• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

JaggedSac

Also the Surface without the keyboard seems a bit pointless to me. I mean it comes with Office.

If I get one, I will uninstall Office and just use the web versions. But this begs the question, if someone were to uninstall Office from RT(if this is even possible), can you re-install them via Windows Update?

PG2G

Can someone explain to me why Surface doesn't have 3G/4G/LTE? I really like the hardware and I'm prepared to wait for the apps but I would really like to access the internet anywhere (Library, Car, etc..) like you're able to do on the iPad. What are the alternatives? Is it likely Surface Pro will have it?

Thanks.

Is tethering it to your phone an option?

maeh2k

Can someone explain to me why Surface doesn't have 3G/4G/LTE? I really like the hardware and I'm prepared to wait for the apps but I would really like to access the internet anywhere (Library, Car, etc..) like you're able to do on the iPad. What are the alternatives? Is it likely Surface Pro will have it?

Thanks.

Surface isn't the only option. Look at all the other new tablets. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489163
There are a couple of options that have 3G/4G capability. There are Atom tablets from Lenovo, Dell, and HP and on the ARM side there's the Samsung ATIV tab.

KorrZ

Isn't tethering really taxing on your phone's battery life? I've always assumed it was, which is why I never do it. If it isn't, though, this would be great news.

4G can drain it down really quick, but using 3G it's never really seemed too bad for me.

Isn't tethering really taxing on your phone's battery life? I've always assumed it was, which is why I never do it. If it isn't, though, this would be great news.

You could charge your phone with the Surface.
KuGsj.gif

VanWinkle

4G can drain it down really quick, but using 3G it's never really seemed too bad for me.

I haven't noticed an extra drain on the battery, but my phone does get hot as hell :)

Hmm...that is very interesting. I'm going to try using the tethering on my S3, since I only have 3G anyway and see how it goes.

You could charge your phone with the Surface.
KuGsj.gif

Haha, that's great.

Milchjon

Love Panos Panay. He's really into it. No "awesome", "incredible", just facts and stories.

Edit: LOL @ the Hydro Thunder demo

Guy in the stream sounds like he should be on QVC

I had to tether while on holiday last month for about 6 days on a galaxy ace, I found that for just loading web pages on my ipad and using the wireless tethering option I could get about 3 hours of phone battery, which I thought was reasonable for using the internet with the phone screen turned off. I did plug my phone in to a wall socket to help.

*reads above* charging the phone via tablet is a smart idea, heh.

Fuuuck, put me in the "I want one" camp.

I was previously planning on spending 1000-1200 for a high end laptop that I could use W8, edit video, and game on (low level), but now I'm thinking Surface and building a new desktop.

So in the launch vid, he was watching a movie on the Surface from the Xbox app, then streamed it to his Xbox via SmartGlass.

When you do this, can you use the Surface in the background?

VanWinkle

Man, that's impressive. Recording video and typing in Word at the same time. I won't lie. That's cool. I liked his example of use for that, too.

Milchjon

I always was like "Yeah, RT, that's not real Surface, it can't do much." But it seems like t can do almost any thing I need.

If they can get the ecosystem up and running, this thing will own.

TTOOLL

I was planning to get an ultrabook so I could travel with it and also use at work but Surface will just do it better

Enco

Surface is looking pretty great right now.

Multitasking, a nice interface, USB support, Office, cool hybrid design and a sexy look. So many good points.

Just need a Pro version to replace my laptop properly. RT wont cut it without full desktop support.

I wonder when they'll talk about surface pro. Or if they plan to go silent for a few months.

If they were to talk about it now I bet Surface RT sales would take a big hit.

I like what I see, the shared screen multi tasking is good and it's something I wanted on my ipad for things like youtube and browsing, and knowing that the pro will run most windows software like a regular PC it's the one I really want next year.

Surface is looking pretty great right now.

Multitasking, a nice interface, USB support, Office, cool hybrid design and a sexy look. So many good points.

Just need a Pro version to replace my laptop properly. RT wont cut it without full desktop support.

Has anyone seen a miltitasking demo of Surface with more than 2 apps? I want to know how it handles it, do the apps shrink into the little side bar and continue running in the background with the ability to scroll through them?

Top Bottom