• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I know, but I also happen to live in a country where products launch 3-4 months later. The Surface Pro only started going on sale this month :/
oh, well get another haswell windows 8 device. I wouldn't get a new windows portable device that isn't a new intel chip.

maeh2k

I'm only interested in the Surface for it's Wacom pen, are there any other laptops that have it?

It probably mostly comes down to how important battery life is to you. If the Surface Pro's 4-5 hour battery life isn't an issue, then I wouldn't wait for Haswell.

I'm not sure if there are any Haswell tablets with Wacom support announced yet. I think the Samsung Ativ Q might use Wacom, but it's a weird 13.3" device with Windows+Android and 3200x1800. It's probably really expensive.
The new Sony Vaio Duo has a Stylus, but afair it's not Wacom (N-trig).

iFootball

"Microsoft set to bring 256GB Surface Pro to North America for $1,199.99"
TheVerge said:
A Surface Pro with more storage is coming to North America. WPCentral first spotted the retail listing at CDW.com — one of Microsoft's authorized vendors — confirming that a 256GB version of the tablet is set to go on sale imminently with availability expected in the next week. The larger capacity, twice that of Apple's roomiest iPad, first debuted in Japan earlier this month. US retail cost is set at $1,199.99. Aside from the larger flash drive, the Surface Pro's hardware remains entirely unchanged. That means an upgrade to Intel's latest Haswell processors (and the uptick in battery life that would presumably result) will have to wait for another day. We've reached out to Microsoft for more information on availability of the 256GB Surface Pro and will update this story upon hearing back

smerfy

Banned
okay people...downloading the 8.1 update for my surface RT.

if someone could give me some tips/advice, i'll be checking in here from my phone.

this is so exciting :) wish me luck.

When it comes to Atom, if MS could release a surface with Bay Trail inside....I'd probably bite at $500 with a type cover included :p

Will be interesting to see what they do with pricing. They clearly overpriced it the first go around.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Played with a Surface Pro for a bit. Absolutely made me a believer. Still bought an iPad, due to me being entrenched in the platform, but I will be picking a surface up for work.

My question is this: Does the Surface work like the iPad in that it has generations, and if so, when is the Surface 2 due out?

smerfy

Banned
okay got 8.1 running on my RT.

HUGE improvement in functionality.

Some apps that need updating however...Skype needs more compatible aspect ratios...

Overall I'm really impressed by this.

Gonna install 8.1 on my desktop when I get home then.

Any word on what is replacing the bing backgrounds app? I love the synched dynamic background, but I read somewhere that it's no longer available in the 8.1 build.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Played with a Surface Pro for a bit. Absolutely made me a believer. Still bought an iPad, due to me being entrenched in the platform, but I will be picking a surface up for work.

My question is this: Does the Surface work like the iPad in that it has generations, and if so, when is the Surface 2 due out?
some time this year most likely.

JaggedSac

Anyone else with a Surface RT that installed 8.1? It seems to be performing much better. Anyone else experience this, or is this just my imagination?

Anony

i dont know if it's here or from another forum, but i read that someone got their surface pen replaced for free because the pen tip was stuck on 'pressed'

i just lost my pen, probably fell out when i was moving it from my backpack (i honestly knew it was a matter of time before it happened, what a shit design)
i want to try and claim this and get another pen, but i dont know if you are required to send the old pen back or not

i dont know if it's here or from another forum, but i read that someone got their surface pen replaced for free because the pen tip was stuck on 'pressed'

i just lost my pen, probably fell out when i was moving it from my backpack (i honestly knew it was a matter of time before it happened, what a shit design)
i want to try and claim this and get another pen, but i dont know if you are required to send the old pen back or not
My adapter was fried when it got wet so returned the system aslo claimed (light bleed) and got a new one but forgot to give my old pen...

So... I purchased a bluetooth mouse to use with my surface pro because i didn't wanted to occupy the only usb port with a wireless dongle for mouse with proprietary wireless protocols.

The problem is that the mouse was super laggy, I searched online and saw plenty of users complaining, so I though it was just a bad purchase on my part... But i was just messing around with the 8.1 settings, and noticed that now there's a switch to turn the wifi off... Turning it off, instantly makes the mouse super responsive as a wired mouse, or one of those mouses with dedicated dongles. Just as turning it on turns the mouse into the sluggish fest...

I kept testing, and realized that if my mouse responsiveness is inversely proportional of my bandwidth usage, and if I use a usb bluetooth dongle to connect the mouse it does lag a bit sometimes, but overall it's a sound improvement even when connected to the wifi and heavy downloading.

I wonder now if this is a driver issue on my end...

Edit: The bluetooth radio driver is the default from win update. The driver was released about a month ago...

maeh2k

So... I purchased a bluetooth mouse to use with my surface pro because i didn't wanted to occupy the only usb port with a wireless dongle for mouse with proprietary wireless protocols.

The problem is that the mouse was super laggy, I searched online and saw plenty of users complaining, so I though it was just a bad purchase on my part... But i was just messing around with the 8.1 settings, and noticed that now there's a switch to turn the wifi off... Turning it off, instantly makes the mouse super responsive as a wired mouse, or one of those mouses with dedicated dongles. Just as turning it on turns the mouse into the sluggish fest...

I kept testing, and realized that if my mouse responsiveness is inversely proportional of my bandwidth usage, and if I use a usb bluetooth dongle to connect the mouse it does lag a bit sometimes, but overall it's a sound improvement even when connected to the wifi and heavy downloading.

I wonder now if this is a driver issue on my end...

Edit: The bluetooth radio driver is the default from win update. The driver was released about a month ago...

Don't know how common these types of issues are, but maybe it could just stem from interference of Wifi and Bluetooth with both using 2.4 GHz. I don't know if maybe switching the router to another Wifi channel might help.

Don't know how common these types of issues are, but maybe it could just stem from interference of Wifi and Bluetooth with both using 2.4 GHz. I don't know if maybe switching the router to another Wifi channel might help.
I've tried switching all the available channels on my router... Didn't work.

But I don't think it's a matter of interference, because:

- If there are other devices downloading, transferring files over the network, but my surface network usage is low, the mouse behaves perfectly, even if I stay right in between the router and the other device.
- If I disable the built in bluetooth adapter and use a usb dongle, the mouse also stays perfect, even with heavy network usage...

I've been searching a little and it seems that the Surface pro has 2 antennas, one for 2.4ghz and is shared between Wifi and Bluetooth, the other is for 5ghz, and dedicated for wifi... I've seen people reporting similar issues with adapters from other vendors, that apparently were fixed with driver updates... I guess I'll have to wait until one becomes available, or just assume it never will be fixed XD

I've tried switching all the available channels on my router... Didn't work.

But I don't think it's a matter of interference, because:

- If there are other devices downloading, transferring files over the network, but my surface network usage is low, the mouse behaves perfectly, even if I stay right in between the router and the other device.
- If I disable the built in bluetooth adapter and use a usb dongle, the mouse also stays perfect, even with heavy network usage...

I've been searching a little and it seems that the Surface pro has 2 antennas, one for 2.4ghz and is shared between Wifi and Bluetooth, the other is for 5ghz, and dedicated for wifi... I've seen people reporting similar issues with adapters from other vendors, that apparently were fixed with driver updates... I guess I'll have to wait until one becomes available, or just assume it never will be fixed XD

Is this only on blue, or does it also repro on Win8?

Is this only on blue, or does it also repro on Win8?

I was already experimenting the mouse lag even with Win8 vanilla, I didn't tried disabling wifi back them, and haven't noticed if wifi usage messed with the mouse, though. But I did see people have the same complaints with Win8 too.

I was already experimenting the mouse lag even with Win8 vanilla, I didn't tried disabling wifi back them, and haven't noticed if wifi usage messed with the mouse, though. But I did see people have the same complaints with Win8 too.

Just to keep tabs on the issue: It's definitely worse now, not sure if due windows 8.1, or if it's a driver issue (the current driver dates from about a month ago), if I use a bluetooth headset I lose almost entirely my network connectivity, it's very noticeable, if I turn my headset on instantly my bandwidth goes to almost zero, and back to normal when i turn it off...

iFootball

Just to keep tabs on the issue: It's definitely worse now, not sure if due windows 8.1, or if it's a driver issue (the current driver dates from about a month ago), if I use a bluetooth headset I lose almost entirely my network connectivity, it's very noticeable, if I turn my headset on instantly my bandwidth goes to almost zero, and back to normal when i turn it off...

I experienced something similar after updating to 8.1... I recently purchased a small Bluetooth Gamepad for my Surface ("Steelseries FREE Mobile Wireless Controller" pretty cool actually, check it out)... and after playing with it for some minutes, I noticed that I lost Wifi connectivity... only to come back later (or I would disable-enable); this happened several times.

... Eventually, I reverted back to Windows 8 and I have not seen the issue since.

Edit: About my return to Windows 8: while in 8.1 I tried to "remove" the gamepad from the Bluetooth devices list and the dialog would just hang there (the little circle kept on going and gong)... I decided to reboot and BOOM.. I could not get back into Windows, not even in Safe mode; any repair option in the recovery drive couldn't detect any issue, and my boot sequence would only reach the initial "Surface" screen. The only option that got me somewhere was to "reset" my installation... which basically meant reverting back to Windows 8 while keeping my personal files (yes, I lost all installed Apps and Programs)... fun stuff!

I experienced something similar after updating to 8.1... I recently purchased a small Bluetooth Gamepad for my Surface ("Steelseries FREE Mobile Wireless Controller" pretty cool actually, check it out)... and after playing with it for some minutes, I noticed that I lost Wifi connectivity... only to come back later (or I would disable-enable); this happened several times.

... Eventually, I reverted back to Windows 8 and I have not seen the issue since.

Edit: About my return to Windows 8: while in 8.1 I tried to "remove" the gamepad from the Bluetooth devices list and the dialog would just hang there (the little circle kept on going and gong)... I decided to reboot and BOOM.. I could not get back into Windows, not even in Safe mode; any repair option in the recovery drive couldn't detect any issue, and my boot sequence would only reach the initial "Surface" screen. The only option that got me somewhere was to "reset" my installation... which basically meant reverting back to Windows 8 while keeping my personal files (yes, I lost all installed Apps and Programs)... fun stuff!

whoa, that's bad.

So, I selected "update and restart" on my Surface RT, and it's been stuck at "Preparing to configure Windows..." for over an hour now. What are my options at this point? How long should I let those bullshit dots spin around?

kehs

Banned
I have a Surface infront of me that doesn't get past the Surface screen when turning on.

Can anyone help in regards of booting into safe mode, or recovery or something?

iFootball

I have a Surface infront of me that doesn't get past the Surface screen when turning on.

Can anyone help in regards of booting into safe mode, or recovery or something?

- Force if Off (hold power button)
- Press and hold Volume-down button
- Press and release Power Button once
- When Surface logo appears, release Volume-down button

The Recovery Screen should come up eventually, with many options to try Safe-mode, repair & recovery tools.

kehs

Banned
- Force if Off (hold power button)
- Press and hold Volume-down button
- Press and release Power Button once
- When Surface logo appears, release Volume-down button

The Recovery Screen should come up eventually, with many options to try Safe-mode, repair & recovery tools.

No dice. =/

The windows button appears to be reacting though.

As an aside, this thing feels really nice. I'm impressed.

e: Looks like that's the recovery process, but I need a recovery USB drive, which I can only make with a functional RT. -_-

http://www.windows8core.com/how-to-boot-your-microsoft-surface-with-windows-rt-into-recovery-mode/

iFootball

Torraz

Got a problem with the Surface Pro that was bought for my mother.

She added another account. To quickly fix it we did a system restore to last night (last windows updates). Something went wrong, and now the tablet is stuck in a permanent "automatic repair" cycle.

Is there any way to fix this ourselves, or do we have to ship it to microsoft?

Managed to use the above trick to boot into a working repair mode. Luckily had the Pro.

Anony

anyone with a surface pro tried to use the bing translator app?
i'm trying to use the camera function in the bing translator app and it doesnt work for me.

anyone with a surface pro tried to use the bing translator app?
i'm trying to use the camera function in the bing translator app and it doesnt work for me.

Yeah, the camera is too bad for the app to work properly. I only got it to half work by using prints with huge fonts.

it works for you? when i launch the camera mode, it says the camera is unavailable and closes

Yeah, it works, but the camera quality is really bad, so it won't recognize most of the text :(

Bring up the settings charm and go to permissions, you might have blocked webcam access to the app.

clav

Looks like the price drop is permanent.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...&ClickID=dowkrrcb2xhrm0nhznzr0bwkzkm2sxyc0hhx

eqs5Zmd.png

h0ypsEO.png

Epcott

Bought a 64GB Pro microSDXC for my Surface Pro this weekend, and Poser 9 to use on it.

Was looking forward to trying the program out,but it doesn't work.Sixty-five dollars down the drain, it's driving me crazy. Even tried comparability tests, downloading the SR3.1 update, still nothing. Makes me want to kick a puppy.

What apps can I use on this device? Is it only the stock apps that come with it and apps that I download from the Windows Store? (like iPhone vs iPad apps.)

For the RT version: yes

For the Pro version: yes and all the existing windows desktop applications.

K, thanks.

Thats a problem for me cause I would just get the RT, but the lack of apps in the store is going to bother me.

Is their catalog online anywhere, like Google's is ?

Top Bottom