• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Christmas isn't going to come soon enough.

Right now I've got $300 saved up, which means I'm half way to a Surface RT.

Question.

I have a ton of .mp4 movies and shows on an external hard drive.

Is Xbox Video the app that would be used to view them? Does it run .mp4 files very well?
.avi files?

I'm assuming Xbox Music will play any .mp3 files you have stored on the RT?

They play fine. Only format I couldn't play was FLAC for audio and .Mkv for video. Not the biggest deal, but I haven't found a media playing app that will handle those just yet.

Milchjon

I can't wait to see what the pro can do and also how xboxnext will use it.
MS deserve to do well with this as you can see how well thought out the device is but I really wish they did not bother with the RT.
It should have been the pro model only.
What is the point of the RT?

The RT is good enough for so much stuff, I'm actually reconsidering whether I'd need the Pro. Most people won't need/want to pay >$1000 for a tablet.

The RT is good enough for so much stuff, I'm actually reconsidering whether I'd need the Pro. Most people won't need/want to pay >$1000 for a tablet.

I think most people will concur. While the Pro model might sell, I don't see moving anywhere near the # that the RT model will once the apps are there and once the OS (Windows RT) has matured.

I can't wait to see what the pro can do and also how xboxnext will use it.
MS deserve to do well with this as you can see how well thought out the device is but I really wish they did not bother with the RT.
It should have been the pro model only.
What is the point of the RT?

The RT is much more likely to be a success and will probably handily outsell the Pro. If they did Pro model only the entire concept and Windows 8 as a tablet OS would have been DOA.

Flash

yup pro model is a great option but I think a lot of people (including myself) will be a little bit wary. If i'm spending that much money on it it will probably be more of a laptop replacement rather than a tablet... and I'm not sure how durable/usable the kick stand will be. The fact that it's non adjustable and will require hard surfaces makes me question how useful it will be to me.

RT on the other hand is clearly meant to supplement your desktop/laptop rather than replace it. Not only that it's a lot cheaper and I won't be surprised if a lot of people don't realize the difference between Windows 8/RT on the surface.

yup pro model is a great option but I think a lot of people (including myself) will be a little bit wary. If i'm spending that much money on it it will probably be more of a laptop replacement rather than a tablet... and I'm not sure how durable/usable the kick stand will be. The fact that it's non adjustable and will require hard surfaces makes me question how useful it will be to me.

RT on the other hand is clearly meant to supplement your desktop/laptop rather than replace it. Not only that it's a lot cheaper and I won't be surprised if a lot of people don't realize the difference between Windows 8/RT on the surface.

The only reason I want the pro model is for the digitizer(for notes) and Photoshop(for something else to use the digitizer on)

JaggedSac

Just grabbed a 32gb Surface with a black touch cover. Went to the store in Lenox Mall to play with it, ended up walking out with one. Thing is gorgeous.

jagowar

Same.... I am actually much more interested in a second gen surface RT now. Something that keeps the same basic form factor but ads in the 1080p screen, pen input from pro and a beefed up cpu/gpu (whatever the hot arm processor is a year from now).

By then hopefully the issues with some of the apps not supporting RT will be gone (games especially... the biggest flaw for me so far is the xbox games on surface. Toy soldiers is not even in the arm app store and games like hydro thunder don't run well with maxed graphics)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Sometimes I have some misclicking problems using IE... usually problems with inputting login/passwords... just now, I simply was not able to input my login/password on a website and just gave up. As soon as the virtual keyboard would come up, it would pop back down. Repeat many times.

Just re-watched the Surface launch event. Wow at at the thought and detail put into this device. Panos Panay is a great presenter. It really was a delight to watch and it's nice to see the enthousiasm of the presenters regarding the device and their natural way of presenting. It has this informal vibe which I love.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just re-watched the Surface launch event. Wow at at the thought and detail put into this device. Panos Panay is a great presenter. It really was a delight to watch and it's nice to see the enthousiasm of the presenters regarding the device and their natural way of presenting. It has this informal vibe which I love.

Are there any good videos of it? All the ones I find are all like 360P.

Mairu

While most of the apps I've downloaded I've been disappointed with performance, flash seems to be perfectly fine in IE. I was able to watch 720p twitch streams without issue

He reminds me of a salesman demoing a shamwow in a shopping mall. Very engaging, well practiced, hurling lots of chat at you very fast. Which is not really a bad thing I guess. But that's my feelings on the matter.

He reminds me of a salesman demoing a shamwow in a shopping mall. Very engaging, well practiced, hurling lots of chat at you very fast. Which is not really a bad thing I guess. But that's my feelings on the matter.

To me, it shows dedication and interest. For example, in high school, I had a talk about 'multimedia' for Dutch class. I had so much passion for the subject that I gave the talk without preparing for it, without stuttering or pauses like 'uhm' etc. Like I said, because of the passion I have for the subject. I think people can relate to this. As long as you work with what makes you happy and geniounely excited, you can demo like he did. I know that, because I've had a similair experience.

Marco1

Just watched the keynote and thought it was great but to fast.
I know he did a live drop test but it was a hollow, carpeted stage. Still it was a live droptest.
If you're going to go up against the ipad then why is the camera and screen worse FFS?
They're the only two things that have stopped me buying this as an early Christmas present.
BUT I will say one thing, the surface and new windows phone 8 could seriously pull me off my ipad and iphone and make the switch purely because of the direction apple is taking.
Competition is exactly what apple need, as my wife puts it," Apple are getting to big for their boots lately!"

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
True. And it's Windows on ARM. Not just Windows. User base is going to be small for awhile (compared to iOS devices). iOS software developers are going to need to see a justification for porting to RT.
the metro platform is built to be easily cross platform between windows rt and windows 8. It doesnt matter if windows rt starts off slow, it has real windows backing it.

Marco1

I can't wait to see how surface, windows phone8 and nextbox work together.
Don't disappoint MS because this is how you will get me to buy all three and dump apple.

Oh sweet! Thanks for the link :)

I'd appreciate it if you can post your impressions if you ever give remote debugging to it a try.

Alrighty, so got it up and running. Worked pretty easy.

I used this link, which I think is a bit better than my original one.

But essentially you download a remote monitoring tool for ARM onto the Surface. Then in visual studio you set it up for a remote monitor machine, hit the debug with Remote Device as your target.

On the Surface it will have some security prompts and you'll need to get a developer license/confirm. Then it will just run. All works pretty smoothly.

Here are some screenshots taken from my Surface of my app:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=829D25E3557FA2B8!413&authkey=!ABFmBBxnOvdmEzw

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=829D25E3557FA2B8!412&authkey=!AOsJKhzHuz7334E

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=829D25E3557FA2B8!414&authkey=!AF9-3Lfy956C300

Sorry about the links, couldn't figure out how to get the IMG thingy to work with SkyDrive. :/

Marco1

They made it as perfect as possible apparently.

I expect that surface 2 will fix this but so will every other tablet.
This is MS moneybags we're talking about so why skimp on two of the things that make a huge impact as soon as you try one.
I just don't understand why.

Milchjon

This is MS moneybags we're talking about so why skimp on two of the things that make a huge impact as soon as you try one.

If I had to guess: Higher res -> Needs more power -> Performance is sometimes iffy as is -> lots of more expensive parts.

MarkusRJR

I asked on the last page but no one answered me: Does the MS Store support PayPal. I want to buy the surface but I don't have a credit card.

Seriously why the fuck is the Surface not in any retail stores? There are only 4 MS stores in Canada and they're all in provinces I don't live in.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I asked on the last page but no one answered me: Does the MS Store support PayPal. I want to buy the surface but I don't have a credit card.

Seriously why the fuck is the Surface not in any retail stores? There are only 4 MS stores in Canada and they're all in provinces I don't live in.

Yep, it supports Pay Pal.

Windu

Yes

One question for those who already own the Surface and have been using it. Yesterday while playing with it in the store I fired up Internet Explorer and surfed a few websites, but they all looked blown way up on the screen. Went to ESPN for example and it was almost as if IE wasn't scaling the site for the screen. Jumped to a couple of other sites, and saw something similar. Anyone else experience this? Is there an option to switch the scaling on or something?

Windu

One question for those who already own the Surface and have been using it. Yesterday while playing with it in the store I fired up Internet Explorer and surfed a few websites, but they all looked blown way up on the screen. Went to ESPN for example and it was almost as if IE wasn't scaling the site for the screen. Jumped to a couple of other sites, and saw something similar. Anyone else experience this? Is there an option to switch the scaling on or something?
browser was just zoomed in.

strata8

There weren't any chipsets capable of driving a resolution of 1080p, much less one as high as the iPad's.

browser was just zoomed in.

How do you un-zoom? I tried to use the pinch-to-zoom options, but it had no effect. Also, IE wasn't launched before I started playing with the device. The default page came up fine, but when I surfed elsewhere, it started showing the unscaled pages.

Windu

How do you un-zoom? I tried to use the pinch-to-zoom options, but it had no effect. Also, IE wasn't launched before I started playing with the device. The default page came up fine, but when I surfed elsewhere, it started showing the unscaled pages.
ctrl - or go to settings

mm04

I'm not sure this is what you're asking, but swipe from the right with a browser open, then select Settings > Internet Options. That's where you'll find the zoom options.

Edit: Or do what Windu says hah.

ctrl - or go to settings

So it doesn't scale naturally or is there something in the settings that can be turned off? Seems odd that it wouldn't just naturally scale to the screen szie.

I'm not sure this is what you're asking, but swipe from the right with a browser open, then select Settings > Internet Options. That's where you'll find the zoom options.

Edit: Or do what Windu says hah.

I see. I'l do that if I have issues when I get my own Surface.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
They are working on a ModernUI browser for full Win8 but it's still in beta. There is no RT version that I'm aware of but I don't know if they're working on one.

Reposting this from the Windows 8 thread, I found this app that some of you might find useful if it's there on the RT store:

http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/en-us/app/toolbox-for-windows-8/70e5e6af-017c-47e4-923b-db71bd9110ba

Yeah it's there (if you check details, you'll see it supports ARM). I downloaded it but haven't tried it yet.

They are working on a ModernUI browser for full Win8 but it's still in beta. There is no RT version that I'm aware of but I don't know if they're working on one.

Reposting this from the Windows 8 thread, I found this app that some of you might find useful if it's there on the RT store:

http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/en-us/app/toolbox-for-windows-8/70e5e6af-017c-47e4-923b-db71bd9110ba

If you check supported processors under the details pane, it says ARM is supported - so it will be in the RT store.

The app looks silly, in my opinion, though.

Also, as far as I'm aware, Microsoft does not allow browsers in the Windows Store (unless they are just using a custom wrapper around IE's engine).

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
If you check supported processors under the details pane, it says ARM is supported - so it will be in the RT store.

The app looks silly, in my opinion, though.

Also, as far as I'm aware, Microsoft does not allow browsers in the Windows Store (unless they are just using a custom wrapper around IE's engine).

That's what they're doing it seems but I thought some people would find it useful since you can split the browsers 50:50.

That's what they're doing it seems but I thought some people would find it useful since you can split the browsers 50:50.

Ah, yes. That is an interesting feature. I'll play around with it, but a lot of the tools are kind of useless and duplicate the functionality that already exists on the Start screen. To each their own I suppose! It's definitely a quality app, all things considered, though.

dLMN8R

How's the performance of the google reader site? Doesn't really work well with touch navigation on the tablet I have, or maybe that's just performance issues.

Works perfectly smoothly for me, constantly scrolls at 60fps, loads content quickly too.

Top Bottom