• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Anony

does anyone here have a typecover they dont want?
i'm looking to buy one, but i'm really against the 130$ for it
cant find any used ones in my area, so i thought i might as well ask here

So I just ordered an RT from Amazon with the Type Keyboard. I'm leaving on a three-month international trip very soon so and I really wanted to spend the time writing so I bit the bullet and ordered one despite the rumors of a new one coming out. During this time I will have limited internet access from time to time. My question to GAF is...

What apps should I absolutely get before leaving?I Stuff that doesn't REQUIRE an internet connection to be useful, specifically. Again, I ordered an RT, but I'm not to interested in games (got a 3DS) unless they're especially awesome, but I'd like to know what y'all think.

BTW...I have a subscription to Xbox Music and Windows 8 on my desktop at home. If I download music from my RT before I leave will it let me play that music offline?

I would download nook, advanced english dictionary, one of the radiant video games and this game called doom and destiny. I'd also let the default news app download current articles for offline use. I use that more than I thought I would. Put a bunch of shit on a flash drive and take that along. Use google + via the web or the aviary photo editor app to do light touch ups. Other than that I'd take a look at press play video I think its called to use over the default video app for playback. I don't use Xbox Music so I have no advice for that. Devices without internet are super boring to me. I remember when my PS3 didn't have internet for like 4 days and it drove me crazy. Then I took my iPad on a road trip, and that sucked after maybe 3 hrs of watching movies I put on there before I left. So good luck for 3 months I suppose going long stretches without internet. Oh and pin GAF to your start screen. That's a must have dude.

MCD

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/15/microsoft-surface-pro-coming-to-the-uk-may-23rd/

Microsoft has a good excuse for the Surface Pro's late arrival in the UK: the company claims that demand in the US stripped its cupboards bare, leaving nothing but RT crumbs to sell on this side of the Atlantic. In any case, Redmond tells us that a date has now been set, with the Core i5-powered tablet due to be available from Microsoft's online store from May 23rd. For once, Brits can look forward to dollar-equivalent pricing, with the 64GB version going for £719 and the 128GB model fetching £799 inclusive of VAT. (That may not be cheap, but at least it's fair.) Meanwhile, the bendy Touch Cover will continue to cost £99, and the more traditional key action of the Type Cover will add another tenner on top of that. So, there it is. Just in time for Haswell to make us wonder when a more power-efficient sequel might be coming out.

Zeknurn

Microsoft will launch an 8-inch Surface tablet in June and a 10.x-inch model as early as the third quarter of 2013, according to Taiwan-based supply chain makers.

The 8-inch Surface will use touch panels supplied by Samsung Electronics and Nvidia-developed processors, and Taiwan-based ODM Pegatron will be responsible for production, the sources said.

In consideration of clearing inventories of existing 10.6-inch Surface tablets, Microsoft will launch the 10.x-inch, possibly lower than 10.6-inch, Surface at the earliest in the third quarter, the sources indicated.

Microsoft expects initial monthly shipments of the two devices to reach one million units, implying that Microsoft is more optimistic about the sales performance of the two models than of existing models, the sources said.
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130515PD213.html

Microsoft is ready to announce its second-generation Surface RT tablet with an 8-inch display in June with an estimated price between US$249-299, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.

The new Surface RT is manufactured by Pegatron Technology, using Nvidia's Tegra processor. However, because of the first-generation Surface RT's weak sales, and fierce competition in the 7- to 8-inch tablet market, most market watchers are conservative about the second-generation Surface tablets' performance.
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130515PD215.html

It's likely that they will give away the Surface 8 at BUILD.

Ushae

Banned
Holy shit UK GAF, MS are giving away free touch OR type covers with any Surface RT sold between May 15th and June 30th .. this may be my chance to get it at a good price!

UK only apparently.

I haven't heard anything specific, but it would make more sense if they'd give out an 8" reference tablet with the public preview pre-installed at Build. 8" devices only make sense with Windows 8.1 (not that it stops Acer from shipping one earlier), which is why I doubt that MS would launch one, before the update is ready.

sammich

I want one of these. 2nd gen though. Id also want something like a 10 or 12" screen. Originally i thought 10" 1080p screen would be too small. But im getting used to a 5" 1080p screen on my phone. I doubt these things will ever come with a gpu capable of running POE at a decent rez.

Ushae

Banned
I'm really tempted to bite and grab on of these Surface RT with a free cover. Or would that be premature as 2nd generation sounds like its just around the corner?

dLMN8R

The fact that Digitimes thinks Pegatron has anything to do with Surface should instantly discredit any rumors coming from them :lol

Yikes...I almost impulse bought a Surface Pro since I've been wanting one. Glad I took a peak in here and saw the news about there being another one. There is always another one, but you don't here about it so soon after launch, so maybe it will be here sooner than we think.

eastmen

Banned
Yikes...I almost impulse bought a Surface Pro since I've been wanting one. Glad I took a peak in here and saw the news about there being another one. There is always another one, but you don't here about it so soon after launch, so maybe it will be here sooner than we think.

surface rt in the summer and surface pro 2 in the fall. haswell is not much of a jump either over ivy bridge at the ulv range.

I'm excited for the third gen and will prob upgrade if its broadwell

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
surface rt in the summer and surface pro 2 in the fall. haswell is not much of a jump either over ivy bridge at the ulv range.

I'm excited for the third gen and will prob upgrade if its broadwell

Well it's a nice jump in graphics and power consumption, which are all I'm really lookin for in an upgrade for a device like that. Come on Surface 2!

...also let me buy you with more than 4 gigs of ram!

Top Bottom