• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Milchjon

An iPad upgrade after half a year makes me wonder if that was in part to torpedo the Surface launch by making the specs look dramatically outdated.

But oh well, why would Apple care about a niche product anyway.

Surprised the mini is not retina. And, :lol at 4th Gen iPad already.

you've got to figure the 4th Gen iPad poses more problems for the Surface than the mini does, but i think it's fair to say it doesn't really pose many more problems over the 3rd Gen iPad. which poses lots of problems, obviously, but i don't think microsoft will be sweating any harder after those announcements.

NeOak

Meh, most people that bought the iPad 3 will be enraged that a new one is out 6 months later.

My dad and I are waiting for the surface pro. Him for work and me for grad school. I need to run x86 software and my Dell Latitude XT is not cutting it anymore

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry to stay off topic, but to me if you have a 3rd Gen iPad, getting a 4th Gen is foolish and if you are looking to get an iPad, getting a mini over the 4th Gen seems silly. Thats it for my Apple talk.

Meh, most people that bought the iPad 3 will be enraged that a new one is out 6 months later.

My dad and I are waiting for the surface pro. Him for work and me for grad school. I need to run x86 software and my Dell Latitude XT is not cutting it anymore

well, talking on topic, those people weren't likely to buy a Surface either were they? i don't think MS is expecting to sell many Surfaces to people that just bought a tablet in the last half year.

hwalker84

I don't feel so bad because I'm so disappointed with the iPad 3. I was hoping the Surface would have even better battery life but that may not be the case. I need some real world tests not just a video loop.

This really was a shot aimed at the head of the Surface RT. It probably was a good shot too.

honestly, i really don't think so. what selling point of the Surface have they countered? the Surface's appeal remains the same. the feature differentiation remains about the same too, aside from it now having a video port.

i think they're going after Windows 8 more than the Surface RT. i don't see how this does anything new to counter Surface's selling points.

they talked way more about the 7 inch tablets which were huge sellers in the last christmas season. this was a shot aimed at the Kindle Fire and the Nexus 7. did they even mention Surface once in all their talk of android tablets?

Nero3000

- "It's Windows"
- "I don't understand why the desktop is there - I don't want to manage my files"
- "Who needs full Microsoft Office when I have Google docs?"
- "Doesn't run iTunes"
- "There are only 5,000 apps on day 1"
- "Screen resolution is too low, it's like living in Mario Land (the 1st one)"
- "Has internet explorer and I can't change the default browser"
- "Xbox music pass is too expensive, when iTunes match is only $25 a year"

I'm guessing reviews are going through some last minute changes:

- "The pixels are larger than the iPad Mini"
- "Doesn't fit in one hand"
- "The touch cover bends round the hinge, just a copy of iPad Mini"
- "Does not do Facetime HD calls with my iPad"

JaggedSac

honestly, i really don't think so. what selling point of the Surface have they countered? the Surface's appeal remains the same. the feature differentiation remains about the same too, aside from it now having a video port.

i think they're going after Windows 8 more than the Surface RT. i don't see how this does anything new to counter Surface's selling points.

What it does do, is become THE big thing(s) a couple days before the sale of the Surface. There is now even less mind share for the Surface than there was before.

It was smart of MS to put the Surface on sale before the Apple event.

Nero3000

Fuck me sideways:

For reference, the 64GB surface with touch cover is £560 here.

screenshot2012-10-23a8bsll.png

venne

What it does do, is become THE big thing(s) a couple days before the sale of the Surface. There is now even less mind share for the Surface than there was before.

It was smart of MS to put the Surface on sale before the Apple event.

I'm sure that was the intention, but based on reactions I don't think it worked.

They showcased evolutionary products and the pricing wasn't aggressive enough to warrant the spotlight.

f0lken

Lol @ that pcmag review mencioning that the Android market has more apps when right now even unlaunched Win8 has more tablet apps that 2 years of Android tablets, MS should troll them the same way Apple did today when announcing the iPad mini vs their Android phone stretched apps

The only significant difference is that Surface fluidity will be less impressive.

Have you seen videos of the surface's fluidity? Where are you getting your info from?

Fuck me sideways:

For reference, the 64GB surface with touch cover is £560 here.

It's going to take a while for people to realize that the Surface and other tabet plaforms are not even in the same class of computing devices.

Haklong

I was going to wait for the Pro but ended up pre-ordering the 64GB RT. I'm mostly going to use it for entertainment and Office so I would rather start cheap. I also have a pretty powerful PC at home so I could always use that for desktop application.

If this works out for MS and they make ever better hardware revisions (Haswell) I will upgrade to a Pro. Anyone else pre-order one?

Everdred

I was going to wait for the Pro but ended up pre-ordering the 64GB RT. I'm mostly going to use it for entertainment and Office so I would rather start cheap. I also have a pretty powerful PC at home so I could always use that for desktop application.

If this works out for MS and they make ever better hardware revisions (Haswell) I will upgrade to a Pro. Anyone else pro order one?
I pre-ordered one (32GB), cancelled it for the Samsung 500T and then cancelled that one for the Surface 32GB with cover because the normal one was sold out... Yeah, I know. Indecisive.

If this works out for MS and they make ever better hardware revisions (Haswell) I will upgrade to a Pro. Anyone else pre-order one?

i have a 32 Gig RT preordered with a blue touch cover. i didn't make the first batch of pre-orders, so i'm in the 'less than three weeks' group. my touch cover might yet ship out this week, which would be relatively amusing. the RT is for me and the wife to use as a supplement to my desktop and her laptop. work are likely to be providing me with a pro come next year.

Friday can't come soon enough. I don't have a shipment email yet, though.

installing windows 8 on friday is going to be a bit of a cock tease. you can see how well the start screen works for touch just by running a few apps. it works with a mouse, but not nearly as well (but then once you learn the charm shortcut keys it's snappy again... real power users use mouse + keys, not just a mouse after all).

i'll be running Forza with smartglass and a laptop tonight, and that's going to make me want my surface all the more.

Haklong

Friday can't come soon enough. I don't have a shipment email yet, though.

Seriously, when are they going to start shipping?!

Edit: After watching that video from The Verge I'm even happier with my purchase. The performance on the RT is great; it's so smooth.

EriCKY

Neo Member
the Viso Tab RT review on The Verge has me a little nervous.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/23/3536302/asus-vivo-tab-rt-review

"I'd blame developers, but the problems are equally persistent within Microsoft's own apps. I'd blame the hardware, but the Vivo Tab runs a 1.3GHz Tegra 3 processor, which we've proven over and over again is a very capable processor. I'm left with no choice but to blame Windows RT, which just doesn't seem optimized for speed or fluidity beyond the Start screen. A couple of these problems exist on Intel-powered devices as well — apps are slow to load there, too — but they're much more manageable on full-blown Windows 8. Windows RT just seems too resource-intensive for the hardware supporting it."

Tomcat

the Viso Tab RT review on The Verge has me a little nervous.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/23/3536302/asus-vivo-tab-rt-review

"I'd blame developers, but the problems are equally persistent within Microsoft's own apps. I'd blame the hardware, but the Vivo Tab runs a 1.3GHz Tegra 3 processor, which we've proven over and over again is a very capable processor. I'm left with no choice but to blame Windows RT, which just doesn't seem optimized for speed or fluidity beyond the Start screen. A couple of these problems exist on Intel-powered devices as well — apps are slow to load there, too — but they're much more manageable on full-blown Windows 8. Windows RT just seems too resource-intensive for the hardware supporting it."

wait for a review from someone who doesnt leave in a mac/iphone world

dejay

Banned
After that review and that video I just pre ordered a 32G model with black touch cover. I'll probably use it for work a lot of the time so a colour cover may be a bit out there.

DagsJT

I'm kinda tempted to go for the RT instead of a Pro, not entirely sure the Pro justifies the likely huge increase in price. I mainly use my Nexus 7 for browsing, videos and the odd games anyway so the Pro would probably be overkill.

On the other hand, I'd have my Steam library with me on a Pro....

jagowar

Not directly applicable but looks like the surface will get about 10 hrs on battery.... doing the conversion from anandtech's vivo tab review.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6387/asus-vivotab-rt-review/6

Doing the conversion from the tablet only gives 10.5 hrs but doing the tablet+doc gives 9.3 hrs... would assume overall will be around 10 hrs which to me is pretty good and far better than the reviewed i5 hardware.... haven't seen an atom review yet.

JBuccCP

W8 apps often take several seconds to load even on my desktop with a 4.5 Ghz CPU and dedicated graphics. I'm not exactly surprised they can be slow on a mobile chipset.

I really hope this wont be another windows phone situation where the main interface is fast as he'll but the apps are slow and stuttery.

Top Bottom