• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

dLMN8R

The angle with the stand doesn't look comfortable for in-flight usage. I wonder what they optimized the angle for. Places like starbucks typically have low tables too.

I'm sitting in economy on a Delta flight right now and the viewing angle of the kickstand is just about perfect. It's upright enough that it provides enough room on the tray table to comfortably fit my type cover, and angled back enough that I can see the screen very clearly. Even if the person in front of my tilted his chair back.

MCD

http://microsoft-news.com/microsoft-surface-review/

Never mind the site's name but I really liked this review. I usually prefer reading normal users reviews to big sites that only concentrate on big vocabulary words and their review scoring.

Some of the negatives there are a real pain (he had to hack the music app to work with his SD card?) among other things which is handy to know before buying one.

frontieruk

Been wanting to get the touch cover for aesthetics, but if really affects typing documents then I'll just get the type cover.

to be honest it's the layout not the feel that affects typing, and I'd imagine the type cover is the same dimensions for layout...

I'm waiting for a replacement touch cover atm :(

dLMN8R

Even months later I'm still not a fan of the touch cover. I've never been able to get used to it.

Other than price, I don't see any benefit to the touch cover at all. It's the same weight, and while it's thicker, you can't even notice when it's flush against the device. When folded around the back, it doesn't bother me at all.

Marco1

Really looking forward to getting this next month.
thank goodness for gaffers as it seems the type cover is the one to get.

MCD

Even months later I'm still not a fan of the touch cover. I've never been able to get used to it.

Other than price, I don't see any benefit to the touch cover at all. It's the same weight, and while it's thicker, you can't even notice when it's flush against the device. When folded around the back, it doesn't bother me at all.

COLORS

dLMN8R

Yes, of course. But would the weight of the device, focused on the kickstand, exert enough force to keep keys on the type cover pressed down?

The keys are flush with the cover itself, not protruding out from the cover, so no when laying on a flat surface they won't get pressed down.

Totakeke

Ah, okay.

I wonder if it's possible to make a dock-type attachment with the current attachment design for people who just needs more flexibility with the screen angles, especially for the Surface Pro.

dejay

Banned
Ah, okay.

I wonder if it's possible to make a dock-type attachment with the current attachment design for people who just needs more flexibility with the screen angles, especially for the Surface Pro.

If you have a magazine handy (yeah, I know, it's meant to replace magazines) you can lay it under the keyboard, but leave the kickstand on the table. That will lay back the angle of the screen a fair bit.

dejay

Banned
Has anybody had any issues with taskbar icons for office not showing? This only happened after I updated from the preview version.

No. Can you simply not re-pin them? Or un-pin and then pin?

(edit) Just realised you can drag a window on the desktop to the side of the desktop and have it turn into a half-screen window. I realise that the behaviour should have been expected, given the same thing can be done with a mouse in Win 7, but for some reason it's more satisfying doing it with your finger.

Beowulf28

No. Can you simply not re-pin them? Or un-pin and then pin?

(edit) Just realised you can drag a window on the desktop to the side of the desktop and have it turn into a half-screen window. I realise that the behaviour should have been expected, given the same thing can be done with a mouse in Win 7, but for some reason it's more satisfying doing it with your finger.

That solved it, thanks!

Totakeke

Thanks, I wasn't sure such things existed, and haven't taken the time to research it yet. it's still slightly annoying, having to carry all these adapters around (ethernet, vga,...), but at least it's no deal breaker.
I'm on my way to one of the rare places in Paris that allow to try the device. I can't say MS made it easy for the consumer to want it. :/

Found one that the manufacturer has posted how to get the drivers installed. These devices are tricky because you can't install drivers using executable installers in RT so most of them doesn't work out of the box.

http://plugable.com/2012/11/16/usb-ethernet-microsoft-surface

Wish more manufacturers would make their devices work with Surface, or at least make some accessories.

Also cross posting from the OT, these kind of apps doesn't make as much sense when you have the full desktop.

Here's an app that looks intriguing. A recipe aggregator/food planner/shopping list app that makes use of the share charm.

Chef (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/2a0a008c-43c5-41c2-bb75-cddc911e5278)

Screenshot.34946.1000004.jpg

Screenshot.34946.1000005.jpg

Screenshot.34946.1000006.jpg

J4ZEf.png

I was thinking maybe we could use a public OneNote notebook to store app recommendations, but the share charm doesn't provide much data by default to the OneNote MX app.

Blackhead

Redarse
I was thinking maybe we could use a public OneNote notebook to store app recommendations, but the share charm doesn't provide much data by default to the OneNote MX app.

How easy is it to share between OneNote MX and OneNote Desktop? Do you keep them in sync?

Alx

Ordered a Surface with a black touch cover.

Just did the same, but with a type cover (I tried both covers yesterday, and although the touch works ok, I think the type is worth the extra money).
The Surface "showroom" in the Galeries Lafayette was very disappointing, by the way, only a table with 6 tablets and 1 guy doing demos... it doesn't really convey the idea of a "hot" product.

Totakeke

How easy is it to share between OneNote MX and OneNote Desktop? Do you keep them in sync?

It uses Skydrive, which is the main focus of Office 2013. You create or use Web Notebooks which are located on Skydrive and then you just need to login into your account once to have it always show on your other OneNote programs. It syncs pretty well, but not well enough that I do have to go and manually ask it to sync when something I just typed on my Surface doesn't appear on my desktop yet.

Kafel

Banned
Just did the same, but with a type cover (I tried both covers yesterday, and although the touch works ok, I think the type is worth the extra money).
The Surface "showroom" in the Galeries Lafayette was very disappointing, by the way, only a table with 6 tablets and 1 guy doing demos... it doesn't really convey the idea of a "hot" product.

I wish I could have tried one in Strasbourg but unfortunately the Surface there was gone. : (

I bought mine second-hand btw, 400 € instead of 589 €. So if I'll still plan to get a Pro in January/February then I shouldn't lose much money.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Have any new apps been added since launch? Also, how prevalent are these wi-fi connection problems?

kazinova

Have any new apps been added since launch? Also, how prevalent are these wi-fi connection problems?

I hadn't seen any WiFi problems until my girlfriend brough it to her workplace. It wouldn't connect apparently, which made all the Apple-toting sceptics laugh. I was kind of peeved not being there to defend the device, but ifit's a widespread problem it needs to be fixed stat.

(In the Surface's defense her work couldn't setup their Exchange server correctly, so I wouldn't put it past them to have incomprehensibly bad WiFi setup)

frontieruk

I hadn't seen any WiFi problems until my girlfriend brough it to her workplace. It wouldn't connect apparently, which made all the Apple-toting sceptics laugh. I was kind of peeved not being there to defend the device, but ifit's a widespread problem it needs to be fixed stat.

(In the Surface's defense her work couldn't setup their Exchange server correctly, so I wouldn't put it past them to have incomprehensibly bad WiFi setup)

well the number of ipads I've seen having issues connecting to peoples home networks quite bad also though I hold the router to blame as its always the same one.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
How feasible is it to use the touch cover on your lap?

dLMN8R

How feasible is it to use the touch cover on your lap?

Not especially usable. The touch cover is pressure sensitive, so that means that when it's on your lap where there's more give, you need to put extra pressure on it to work.

The type cover is very very usable on a lap, though.

Xian

Neo Member
Just realised this isn't the W8 Tablet thread but whatever.

I was really hyped up before launch (first time in years actually) and now were almost a month into the Windows 8 era and most devices do not even have a release date, pricing is all over the place and there's next to no information on most devices.

I just want to spend some money on something new. :(

PS: I don't really care for the Black Friday deals as I don't get any of them as a lowly European.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Just realised this isn't the W8 Tablet thread but whatever.

I was really hyped up before launch (first time in years actually) and now were almost a month into the Windows 8 era and most devices do not even have a release date, pricing is all over the place and there's next to no information on most devices.

I just want to spend some money on something new. :(

PS: I don't really care for the Black Friday deals as I don't get any of them as a lowly European.
Not sure if there'll be anything Windows related, but I know Amazon, Gamestop, and probably others are doing something for Black Friday in Europe, here's the thread.

Totakeke

Despite all the complaints about slow CPU and low-res display, the Surface handles itself pretty well against the Nexus 10.

Uh oh, I can feel the hate directed to the video already.

Everyone I show my Surface to is very impressed by the display, even iPad 3 users. I always tell them that it's only 1366x768 resolution, but they just nod away like I'm not making much sense.

Blackhead

Redarse
Despite all the complaints about slow CPU and low-res display, the Surface handles itself pretty well against the Nexus 10.

Uh oh, I can feel the hate directed to the video already.

Everyone I show my Surface to is very impressed by the display, even iPad 3 users. I always tell them that it's only 1366x768 resolution, but they just nod away like I'm not making much sense.

Hard to take the video seriously when he spends time complaining about mobile youtube site on the nexus 10 when it's got a youtube app

Totakeke

Haha, I'm not going to say that his video is unbiased. But the Surface display is really damn good and unfortunately most people will just dismiss it by reading the resolution numbers.

Top Bottom