• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

hwalker84

I'm going to take a video of the clicking sound my Surface makes near the power button. I'm going to call the MS store near me and see if they have any 64GB's left.

hwalker84

Anyone else have the issue with Excel where if you're switching between metro apps and then back to Excel, the spreadsheet is entirely blank? I'm able to fix it by minimizing & restoring Excel - but it's kind of annoying that I can't switch back and forth easily.

Nope. Did you update to the final version of office?

It will no longer say Preview in the title if it has been upgraded. I believe someone earlier said they're rolling out updates, although you can force it.

Mairu

Update it through the desktop, not the start screen.

Updates on this thing is kind of annoying. Why are there three different places to go for updates? What's the normal way of getting to Windows Update on the desktop on RT? I couldn't find it in the Settings, it doesn't show up in the Office apps themselves, and it doesn't show up in the control panel by default. After changing the control panel to icon view instead of the summaries introduced with windows 7 I found the Windows Update tab, but this just seems backwards - On a tablet I'm confused as to why the update option in the metro settings menu doesn't just update everything. I mean, I suppose I can understand applications being separate from OS updates or firmware updates but then there's a third layer - desktop windows updates?

But I finally found it and I'm updating now, thanks.

edit: well, or not- can't seem to get past this:
Screenshot%20%288%29.png
ps- any way to decrease the compression in windows screenshots?

edit: ended up fixing itself after a few more tries, not sure what caused it or what fixed it

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I know it doesn't exist in a vacuum, but that basically says there's no potential for RT ever getting apps. And it has all the basics plus some key advantages/differences. I just don't agree.

Most sites review devices on it's merits not it's potential. Ultimately I think that's right because people like the ones reading this thread really don't need the review, we're clued in enough to make our own decisions. People who need that review want to know what they are getting when they go out and buy a surface today, not what it could be in 6 months.

And right now, everything someone is expecting to be able to do on a tablet, they can do it on an iPad, you just can't say the same about Surface yet.

verbum

U just mad cuz ur coach ain't got BB swag.

(I thought you got a Surface? Do you not like it?)

Our coach just won the most games as a Falcons coach of all time which is kind of like the Surface being the best RT tablet of all time.
I do like my Surface, it is very enjoyable for me to use. I have an older Ipad which I used less and less. Being able to type with the Touch Cover being always available gives the Surface an big advantage for me.

Totakeke

I might be a fanboy but:

iPad 4: 9.3
iPad Mini: 9.0
Surface: 7.0

really doesn't seem to be "fair" in relation.

Chromebook 7.5
Asus Transformer Pad Infinity 7.6
Xperia Tablet S 7.6
Kindle Fire HD 7.5
Galaxy Note 10.1 5.6
Nexus 7 8.8

At least iPad Mini is clearly 0.2 superior to Nexus 7. :)

Milchjon

Most sites review devices on it's merits not it's potential. Ultimately I think that's right because people like the ones reading this thread really don't need the review, we're clued in enough to make our own decisions. People who need that review want to know what they are getting when they go out and buy a surface today, not what it could be in 6 months.

And right now, everything someone is expecting to be able to do on a tablet, they can do it on an iPad, you just can't say the same about Surface yet.

I think that's basically my problem. The iPad is taken as the platonic ideal of a tablet. It's the baseline, and everyone just counts the features where Surface falls below it and basically disregards the stuff where it goes beyond. Negative differences seem to factor in way more than positive differences, just because the iPad set the template. And of course I won't be delusional and disregard that that's the reality MS has to face, but I still don't think Surface is treated fairly, at least by some reviewers.

I know it doesn't exist in a vacuum, but that basically says there's no potential for RT ever getting apps. And it has all the basics plus some key advantages/differences. I just don't agree.

I know Windows 8 and RT aren't even a week on the market, but you're doing something wrong if you don't even have official Facebook and Twitter apps at launch. The Twitter Mobile team said they'd ship an official app in the coming months. I'd say that's worse than Windows Phone.

For me, apps make or break a tablet experience and Windows 8/RT has nothing so far.

hwalker84

I know Windows 8 and RT aren't even a week on the market, but you're doing something wrong if you don't even have official Facebook and Twitter apps at launch. The Twitter Mobile team said they'd ship an official app in the coming months. I'd say that's worse than Windows Phone.

For me, apps make or break a tablet experience and Windows 8/RT has nothing so far.

Plenty of good Twitter apps on the Market. Facebook is another story though.

It took like 2 years for a Facebook app to come to the iPad. Is there even a tablet optimized one for Android?

Again, it doesn't matter how long it took for other platforms to do or get whatever. It's there and not on Windows 8 or RT. Windows Phone always had "the potential". Potential doesn't do shit when it's not utilized. IE 10 had the potential to bring cross device synchronization to the platforms and it didn't happen. Hey, maybe next year with IE 11. The potential is there, you know?

Plenty of good Twitter apps on the Market. Facebook is another story though.

I didn't like any of the Twitter apps on the store. Even MetroTwit is lacking compared to the desktop version.

JaggedSac

Solitaire, Minesweeper, and several of the other Microsoft published games don't even work on RT, which is kinda irritating. It doesn't make much sense to be quite honest, I would love to hear why exactly they weren't compiled for RT.

brotkasten said:
IE 10 had the potential to bring cross device synchronization to the platforms and it didn't happen.

It doesn't even really sync between the desktop and modern ui versions on the same device does it?

Totakeke

They weren't reviewing the final version of office, hated the type cover, which they tried to write a review in word with, and reviewed it as a games machine. Fair enough for what they were actually doing for their review.

JaggedSac

Very surprised they published that today and left the Office Preview stuff in there. It has been available for 3 or 4 days now.

I happen to type quite well with the touch cover.

Gaming complaints are right on the money. But I hate most mobile games anyway, well, except stuff like Wordament and Sudoku.

Again, it doesn't matter how long it took for other platforms to do or get whatever. It's there and not on Windows 8 or RT. Windows Phone always had "the potential". Potential doesn't do shit when it's not utilized. IE 10 had the potential to bring cross device synchronization to the platforms and it didn't happen. Hey, maybe next year with IE 11. The potential is there, you know?

I didn't like any of the Twitter apps on the store. Even MetroTwit is lacking compared tot he desktop version.

There's a smartglass demo where they showed session syncing between Xbox, wp8 and W8... I have no idea why is that not automatic, though...

strata8

Again, it doesn't matter how long it took for other platforms to do or get whatever. It's there and not on Windows 8 or RT. Windows Phone always had "the potential". Potential doesn't do shit when it's not utilized. IE 10 had the potential to bring cross device synchronization to the platforms and it didn't happen. Hey, maybe next year with IE 11. The potential is there, you know? .
To be fair, Windows Phone had (and still has) shit market share. We're talking about single digit percentages here.

PG2G

Again, it doesn't matter how long it took for other platforms to do or get whatever. It's there and not on Windows 8 or RT.

I still haven't found any evidence of a tablet optimized Android app. It'd be great if it was available for Win8/RT but it doesn't make sense to act like it is a big deal that it isn't there given its history and that it doesn't appear to exist on the #2 platform either.

Discusguy

All these negative reviews haven't swayed me from getting a Surface RT. I'm just holding out for a 64GB version without the touch cover.

I still haven't found any evidence of a tablet optimized Android app. It'd be great if it was available for Win8/RT but it doesn't make sense to act like it is a big deal that it isn't there given its history and that it doesn't appear to exist on the #2 platform either.

Android on tablets is no competition and never was. Windows 8 already surpassed Android as tablet OS, which is why I ignored it.

Totakeke

Just not too long ago every Win8 thread and plenty of media articles were full of FUD. That only recently turned around.

So the age old saying of give it more time is pretty much still the fairest judgment someone can give.

Now someone still need to make an apps thread.

kazinova

Still waiting for Skulls of the Shogun, that was supposedly a Win8/RT launch title. I was holding out hope that it was going to be the XBLA release this week but alas. NEXT WEEK OR ELSE MS!!!

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Pretty sure someone just needs to make an app for it. But that's a big "just".

That someone would have to be Cisco. Don't get why this wouldn't have been high priority for MS to get them on board. Is there bad blood between the two companies?

Totakeke

Still waiting for Skulls of the Shogun, that was supposedly a Win8/RT launch title. I was holding out hope that it was going to be the XBLA release this week but alas. NEXT WEEK OR ELSE MS!!!

Oct 22 said:
In the coming weeks, this website will be going through some changes as we prep for launch. We’ve got a lot of exciting things to share from now until then, so stay tuned!

More like... next month, or next next month.

That someone would have to be Cisco. Don't get why this wouldn't have been high priority for MS to get them on board. Is there bad blood between the two companies?

Because the only people who really needs the app would be people on Windows RT. And the number of people on Windows RT isn't exactly significant yet.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Gaming complaints are the only thing that's right on the money.

Yup, I agree with that. Of course, the tablet has been out for a handful of days, so perhaps time will change. iPad just has so many great, great games. If you're a tablet gamer, there's not much comparison yet. At least until I can play Planescape on my surface.

Windows 8 will be on 10's of millions of PC's in the near future, the market place will have a dozen fart apps in no time...

And I already said why it doesn't matter for the reviews. Scroll up to read the post.

Meanwhile, Facebook completely ignores Windows 8, as you can see in my post in the Windows 8/RT OT.

The only real issue I have with the Surface but not sure it will be fixed. Im more worried about the quality of games than the amount of the games on there.

Things should get better over time, as Nvidia announced the TegraZone for Windows RT.

Mairu

I didn't like any of the Twitter apps on the store. Even MetroTwit is lacking compared to the desktop version.

Rowi seems to be the best twitter client there right now, but the interface is kind of kludgey and it doesn't appear to be snappable

hoos30

I'm not quite sure I understand the pressing need for a Facebook app; the main functionality is baked into the OS and looks great.

JaggedSac

Third parties still make Twitter apps? I thought they pretty much gutted the amount of API calls an app could make. Is this not the case?

Top Bottom