to have full USB support, I'd just stick to what you already have.

Izuna

Banned
I don't know. Maybe my wifi network is quite slow.
But as I said, taking pictures with a phone and going back to the tablet for a note taking is not a great way for me.

Fair enough -- I suppose you'd like to use OneNote if the Surface Pro had a decent camera. You try getting a camera to attach to it.

Either way, if you've already got an iPad and it works well for that that's cool enough. As an engineering student I need to use certain x86 programs and print-screen into OneNote and take pictures too. The SkyDrive folder really helps with that.

bedlamite

Yeah well I went ahead and got the RT anyway, finances be damned! Been using it for a couple of days and it's pretty sad how MS's completely mismanaged the marketing for this thing. RT shits on iOS from a great height and it's unfortunate how its just not getting much traction from developers.

Plugged in my Fiio amplifier/DAC combo for shits and giggles and the RT installed it in seconds, pretty amazing.

0GHlJmX.jpg

Yeah well I went ahead and got the RT anyway, finances be damned! Been using it for a couple of days and it's pretty sad how MS's completely mismanaged the marketing for this thing. RT shits on iOS from a great height and it's unfortunate how its just not getting much traction from developers.

Plugged in my Fiio amplifier/DAC combo for shits and giggles and the RT installed it in seconds, pretty amazing.

0GHlJmX.jpg

No, all Microsoft products suck. Sales numbers tell you that. Windows 8 is garbage because start button metro colors.

0GHlJmX.jpg

Still mulling over buying one myself. Are you generally happy with the purchase? I know the app store doesn't yet have the same volume of apps on iOS/Android, but have you come across any issues finding apps?

snoopen

Buy a pro.

Watching game of thrones 1080p on a flight then hooking my camera straight into adobe light room makes the device an absolute joy.

Buy a pro.

Watching game of thrones 1080p on a flight then hooking my camera straight into adobe light room makes the device an absolute joy.

Hmm, I might just end doing this. How are you finding access to apps, etc? Any issues? I've heard there are a great many apps and I'm somewhat used Android and its overflowing apps, games,etc.

DagsJT

Still love my RT and can only really see myself letting it go for a RT second revision. It just does everything I want (browsing, 720p video, music) and very well.

I've owned an iPad and Nexus 7, both of which I'd rather have the Surface instead of.

I really want a Pro, but I think I have to wait until this Fall/Winter when I could get one with the new Intel chips that could significantly increase battery life without sacrificing power.

Alx

I really want a Pro, but I think I have to wait until this Fall/Winter when I could get one with the new Intel chips that could significantly increase battery life without sacrificing power.

I got to the same conclusion. The pro would be a nice upgrade from the RT, but only if it can match its battery life. Running real PC software is fine, a real stylus is even better, but in the end it doesn't matter if you have to keep it plugged during the day.
I'm fine with the RT right now (and glad I didn't wait for the pro, since it's still not available here).

You waited until now, you can wait another 6 months for the better second revision.

Or he could wait 12 months for the third one...
Delaying the acquisition of PC hardware (or equivalent) for 6 months sounds like delaying it forever. I remember when I built my first PC, I had asked an expert if it was the right time to buy one, and he told me "It's never the best time to do it, so it's always the right time."
There will always be something better 6 months down the road, so either you keep waiting with nothing in your hands, or just bite if the current version is fine for your needs.

Or he could wait 12 months for the third one...
Delaying the acquisition of PC hardware (or equivalent) for 6 months sounds like delaying it forever. I remember when I built my first PC, I had asked an expert if it was the right time to buy one, and he told me "It's never the best time to do it, so it's always the right time."
There will always be something better 6 months down the road, so either you keep waiting with nothing in your hands, or just bite if the current version is fine for your needs.

While I'd usually agree with you, it's not true, when it comes to first generation consumer electronics. The second revision a year later is better in almost every possible way. See iPhone, iPad, Zune, Surface, Kindle, Nook and there are probably other examples I don't remember.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Been loving my surface pro for months now, sold my MBPr and iPad (4th gen) a while back so my pro has been my only portable for a few months now. Only thing I miss really is imessages, using Skype but feels a bit lacking.

App store could use more touch games but can't really complain when I can play Defiance on the crapper.

I love the new interface, hope vlc comes out soon so I don't need to use the ugly desktop so often.

bedlamite

Still mulling over buying one myself. Are you generally happy with the purchase? I know the app store doesn't yet have the same volume of apps on iOS/Android, but have you come across any issues finding apps?
Games are still a great big fail on the RT, and I'm still waiting for VLC for the RT, but every other category is pretty much covered for me. There're beautiful and useful Reddit apps, Twitter apps, Youtube apps, Pocket/Readability/etc apps, comic reader apps and so on

The Surface is nice hardware, but yeah, Tegra 3's looking a little long in the tooth at this point. Still, the Metro UI really really comes into its own on a tablet, I say go for it if you can spare the cash.

While I'd usually agree with you, it's not true, when it comes to first generation consumer electronics. The second revision a year later is better in almost every possible way. See iPhone, iPad, Zune, Surface, Kindle, Nook and there are probably other examples I don't remember.

I wager MS are still 3-4 months away from even announcing the next iteration of the Surface, and it'll most likely come out just before the end of the year, which leaves Miles more than half a year to enjoy a Surface should he decide to pick one up now. If he doesn't already have an iOS/Android tablet, there's no need to wait, IMHO. Just get the v1

Izuna

Banned
So I spent the money I was saving on a Vita, Lumia 920 and possibly too much food, and since time has past again I have enough to buy the Pro again.

Now I know it won't be out tomorrow, but the next time it would make sense to buy such a thing would be September (next semester). Do you guys think it's too close for a Haswell device? I mean if someone new were announced I'd wait.

So I spent the money I was saving on a Vita, Lumia 920 and possibly too much food, and since time has past again I have enough to buy the Pro again.

Now I know it won't be out tomorrow, but the next time it would make sense to buy such a thing would be September (next semester). Do you guys think it's too close for a Haswell device? I mean if someone new were announced I'd wait.

Wait for Haswell, Jesus Christ!

I just hope that the next version of the Pro drops alongside RT (and probably 7-8" version as well) in the fall instead of having to wait until February.

Zeknurn

I just hope that the next version of the Pro drops alongside RT (and probably 7-8" version as well) in the fall instead of having to wait until February.

Surface RT and Surface Pro are probably in for a holiday refresh but I could see the Surface 8 hitting when 8.1 goes GA. They need to get a cheaper and smaller tablet out there as soon as possible.

venne

I hope the smaller version has a Bay Trail processor in it (and LTE).

I would love to have a little tablet that could turn into a full fledged desktop.

Izuna

Banned
=(

Wifey brought the iPad Mini she was gifted from Japan. I jailbroke it etc. but it's so useless... Wordament isn't as good on it as it was on the RT.

I dunno what I was expecting since she already has iPod Touch and iPhone (4S), but I was saying that this device would be cool. It really isn't. =( It's such a shame she was gifted iPad Mini instead of the Surface which had just released in Japan. She's already wanting to give it away.

Blackhead

Redarse
On the off chance that if gets announced sometime in Q3 2013 and releases Q2 2014, I'd miss the opportunity to use this device at Uni once again.

Yeah Microsoft really needs to have the next generation in stores before the Fall semester and should strongly consider a 'Back to School' special sale or Education pricing program. Apple's got them beat in that regard.

Top Bottom