• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

The Surface seems to be selling pretty well from the kiosks. I wonder if Microsoft will release sales figures at some point.
As with every company that is selling something: if sales are good, numbers will be released. If not, you'll get a "sold within expectations" line.

Mairu

Can someone tell me how to remove programs? Tried out an alarm app that doesn't work.

Anyone know of a good alarm app?

SPDIF

Can someone tell me how to remove programs? Tried out an alarm app that doesn't work.

Anyone know of a good alarm app?

Just right click on its tile and select uninstall

Or since he's using a Surface, just swipe down on the app's tile to bring up the bottom app bar, then just tap uninstall.

As for an alarm app, I've just had a quick look at KoAlarm: http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/en-us/app/koalarm/8096c4be-becc-443b-b82f-058041f609ff

Seems to work well enough.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Really? One of my favorite parts of IE on Surface is how smooth it is, especially scrolling and zooming. Even on pages with Flash it's perfectly smooth. And in addition to that smoothness, it seems to load pages faster than I've seen on an iPad - even when loading multiple tabs in the background.

My only complaints with IE is that there are some less-perfect animations when tapping the address bar to pull up the keyboard, and when doing the Back gesture it has to take a couple seconds to re-load the previous page.

Like I said - it wasn't bad by any means. Definitely a step-up from browsing on Android tablets. But yeah, it was an obvious downgrade from my iPad. Pinching was a bit "jankier", and scrolling skipped a bit on heavy sites like the Verge, which I don't experience on my iPad (both had the page fully loaded). And long pages - say, for example, a 100 post page from the "Post Your Pickups" thread - keeps "refreshing" the page as I scroll up and down - probably a RAM thing, but it was much more obvious on the Surface.

Again, not bad - but I think we all agreed it wasn't quite a smooth.

The kindle app update must have improved performance considerably, the app is working great for me.

Much better for sure. Still not as good as I'd expect, but definitely usable at this point.

For those of you who use OneNote, the latest update is a great polish release. You can now Share things to onenote, which is a nice touch.

Mairu

It takes way too long for apps to load for the first time sometimes. Seemed like it was taking forever to open the Mail app after I restarted for windows update :/

EriCKY

Neo Member
Honeymoon phase with this thing is over.

I still love it, just need to deal with its flaws.

I really dislike scrolling on pages with the touchpad on most heavy looking webpages. It is really stutter-y, while if I scroll by touching the screen itself, it's perfectly fine.

Some gestures are also annoying but i'll get used to them.

I don't like the layout of the store and I wish there was a 'Top free' and 'Top paid' like there is on iOS devices.

I really dislike scrolling on pages with the touchpad on most heavy looking webpages. It is really stutter-y, while if I scroll by touching the screen itself, it's perfectly fine.

I don't like the layout of the store and I wish there was a 'Top free' and 'Top paid' like there is on iOS devices.

There is a top free, right on the front page. Also you can sort each category by a bunch of things as well as filter by free/paid. Are you just not seeing that option?

You can enter in each category by clicking/touching their name and you see a bunch of combo-boxes for sorting and filtering stuff.

But i agree, the layout could be a lot better.

jagowar

Like I said - it wasn't bad by any means. Definitely a step-up from browsing on Android tablets. But yeah, it was an obvious downgrade from my iPad. Pinching was a bit "jankier", and scrolling skipped a bit on heavy sites like the Verge, which I don't experience on my iPad (both had the page fully loaded). And long pages - say, for example, a 100 post page from the "Post Your Pickups" thread - keeps "refreshing" the page as I scroll up and down - probably a RAM thing, but it was much more obvious on the Surface.

Again, not bad - but I think we all agreed it wasn't quite a smooth.

It might be a little smoother but ie10 to me is still far superior.. The tabbed support, back/forward gestures, flash being native, etc. It's better in almost every respect other than the scrolling to me (which isn't bad but not quite as smooth as my iPad)...

KoukiFC

Neo Member
It might be a little smoother but ie10 to me is still far superior.. The tabbed support, back/forward gestures, flash being native, etc. It's better in almost every respect other than the scrolling to me (which isn't bad but not quite as smooth as my iPad)...

I definitely agree. I can use 5-10 tabs on my Surface without issues. On my iPad I would only use 2-3 because the pages kept refreshing.

IE on my Surface feels like a desktop browser. The 2GB of ram really helps with multitasking.

Mairu

Anybody find a good twitter app?

MetroTwit seems buggy and doesn't seem to want to load my timeline:
Screenshot%20%286%29.png

Tweetro wouldn't load at all for me.

edit: okay, i guess metrotwit works but it just doesn't load tweets from before you started using it...

Milchjon

I actually went to a local 'Experience Center' to get a look at it.

-Resolution is definitely noticeable.

-Feels great in the hand. I don't think I'd have problem holding it for a longer time.

-I hadn't actually used Windows 8 before. Even though I think I was rather informed, there definitely was a learning curve. Even the guy presenting it to me was sometimes a bit confused. I think if you tried to sell it in a store next to an iPad, you might have a hard time convincing the uninformed.

-Once you get the hang of it, goddamn does it make iOS look old. I was especially surprised by how nicely apps scale when in 1/3 view.

-I still absolutely adore Metro. Bing News for instance looked especially great.

-I expected the covers to work great, but they still surprised me. Also, dat cyan.

Everything else I've noticed has been said before.

Overall impression: I might have to sell a kidney for this...

rykomatsu

I love the built-in split keyboard feature for when I can't use the touch cover 😁
Great build and turned the head of some naysayers at work. As much as I like Android, I have to admit I've been extremely pleased with the surface...gen2 should be amazing!

Also, props to MS for having Japanese input support baked in 😄

I think I read this before, but it's true that you can set your tiles so that they are all the same color?

I'm not feeling the multi-color layout. If I could make all the tiles rich blue....would love it.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I think I read this before, but it's true that you can set your tiles so that they are all the same color?

I'm not feeling the multi-color layout. If I could make all the tiles rich blue....would love it.
I don't think so tim

Milchjon

Oh, another thing that positively surprised me: Touch on desktop. I didn't spend too much time with it, but I hit every single button the way I intended to without having to aim carefully, even though some looked rather small at first.

Milchjon

Looking around, there's a lot of negative stuff on the web...

On Facebook, there are a lot of people complaining about not getting their Surfaces on time.

On Twitter, at least in Germany, you get tons of people who are retweeting the negative impressions of some guy. Reading his opinion, I agree with one thing: Shipping the device with a non-final version of Office is a stupid fucking idea, a recipe for people returning their Surface before even updating.

And here's the guy behind Instapaper with a rather scathing blog entry on MS' way of selling Surface in their stores. Obviously from a guy who's more of a Apple fan, but still.

derFeef

But it’s not for me at all. Not even for testing, experimenting, or curiosity. It feels too much like using a Windows PC, which was exactly Microsoft’s intention, and it will appeal to people who want that. But that’s a world I fled 8 years ago with no intention of returning.

I thought Windows RT feels nothing like Windows! I am confuzzled. Also he should have wrote that last sentence first...

edit: I know it's a bit unfair but I was looking at the guys twitter account and he really should stop the namecalling, does not help making him look like unprofessional.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I thought Windows RT feels nothing like Windows! I am confuzzled. Also he should have wrote that last sentence first...

edit: I know it's a bit unfair but I was looking at the guys twitter account and he really should stop the namecalling, does not help making him look like unprofessional.
Window RT is basically Windows 8 without the ability to install desktop applications. I'd say that feels like windows.

envi123

Looking around, there's a lot of negative stuff on the web...

On Facebook, there are a lot of people complaining about not getting their Surfaces on time.

On Twitter, at least in Germany, you get tons of people who are retweeting the negative impressions of some guy. Reading his opinion, I agree with one thing: Shipping the device with a non-final version of Office is a stupid fucking idea, a recipe for people returning their Surface before even updating.

And here's the guy behind Instapaper with a rather scathing blog entry on MS' way of selling Surface in their stores. Obviously from a guy who's more of a Apple fan, but still.

Heh, that's The Westchester Mall. I have a few friends working at the MS and Apple store there.

Syckx

I really, really like this device, but if I can't set up my Exchange on it, it has to go back. Called MS, they can't fix it. It worked for about 30 minutes, and then it dropped off the network and tells me the password is not strong enough (despite having upper, lower, special, and numerical characters). I have a sneaking suspicion my IT department is responsible...

JaggedSac

Lol, that guy has big stick up his ass obviously. And does Bing maps road view not use vectors?

blog guy said:
But since it responds to touches rather than mechanical pressure, you can’t rest your fingers on it without triggering key presses. Your fingers must hover over it, which makes it easy to get misaligned from your expected positions and type a bunch of wrong characters.

Wrong

I'd feel so uncomfortable if someone aggressively tried to sell me something but I'd let it slide, but man as soon as that second guy came and did it I straight up would have walked away as he was demoing.

Krakatoa

I really, really like this device, but if I can't set up my Exchange on it, it has to go back. Called MS, they can't fix it. It worked for about 30 minutes, and then it dropped off the network and tells me the password is not strong enough (despite having upper, lower, special, and numerical characters). I have a sneaking suspicion my IT department is responsible...

What version of Exchange?

hwalker84

There's a setting in your exchange ActiveSync policy that says something like "allow non supported devices". Talk to your it guys. We had to do that for some android devices.

Milchjon

This is a great read.

There's a lot of questionable stuff in there, so I dunno. I've been to a MS store, and yeah, their appearance tries to mirror Apple stores. I'll also believe him when it comes to the guys working there. But when it comes to other stuff...

Tiff and I both had the same first impression: it’s heavy. On paper, it’s 1.5 pounds (without the half-pound keyboard), like the iPad 1 and a bit heavier than the iPad 3. But it’s not just heavy: it feels dense, like the iPhone 4 and 4S (and notably not like the iPhone 5).

What the hell is that supposed to mean? "It's a bit heavier than the iPad 3", so it's totally heavy? Also, from holding it myself, I don't agree.
And of course he's mentioning how the weight doesn't include the cover, but doesn't mention that most people use Smart Covers on iPads.

I couldn’t type on the Touch Cover significantly faster than with the on-screen keyboard, so I question its purpose.

This one just makes him look like an idiot. A keyboard that keeps your screen keyboard-free isn't superior how?

Like the Zune, the Surface might always be competing with the previous-generation iPad. Microsoft has approximately matched the weight of the already-too-heavy iPad 3 right as Apple is releasing the far lighter iPad Mini. (And Microsoft just launched this tablet at $500 as everyone else is moving to much lower pricing.)

Is he really trying to say a) that the iPad Mini is the next generation of iPads, and b) that the Surface isn't mainly competing with the full size iPad?

Also, after playing with the Surface/Metro, I won't ever feel like an iPad is "current generation" until they seriously update iOS. It makes iOS feel obsolete as an OS.

But since it responds to touches rather than mechanical pressure, you can’t rest your fingers on it without triggering key presses. Your fingers must hover over it,

I can say for certain that's semi-true at most, possibly not true at all. You can place your hands on the keyboard and it will know you're not typing.

The thing I didn't try is keeping my hands on the cover and only moving one finger to type (I still type like shit, so it's not my natural way of typing ;-) ). Can someone who owns one say more about this?

Syckx

There's a setting in your exchange ActiveSync policy that says something like "allow non supported devices". Talk to your it guys. We had to do that for some android devices.

Yeah, I have a call into them. Fortunately, I have always treated them very well, so they are usually very willing to help. Thanks.

went to a microsoft holiday store.

Am pleased with how the Surface feels, and the whole kickstand and touch keyboard things are all excellent (zero typos from typing 2 paragraphs as fast as i could, god damn).

It seems like quite a poor tablet though o_O.

Not a fan of 16:9 for doing shit outside of video, and portrait is kinda bad.

Seems like the best netbook ever though.

There's a lot of questionable stuff in there, so I dunno. I've been to a MS store, and yeah, their appearance tries to mirror Apple stores. I'll also believe him when it comes to the guys working there. But when it comes to other stuff...

What the hell is that supposed to mean? "It's a bit heavier than the iPad 3", so it's totally heavy? Also, from holding it myself, I don't agree.
And of course he's mentioning how the weight doesn't include the cover, but doesn't mention that most people use Smart Covers on iPads.

This one just makes him look like an idiot. A keyboard that keeps your screen keyboard-free isn't superior how?

Is he really trying to say a) that the iPad Mini is the next generation of iPads, and b) that the Surface isn't mainly competing with the full size iPad?

Also, after playing with the Surface/Metro, I won't ever feel like an iPad is "current generation" until they seriously update iOS. It makes iOS feel obsolete as an OS.

I can say for certain that's semi-true at most, possibly not true at all. You can place your hands on the keyboard and it will know you're not typing.

The thing I didn't try is keeping my hands on the cover and only moving one finger to type (I still type like shit, so it's not my natural way of typing ;-) ). Can someone who owns one say more about this?

hatersgonnahate.gif

Seriously, that's someone with a bone to pick. Someone going in expecting failure and having it become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The same stuff you always see from Apple fanatics about "the competition." There's very little benefit of doubt given, there's very little leeway on anything, and quick impressions meant to be superficial so as to make sure nothing "good" is discovered if given enough time.

It's not unlike console wars :)

derFeef

I don't know how it is a "great read" if if's pretty clear where he comes from. He is entitled in his opinion, but such people will never change their mind.

Top Bottom