• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

I'm kinda surprised at the lack of long videos looking at the Surface's performance and comparisons between doing the same type of tasks on it and the iPad.

EriCKY

Neo Member
You: My preordered surface is showing a delivery date of the 29th
You: when i preordered, it said 26th
Jerry: When did you place the order?
You: on the 18th
Jerry: I see
You: it seems that microsoft got the packages to fedex late because it says "Package received after FedEx cutoff"
Jerry: That is why Unfortunately due to the large number of preorders unless you purchased it on the 16th you will be getting your product a little later than expected
You: please transfer me to a supervisor jerry
Jerry: If you would like I can get you the supoervisor

eyeroll.gif

strata8

You: it seems that microsoft got the packages to fedex late because it says "Package received after FedEx cutoff"
Jerry: That is why Unfortunately due to the large number of preorders unless you purchased it on the 16th you will be getting your product a little later than expected

eyeroll.gif

What are you expecting them to do about it?

Jeels

eyeroll.gif

Does MSStore have live support?

BiggNife

More usable interface, better multitasking, built in USB 2.0 port, option to expand to 84 GB usable storage for $65, more system memory and a usable Office Suite for free.

What ain't to get.

iPad advantage = more apps and better screen. If the apps you need are there why wouldn't a person get the Surface instead.

Well, the fact that iOS's app ecosystem dwarfs Windows RT's right now (and it probably will for the forseeable future) is a pretty big deal. I imagine a lot of iOS apps people like won't be on Win8 RT for a while. And "more usable interface" is subjective.

I guess if you really care about the USB port and the expandable space, then sure. But I just can't see the general public caring about that stuff all that much.

The Pro is much more exciting to me since its real Windows and thus supports legacy applications in addition to Win 8 apps. The idea of a device that actually works well both as a tablet and as a laptop is something I'm really interested in. I'm not saying the RT version is bad by any means, but it's just not enough for me. It doesn't distinguish itself from the competition like the Pro does.

TylerD

I'm kinda surprised at the lack of long videos looking at the Surface's performance and comparisons between doing the same type of tasks on it and the iPad.

Just briefly looking around but slash gear has a video comparing some performance stuff of the iPad and surface RT. it isn't great but it is something.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FZB3mm7Egeo

I may go to the pop up MS store in my area over the weekend to check it out.

Slashgear also has a pretty nice walk through of Windows rt on surface. Pretty compelling as it is and shows how great surface pro will be with buttery smoothness.

dejay

Banned
I don't know what Australia's allocation was, but all three options are apparently sold out on the web site.

Enco

I'm guessing there isn't going to be an iTunes app? That's another must for me to switch and the reason I would wait for the pro.

strata8

Well, the fact that iOS's app ecosystem dwarfs Windows RT's right now (and it probably will for the forseeable future) is a pretty big deal. I imagine a lot of iOS apps people like won't be on Win8 RT for a while. And "more usable interface" is subjective.

I guess if you really care about the USB port and the expandable space, then sure. But I just can't see the general public caring about that stuff all that much.

The Pro is much more exciting to me since its real Windows and thus supports legacy applications in addition to Win 8 apps. The idea of a device that actually works well both as a tablet and as a laptop is something I'm really interested in. I'm not saying the RT version is bad by any means, but it's just not enough for me. It doesn't distinguish itself from the competition like the Pro does.

It's not really mentioned anywhere, but I feel like Windows tablets are more independent than their iOS/Android counterparts. There's no 'middleman' so to speak - to transfer a season of a TV show I can connect my external hard disk directly to the tablet and copy them over. With the iPad you'd need to connect it to another PC, connect the hard drive to that PC, then open iTunes and use that to copy the videos to your tablet. It's just arduous.

I dunno, maybe it's not a big draw for most people but it's a huge thing for me.

MarkusRJR

Oh god every time I see pictures of the surface I want to purchase it, only to realize how expensive it is. :(

Such a sleek machine.

Totakeke

It's not really mentioned anywhere, but I feel like Windows tablets are more independent than their iOS/Android counterparts. There's no 'middleman' so to speak - to transfer a season of a TV show I can connect my external hard disk directly to the tablet and copy them over. With the iPad you'd need to connect it to another PC, connect the hard drive to that PC, then open iTunes and use that to copy the videos to your tablet. It's just arduous.

I dunno, maybe it's not a big draw for most people but it's a huge thing for me.

Yeah, plus you can actually plug in your phones, tablets and devices into them to manage it, software requirements aside.

ArsTechnica said:
This is a point that takes a while to sink in. Does Windows RT support multiple users? Yes, because Windows 8 does. Does Windows RT support Flash in Internet Explorer 10? Yes, because Windows 8 does. Can Windows RT run Internet Explorer 10 on the desktop as well as in Metro? Yes, because Windows 8 can. Does Windows RT have the same bundled applications, like Mail, Video, Music, Weather, and so on? Yes, because Windows 8 does. Does Windows RT support Bluetooth mice and keyboards, USB hubs? Yes, because Windows 8 does. As a general rule, if Windows 8 has a feature Windows RT has the same feature.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/10/now-that-its-here-is-there-a-place-for-windows-rt/

Too bad none of the other Windows 8 devices are even as half as enticing as Surface for me.

So now that RT is out (I know tomorrow, but reviews and stuff), what do we know about Pro?
All reviews I read are really selling me on this thing, I will wait for the Pro anyway as I will only be able to buy a Surface (Pro or RT) the earliest in December, but man I really want one.
Also very surprised to hear that the touch cover actually works as a decent keyboard.

derFeef

Microsoft is doing a good job deciding for me to not buy the RT. Always the same shitty things not offering the whole selection in every country. Like Touchpad covers in all colors etc.

hwalker84

So now that RT is out (I know tomorrow, but reviews and stuff), what do we know about Pro?
All reviews I read are really selling me on this thing, I will wait for the Pro anyway as I will only be able to buy a Surface (Pro or RT) the earliest in December, but man I really want one.
Also very surprised to hear that the touch cover actually works as a decent keyboard.
Theres not much to know. We already know the dimensions and weight. We have reviews of RT build quality so we know Por will be top notch. We know how the keyboards feel and there's a million reviews of Win 8. Besides knowing how the screen quality and battery life are there's not much else.

Microsoft is doing a good job deciding for me to not buy the RT. Always the same shitty things not offering the whole selection in every country. Like Touchpad covers in all colors etc.
Manufacturing and logistics are hard. Not even Apple launches their products in every country at the same time. I know it sucks, but it is how it is, when you live in a small country.

USA! USA! USA!

hwalker84

Am I the only one who wants the Surface without the keyboard cover? All I want is a basic cover that clicks in and doesn't do anything.

SteveWD40

Question, will RT allow for iTunes day one? will it ever?

My Sister in law is looking for a tablet / laptop replacement and based on her needs the Surface RT might be golden, save for one: ability to charge and sync iPod. I assume it can charge via the USB but not Sync?

strata8

My Sister in law is looking for a tablet / laptop replacement and based on her needs the Surface RT might be golden, save for one: ability to charge and sync iPod. I assume it can charge via the USB but not Sync?

Apple would have to release Metro-style syncing software... probably not going to happen anytime soon.

PG2G

You'll need to look into a Clovertrail machine instead. I think it'll take Xbox Music taking significant market share from iTunes before Apple feels a need to create an app. Even then, I'd be surprised if the app wasn't more like the iPad app and less like the desktop app.

kazinova

I'm still on the fence, I was off the fence after the price hit, but I've read reviews and seen too many pictures. I'm back on the fence. I just need to see it running Skulls of the Shogun and I'll be very tempted to run over to the pop-up store and grab one (ironically I'll probably end up getting it far before anone who preordered if I do).

On a side note: I went to the mall to see where the store would be and every employee was there "hanging out". I asked them if they were doing a midnight launch and they said "no, the mall won't open at midnight for them". Instead they were handing out a reservation card to claim your place in line for 12 noon on the 26th. I declined because I need to go to work during the day but I kicked myself for not asking if many people had taken reservations.

Apparently there might actually be demand for this device. I'd honestly be shocked if there was.

SPDIF

I'm still on the fence, I was off the fence after the price hit, but I've read reviews and seen too many pictures. I'm back on the fence. I just need to see it running Skulls of the Shogun and I'll be very tempted to run over to the pop-up store and grab one (ironically I'll probably end up getting it far before anone who preordered if I do).

On a side note: I went to the mall to see where the store would be and every employee was there "hanging out". I asked them if they were doing a midnight launch and they said "no, the mall won't open at midnight for them". Instead they were handing out a reservation card to claim your place in line for 12 noon on the 26th. I declined because I need to go to work during the day but I kicked myself for not asking if many people had taken reservations.

Apparently there might actually be demand for this device. I'd honestly be shocked if there was.

Just had a quick look on the various Microsoft store sites. In the UK the 32GB with and without the cover is sold out. In France and Germany the 32GB without the cover is sold out, and in the US it's at least a two week wait if you want to order right now.

So it definitely does seem popular.

so to anyone that wants a cyan cover and couldn't get one, mine shipped already even though my surface won't be here at the same time. i'm still totally taking it out and pretending to type on it as soon as it arrives. maybe i'll run it under the tap like they say you can.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Anyone heading over to a microsoft store? Word is, if you're the first 100 in line, you will get a free year of xbox music with a purchase. I don't know what the purchase has to be, hopefully not a surface because I'm kinda broke haha. Wouldn't mind demoing one though.

Source

I am tempted to go but the store is just opening today. That and I need to hitch a ride because I still need a license.

jagowar

Correct.... but I think the idea of syncing will start to go away. Syncing is going to the cloud on both apple and ms. Even the xbox music will use the cloud between win8/wp8 and would guess the ios/android app.

Not that this would be the best solution but if you got her a Surface you could get her used to xbox music (since its free for the first 6 months). Then if she likes it move her over to the ios app when it comes for music. Everything else would be on icloud sync wise.

derFeef

Just had a quick look on the various Microsoft store sites. In the UK the 32GB with and without the cover is sold out. In France and Germany the 32GB without the cover is sold out, and in the US it's at least a two week wait if you want to order right now.

So it definitely does seem popular.

Do we know how many they produced, or "shipped" ?

You know how they say. Scheisse happens.

You are really happy when I am sad, no?

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Just read about the Samsung Ativ 500T.

It has the same resolution as the Surface RT, same 2GB of ram and also maxes out at 64GB of storage.

However, it has an intel atom processor and runs the full Windows 8 Pro. It also has an included stylus.

The price is $750 with the keyboard dock. That's $50 more than the 64GB Surface.

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/tablet-pcs/XE500T1C-A01US

I'm sure the Surface has the better build quality, but the Samsung is really tempting too.

Capo

Can someone explain to me why Surface doesn't have 3G/4G/LTE? I really like the hardware and I'm prepared to wait for the apps but I would really like to access the internet anywhere (Library, Car, etc..) like you're able to do on the iPad. What are the alternatives? Is it likely Surface Pro will have it?

Thanks.

Can someone explain to me why Surface doesn't have 3G/4G/LTE? I really like the hardware and I'm prepared to wait for the apps but I would really like to access the internet anywhere (Library, Car, etc..) like you're able to do on the iPad. What are the alternatives? Is it likely Surface Pro will have it?

Thanks.

I forget the stats, but they said it was due to extremely low usage patterns vs wifi.

Top Bottom