• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
surface rt in the summer and surface pro 2 in the fall. haswell is not much of a jump either over ivy bridge at the ulv range.

I'm excited for the third gen and will prob upgrade if its broadwell

Are you talking about in terms of battery life because that's the main draw.

Razdek

Banned
I friend of mine bought as Surface and asked me if it was any good. Unfortunately it was an RT unit and I told him to return it. There's no way I could recommend a RT device to anyone with the state it's in and to for him to get an iPad instead or wait for the fall for the new pro devices to come out.

dLMN8R

I friend of mine bought as Surface and asked me if it was any good. Unfortunately it was an RT unit and I told him to return it. There's no way I could recommend a RT device to anyone with the state it's in and to for him to get an iPad instead or wait for the fall for the new pro devices to come out.

How much have you used it? I know a few people who I'd classify as acquaintances, who don't live anywhere near me or other Microsoft campuses, who bought Surface RT's without any influence from me, and they really like them. Love having full-blown Office right on a tablet that gets 8-10 hours battery life and can browse the web, play videos, read news, etc. without a hitch.

I agree that current RT devices do have their issues, but it's not like it has no merit compared to an iPad.

Totakeke

I love my Surface RT fine. Although there's plenty of cheap RT devices out there now, I don't regret it one bit because it's still a unique device none other can replicate at the moment. If we're going into the apps argument anyway, there's no reason to even buy a Surface Pro if that's the case.

Razdek

Banned
How much have you used it? I know a few people who I'd classify as acquaintances, who don't live anywhere near me or other Microsoft campuses, who bought Surface RT's without any influence from me, and they really like them. Love having full-blown Office right on a tablet that gets 8-10 hours battery life and can browse the web, play videos, read news, etc. without a hitch.

I agree that current RT devices do have their issues, but it's not like it has no merit compared to an iPad.

I've only played with it at Best Buy but when he was asking how to put iTunes on it I knew it wasn't for him. I just couldn't recommend for him to keep it but who knows, he may keep it if he likes it enough.

Totakeke

I've only played with it at Best Buy but when he was asking how to put iTunes on it I knew it wasn't for him. I just couldn't recommend for him to keep it but who knows, he may keep it if he likes it enough.

That certainly depends what your friend needs iTunes for doesn't it?

Razdek

Banned
I love my Surface RT fine. Although there's plenty of cheap RT devices out there now, I don't regret it one bit because it's still a unique device none other can replicate at the moment. If we're going into the apps argument anyway, there's no reason to even buy a Surface Pro if that's the case.

I'd rather have him buy one of the Win Pro atom devices from Acer than keep the Surface RT even though I find the build a lot better. It's just the software and apps that I know he'll need later.

dLMN8R

Sure but again the question is what did he mean by "can I use iTunes on it?"

If he just wants to play his music, iTunes music is all DRM free for many years now and you can simply copy/paste it over. If he has a lot of previously DRM'd music or videos or somesuch, then that's a much bigger hurdle to overcome of course.

What state? The RT is great. The only problem I had with mine was the app situation. Other than that though as long as you come in understanding what the RT is and will be I don't understand how it can be considered a bad product. If he's expecting it to be a Surface Pro then yeah he needs to take it back.

hwalker84

Tegra 4 pretty much sucks, compared to the competition.
Just like Tegra 3, 2 and 250 before.

The only thing Tegra has going is the low price.

Well then whatever MS chooses for the next RT then. I'm pretty happy with the performance of my RT. The several firmware updates they've been doing on a monthly basis have drastically improved the device since I got it on day one.

p6w4hqD.jpg

MG310

So I've been thinking about picking one of these up to use for drawing...should I just hold out until the 2nd Gen one?

WatTsu

So...is the "new models in fall" thing a guarantee or speculation?

In the market for a Pro but don't want to pull the trigger too early.

Rommel

Can't believe I've never used Xbox music before.... I've been missing out! Love how the snap feature works with it so I can surf and listen

MCD

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/ja-jp/surface-with-windows-8-pro/home
http://www.liveside.net/2013/05/29/surface-pro-coming-to-japan-with-256gb-version/

Microsoft Japan announced that the Surface Pro will be available in Japan on June 7th. The versions of Surface Pro will be 128GB and 256GB, and there is no 64GB. Thanks to the Translator, we learn that the Japanese pricing info via @SurfaceJP:

•Surface Pro 256GB: 119,800 JPY / 1,170 USD
•Surface Pro 128GB: 99,800 JPY / 975 USD

Importantly, the Surface Pro Japan edition comes with Office 2013 Home & Business software built-in and the 2 versions run on Windows 8 Pro. Other specs are same as international Surface devices. Japanese customers can get some Touch Cover accessories exclusive to Japan.

SvIo2s9.jpg

Wow, free Office 2013, exclusive touch covers and no shitty 64gig version.

I think we got robbed guys.

WatTsu

Checked out the Surface Pro w/Type Pad today and I gotta say the Type Pad more than lives up to the hype. Officially sold, now just have to figure out when I want to pounce (it may not be worth it for me to wait).

Top Bottom