• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

dLMN8R

Right now here are the games I have on Surface:

Angry Birds Space - runs very smoothly, plays nicely. $5, but I had money to burn in PayPal
Wordament - Free, awesome word game, been playing it for years on Windows Phone. Massively multiplayer Boggle
Cut The Rope and Jetpack Joyride - seem like quick and dirty ports. Both have unfortunate performance issues on Surface
Rocket Riot (trial) - cool game, runs nicely, seems fun

I have a few others, but haven't tried them yet.

[edit] Pinball FX just released. Runs fairly nicely on Surface. Not perfectly smooth 60, but 25-30fps or so. It's free with one table, and then of course plenty of DLC.

Moppet13

I've been hearing a lot of bad things about the Office on the Surface about how slow it is. Is it really that bad? Have they done nothing to update it so it runs smoother?

kms_md

I've been hearing a lot of bad things about the Office on the Surface about how slow it is. Is it really that bad? Have they done nothing to update it so it runs smoother?

From what I understand, the tablet shipped with code that was not final and should run office apps better once updated.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Actually loading it the first time took a bit, but after that Word ran great with simple tasks - typing, highlight, copy/paste, formatting, bold/underline/open/close, etc. It took about 2 minutes to open a 22 meg Excel file, which was kinda slow - takes about 20-30 seconds on my laptop after a cold boot. But once in, I didn't have too many complaints - at least about speed.

I love the smoothly moving cursor as I type.

derFeef

I think that has been explained on the last page, that there is an update to the full version that resolves those issues.

jagowar

Right now here are the games I have on Surface:

Angry Birds Space - runs very smoothly, plays nicely. $5, but I had money to burn in PayPal
Wordament - Free, awesome word game, been playing it for years on Windows Phone. Massively multiplayer Boggle
Cut The Rope and Jetpack Joyride - seem like quick and dirty ports. Both have unfortunate performance issues on Surface
Rocket Riot (trial) - cool game, runs nicely, seems fun

I have a few others, but haven't tried them yet.

[edit] Pinball FX just released. Runs fairly nicely on Surface. Not perfectly smooth 60, but 25-30fps or so. It's free with one table, and then of course plenty of DLC.

I really hope the toy soldiers doesn't become the trend... was very excited to play it but its x86 only right now... not to mention the games like solitaire/minesweeper being the same.

Mairu

i'm still not sure what problems you were having changing your background. All of the images are saved by default in your Pictures Library. That is what the Metro Photos application points to and you can obviously get to that in the desktop. (open up explorer)

What's not to understand? I was browsing photos on the Metro Photos app that were not located on the Surface. They are located on my desktop PC. I could not access those photos from the desktop.

What's not to understand? I was browsing photos on the Metro Photos app that were not located on the Surface. They are located on my desktop PC. I could not access those photos from the desktop.

Setup a homegroup and you should be able to get access to them.

verbum

Makes sense, but doesn't make sense that I can access them in the Photos app without having to do anything, but I can't actually do anything useful with them inside the photos app.

Probably the photo folder on the desktop had "Let everyone view them" set in permissions, but not permission to edit them.

mm04

One day later and I'm loving this thing. Nephew can get Jamboxes for half the cost through his company, so I ordered one for it. Tested it out on the one he got my sister and it sounds great via Bluetooth.

Syckx

Any decent RSS readers in the market? Google Reader enabled is preferred. Trying Modern Reader right now, but don't want to buy it if there is a better option.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Any decent RSS readers in the market? Google Reader enabled is preferred. Trying Modern Reader right now, but don't want to buy it if there is a better option.
all of them seem rough around the edges, but a lot of them seem to support reader, readability etc..

Jzero

How many would you want?
Well it's going to be a thread dedicated to the store so i would like to fill it with 10 apps in each category(with pictures) (Games, Productivity, Social, etc.) and under those some other apps that didn't make the "Best Of" list.

strata8

This. I think a Windows RT app thread would be needed more right now.

Why a specific Windows RT thread? Windows 8 runs all the apps that Windows RT can.

I'll never understand why Microsoft built a benchmark into Windows that assesses how every aspect of your system performs (ie, Windows Experience Index) but never used it for anything, except for the boxes of a handful of games.

What WEI scores does the Surface get, by the way?

dLMN8R

I bought Feed Reader, but I actually find myself just using the Google Reader web site itself in IE most of the time. Much easier to open many articles in background tabs to read later.

Mairu

Anyone know if it's possible to browse mobile GAF? I tried using m.neogaf.com but it just redirects me to the full site when I click on threads.

Totakeke

I bought Feed Reader, but I actually find myself just using the Google Reader web site itself in IE most of the time. Much easier to open many articles in background tabs to read later.

How's the performance of the google reader site? Doesn't really work well with touch navigation on the tablet I have, or maybe that's just performance issues.

I asked this the other day but maybe the thread was moving to fast...

Did any developers buy the Surface to make Metro Apps?

Also, Can you remote debug an app you write on an x86 desktop on a Surface RT device?

verbum

I made the mistake of stopping by Lenox Square in Atlanta yesterday. Decided to go by the MS store. Walked out with a Surface RT.
Everytime I visit that damn mall I end up buying something. No buyers regret so far.
It surprised me that the store had them in stock while online ordering says 3 weeks to wait.

verbum

Reading various articles, I ran across Ed Bott's review. His main takeaway is "It’s more than an iPad, and less than a PC".
Also, a good section on the differences between the Type Cover and Touch Cover. I wanted a Type Cover but then saw in the store it had a felt-like backing. I have a dog and that felt-like backing would be solid white dog hairs in a while. I vacuum once a week but I still coughed up a hairball last week.

“More than an iPad” doesn’t mean “better than an iPad.” Making that final judgment has a lot to do with what you want out of a portable device and whether you already have an investment in or a preference for Apple’s enormous app ecosystem.

But, objectively, the Surface with Windows RT does five things an iPad simply can’t:

It allows connections to external devices. You can plug a micro-SD card into the slot hidden beneath the kickstand and instantly increase available storage. My review unit came with 64GB of internal storage and a 64GB SD card, giving it a very impressive 113.5GB of storage. The availability of a USB 2.0 slot means you can connect USB flash drives for easy file transfer, or connect to a printer to produce a hard copy of a document without having to jump through hoops.

It supports Adobe Flash in Internet Explorer. Yes, Flash takes some much-justified abuse for its performance and security woes, but it also powers a lot of web-based applications that people depend on, especially in educational segments.

It has a keyboard (and a touchpad!) Technically, theTouch Cover and Type Cover are optional accessories for the Surface RT. But I can’t imagine using this device without it. Yes, you can equip an iPad with a third-party keyboard to make data input faster, but the Surface covers have multiple advantages: they’re integrated into the cover, so you don’t have to carry an extra device, they work on a direct connection instead of requiring finicky Bluetooth and an external power source, and they include a touchpad, which lets you use Office apps and the Windows RT desktop without having to mess with the touchscreen. (The touchpad, by the way, scrolls in the opposite direction from most existing PC touchpads when you use the two-finger scroll gesture, a feature it shares with Macs running OS X Mountain Lion.)

Microsoft Office is included. Windows RT includes four apps from Office 2013, all of which were updated this week to the final release. For creating and editing documents, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote work exactly as they do on a Windows PC. Trying to open those documents on an iPad offers only a vague approximation of the formatting, with no editing capabilities unless you pay for a separate app.

Multiple users can share a Surface. An iPad is an intensely personal device, designed for a single user. By contrast, Windows RT has full support for multiple Windows accounts. And because it synchronizes settings, bookmarks, email and calendar items, and saved passwords with Windows 8, those individual accounts are personal and private.

http://www.zdnet.com/hands-on-with-microsofts-surface-rt-can-it-hit-the-sweet-spot-7000006258/

And the RT supports a USB mouse. First shooters, yeah!

Since I got all the updates installed, everything runs smoothly.

Totakeke

UkGUU.jpg

Mmm mm.

Anno

So the only physical location selling these are MS stores, correct? I wish they'd pop one up here in Columbus...

Hana-Bi

For those 32 GB versions out there. How's the storage situation. I've ordered the 32 GB one on 10/17 but still got no new status updates (Germany), and I'm asking myself whether 32 GB is enough.

How large are the updates (e.g. Office, but that is an upgrade) and will "old" update files deleted? I'm not gonna install that many apps but when you only start with 17 GB and the system will decrease it constantly 64 GB might be the better choice (though 100€ extra is a bit too much...).

Anno

Correct. 3 week wait online. No MS stores in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Indianapolis?

Cincinnati has one, it seems. Not sure if I want it enough to drive 3-4 hours though. I'm trying to convince myself to hold out for Surface 2, but all the hype going around right now is tugging on my impulse buy strings!

Remember those three lines caused by the iPad's Smart Cover? I imagine it's gonna happen again with the Surface cover, but you'll get a nice keyboard outline on the glass instead. It's not a problem, just where the cover is recessed and therefore doesn't 'clean' the grease as much as the bits touching the glass. But I'm sure people will complain again.

Top Bottom