• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Much worse than the Latitude 10, for comparison. It's worse than any modern device I have used in the past 5 years. The iPad 2 with iOS 7 feels faster (no exaggeration).

Ouch. Thats exactly what I"m using now and its brutal.

Is the concensus still to wait for the new Nexus announcement?

hwalker84

I love my RT as I continue to state in previous posts. The $350 price is tempting but with a 2013 revision on the horizon I'd just wait it out.

JaggedSac

I love my RT as I continue to state in previous posts. The $350 price is tempting but with a 2013 revision on the horizon I'd just wait it out.

Same here. Only thing that performs noticeably bad for me is the Music app. I never use the desktop though, so no idea how the Office apps are.

hwalker84

Same here. Only thing that performs noticeably bad for me is the Music app. I never use the desktop though, so no idea how the Office apps are.

Office Apps are great and work. Outlook in 8.1 takes forever to load my Outlook Anywhere work account but then it's smooth after that.

MCD

gatOaAt.jpg

http://www.wpcentral.com/juiced-surface-adapter-review

Not bad.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?

It's hard to describe the performance. It is generally very responsive to touch, but apps take a long time to load. Sometimes taps do not register as well.

ElNino

I guess it's okay if all you are looking for is extra USB 2.0 ports (and an SD card slot). I'm using this Plugable 3.0 USB hub with my Surface Pro and it is great. It gives me 2 USB 3.0 ports, 4 USB 2.0 ports, ethernet, audio out for speakers and a secondary monitor connection. Obviously this is more expensive, but the additional functionality makes my Surface is very capable PC.

I guess it's okay if all you are looking for is extra USB 2.0 ports (and an SD card slot). I'm using this Plugable 3.0 USB hub with my Surface Pro and it is great. It gives me 2 USB 3.0 ports, 4 USB 2.0 ports, ethernet, audio out for speakers and a secondary monitor connection. Obviously this is more expensive, but the additional functionality makes my Surface is very capable PC.

Added to my buying list. Thank you!

Totakeke

RT is good, a better tablet OS than iOS or Android. It lacks apps, yes, so if you're looking for games, don't buy RT. As an internet browser and an all around utility, it's more than decent.

Most of the people that think RT is terrible are those who compare against both tablet and full-fledged OS at the same time then think it must be the worst thing ever since it can't beat either of those.

JaggedSac

RT is good, a better tablet OS than iOS or Android. It lacks apps, yes, so if you're looking for games, don't buy RT. As an internet browser and an all around utility, it's more than decent.

Most of the people that think RT is terrible are those who compare against both tablet and full-fledged OS at the same time then think it must be the worst thing ever since it can't beat either of those.

Yeah, it works great for my needs.

Totakeke

WTF. This morning my Logitech Keyboard had input issues where using certain buttons would just key in multiple letters at once, and now my Surface RT windows button at front and the keyboard cover doesn't work.

When you press on the windows button it just makes a clicking sound through the speakers and doesn't do anything. Plugging in the keyboard cover does the same thing when you type on the keyboard too. Just click sounds and does nothing. Oddly the touchpad still works. No idea what happened since everything was working fine the day before. I'm still running 8.0 too.

... good thing I still have a laptop around. Sigh.

MarkusRJR

Is it worth it to pick up an RT for $350? I'm looking for a nice 10" tablet that'll let let browse the web, watch Youtube/Giant Bomb, do basic documents, go on twitter, listen to music, go on Skype and play the occasional game. I was looking at either the RT, iPad, Nexus 10 or Xperia Z but the Surface RT is incredibly cheap compared to the rest which are 500-600 dollars. I own a WP8 so I think it might be better to get the a Windows 8 tablet since it'll be better integrated with my services (Skydrive, XBL, etc).

I hear the RT is super slow, but is that during operation or just when app switching (which is the only noticeable slowness I see on YouTube videos of the Surface RT)?

maeh2k

Is it worth it to pick up an RT for $350? I'm looking for a nice 10" tablet that'll let let browse the web, watch Youtube/Giant Bomb, do basic documents, go on twitter, listen to music, go on Skype and play the occasional game. I was looking at either the RT, iPad, Nexus 10 or Xperia Z but the Surface RT is incredibly cheap compared to the rest which are 500-600 dollars. I own a WP8 so I think it might be better to get the a Windows 8 tablet since it'll be better integrated with my services (Skydrive, XBL, etc).

I hear the RT is super slow, but is that during operation or just when app switching (which is the only noticeable slowness I see on YouTube videos of the Surface RT)?

I can't speak to the speed, but it falls way short of the specs we are seeing for new Android tablets like the Nexus 7, and the Nexus 10 refresh is already rumored and surely won't cost much more.

Despite the lacking specs it may still be a great choice. IE10 with flash is pretty great for browsing the web and watching videos. Office is excellent for documents, and it can certainly handle twitter, music, and Skype. Due to Windows' multitasking with being able to e.g. snap twitter or Skype to one side, it's pretty well suited for those tasks.

dLMN8R

I tend not to recommend the Surface RT since it is indeed slower than the competition, and completely lacks the games of other tablets like the iPad. But given what you're looking to use it for, it seems like a great fit for you. Document creation on the Surface RT is obviously leagues beyond any other tablet since it has a fully-capable version of Word/Excel/PowerPoint/OneNote on it.

Just remember that if you want a competent keyboard (the type cover instead of the touch cover), that'll set you back an extra $130.

Also - 8.1 has some nice speed improvements. I've been using it quite a bit on my RT and it's fairly noticeable.

I've ordered a Surface RT through the Surface for education program for about 210 euros. I'm planning on using it for browsing and using it as a PDF reader and notebook for clasess. I'm not to keen on mobile gaming, only occasionally, so that's not a priority for me.

What say you GAF, good buy? Would you recommend a touch cover? Surface RT + Touch cover is 260 euros and RT + Type cover = 299 euros.

maeh2k

I've ordered a Surface RT through the Surface for education program for about 210 euros. I'm planning on using it for browsing and using it as a PDF reader and notebook for clasess. I'm not to keen on mobile gaming, only occasionally, so that's not a priority for me.

What say you GAF, good buy? Would you recommend a touch cover? Surface RT + Touch cover is 260 euros and RT + Type cover = 299 euros.

For that price I'd buy one myself. A lot of people prefer the type cover. Especially when you want to do a lot of writing (like taking notes during the classes). I don't think you can really go wrong with either.

Alx

Yes, I would really recommend the type cover if you intend to write more than a few url addresses in the browser (for which the touch interface is good enough). Having real keys is great, it's as effective as a real keyboard. Although the price difference seems weird, I thought the type was only about 20 euros more expensive than the touch...

As a side note, I've been keeping my cover attached to the tablet since the beginning, but I just noticed recently that the tablet on its own feels great in the hands.

Just bought a Surface Pro!

:D

Excited. Hoping this will replace my 2 year old Macbook Air and my iPad mini all together.

I may still keep the Mini around though.

Played around with it a bit.

So far the thing is nice but there are quite a few things I can't stand.

1) No dedicated Facebook App. Terrible. I did pin the site to my Start Menu though

2) Chrome keeps defaulting back to 100% after every open. I did download the zoom extension for it. Not sure what is up with it defaulting but its annoying. Anyone know a good way to fix this?

3) The Type Keyboard is great... but the track pad is terrible. The 2 finger horizontal scrolling doesn't work 90% of the time. It is pissing me off and is the worst thing so far. Going from a glass trackpad on a Macbook Air to this is killing me.

4) Windows 8. It is terrible. I have never used it before until now and I absolutely hate it.

Other than that.. it is good. Not quite sure if it will replace my Macbook Air but so far it is doing a decent job at it.

venne

Played around with it a bit.

So far the thing is nice but there are quite a few things I can't stand.

1) No dedicated Facebook App. Terrible. I did pin the site to my Start Menu though

2) Chrome keeps defaulting back to 100% after every open. I did download the zoom extension for it. Not sure what is up with it defaulting but its annoying. Anyone know a good way to fix this?

3) The Type Keyboard is great... but the track pad is terrible. The 2 finger horizontal scrolling doesn't work 90% of the time. It is pissing me off and is the worst thing so far. Going from a glass trackpad on a Macbook Air to this is killing me.

4) Windows 8. It is terrible. I have never used it before until now and I absolutely hate it.

Other than that.. it is good. Not quite sure if it will replace my Macbook Air but so far it is doing a decent job at it.

Update to 8.1 if you haven't already.

It fixes a lot of shortcomings.

maeh2k

Facebook app is supposedly coming.

Not sure how you use the browsers, but I'd keep IE the default browser, since it works best in Metro, and you can still use another desktop browser as your main browser. Pinning stuff in IE is really great. Pinned sites on the start screen open in full-screen IE, which is really nice, and sites pinned to the task bar on the desktop offer jump lists and e.g. outlook.com shows the number of unread mails directly in the pinned icon.

At home you might want to use a regular mouse or an external touch pad.

Give Windows 8 some time.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Microsoft has confirmed to The Verge that between August 4th and August 29th customers in Canada, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and the US will pay $100 less for Surface Pro. "We’ve been seeing great worldwide success with Surface RT pricing and keyboard-cover promotions over the past several months and are proud to offer Surface Pro at more affordable prices starting today."
http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/8/4/4587228/microsoft-surface-pro-price-cut

Razdek

Banned
It's still baffling bad how Microsoft over estimated the demand for Surface RT. How did they think that a tablet with a new marketplace ,poor performance, limited distribution and selling at the same price as the iPad would work? It's like they didn't even do any market research and just built these things under the presumption that because it came with Office it would sell. I wonder how many new RT Surfaces are going to be manufactures this fall and if they'll keep the base $350 and $100 type/touch cover prices.

Izuna

Banned
LTTP I suppose!

Remember I posted a long time ago about getting the 128GB (UK) long before it came out, and all the stuffs I was going to install on it?

Well it's been a long time coming, but my GF had to travel to Japan for a week or so -- so by Saturday I should have my very own 256GB copy with a JP Type Keyboard to boot.

I still have my Cyan touch cover from when I "rented" the RT, but the colour isn't so important now that my Lumia 920 is grey.

Facebook app is supposedly coming.

Not sure how you use the browsers, but I'd keep IE the default browser, since it works best in Metro, and you can still use another desktop browser as your main browser. Pinning stuff in IE is really great. Pinned sites on the start screen open in full-screen IE, which is really nice, and sites pinned to the task bar on the desktop offer jump lists and e.g. outlook.com shows the number of unread mails directly in the pinned icon.

At home you might want to use a regular mouse or an external touch pad.

Give Windows 8 some time.
I have no idea what Metro is and I kept IE but made Chrome my default. Should I make IE my default so pinned sites open easily and then manually use Chrome ??

maeh2k

I have no idea what Metro is and I kept IE but made Chrome my default. Should I make IE my default so pinned sites open easily and then manually use Chrome ??

The way the browsers in Windows 8 work is that there are two modes (if the browser supports it). There's an IE mode for desktop, which works just like in Windows 7 and there's a full-screen mode that does not work in the desktop. Chrome and Firefox are also working on those types of non-desktop modes. When IE is the default browser and you click on IE from the start screen, it opens the full-screen mode and when you go to the desktop and open IE via a shortcut, it opens an IE window. Those two modes only work for the default browser. So far I think it's only really implemented in IE.
So I personally prefer IE as the default browser and I open my main browser manually. Since the main browser is usually running all the time, anyway, it doesn't make much of a difference. But IE is really great for pinning sites to the start screen or the task bar.

Thanks for the explanation. Switched back to IE and will use Chrome for Chromecast or something via the desktop.

Something god awful is the way it handles account management. I used a different email for my Windows 8 login then my Xbox account. Unfortunately I now have to create a third account to switch the Windows 8 accounts Xbox Live account to then move my real Xbox account to Windows. So annoying

What the hell Microsoft. What the hell.

Was anyone able to get their Surface Pro on an external monitor?

Bought a HDMI Hub and it just won't work. I tried then connecting the monitor HDMI directly into the DisplayPort to HDMI converter from Microsoft and it still doesnt work. No detection of the monitor on my Surface. Frustrating as fuck :(

Bought a HDMI Hub and it just won't work. I tried then connecting the monitor HDMI directly into the DisplayPort to HDMI converter from Microsoft and it still doesnt work. No detection of the monitor on my Surface. Frustrating as fuck :(

I'm using it on 2 external screens. A 24" monitor at home, using the displayport > hdmi adapter and a hdmi > dvi cable. Other is an old TV at work, using the displayport > vga adapter and a vga cable to the TV. Everything worked flawlessly.

I bought a 3rd party adapter... Works really great.

JaggedSac

It's still baffling bad how Microsoft over estimated the demand for Surface RT. How did they think that a tablet with a new marketplace ,poor performance, limited distribution and selling at the same price as the iPad would work? It's like they didn't even do any market research and just built these things under the presumption that because it came with Office it would sell. I wonder how many new RT Surfaces are going to be manufactures this fall and if they'll keep the base $350 and $100 type/touch cover prices.

Yeah, real damn stupid. You would figure they would err on the side of caution with these things.

Top Bottom