• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Milchjon

Thurrot thinks Surface may actually be modestly successful

While Microsoft has yet to provide sales figures for its Surface lineup, it’s pretty clear that Surface was successful enough to overcome the bad effects of diminished Windows 8 license sales in the most recent quarter. Ignoring the delayed recognition of pre-release sales of Windows 8 upgrades, Windows division revenues were flat when compared to the same quarter a year ago. By all accounts, the division should have recorded a revenue drop-off commensurate with the 12.5 percent drop in PC sales in the quarter. Surface made up a big part of the difference, perhaps all of it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So are we to expect some sort of refresh this year on the Surface? I have had my eyes on one for a little while, but I can't justify the cost if we're just going to see a better model in just a few months.

venne

So are we to expect some sort of refresh this year on the Surface? I have had my eyes on one for a little while, but I can't justify the cost if we're just going to see a better model in just a few months.

No one knows definitively, but it would be shocking if an update was not to happen with Intel's new chips coming so soon.

hwalker84

We're all assuming there's going to be a refresh with Tegra 4 this year and Haswell. As well as updates for smaller screen devices.

Wasn't there a guy in here bemoaning the lack of surface availability in the UK. Congrats! All your dreams have been answered!

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/23/4257124/microsoft-expands-surface-pro-availability

why did this take so long?
Oh man. I need a mobile work station for the fall semester. Should I jump on board in two months or should I wait for the second generation?

Do we have any rumors about a second generation Surface Pro? Or even a rumored date for the unveil?

Oh man. I need a mobile work station for the fall semester. Should I jump on board in two months or should I wait for the second generation?

Do we have any rumors about a second generation Surface Pro? Or even a rumored date for the unveil?

ULV Haswell comes in q3/q4, so that is the absolute earliest you can expect a second generation surface pro. Rt with tegra 4 will probably come earlier.

Izuna

Banned
Wasn't there a guy in here bemoaning the lack of surface availability in the UK. Congrats! All your dreams have been answered!

ooooooooooooooooooooooooh...

End of May is end of Uni (exams), but honestly I still want this.

Unfortunately all the talk of Haswell coupled with the realisation that I should wait made me spend my Pro savings on a bunch of gifts for the gf... But technically I can sacrifice eating well for this...

Low chance but I'll see. I'm happy I have a choice now.

You waited until now, you can wait another 6 months for the better second revision.

6 months is a painful wait but I will hold out. I'm just tired of lugging around my 15" laptop and the tiny screen of my HTC Arrive. Maybe when I get the Ativ S next month [hopefully] that will be enough screen real estate that will hold me over until the new Pros arrive. I've already cleared the purchase with the wife--I bought her an RT for Christmas which she uses daily--so she's open to the buy either as a delayed birthday or Christmas gift.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Finally got my Surface Pro. Not quite sure what to do with the RT now, but I think it might work as a media server.

LOVE the Pro. Just freaking LOVE it.

Finally got my Surface Pro. Not quite sure what to do with the RT now, but I think it might work as a media server.

LOVE the Pro. Just freaking LOVE it.

Stop. I'm trying to hold out till the next version. I need to use my spending money on a lumia 928...not a tablet

Ushae

Banned
GAF I'm THIS close to buying the RT version of Surface. It would be used for INternet browsing and streaming videos off my NAS. Is the surface capable of streaming 720p movies? I heard there was a VLC app in the works that can apparently play anything does anyone know if this is done yet?

P.S. Would the RT version be eligiblefor an upgrade when the new 'Blue' Upgrade is released?

Alx

Yes the official metro remote client is a must-have (especially since the other one doesn't have features like shortcuts to charm or window key, which makes it impossible to use when connecting to a Win8 PC, go figure...).

GAF I'm THIS close to buying the RT version of Surface. It would be used for INternet browsing and streaming videos off my NAS. Is the surface capable of streaming 720p movies? I heard there was a VLC app in the works that can apparently play anything does anyone know if this is done yet?

Yep, works perfectly for internet and video streaming. And I don't think the VLC app is out yet.

DagsJT

Yes the official metro remote client is a must-have (especially since the other one doesn't have features like shortcuts to charm or window key, which makes it impossible to use when connecting to a Win8 PC, go figure...).

Yep, works perfectly for internet and video streaming. And I don't think the VLC app is out yet.

Mobile.HD plays every MKV I've thrown at it, no real need for VLC.

Nero3000

P.S. Would the RT version be eligiblefor an upgrade when the new 'Blue' Upgrade is released?

Yes to 720p videos (and 1080p)

VLC isnt out yet, but mobile.hd media player is perfect for HD mkv files.

RT would be eligible for blue.

Ushae

Banned
Yes to 720p videos (and 1080p)

VLC isnt out yet, but mobile.hd media player is perfect for HD mkv files.

RT would be eligible for blue.

Awww Yisssss !

Thanks guys, I've been hearing whispers that there is a Surface hardware refresh in the works aiming at holiday 2013, is it worth the wait or should I just bite the bullet and get RT?

Nero3000

Awww Yisssss !

Thanks guys, I've been hearing whispers that there is a Surface hardware refresh in the works aiming at holiday 2013, is it worth the wait or should I just bite the bullet and get RT?

I'm can't say if its worth the wait, depends on your desire to have the latest and greatest.

The current hardware is plenty powerful enough for internet browsing and playing videos. The screen is great even if its only 720p.

The performance of Surface RT improved considerably with the monthly firmware updates (device specific in addition to regular OS updates) and app updates. With Windows RT Blue/8.1 I expect the performance to increase again (in addition to the functional improvements) and specific application performance (Mail etc) to improve as they release updates.

Views of the next generation of Surface products are currently a bit hazy. They could scrap the 10.6" version of the RT for just an 8" RT version which i think would worsen a video watching experience. If there was to be a second gen RT 10.6" version, I think the improvements over the first gen upgraded to blue will probably boil down to an increase in performance due to upgraded cpu/gpu and a higher resolution screen (1080p) - I would not say that those are worth 6 months of waiting, when the product now does what you need it to do and does them very well.

I'm can't say if its worth the wait, depends on your desire to have the latest and greatest.

The current hardware is plenty powerful enough for internet browsing and playing videos. The screen is great even if its only 720p.

The performance of Surface RT improved considerably with the monthly firmware updates (device specific in addition to regular OS updates) and app updates. With Windows RT Blue/8.1 I expect the performance to increase again (in addition to the functional improvements) and specific application performance (Mail etc) to improve as they release updates.

Views of the next generation of Surface products are currently a bit hazy. They could scrap the 10.6" version of the RT for just an 8" RT version which i think would worsen a video watching experience. If there was to be a second gen RT 10.6" version, I think the improvements over the first gen upgraded to blue will probably boil down to an increase in performance due to upgraded cpu/gpu and a higher resolution screen (1080p) - I would not say that those are worth 6 months of waiting, when the product now does what you need it to do and does them very well.

A new 10.6" RT device could have an active digitizer, but other than that yeah, hard to come up with new features so essential that would be worth the wait.

A new 10.6" RT device could have an active digitizer, but other than that yeah, hard to come up with new features so essential that would be worth the wait.

If they're serious about making money, then a small form factor is coming so that could be essentially worth the wait. I know I instantly started thinking about trading my big iPad for the iPad mini.

Also if they want to continue the 10.6 in, then the display and CPU has to be comparable to the latest and greatest. And for an OS like this the CPU is a big deal because its a port of much of the full OS to ARM. They also need the HW to be cutting edge and cheap enough to make the choice between Atom and ARM tougher which I'm sure gives MS some pause. I say some because Atom sales probably suck anyways so it's not a huge deal. In any case, the second revision should be great for those who wait because a mobile device for MS could be a home run whereas the Surface Pro at its best is probably comparable in success to a Macbook. They need a cheap mobile device out there to bring in that revenue so I expect a more aggressive push on specs.

zorbsie

Installed guild wars 2 on my surface pro. Glad I got the 128gb model, big install and no option to put it on the microSD card. Running on low settings but totally playable after plugging in a proper mouse.

Installed guild wars 2 on my surface pro. Glad I got the 128gb model, big install and no option to put it on the microSD card. Running on low settings but totally playable after plugging in a proper mouse.

The future is here folks, MMO gaming on the go is now possible on a thin and light device.

Apple must be quaking in their boots.

All joking aside, I'm quite surprised by the gaming capabilities of the Surface pro. If only the battery wouldn't crap out so fast when not plugged into the wall.

Izuna

Banned

Wait a second, doesn't the microSD just act as a removable device? So you could install anything to it...

zorbsie

Wait a second, doesn't the microSD just act as a removable device? So you could install anything to it...

That's been the case for all the games I've installed. But the GW2 installer wouldn't list the microSD drive as an option. The surface could see the card but the installer couldn't or didn't want to use a card for an install directory.

Lucis

That's been the case for all the games I've installed. But the GW2 installer wouldn't list the microSD drive as an option. The surface could see the card but the installer couldn't or didn't want to use a card for an install directory.

install, copy folder over, do a hard symlink

Esiquio

So I just ordered an RT from Amazon with the Type Keyboard. I'm leaving on a three-month international trip very soon so and I really wanted to spend the time writing so I bit the bullet and ordered one despite the rumors of a new one coming out. During this time I will have limited internet access from time to time. My question to GAF is...

What apps should I absolutely get before leaving? Stuff that doesn't REQUIRE an internet connection to be useful, specifically. Again, I ordered an RT, but I'm not to interested in games (got a 3DS) unless they're especially awesome, but I'd like to know what y'all think.

BTW...I have a subscription to Xbox Music and Windows 8 on my desktop at home. If I download music from my RT before I leave will it let me play that music offline?

Izuna

Banned
Now impossible to get Surface Pro. MS took too long and list a customer who had savings for it for months, bizarre.

Welp, I'm looking forward to their next revision then.

Spent Pro money on overpriced gifts. It's nice to eat what I want though.

Top Bottom