• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

f0lken

A workaround to allow the SD card to integrate properly with the OS? That's absolutely unacceptable, and I'm starting to have my doubts about Windows tablets as a whole at this point.

What's the average consumer going to do when they can't download any more music and videos from the Xbox apps because the OS doesn't allow the card to be used as actual expandable storage?

It works the same as if you put a SD card or a USB stick in your PC or MAC, I think people know how to use those

EriCKY

Neo Member
how have you guys been able to upload pics from the surface?

imgur gets stuck at 0% uploading from "C://FAKEPATH/Pictures/"

strata8

What is the average consumer going to do? The same thing the average consumer does when they run out of space on the iPad.

Remove stuff they don't want, replace it with stuff they do want.
With 15GB of free space from the get go?

Without library integration by default, apps can't access anything on the SD card without implicitly being told to do so. Want to play an album that you've stored on it through the music app? Well, you can't, because you actually have to browse and play each individual track.

Let's say Joe has 30GB of music from his old PC. At this point he's only got 10GB of space left in his internal storage, so he puts it on his SD card. Much to his surprise, it doesn't show up in the Music app, so he consults the help which tells him about adding folders to his music library. He not able to, because it's removable storage. Without going through the complicated process of a workaround, there is no way for him to get this music on his SD card to show up in the app. To play a song he wants, he has to invoke the file picker, browse through the folders, and select the file manually.

hwalker84

I really like it I just have to wrap my head around this damn thing. Even after using Windows 8 since the day the RTM came out I'm still challenged.

Not sure if i like the swiping to change apps so I switched back to the more desktop style and its really cumbersome to close current apps.

Music app doesn't have controls unless you're in the app. Same with video.

Needs a lot more options in the People app.

Damn IE wont stay in Mobile mode for Neogaf!!!!

Where the hell are the sycn'd IE Favorites coming from and how the hell do I get rid of that!!

Hmmm the fact that surface has USB ports has me kinda interested. Also the device looks really nice. I hope Microsoft finds success with this device and windows 8

strata8

Not sure if i like the swiping to change apps so I switched back to the more desktop style and its really cumbersome to close current apps.

Why are you closing apps?

Music app doesn't have controls unless you're in the app. Same with video.

You can access the controls by pressing any of the volume buttons.

Where the hell are the sycn'd IE Favorites coming from and how the hell do I get rid of that!!

You should be able to delete them, I think.

dLMN8R

With 15GB of free space from the get go?

Without library integration by default, apps can't access anything on the SD card without implicitly being told to do so. Want to play an album that you've stored on it through the music app? Well, you can't, because you actually have to browse and play each individual track.

Let's say Joe has 30GB of music from his old PC. At this point he's only got 10GB of space left in his internal storage, so he puts it on his SD card. Much to his surprise, it doesn't show up in the Music app, so he consults the help which tells him about adding folders to his music library. He not able to, because it's removable storage. Without going through the complicated process of a workaround, there is no way for him to get this music on his SD card to show up in the app. To play a song he wants, he has to invoke the file picker, browse through the folders, and select the file manually.

Let's cut the exaggerations? It's not 15GB, it's closer to 20GB after the first-reboot cleanup is completed as I explained on the previous page. 20GB is a lot of data. The 16GB iPad is by far the most popular iPad.

You're describing a scenario that sucks for enthusiasts, but can be remedied by a workaround. General consumers aren't going to stick an SD card in their PC full of music and expect to play it all effortlessly.

Think about it - how did they even get the music on the SD card in the first place? That alone requires some technical know-how to install an SD card reader on your PC if it doesn't already have one, navigate through Explorer to find the specific music files you want, find the SD card in Explorer, and drag and drop music onto the SD card.

For the few people who are actually going to do something like that, I think they'll be able to learn the rest pretty well.

What do real people do with SD cards? Pretty much the only thing they do with SD cards is take pictures on their camera, and stick the SD card in with their pictures. That's easily handled by the Photos app.

railGUN

Banned
Why wouldn't music just play from an SD card (as if it was internal storage)? Is there some technical reason? Also, can you fill up an SD card with movies / video and easily watch them without having to jump through hoops? Can video and photos recorded from the Surface be stored directly on the SD card?

strata8

Let's cut the exaggerations? It's not 15GB, it's closer to 20GB after the first-reboot cleanup is completed as I explained on the previous page. 20GB is a lot of data. The 16GB iPad is by far the most popular iPad.

You're describing a scenario that sucks for enthusiasts, but can be remedied by a workaround. General consumers aren't going to stick an SD card in their PC full of music and expect to play it all effortlessly.

Think about it - how did they even get the music on the SD card in the first place? That alone requires some technical know-how to install an SD card reader on your PC if it doesn't already have one, navigate through Explorer to find the specific music files you want, find the SD card in Explorer, and drag and drop music onto the SD card.

For the few people who are actually going to do something like that, I think they'll be able to learn the rest pretty well.

What do real people do with SD cards? Pretty much the only thing they do with SD cards is take pictures on their camera, and stick the SD card in with their pictures. That's easily handled by the Photos app.

Are we talking about the same thing here? I was under the assumption that this about the microSD slot in the Surface, and use of microSD cards as expandable storage.

I personally don't think it requires much technical know-how to copy music to a USB flash/hard drive and then plug that into the Surface and copy it to the expandable storage (or, if library integration worked as it should, the music library).

Why wouldn't music just play from an SD card (as if it was internal storage)? Is there some technical reason? Also, can you fill up an SD card with movies / video and easily watch them without having to jump through hoops? Can video and photos recorded from the Surface be stored directly on the SD card?

No, you can't use the microSD card as a library location, as it's classed as removable storage. Apps can't access it without being explicitly told to do so. For the most part, anything being copied to or from the card has to be done manually in Explorer or another file management program, or through a File Picker dialogue if the app provides an 'Open file' or 'Save as' function.

No, you can't use the microSD card as a library location, as it's classed as removable storage. Apps can't access it without being explicitly told to do so. For the most part, anything being copied to or from the card has to be done manually in Explorer or another file management program, or through a File Picker dialogue if the app provides an 'Open file' or 'Save as' function.

Actually, you can.

Create a shortcut on your desktop that points to the removable device. Give it an obvious name (like “SD” in my case) and then move it to the root of C: (as in C:\SD) or somewhere else convenient. Then, add that location (the shortcut) to the library. Voila! It works. On the Samsung tablet, this is in fact the only location I use for the Videos library
http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-tip-overcoming-library-limitations-144057

strata8

You can, but it requires a workaround to trick Windows into accepting it as a valid location. At the official, OS level, removable storage can't be used as a library location and the standard help procedure that Microsoft provides in regards to adding locations is useless.

I got ahead of myself before, sorry. As someone who is willing to research these tricks, it's perfectly possible. I'm just worried about the average consumer.

People need to understand that this OS treats removable media as so for the same reason you wouldn't want a disappearing library or you wouldn't install Photoshop to a memory stick, the system tries to prevent these use-cases. It's good to know that you can do the work-around at your own peril but there are plenty of good reasons not to.

Many other OS’s because their hardware is so fickle or limited don't allow removable media or treat them like storage expansions when they do. People don't blame the OS when they fuck shit up there but there's a higher bar set for MS (rightly so) even if people have become cynical about the company's ability to meet it.

kms_md

Here are a couple of images (i apologize for the crappy phone images):

comparison with nexus 7 and ipad

9CBCDFA0-CEFE-4542-9F2B-EF8BB8543307-25785-0000172B96665799.jpg

comparison with 11" macbook air

FBB7828D-CFB6-4E4B-ABE1-AA9FDE46D680-25785-0000172B8929AF17.jpg

i have found the surface to be a nice piece of tech at first glance. i have not been able to begin any serious productivity type activity, however, thus far, it appears to be a nice consumption device. the interace (from someone who has experience with ios and android UIs) takes some getting used to.

the type pad keyboard is responsive and i have not noticed any significant difference from any other small form factor keyboard. i have not performed any significant testing of the trackpad. as i get more familiar with the windows 8 interface, i will try and put it through its paces.

kms_md

if you disconnect the keyboard, is it normal for the keyboard to be nonfunctional when reattached? if i remove my type pad keyboard, i need to restart the surface in order for it to be available for input when i reattach it.

Hey KMS that's a type cover right? Want to close the cover, and then close the smart cover on the ipad and then take a picture from the side or something. I'm curious to see the thickness of the RT with the type cover compared to the ipad with the smart cover.

if you disconnect the keyboard, is it normal for the keyboard to be nonfunctional when reattached? if i remove my type pad keyboard, i need to restart the surface in order for it to be available for input when i reattach it.
doesn't sound normal

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Hey KMS that's a type cover right? Want to close the cover, and then close the smart cover on the ipad and then take a picture from the side or something. I'm curious to see the thickness of the RT with the type cover compared to the ipad with the smart cover.

I was really worried about thickness, so I was going to get the touch cover. But in the store, when I tried them both, I just easily preferred to use the Type cover and the difference in thickness was negligible imo. Both are very nice though and should be standard!

f0lken

It shouldn't be normal, some videos show that if you reatach the keyboard it works without problems

I was really worried about thickness, so I was going to get the touch cover. But in the store, when I tried them both, I just easily preferred to use the Type cover and the difference in thickness was negligible imo. Both are very nice though and should be standard!
yeah if I get surface pro over another model I'll definitely get a type cover. Good to hear.

kms_md

Hey KMS that's a type cover right? Want to close the cover, and then close the smart cover on the ipad and then take a picture from the side or something. I'm curious to see the thickness of the RT with the type cover compared to the ipad with the smart cover.l

here is a top down view of an 11" air, surface with typepad cover, and ipad 3 with smart cover:

0F083880-4430-4030-B2F0-408E987A97E5-25813-0000172CF608C909.jpg

surface with type pad cover and ipad 3 with smart cover from the side:

1B9FAC77-22E9-4590-B146-1838F99ED880-25813-0000172CEDC50654.jpg

11" air (thick end) and surface with type pad cover:

2CE3EE77-C3F1-43CC-B187-8C068AC4F783-25813-0000172CE43114CF.jpg

and finally the ipad 3 on top of the surface (showing thickness only):

9DBB76C5-5493-4331-8D90-67F655D96BA4-25834-0000172DBC460291.jpg

strata8

iPad does work amazingly well with apple tv. What are the alternatives if using the surface?

Any Windows 8/RT device can stream to an Xbox 360 using the Devices charm. Works a lot better than AirPlay in my experience.

TVs and other devices are supported too AFAIK but they need to be certified for Windows 8.

Troll

Banned
It's not actually SmartGlass. SmartGlass is Xbox specific, whilst PlayTo/Devices charm/whatever you want to call it works with any compatible device.

That's true, but I want to see the comparison video. :p

e: I guess I should ask for a streaming comparison. I'm not really familiar with Airplay as you guys can probably tell.

f0lken

I would really really really like to see a comparison video of SmartGlass vs Airplay.

They are different, smartglass is an app while Airplay is part of the system, its equivalent should be the share and devices charms.

Fake edit: Beaten

dLMN8R

Can you delete Office for the space and then re-download it later on if need be?

Nope. Office RT is considered to be a part of the Windows RT OS. You could probably do something hacky like drag the data directories to removable storage and move them back later, but there could be other weird things that come from that.

Top Bottom