• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

whoa, whoa, whoa... c'mon. registry access? really? you think people might actually want this?

OK, if these things are important to you, then I guess that's fine - MS has got your back. But you can't tell me that these are usage scenarios that make the device better for the vast, vast majority of people. And MS is going for mass population acceptance, not a niche crowd of system admins who need to edit the registry, partition hard drives or read error logs on a frequent basis.
i'm not telling you they are something anything more than a niche wants. i'm just telling you that they do offer useful things to me, and others, and that stripping out the whole desktop makes little sense, when all your grandad needs to do is not to tap the desktop tile. and if he keeps doing it by accident, you can unpin it. and if he goes in anyway, and messes about in the registry, you can refresh the tablet for him and it will undo whatever mad crap he did, not lose any of his files and keep all his apps just the way he had them.

there's no reason to take the desktop out since they went to the effort of putting it in, and taking it out doesn't make the device better, it makes it worse.

qwerty2k

Quick question: has anything been said of security? ie, are all 'apps' running sandboxed? Are there anti-virus products in the microsoft store for this? etc?

Radec

Just saw the verge review video. Wow the interface is pretty fast and the gestures are neat. Some apps are sluggish though. And lol at youtube.

PG2G

Quick question: has anything been said of security? ie, are all 'apps' running sandboxed? Are there anti-virus products in the microsoft store for this? etc?

All the Windows Store apps run in a sandbox and are interact with the OS through a pretty limited API (WinRT). Not too different from iOS and Windows Phone. In addition, I don't believe Metro IE supports add ons

Definitely intrigued by the Surface Pro. The RT version isn't doing anything for me, though. Not really sure why it would be worth getting over an iPad.

More usable interface, better multitasking, built in USB 2.0 port, option to expand to 84 GB usable storage for $65, more system memory and a usable Office Suite for free.

What ain't to get.

iPad advantage = more apps and better screen. If the apps you need are there why wouldn't a person get the Surface instead.

Milchjon

The Chromebook review IMO does more than anything else to make The Verge's review appear rather silly. It includes this gem of a paragraph in the wrap-up:

The Verge said:
I’ve always justified my irrational love of the Chromebook platform by pointing out that its limited capabilities make it the perfect device for writing with minimal distraction. There simply isn’t much to be distracted by: it’s just you and a poorly-performing web browser. You have little choice but to wait it out in Google Docs until the words come to you

Overall Score? 7.5

Granted, there's a price difference of a few hundred bucks. But their respective reviews seem to be irrationally weighed by that factor.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The Verge is a bit of joke imo. They would be better off not putting score for anything. Just grade it as a buy, wait or don't buy...something like that.

hwalker84

I wonder when we'll see a Nokia RT device? NFC? Wireless charging? Nokia Apps? Crap I need to stop thinking about a product that hasn't been announced and just enjoy my Surface Friday.

tino

Banned
The Chromebook review IMO does more than anything else to make The Verge's review appear rather silly. It includes this gem of a paragraph in the wrap-up:

Overall Score? 7.5

Granted, there's a price difference of a few hundred bucks. But their respective reviews seem to be irrationally weighed by that factor.

I don't see the problem. 250 bux is a huge difference. Plus it has a better keyboard than RT does it not?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Kinda intrested in a surface, build quality look great. I've read that it can't play many types of vids, I would use it mostly to steam flash vids(720p) and watch mkv files guess its better to hold out for the pro.

Enco

there are rss apps in the store, and some with readability suport. No dropbox but there is skydrive and there is a kindle app.
Kindle app is good news.

Flipboard is the best rss reader for me and the only one I use. I suppose if there's something amazing I can move.

Dropbox is a must. Skydrive is nice but I live on Dropbox. I'll wait for the Pro and see how things go.

railGUN

Banned
Kindle app is good news.

Flipboard is the best rss reader for me and the only one I use. I suppose if there's something amazing I can move.

Dropbox is a must. Skydrive is nice but I live on Dropbox. I'll wait for the Pro and see how things go.

Apparently the Kindle app is currently terrible.

All WinRT apps are sandboxed. I don't believe Office or the other desktop applications (paint, notepad, etc) are sandboxed.

There is anti-virus built into Windows now, essentially equivalent to Microsoft Security Essentials for Win7, which was quite honestly the best anti-virus I ever used. Never caused a slow down, never nagged until it actually catches virus/malware (it ranked amongst the best in terms of catching viruses too) and it was free. You really won't have to worry since the majority of existing viruses wouldn't even work since it's running on ARM architecture (and the built-in anti-virus would hopefully catch any potential viruses that could run on ARM).

DieH@rd

Banned

Overall Score? 7.5

That's not a "few hundred bucks". Its 50% cheaper than keyboardless surface.

All WinRT apps are sandboxed. I don't believe Office or the other desktop applications (paint, notepad, etc) are sandboxed.

There is anti-virus built into Windows now, essentially equivalent to Microsoft Security Essentials for Win7, which was quite honestly the best anti-virus I ever used. Never caused a slow down, never nagged until it actually catches virus/malware (it ranked amongst the best in terms of catching viruses too) and it was free. You really won't have to worry since the majority of existing viruses wouldn't even work since it's running on ARM architecture (and the built-in anti-virus would hopefully catch any potential viruses that could run on ARM).

Windows RT has UEFI's SecureBoot hardwired which should allow only signed code to execute as well. (Funny thing is that I believe any Windows application is technically sandbox-able though not riight out the box)

Lucis

i'm not telling you they are something anything more than a niche wants. i'm just telling you that they do offer useful things to me, and others, and that stripping out the whole desktop makes little sense, when all your grandad needs to do is not to tap the desktop tile. and if he keeps doing it by accident, you can unpin it. and if he goes in anyway, and messes about in the registry, you can refresh the tablet for him and it will undo whatever mad crap he did, not lose any of his files and keep all his apps just the way he had them.

there's no reason to take the desktop out since they went to the effort of putting it in, and taking it out doesn't make the device better, it makes it worse.

there is regedit on rt though...

Windows RT has UEFI's SecureBoot hardwired which should allow only signed code to execute as well. (Funny thing is that I believe any Windows application is technically sandbox-able though not riight out the box)

UEFI's secure boot has nothing to do with windows application, windows has it's own policy, secure boot is only there so that you won't be able to load anything but authorized code from UEFI (which is the windows OS loader)

The Verge is a bit of joke imo. They would be better off not putting score for anything. Just grade it as a buy, wait or don't buy...something like that.

They said this..
The actual interface — the tiled environment — is a joy to use. It's really, really cool. I found myself legitimately delighted by some of its functionality, particularly its multitasking and side-by-side apps concept.

That right there is enough to make me want to get the Surface instead of any other tablet.

EriCKY

Neo Member
Got my Fedex tracking number..

current status is "Shipment Exception"

Delivery estimate is "Estimated delivery Oct 29, 2012 by 10:30 AM"

ugh.

th3dude

This is really, really intriguing to me. I absolutely love the look of that hardware.

I'm in the marker right now to consolidate my Nexus 7 and laptop to a 10 inch range tablet.

Was hyped to see apple update the iPad yesterday, but the surface is still in the back of my mind.

I mainly browse and email, but I want Netflix, MLB, NHL, HBO, etc.

My fear is a new ecosystem and lack of apps. Convince me to get this sexy piece of hardware instead?

Also, are they expecting these to be in stock in MS retail stores this weekend? I have one nearby.

mm04

I better see a shipping email in the next 12 hours! My invoice says: Product release date: your order will be delivered by 10/26. So that crap better get here on Friday.

Jzero

This is really, really intriguing to me. I absolutely love the look of that hardware.

I'm in the marker right now to consolidate my Nexus 7 and laptop to a 10 inch range tablet.

Was hyped to see apple update the iPad yesterday, but the surface is still in the back of my mind.

My fear is a new ecosystem and lack of apps. Convince me to get this sexy piece of hardware instead?

Also, are they expecting these to be in stock in MS retail stores this weekend? I have one nearby.

If you want a lot of apps don't get the surface RT. if you have the money you can wait for the Windows 8 Surface though.

sounds like you're suffering from the allure of new product syndrome. ipad seems more up your alley.

Also where da vids at. I want more moremoremore videos.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

IE10 works great, email app does everything you need. There is a Netflix app.

Netflix (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/d8d75bb2-c5cd-44f2-8c26-c1d1ae5b13fa)

I know MLB.TV works in the browser. I don't have a hbo account but it looks like the website works as well, and I assume nhl works too.

basically a lot of the stuff is covered by IE having flash support on the major websites.

Am I the only poster that would like to see a Microsoft Store list of the available applications for Surface RT in the OP?

Maybe I am.

So if I wanna get hands on with a Surface this weekend... where do I go? I recall them mentioning they are doing temp stores or something to demo surfaces... any location lists of where they doing that?

mm04

Thanks for that, but no dice for me. What I DID do was call MS, and found out they were trying to pull some shenanigans of shipping my order on the 26th. I said my expectations were for it to be delivered by the 26th since that's what my invoice says and that's what the website said. Then I got the promise it would arrive on the 26th. Let's see how that plays out...

Everdred

I better see a shipping email in the next 12 hours! My invoice says: Product release date: your order will be delivered by 10/26. So that crap better get here on Friday.

I haven't got an email yet but I called and cancelled my order and they said that the product already shipped.

th3dude

sounds like you're suffering from the allure of new product syndrome. ipad seems more up your alley.

Also where da vids at. I want more moremoremore videos.

I'm definitely a sufferer of that. But, I've been looking all day at trying to find the right combo of case, keyboard, and stand for an iPad (that's what I really want in terms of hardware).

Then I see Surface. Solid hardware, no need for a case (ie, iPads scratch like crazy), keyboard cover, Office.

Just sounds great to me.

If I can access the content I want on occasion, then I'm likely sold. I'd say 95% of the time I'm browsing or e-mailing.

Also, as a developer, it intrigues me to check out the development process and maybe get in early on the ecosystem as a dev.

EriCKY

Neo Member
Thanks for that, but no dice for me. What I DID do was call MS, and found out they were trying to pull some shenanigans of shipping my order on the 26th. I said my expectations were for it to be delivered by the 26th since that's what my invoice says and that's what the website said. Then I got the promise it would arrive on the 26th. Let's see how that plays out...

what worked for me was switching the shipped date to the 23rd on the fedex website.

apparently they missed the cutoff for fedex shipment and now tons of packages are delayed till the 29th.

I'm definitely a sufferer of that. But, I've been looking all day at trying to find the right combo of case, keyboard, and stand for an iPad (that's what I really want in terms of hardware).

Then I see Surface. Solid hardware, no need for a case (ie, iPads scratch like crazy), keyboard cover, Office.

Just sounds great to me.

If I can access the content I want on occasion, then I'm likely sold. I'd say 95% of the time I'm browsing or e-mailing.

Also, as a developer, it intrigues me to check out the development process and maybe get in early on the ecosystem as a dev.
then the rt should be good enough. Go for it.

Haklong

I used the method shown on WPcentral and was able to track mine via fed ex. I should have it Friday before 10:30AM. Here's hoping.

Top Bottom