• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Razdek

Banned
Even with the issues with Surface and Surface RT I'm still excited to see what the version 2 product s will be like. Hopefully the pro version will be lighter and quieter with the new chip sets and the RT better performance. what are the chances of them dropping the price for the touch and type covers for the new versions?

hwalker84

Even with the issues with Surface and Surface RT I'm still excited to see what the version 2 product s will be like. Hopefully the pro version will be lighter and quieter with the new chip sets and the RT better performance. what are the chances of them dropping the price for the touch and type covers for the new versions?

I get the feeling the Touch covers will still be the same.

Looking at some of the Surface RT prices on ebay, it's really hard not to get one. I have absolutely 0 interest in Windows RT or the Surface RT formfactor and the app store sucks, but I at 270 for a new device, incl shipping, it's hard to pass on it.

frontieruk

Looking at some of the Surface RT prices on ebay, it's really hard not to get one. I have absolutely 0 interest in Windows RT or the Surface RT formfactor and the app store sucks, but I at 270 for a new device, incl shipping, it's hard to pass on it.

oh you know you want to cry some salty tears for spending the money on a RT instead of an Nexus 7 ;)

dLMN8R

I don't know when any new devices are coming out, but still know it's incredibly stupid for a tech enthusiast to go and buy a Surface RT right now. You'll inevitably be incredibly disappointed in a couple of months tops, even if it's just $250.

Epcott

Finally got Poser 9 to run on my Surface Pro this week.

http://i.imgur.com/3XqPoL7.jpg (not sure if its NSFW)

Turns out the May update to the graphics card driver completely borks the openGL, making many 3D programs instantly crash when opened.

Had to go here for the "working driver" and stop the Surface from autoupdating the old broken one from May.

Zeknurn

Just read that Surface RT2 gonna use Tegra 4.

Wasn't a big fan of Tegra 3...oh well.

So:
Surface RT 10" with Tegra 4
Surface Pro 10" with Haswell
Surface 8" with Qualcom

A probable refresh of the Touch and Type Covers.
A thicker cover with a tactile keyboard and a battery built in.

Shouldn't they have been announced by now if they are planning to release them fall? It isn't like Microsoft to hold off announcing something until it's less than 6 months away.

RoKKeR

So I spent a bunch of time randomly looking up stuff about the Surface Pro yesterday and think it's an incredible cool and appealing piece of tech, especially as I go into university this year. I'm not keen on buying one right now, but should we expect the Pro 2 to have improved battery life and storage?

Sorry for the noob post.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So I spent a bunch of time randomly looking up stuff about the Surface Pro yesterday and think it's an incredible cool and appealing piece of tech, especially as I go into university this year. I'm not keen on buying one right now, but should we expect the Pro 2 to have improved battery life and storage?

Sorry for the noob post.
yes

Razdek

Banned
So:
Surface RT 10" with Tegra 4
Surface Pro 10" with Haswell
Surface 8" with Qualcom

A probable refresh of the Touch and Type Covers.
A thicker cover with a tactile keyboard and a battery built in.

Shouldn't they have been announced by now if they are planning to release them fall? It isn't like Microsoft to hold off announcing something until it's less than 6 months away.

Probably trying to clear out that $900 million inventory back stock they have sitting in their warehouses. Surface RT 2 is going to have a huge hill to climb to be relevant.

Razdek

Banned
Yeah good point.
Manufacturing should be starting very soon so hopefully we will see some leaks.

Haha.

the thing is even if Surface RT runs a lot better with the new chipset its biggest hurdle is the marketplace. The marketplace is so bad when people it will turn new users away. It baffles me how Microsoft can't get any if the major apps in there.

It's sort of funny to think that there isn't even a Facebook RT app on the market place. Not even by Microsoft (MS does the Facebook app for Wndows Phone).

Did you guys know that the HP TouchPad had a fully functional Facebook app?

The TouchPad is only the second tablet with a dedicated Facebook app. And HP's app implementation is impressive, with several unique features, including this Flipboard-like full screen view of your news feed. A two-pane interface lets you flip easily between your news feed, messages, events, places, friends and photos, and the places where your friends checked in show up on a map.

What the fuuuuuuuuuck.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
It's sort of funny to think that there isn't even a Facebook RT app on the market place. Not even by Microsoft (MS does the Facebook app for Wndows Phone).

Did you guys know that the HP TouchPad had a fully functional Facebook app?

What the fuuuuuuuuuck.
a Facebook app was announced to be coming.

Izuna

Banned
LTTP!

1098325_10151665166927819_4953412_n.jpg

256GB Surface Pro with both Type Cover and Cyan Touch Cover!

This, a Grey Lumia 920, Razer Orochi (wireless gaming mouse) will be my perfect companions for next semester.

Should I put 8.1 Preview on it right away?

Tangeroo

LTTP!

1098325_10151665166927819_4953412_n.jpg

256GB Surface Pro with both Type Cover and Cyan Touch Cover!

This, a Grey Lumia 920, Razer Orochi (wireless gaming mouse) will be my perfect companions for next semester.

Should I put 8.1 Preview on it right away?

Congrats! I assume you live in Japan?

I'd probably hold off on the 8.1 preview myself and just wait for the official release. If you do update, make sure you make a USB flash drive backup.

Izuna

Banned
Congrats! I assume you live in Japan?

I'd probably hold off on the 8.1 preview myself and just wait for the official release. If you do update, make sure you make a USB flash drive backup.

Thanks!
Nope, I live in the UK, my girlfriend is Japanese so importing was a breeze.

Yeah I did a bit more reading about there being strange issues that require even stranger fixes (Bluetooth/power issue) so I think I should hold out too now.

Once I get all of my data from my laptop to the Surface, then all of the fun will begin. It will take all night though!

Probably trying to clear out that $900 million inventory back stock they have sitting in their warehouses. Surface RT 2 is going to have a huge hill to climb to be relevant.

At this point, I think having the guts to stop with ARM based devices (at least for the time being) is a big test for MSFT leadership. All their OEMs have backed out from what I can tell and it isn't neccesary to sell the W8 story. They can return to ARM once they have a sizable enough library of Modern apps to make the devices attractive.

Why anyone would want to buy an RT device the new Intel mobile chips coming out in a month is totally beyond me.

Is there a chance that the Surface 2 Pro can be the same weight and slimness as the RT with the new Has well chips?

Probably not, if nothing else because the Intel chip set has to have a fan and the ARM chip sets don't.

I kind of expect a slight tick down in thickness and weight though.

Probably not, if nothing else because the Intel chip set has to have a fan and the ARM chip sets don't.

I kind of expect a slight tick down in thickness and weight though.
There's a fanless version of the Haswell CPU. HP announced plans to use it in tablets. There's no reason why MS couldn't use it for the next Pro.

dLMN8R

I'm not convinced that a fanless Haswell tablet is actually ideal. Sure Intel's said they intent to create one, but even ARM chips in tablets and phones have a tendency to heat up significantly. At the very least I'd hope a hypothetical next-gen Surface Pro has the same type of venting as the current one, even if there's no fan in it to push around the air.

I'm not convinced that a fanless Haswell tablet is actually ideal. Sure Intel's said they intent to create one, but even ARM chips in tablets and phones have a tendency to heat up significantly. At the very least I'd hope a hypothetical next-gen Surface Pro has the same type of venting as the current one, even if there's no fan in it to push around the air.

ohyou.jpg

dream

Any Surface RT owners considering joining this class action lawsuit?

The complaint alleges that, during the Class Period, defendants issued materially false and misleading statements regarding the Company's financial performance and its tablet computer, the Surface RT. Specifically, defendants misrepresented and failed to make public the following adverse facts: (i) that the Company's Surface RT product was experiencing poor customer demand and lackluster sales; (ii) that the Company's Surface RT inventory experienced a material decline in value during the quarter ended March 31, 2013; (iii) that the Company's financial statements for the quarter ended March 31, 2013 were materially false and misleading and violated Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Microsoft's publicly disclosed policy of accounting for inventories; (iv) that the Company's Form 10-Q for its third quarter of 2013 failed to disclose then presently known trends, events or uncertainties associated with the Surface RT product that were reasonably likely to have a material effect on Microsoft's future operating results; and (v) that based on the foregoing, defendants lacked a reasonable basis for their positive statements about the Company's Surface RT product during the Class Period.

On July 18, 2013, Microsoft issued a press release announcing its financial results for the fiscal 2013 fourth quarter and year end, the periods ended June 30, 2013. For the quarter, the Company reported revenue of $19.9 billion and net income of $4.97 billion, or $0.59 per share. The Company's results for the quarter were adversely impacted by a $900 million inventory charge, or an amount equal to $.07 per share, related to Surface RT "inventory adjustments." On this news, Microsoft common stock suffered its biggest price decline in more than four years, plunging $4.04 per share, or 11.4%, on very heavy trading volume to close at $31.40 per share.

Alx

A class action because MS didn't disclose the slow sales of the RT ? As a Surface owner, I don't see how that would hurt me. Maybe if I were an investor...

Totakeke

Class action lawsuit sounds good, I only bought Surface RT because I thought I would get street cred for being the first of adopting a industry shifting device.

hwalker84

If this drops soon I may go with this instead of the Surface 2 though I need 64GB

http://microsoft-news.com/nokia-win...-snapdragon-800-and-detachable-keyboardstand/

We have seen lots of reports on Nokia Windows tablet in the past few months. We got some info on it from one our tipster.

Nokia is working on a Windows RT 8.1 tablet.
It will be powered by Snapdragon 800 processor at 2.15 hz
It will sport a 10.1″ 1080p screen, 5 point multi-touch with wide viewing angles.
In-built storage of 32 GB
Detachable keyboard/stand which should be connected to the tablet to make it work just like Touch/Type covers for Surface.
There is a battery in the keyboard for extra power.
USB ports in the back
Wireless N Cell compatible
Micro HDMI & USB 3.0 port support
Will also come in Cyan matte color
Device manufactured by Compal
The device is rumored to be revealed by Nokia in September and will also be launched in US with AT&T support.

Zeknurn

While I would prefer x86 for legacy games they got my attention at "cyan matte". If the price is competitive enough I'm very interested.

Even though I prefer RT Surface over the Pro. I'm surprised they're still going to release an RT model after everyone bailed.

The device has been in development for long over a year. It would be throwing money away to not release it. However, I would expect a very limited manufacturing run and an x86 version when it doesn't sell good enough.

hwalker84

While I would prefer x86 for legacy games they got my attention at "cyan matte". If the price is competitive enough I'm very interested.

The device has been in development for long over a year. It would be throwing money away to not release it. However, I would expect a very limited manufacturing run and an x86 version when it doesn't sell good enough.

Yeah Matte Cyan would be sick. Give me 10+ hours of battery and i'm in.

MCD

I really want to see the next revision already.

Got tired of looking at the Pro and telling myself to wait wait and wait again.

Top Bottom