• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

ABC news (joanna stern) review of the surface:

The Surface isn't a laptop as the TSA agent thought, but it isn't a tablet either. It's a whole new category of computer, one of many coming out with Windows 8 this week. It has the potential to change how we use our devices – to be a tablet to lean back with on the couch and a full computer when you click in the keyboard.

But only part of its potential is fully realized at this point, and that's the hardware -- ironic for Microsoft, a software company. Windows RT is new and it shows; there are still performance kinks and the disappointing app selection limits the tablet in its functionality, despite its full version of Microsoft Office. Other full Windows 8 tablets and computers, like Acer's W510 and even the Surface Pro coming in January, are more appealing at this point because of their full Windows 8 software.

The Surface is full of potential, but until its software performance and apps are as strong as its hardware, I, unfortunately, will still drag both a laptop and an iPad through security.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/mi...-turned-laptop/story?id=17540348#.UIdDoW_A9UQ

bolded what the review basically amounts to. Seems to be a common trend about the software.

SeanR1221

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/23/microsoft-surface-rt-review/

Engadget liked it.

The Microsoft Surface with Windows RT's $499 starting MSRP means those thinking about making the investment here will be carefully cross-shopping against same-priced offerings from Apple, ASUS and others. Where does this one rate? Very well -- but very differently. While those devices are primarily targeted at content-hungry consumers, the Surface is a slate upon which you can get some serious work done, and do so comfortably. You can't always say that of the competition.

It's in the other half of the equation, that of the content consumption and entertainment, where the Surface is currently lacking. It needs a bigger pile of apps and games to make up for that and, while we're sure they're coming, we don't know when. If those apps arrive soon, then early adopters will feel vindicated. If, however, the Windows RT market is slow to mature, not truly getting hot for another six months or so, holding off will prove to have been the smarter option.

So, if gaming and music and movies and reading are what you're looking to enjoy, then we might advise sitting this one out for a few months just to make sure that all your bases will indeed be covered. If, however, you're looking for an impeccably engineered tablet upon which you can do some serious work, a device that doesn't look, feel or act like a toy, then you should get yourself a Surface with Windows RT.

KorrZ

So far the reviews have encouraged me even more. I really like what I'm hearing. I'm glad that the build quality is top notch, and that performance wise it seems pretty speedy outside of a few apps, which can easily be resolved quickly with some updates to apps and the OS. The fact that the Verge review praised IE10 so heavily is really awesome, since browsing is my main function on a tablet.

As for the lack of apps, I'm honestly not worried at all. Yeah it was nice when I had my iPad with over 100 apps installed, but at the end of the day I only ever use maybe 10 on a daily basis. Tuesday can't come soon enough!

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I thought it was a decent review by The Verge. It certainly hasn't dissuaded me from a future RT tablet, but if anything I'll wait for both the hardware and software to mature a bit.

strata8

Yeah, you don't need to do that. Hello file picker!!!

Well, he's talking about getting videos onto the device, and he sounds like he's never used Windows before. Seriously, it's as easy as:

Plug in USB > Open file manager (any kind) > Copy to 'Videos'

I have no idea what he's been doing, and it doesn't really bode well for the rest of the review. Not that I'd consider it seriously since it's so full of vitriol and exaggeration compared to the others.

giga

surfacebeak.gif

So far the reviews have encouraged me even more. I really like what I'm hearing. I'm glad that the build quality is top notch, and that performance wise it seems pretty speedy outside of a few apps, which can easily be resolved quickly with some updates to apps and the OS. The fact that the Verge review praised IE10 so heavily is really awesome, since browsing is my main function on a tablet.

As for the lack of apps, I'm honestly not worried at all. Yeah it was nice when I had my iPad with over 100 apps installed, but at the end of the day I only ever use maybe 10 on a daily basis. Tuesday can't come soon enough!

There were updates to the platform, that apparently weren't in time for the reviews... One of the reviews also mentions that Office was only the preview, but as of now Ms has already sent the full update to WU and to retailers too...

I actually like what i'm hearing too: The touch cover seems to work, the built quality is really good... There are some perfs issues, which i'm sure it's already ironed out by the least updates... The only real issue is the ecosystem being not so hot right now, and we have no idea when that will change.

popeutlal

The performance issues could be due to the older version of Tegra3. Tegra3 gets great benchmarks but every device this SoC is in suffers from terrible random lag.

Outside of a few of the comments in the gizmodo review, they seem pretty normal to me. In fact they seem like what I was expecting for the RT model.

Well, he's talking about getting videos onto the device, and he sounds like he's never used Windows before. Seriously, it's as easy as:

Plug in USB > Open file manager (any kind) > Copy to 'Videos'

I have no idea what he's been doing, and it doesn't really bode well for the rest of the review. Not that I'd consider it seriously since it's so full of vitriol and exaggeration compared to the others.

It's even easier because due the file picker contract any app that need to open files (like the video app) can directly access and play it, right from the usb stick... You don't need to import or copy anything XD

Troll

Banned
ARS review.

The Good

• Top notch build quality
  • Touch Cover really does work
  • Type Cover is a good solution for high volume text entry
  • Clear, bright screen with good viewing angles
  • First-rate Wi-Fi reliability

The Bad

• Touch Cover and Type Cover alike have poor touchpads
  • No NFC, no GPS, no 3G or 4G
  • There's no escaping that 1366×768 is a low resolution
  • $499 unit lacks the all-important Touch Cover
  • For $599, the Asus VivoTab RT gives you a package that's more versatile and better
    connected

The Ugly

• Windows RT is a gamble at this point in time

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
WIRED Fast to charge, slow to die. Amazingly fluid gesture-driven interface. Kickstand + Type Cover + Office applications mean it can pull double duty as a functional laptop. Type Cover is the phattest skinny thing since Mike D. OMG, a USB port on a tablet! I’m totally charging up my iPhone with this thing.

TIRED Programs can be slow to load. No 3G or LTE? But I want my internet everywhere! If anything, Type Cover is too sensitive. You’ll find a better selection of apps at your local TGI Friday’s.

I'm trying to figure out what amazing apps are missing in the Windows marketplace. Everyone is talking about the software, but they won't name the must-have apps that are not available.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm trying to figure out what amazing apps are missing in the Windows marketplace. Everyone is talking about the software, but they won't name the must-have apps that are not available.
Basically no app you want is there. That's all you need to know lol.

dream

That's kind of the problem, isn't it? Everyone has different killer apps and a tiny app store is most likely not going to satisfy anyone.

Ars basically has the same conclusion as the rest. Good hardware, lacklustre software as of now.

Right now I'm like 60% at getting a 3rd party pro device early next year and 50% at getting the surface pro next year. I was at 60/40 the other way around before reviews.

That's kind of the problem, isn't it? Everyone has different killer apps and a tiny app store is most likely not going to satisfy anyone.
I'd like to hear the apps at least. What people are using frequently and not available as the original or substitute otherwise in the marketplace.

I continue to see the tablet as an accessory device and not the primary one. It is niche for me and the lack of productivity software isn't a problem nor is the absence of 10,000 game clones.

well twitter and facebook would be the obvious ones. while you can obviously use the web browser for those, having a facebook app that you could use the 'share' charm to send a picture straight to, for example, would be much better that doing the same process with touch in IE10.

i'm sure both are coming, but they aren't here yet.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm still so conflicted. Spending $600 to get the keyboard version while only getting a device with a a tegra 3 chip coupled with a 1366×768 isn't that enticing. That being said I really like some of the OS design, and I like the idea of having a real keyboard to use with the browser to do somethings. Problem is I'd have to have it on a desk to really make use of the keyboard and the kickstand.

IDK... there is a lot of intriguing win for me here, but for everything I like there is something else I'm like ehhhh. I think it would be as much of a hesitation on my part if it wasn't 600 bones for the tablet + keyboard cover.

f0lken

I was actually scared untl I saw the review

They still snapped open and shut like they were new. We wanted to see how easy it was to break one. It’s very possible, but you have to really try. We did manage to break off the kickstand by gradually leaning onto it, but I had to put nearly my full weight onto the tablet before the kickstand snapped off.

If you want to break it you need to put some effort in doing so, but I take care of my things so no worries

Troll

Banned
Ars basically has the same conclusion as the rest. Good hardware, lacklustre software as of now.

Right now I'm like 60% at getting a 3rd party pro device early next year and 50% at getting the surface pro next year. I was at 60/40 the other way around before reviews.

Giz seems to be the one that comes off as overly negative in comparison to the other sites.

I still have to ask, if MS knew people would be reviewing this thing why hold off on big apps for the launch event? That decision just seems strange to me.

tino

Banned
Every time I see these keyboard, I ask how the hell can these keyboard stay in these vibrant colors?

I just think there is no way, a plastic material of any kind will stay in those vibrant colors 1 year later. They probably will have full of sweat and small fractions very soon.

I can't wait to play with the keyboard though.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I'm still so conflicted. Spending $600 to get the keyboard version while only getting a device with a a tegra 3 chip coupled with a 1366×768 isn't that enticing. That being said I really like some of the OS design, and I like the idea of having a real keyboard to use with the browser to do somethings. Problem is I'd have to have it on a desk to really make use of the keyboard and the kickstand.

IDK... there is a lot of intriguing win for me here, but for everything I like there is something else I'm like ehhhh. I think it would be as much of a hesitation on my part if it wasn't 600 bones for the tablet + keyboard cover.

Don't do it. You can be sure that MS will update this thing in the next 6 months. Tegra 3 and 1366x768 = no buy. Don't ignore your instinct.

Just buy Windows 8 on Friday. That will tide you over.

Synless

I have been following this tablet very closely since it was announced and love my iPad, but I am convinced this is my next tablet. I won't be buying this version, I'll let them iron out the bugs and specs, but the next refresh will be purchased. I personally am not turned off by these reviews, if the sales are there, the apps will come. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Every time I see these keyboard, I ask how the hell can these keyboard stay in these vibrant colors?

I just think there is no way, a plastic material of any kind will stay in those vibrant colors 1 year later. They probably will have full of sweat and small fractions very soon.

I can't wait to play with the keyboard though.

apparently you can wash it under a tap.

so which keyboard is the best? i really like the idea of the colors. makes it much more personal. are they planning to allow us to etch names and design on these tablets like the zune?

stktt

Banned
I don't regret buying one. The common complain in all of these reviews is a limited app selection, but that's already increasing at a pretty rapid pace despite Windows 8/RT not even being out yet. It's nice to hear that the Touch cover works better than expected.

No one tried plugging a 3g modem yet? Bummer.

The big negative so far is that apps are slow to open.

They sometimes were painfully slow to open even on my i7 (the store being the biggest offender)... A few weeks ago Ms released an 170mb update that pretty much addressed those problems... Now i don't think any of them takes more then a 1-2 seconds like, ever.

I'm hoping the review units didn't had this update applied...

And then there were updates to the apps themselves, The people app for instance, had a lot of trouble actually syncing the changes to my contacts, and when viewing someone's feed it could take a loooong time to load... Now it's much better.

Of course, i can't tell for sure because the device i'm using win8 is a hell of a lot better than any of the tablets coming out this year, but it's so smooth (even compared to win7) that i have absolutely no worries regarding performance on wRT tablets.

Top Bottom