• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Jzero

Some pictures I took of my Surface (64GB):

jN8aWbjnsGlfS.jpg

Nice.

ksdixon

I'm really interested in if the RT buyers start to find themselves hindered by not having legacy software compatibility once the initial hype has worn off.

I suppose for some the difference between RT and Pro will be having a portable internet/media/office only device versus having an outright desktop/laptop replacement which can still use all their old programs.

EriCKY

Neo Member
I'm really interested in if the RT buyers start to find themselves hindered by not having legacy software compatibility once the initial hype has worn off.

I suppose for some the difference between RT and Pro will be having a portable internet/media/office only device versus having an outright desktop/laptop replacement which can still use all their old programs.

nope.

I've had mine since midnight on launch day and i'd say the hype has worn off but i'm still loving most of my moments with the surface.

Apps seem to be coming in slowly though. The new games that are coming in daily are mostly garbage.

If they do then they probably shouldn't have bought one in the first place.

KoukiFC

Neo Member

I don't think this will happen to me. Even on my desktop, I don't use that many x86 apps and spend most of my time in metro apps and IE.

Enco

The biggest selling points of the Surface are:

1. Office in tablet form
2. A replacement for both a tablet AND laptop

Those are my top reasons for a possible purchase. RT is no replacement for a laptop so that ruins 1 of the top 2 reasons. I'll wait.

Lol at anyone buying an RT unit and expecting compatability with x86 code.

Surface RT is a well made tablet, running a tablet OS that has Office ported to it. People shouldn't expect the OS to do more than is intended.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

If you want something that is just as light and thin as an arm tablet then get one of those new intel atom SoC ones. roughly the same price, supposedly around 8 hrs battery in tablet form, better performance and compatible with your desktop apps. Still waiting on reviews (shit is taking too long) but i have a feeling they will impress people.

Samsung Ativ Smart PC
Lenovo IdeaTab Lynx
Lenovo Thinkpad 2
Acer w510
HP Envy X2

among others

verbum

Basically, a Surface RT is a more capable Ipad.
I bought one Saturday and I find it is very nice to use.
I can insert various microSD's I already had loaded with music and audio books and just play them.

DagsJT

If you want something that is just as light and thin as an arm tablet then get one of those new intel atom SoC ones. roughly the same price, supposedly around 8 hrs battery in tablet form, better performance and compatible with your desktop apps. Still waiting on reviews (shit is taking too long) but i have a feeling they will impress people.

Samsung Ativ Smart PC
Lenovo IdeaTab Lynx
Lenovo Thinkpad 2
Acer w510
HP Envy X2

among others

When are these actually due out? I thought some Atom tablets would be released last Friday.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Interesting as I'm not remotely interested in Office anyway, intrigued.

If I decide to return my Surface within the next two weeks, I'm almost certain the reason would be because I know I'll want a Win 8 model and not just an RT model.

Mairu

Basically, a Surface RT is a more capable Ipad.
I bought one Saturday and I find it is very nice to use.
I can insert various microSD's I already had loaded with music and audio books and just play them.

I don't agree at all, at least not yet. The only thing it has over iPad is MSOffice - the iPad is entirely more capable of everything else due to apps.

I like the Surface a lot as a piece of hardware, but I'm not super happy with WinRT. I probably will get Surface Pro if the size/weight increase isn't too bad.

PSGames

Thinkpad 2 is due at the end of the year.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/Lenovo-ThinkPad-2-Tablet/productID.256044000/vip.true

You an preorder there. Looks great, but once you add in the cost of office, getting up there.

Lenovo looks nice but not sure about a 10.1 screen. The surface is 10.6. I wouldn't want to go any smaller.

I don't agree at all, at least not yet. The only thing it has over iPad is MSOffice - the iPad is entirely more capable of everything else due to apps.

I like the Surface a lot as a piece of hardware, but I'm not super happy with WinRT. I probably will get Surface Pro if the size/weight increase isn't too bad.

Snap multitasking alone makes it more capable.

What is your deal with apps? It does not have a large number of apps within a week of it's launch. That does not take away from it's capabilities since it's more than capable of receiving the necessary apps. You knew that before you purchased it too.

I still don't understand this fascination with apps anyway. We survived for years and years w/o apps on our laptops and computers. When tablets first came on the scene they had to bridge the canyon between their deficiencies and their more capable big brothers, computers and laptops. Now that they are far more capable this requirement of apps, apps, apps seems silly in my opinion.

Mairu

Lenovo looks nice but not sure about a 10.1 screen. The surface is 10.6. I wouldn't want to go any smaller.

Snap multitasking alone makes it more capable.

Snap multitasking doesn't make it more capable when there's very little to actually snap. Maybe in 3-6 months to a year you can call it more capable, but not based on the core OS or the idea that in the future there will actually be apps to take advantage of the benefits from W8. I like the interface, but WinRT is nowhere near as capable as Android or iOS right now.
What is your deal with apps? It does not have a large number of apps within a week of it's launch. That does not take away from it's capabilities since it's more than capable of receiving the necessary apps. You knew that before you purchased it too.

I still don't understand this fascination with apps anyway. We survived for years and years w/o apps on our laptops and computers. When tablets first came on the scene they had to bridge the canyon between their deficiencies and their more capable big brothers, computers and laptops. Now that they are far more capable this requirement of apps, apps, apps seems silly in my opinion.

"years and years w/o apps on our laptops and computers"? What? You're telling me when you got a fresh install of Windows XP, 7, or 8 you just left it alone and didn't proceed to install the programs you're used to using?

Snap multitasking doesn't make it more capable when there's very little to actually snap. Maybe in 3-6 months to a year you can call it more capable, but not based on the core OS or the idea that in the future there will actually be apps to take advantage of the benefits from W8. I like the interface, but WinRT is nowhere near as capable as Android or iOS right now.

"years and years w/o apps on our laptops and computers"? What? You're telling me when you got a fresh install of Windows XP, 7, or 8 you just left it alone and didn't proceed to install the programs you're used to using?

A large majority of users, yes. There is games and the internet for the large majority of users. Then Office probably.

Twitter, Myspace, Amazon, Netflix, Youtube, FB, Mail, Messenger...they are all on the web, based on browser usage.

Mairu

A large majority of users, yes. There is games and the internet for the large majority of users. Then Office. Twitter, Myspace, Amazon, Netflix, Youtube, FB, Mail, Messenger...they are all on the web, based on browser usage.

There's no reason to buy a premium tablet if all you're doing is spending time on the web. The whole benefit of being able to snap apps is pointless if you can't actually snap the apps - The twitter apps on the store that actually work on the RT are extremely buggy and mostly not that great. There's no good Facebook app, the existing mail app has speed issues (along with every app I guess, first launch takes way too long)

Why would people spend $500 on a premium tablet instead of just getting a $200 Nexus 7 when the premium tablet doesn't really do anything more or better than the budget tablets? The iPad has a huge amount of apps and games, the Surface currently has a short list of buggy applications and games that run worse than their alternatives on 2-3 year old phones. I didn't expect there to be much but even as evidenced by the Windows Phone 8 announcements they should recognize that a device should actually launch with the ability to run things, not the conceptual idea that in the future one day the apps that you find on the store will actually run well

I think I actually would've been less bothered by the short list of apps if the apps that had the ability to be installed on the RT weren't so crash-prone, buggy, slow, or lacking in features.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
The reason I like the Surface RT more than the iPad and Android tablets is because of IE10.

The web browser in the Surface is way better than Safari and Chrome on android. I can keep a buttload of tabs open, use Hulu (some shows are desktop only and work on the surface), upload pics on craigslist and other forums, and download any file I want (for example a zip file from dropbox).

commish

There's no reason to buy a premium tablet if all you're doing is spending time on the web. The whole benefit of being able to snap apps is pointless if you can't actually snap the apps - The twitter apps on the store that actually work on the RT are extremely buggy and mostly not that great. There's no good Facebook app, the existing mail app has speed issues (along with every app I guess, first launch takes way too long)

Why would people spend $500 on a premium tablet instead of just getting a $200 Nexus 7 when the premium tablet doesn't really do anything more or better than the budget tablets? The iPad has a huge amount of apps and games, the Surface currently has a short list of buggy applications and games that run worse than their alternatives on 2-3 year old phones. I didn't expect there to be much but even as evidenced by the Windows Phone 8 announcements they should recognize that a device should actually launch with the ability to run things, not the conceptual idea that in the future one day the apps that you find on the store will actually run well

I think I actually would've been less bothered by the short list of apps if the apps that had the ability to be installed on the RT weren't so crash-prone, buggy, slow, or lacking in features.

I don't think the surface is for you. Sounds like you need a more mature ecosystem. That's the beauty of it! IPad and android options are out there for those who don't want the surface is offering. As for me, the ability to do actual productive work on my tablet just may be enough. Can't do that on my iPad, at least not yet.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"

Remote desktop is -very- usable with RT and that's all I need as a backup plan if I need to do something only my desktop can do (code review and occasionally writing code).

Now, if I could find a way to lock the function keys on typecover..

Remote desktop is -very- usable with RT and that's all I need as a backup plan if I need to do something only my desktop can do (code review and occasionally writing code).

Now, if I could find a way to lock the function keys on typecover..

This is what I envision apps for. Something useful or functional the software or hardware is lacking. If it's just apps for the sake of apps IOS has 700k and Android has 675k. Those are for the app-centrics out there.

I applaud the direction the Surface is taking. I'm actually more excited about this than Android and IOS precisely cause it seems like it's less app dependent than they are.

strata8

Like commish said, you seem to have troubles adopting a new platform because you require a mature ecosystem from the get go, with a wide selection of apps. You're apparently not willing to wait for the ecosystem to develop. Frankly I'd be willing to drop $500 on the Surface because I know that it has the potential to be more capable than the iPad or Android tablets. If I buy an iPad today, it will never be able to do the things that the Surface could do in the future.

What's confusing to me is that you bought the Surface in the first place because everyone knew the selection and quality of apps would be paltry, at least in the first few months.

When are these actually due out? I thought some Atom tablets would be released last Friday.
I've been asking those companies directly about availability during the weekend, here's the dates i got for those tablets:

Lenovo's Think Pad 2 comes out 16th november.
Dell's Latitude 10 11th december.
Samsung's Smart Pc 500T can already be bought (albeit in short supplies)
Hp's ElitePad 900 comes out in January, 2013

Gadfly

Right now one of the applications that I want on my tablet is remote desktop. Do I get it with IPad?

I am sharing my tablet with my wife. Does IPad support multiple users?

I can connect to my home network and play music and video off those machines. I consider "that" an application.

I can connect SD and USB mass storage devices to my surface. I consider those apps too.

Now, I am not claiming the apps that interest me are the ones that population at large is interested in but making a general statement that Surface is less “capable” because it doesn't have as many apps in my opinion is discounting what a lot of us want to see in a tablet.

mm04

Right now one of the applications that I want on my tablet is remote desktop. Do I get it with IPad?

I am sharing my tablet with my wife. Does IPad support multiple users?

I can connect to my home network and play music and video off those machines. I consider "that" an application.

I can connect SD and USB mass storage devices to my surface. I consider those apps too.

Now, I am not claiming the apps that interest me are the ones that population at large is interested in but making a general statement that Surface is less “capable” because it doesn't have as many apps in my opinion is discounting what a lot of us want to see in a tablet.

Exactly, the Surface lacks number of apps. The iPad lacks features. Applications can be made. You want the things mentioned above for iPad? Better wait for the next version of IOS and another iteration of IPad.

Mairu

I don't think the surface is for you. Sounds like you need a more mature ecosystem. That's the beauty of it! IPad and android options are out there for those who don't want the surface is offering. As for me, the ability to do actual productive work on my tablet just may be enough. Can't do that on my iPad, at least not yet.

Like commish said, you seem to have troubles adopting a new platform because you require a mature ecosystem from the get go, with a wide selection of apps. You're apparently not willing to wait for the ecosystem to develop. Frankly I'd be willing to drop $500 on the Surface because I know that it has the potential to be more capable than the iPad or Android tablets. If I buy an iPad today, it will never be able to do the things that the Surface could do in the future.

What's confusing to me is that you bought the Surface in the first place because everyone knew the selection and quality of apps would be paltry, at least in the first few months.

I bought the Surface knowing I'd probably end up returning it, I just wanted to try the device out. I'd feel better about knowing the ecosystem is early if they didn't allow apps up on the Store if they weren't so feature-less, crashprone, or buggy. I also think there's just some core applications that I am absolutely surprised that they didn't feel the need to have ready for launch. I mean, in their Windows Phone 8 presentation they recognized the importance of basic social network applications when they announced new versions of the Twitter & FB apps - sure you can use the websites on Surface but what's the point since you won't be able to take advantage of the better aspects of WinRT's OS abilities?

The Surface just feels like a console at launch except they forgot to communicate with developers on having competent products ready to go along with the hardware. It's like if the Wii-U was launching with NSMB (MS Office on the Surface) and nothing else.

Like I said before, I like the device and I'm glad I was able to try it out - I'm expecting to get the Surface Pro when it releases as it shouldn't suffer from the same problems the Surface will be experiencing for the next 3-12 months. I have some worries about the confusion MS will be facing between the divide between WinRT apps and Win8/"legacy" applications and some doubts that the ecosystem will grow as some of you imagine.

I am also not sure why everyone is parroting the remote desktop feature either because while I'm sure it works great, Android & iOS have had remote desktop applications for quite awhile.

Gadfly

I bought the Surface knowing I'd probably end up returning it, I just wanted to try the device out. I'd feel better about knowing the ecosystem is early if they didn't allow apps up on the Store if they weren't so feature-less, crashprone, or buggy. I also think there's just some core applications that I am absolutely surprised that they didn't feel the need to have ready for launch. I mean, in their Windows Phone 8 presentation they recognized the importance of basic social network applications when they announced new versions of the Twitter & FB apps - sure you can use the websites on Surface but what's the point since you won't be able to take advantage of the better aspects of WinRT's OS abilities?

The Surface just feels like a console at launch except they forgot to communicate with developers on having competent products ready to go along with the hardware. It's like if the Wii-U was launching with NSMB (MS Office on the Surface) and nothing else.

Like I said before, I like the device and I'm glad I was able to try it out - I'm expecting to get the Surface Pro when it releases as it shouldn't suffer from the same problems the Surface will be experiencing for the next 3-12 months. I have some worries about the confusion MS will be facing between the divide between WinRT apps and Win8/"legacy" applications and some doubts that the ecosystem will grow as some of you imagine.

I am also not sure why everyone is parroting the remote desktop feature either because while I'm sure it works great, Android & iOS have had remote desktop applications for quite awhile.

have you ever used it? I have (on Android) and is total crap and unusable.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
have you ever used it? I have (on Android) and is total crap and unusable.

For android, check out phonemypc. It's great.

I just tried the logmein.com website on my Surface. As expected it works flawlessly. That's something iOS and Android can't do without the $30 logmein app.

verbum

Multiple users with saved profiles
Flash player
External storage- microSD and USB port
Type cover and Touch cover
Command prompt on the desktop

Chiggs

Gold Member
iFixit teardown.

fbyzN.jpg

The display's LTL106AL01-002 label indicates Samsung as the manufacturer. Its sister panel, the LTL106AL01-001, appears to be 1280 x 800 resolution. We didn't test the Surface's display before taking it apart, and we trust Microsoft not to lie...
But maybe someone can do a quicky double-check on the display resolution, just for giggles?

Uh....holy shit?

commish

How are ppl liking the touch keypad so far? I have the type but I'm curious about the touch. Type is exactly what you'd expect - great if you plan on typing a lot.

Gadfly

How are ppl liking the touch keypad so far? I have the type but I'm curious about the touch. Type is exactly what you'd expect - great if you plan on typing a lot.

My coworker swears by touch cover and wants to return the type. I have both and I plan to keep them (since I got a 64G, I don't have the option of returning touch even if I wanted to).

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
While playing with yet surface today, I keep noticing things that may stop me from returning it. I loved writing a work email and having a YouTube video up at the same time split screen ... It was just cool. Also when my power went out earlier and my phone was dying, I just plugged in my iPhone to my surface's USB. It was perfect. Loving this thing as the days go by.

Now get my apps on there!

Top Bottom