• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Razdek

Banned
Even though I prefer RT Surface over the Pro. I'm surprised they're still going to release an RT model after everyone bailed.

Nokia isn't known to make good business sense anyways so why not do a RT device. Can't wait to see the write off loss for this RT device in their next earnings report.

MCD

Nokia isn't known to make good business sense anyways so why not do a RT device. Can't wait to see the write off loss for this RT device in their next earnings report.

Maybe MS is funding it.

Actually, I'm looking forward for Nokia entering the RT space because they might push for more apps.

Razdek

Banned
Maybe MS is funding it.

Actually, I'm looking forward for Nokia entering the RT space because they might push for more apps.

True, if it's Microsoft funded then it won't be bad but it's all on Nokia then they're risking lot. The Windows Marketplace needs way more work than the Windows Phone one and I don't think they can be that influentialime they have on the phone side.

I haven't been through the thread in a while, was there an official fix for the pressure sensitivity on the Surface Pro? Last I heard was that Wacom released a driver that worked, but no word from Microsoft.

it was pretty well known that it flopped considering they would never release numbers for this thing. It's easy in hindsight to see why it failed but the warnings were all there and they ignored most of them.

So, where are the numbers for the surface pro? I've been saying similar things since 2003 about x86 tablets yet more keep getting released.

MarkusRJR

Just got my RT Surface in the mail today. Absolutely loving it so far. I've been 1 1/2 years without a computer so it's a godsend for me. What are the best apps/games available? I have Where's Your Water?, Halo Spartan Assault, Jetpack Joyride, Ilomilo, Wordament, and Fruit Ninja. Any more "in depth" games available?

stktt

Banned
Just got my RT Surface in the mail today. Absolutely loving it so far. I've been 1 1/2 years without a computer so it's a godsend for me. What are the best apps/games available? I have Where's Your Water?, Halo Spartan Assault, Jetpack Joyride, Ilomilo, Wordament, and Fruit Ninja. Any more "in depth" games available?

Rayman Jungle Run, Skulls of the Shogun, and Hydro Thunder Hurricane.

MarkusRJR

Went to check again and Rayman definitely isn't on the store. I found it listed in the Xbox Games app but when trying to buy it from there, it sends me to the main menu of the store. Maybe they took it down? I'm from Canada if that matters at all.

Baleoce

This is probably asked on a regular basis, so apologies in advance. But do we have any info/informed guesses as to when the second iteration of the Surface Pros will be announced? I never even knew til yesterday that these had wacom tech inside them, so now they're on my radar xD

its pretty mum out there about Surface 2. the only rumor that a 2nd edition is coming is the price drop 1st gen.

And Steve Ballmer mentioning that the 2nd generation is already in testing.
And the Nvidia CEO mentioning the 2nd generation using the Tegra 4.

The next Surface is coming.

Razdek

Banned
And Steve Ballmer mentioning that the 2nd generation is already in testing.
And the Nvidia CEO mentioning the 2nd generation using the Tegra 4.

The next Surface is coming.

They're probably shooting another dance number for the commercial since that helped the first one so much.

dLMN8R

I seriously do know nothing about upcoming devices (all we have on my team are prototypes that in no way resemble final hardware). But it's pretty reasonable to guess that any new hardware worth a damn won't be launching until Windows 8.1 - so mid/late October at the earliest.

Any hardware that comes out before then will have to come with Windows 8 on it, which just as an initial impression tells me it wasn't the manufacturer's biggest focus.

MCD

Microsoft Stores lowering Surface Touch Covers to $79 starting August 30th

ctBRoxO.jpg

monome

I'm contemplating getting a Surface RT in lieu of my Nexus 7.

I mostly use it for comixology and woul like to add some screen estate to the experience.

As far as Pro is concerned, I'll wait for my 5 years old iMac to pass away before contemplating getting a Pro revision.

So for now, a 340$ RT seems like a rather good deal.

Yay, nay?

hwalker84

I'm contemplating getting a Surface RT in lieu of my Nexus 7.

I mostly use it for comixology and woul like to add some screen estate to the experience.

As far as Pro is concerned, I'll wait for my 5 years old iMac to pass away before contemplating getting a Pro revision.

So for now, a 340$ RT seems like a rather good deal.

Yay, nay?

At this point i'd say nay! If you have the $340 in your pocket wait till the next gen in a few months and put another $150 aside.

monome

At this point i'd say nay! If you have the $340 in your pocket wait till the next gen in a few months and put another $150 aside.

tha's the thing.

150$ for what?
1080p and longer battery life?

I don't think comixology will bother with bringing their HD comics to Windows.
and I use it 99% for comics, so battery life...

thanks for the input.
I'm all the better if I manage to wait until RTv2 news surface.

hwalker84

tha's the thing.

150$ for what?

thanks for the input.

Overall performance. Whether it uses the Snapdragon 800 or Tegra 4 it's going to be a night and day difference. My RT is starting to feel like a dog with the 8.1 preview. I'm ready for the next one.

tha's the thing.

150$ for what?

thanks for the input.

and I believe comixology app still in landscape only mode.
I wish there's Marvel Unlimited for Windows, but I'm considering getting an ipad-mini for comic book reading

tha's the thing.

150$ for what?

thanks for the input.

Add massively better performance.

I'm planning on selling my Cintiq 12WX and picking up a Surface Pro for my on-the-go drawing needs, since it's an all-in-one solution and I don't need a seperate computer to hook up to. The question remains: is it worth picking up one now for the minor discounts or better to wait to see what happens by October? A part of me fears they will move away from the wacom pen tech in a bid to reduce costs in the next model and that's the only reason I want one.

Decisions, decisions.

I'm planning on selling my Cintiq 12WX and picking up a Surface Pro for my on-the-go drawing needs, since it's an all-in-one solution and I don't need a seperate computer to hook up to. The question remains: is it worth picking up one now for the minor discounts or better to wait to see what happens by October? A part of me fears they will move away from the wacom pen tech in a bid to reduce costs in the next model and that's the only reason I want one.

Decisions, decisions.

Wait for the announcement of the next model. If it doesn't suit you, get a discounted first-gen model.

What are your wish lists for surface 2?

After a few months with mine I have so minor complaints, but here is what I'm hopping that a next version will fix:

- (At least) 7-9 hours of battery life
- 2 usb ports
- Connected Standby to make use of Windows background features.

Zeknurn

What are your wish lists for surface 2?

After a few months with mine I have so minor complaints, but here is what I'm hopping that a next version will fix:

- (At least) 7-9 hours of battery life
- 2 usb ports
- Connected Standby to make use of Windows background features.

For it to be out early October.

For it to be out early October.

MS is centering a new hardware launch for devices with 8.1 on October 18th, so the next Surface very well may come out on that date.

Or later, but I don't think that any devices with 8.1 pre-installed are coming prior to the 18th.

hwalker84

MS is centering a new hardware launch for devices with 8.1 on October 18th, so the next Surface very well may come out on that date.

Or later, but I don't think that any devices with 8.1 pre-installed are coming prior to the 18th.

Long as it can be on my hands before November 8th.

Izuna

Banned
About Rayman, I recently bought it only for it to disappear from the Store. I can't get a refund or anything, it was delisted on the EU store.

Anony

I am using a program called batterybar
charging_battery_bar.png

as you can see there's a text that says 'battery wear'

the 'problem' i'm having is that the battery wear is pretty high already, i'm at 8+ percent

I noticed that, when I first got it, when i fully charged the my surface, when i unplugged it i would get 3:30 to 4 hours
now when I do that same, i would only get 3 hours

it could be all software indications, but it does feel like I am getting less battery life, plus it wasnt good to begin with, so this is like a low blow for me

should i contact microsoft to complain or perhaps claim defective battery?

Izuna

Banned
charging_battery_bar.png

the 'problem' i'm having is that the battery wear is pretty high already, i'm at 8+ percent

I noticed that, when I first got it, when i fully charged the my surface, when i unplugged it i would get 3:30 to 4 hours

it could be all software indications, but it does feel like I am getting less battery life, plus it wasnt good to begin with, so this is like a low blow for me

I won't say why but MS are pretty lenient with warranty claims.

maeh2k

charging_battery_bar.png

Before you try to get it replaced, try calibration the battery. Use it from a full charge till it's empty. Even if it goes to sleep, keep it running over the night or something. And then charge is fully.

I don't trust those tools completely.

Okay, honest opinion Surface owners...I want one.

Should I wait for Surface 2?

Should I get the Pro?

Or get the cheap RT as something to just mess about with?

Depends on wat r u going to use it for

Fair point. I have no real "need" for one - it'd be nice to play my Steam collection on if I had the pro, and the idea of having full fat windows in something so portable is nice...

It's literally a case of me wanting something to mess about with!

Top Bottom