• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

MCD

Found a NASTY, NASTY bug in Surface RT.

MLyEV.jpg

Note: This picture is not from my Surface but it should be the same.

See that first option there? I turned it off and boy, what a big ass mistake that was.

My newly bought Surface keeps rebooting by itself numerous times and whenever you try to restart it keeps crashing and crashing and crashing.

Deleted all apps, deleted my account to no avail. Tried to revert back to factory settings but gets stuck at infinite restart screen. Even deleted every Windows Update one by one but nope.

Finally, I remembered that I ticked the first option there so I enabled it back and lo and behold; Surface back to normal.

tl;dr someone PLEASE report this to MS and tell them to disable power tools if they don't fucking work.

Hana-Bi

So I downloaded and installed yesterday two apps with ~600mb and ~300mb. The problem is now that my free disk space went down from 14.9gb to 13.3gb. What are those additional 700mb? I uninstalled both of them but now the free disk space is 14.2gb...

Found the reason: Windows saves all those download files under Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download, deleted all the files and I now have 15.4gb free disk space.

MCD

That's beautiful.

I use proxy services like Borderlinx to get my stuff from the US. Basically, you buy an item, send it to your Borderlinx US address and then it will get delivered to your nearest DHL. Check them out.

Kafel

Banned
Yep, I'll ask someone to send it to me.

Does anyone know why I can't try Reckless Racing ? It seems cool but it keeps telling me I already have it on my PC.

dLMN8R

Found a NASTY, NASTY bug in Surface RT.

MLyEV.jpg

Note: This picture is not from my Surface but it should be the same.

See that first option there? I turned it off and boy, what a big ass mistake that was.

My newly bought Surface keeps rebooting by itself numerous times and whenever you try to restart it keeps crashing and crashing and crashing.

Deleted all apps, deleted my account to no avail. Tried to revert back to factory settings but gets stuck at infinite restart screen. Even deleted every Windows Update one by one but nope.

Finally, I remembered that I ticked the first option there so I enabled it back and lo and behold; Surface back to normal.

tl;dr someone PLEASE report this to MS and tell them to disable power tools if they don't fucking work.

Thanks, I'll pass things along.

Just beware though, you're on your own when you start doing anything with device drivers on Surface. Or any ARM or Clover Trail system. Since they're powered by a system on a chip, and you have multiple drivers controlling multiple different parts of the same chip, everything has tight expectations and dependencies between each other.

It's not intended or supported for you to touch or change anything for system devices like this, because small changes can cause major dependency issues.

MCD

As long as the issue is software related then I don't mind messing around with it. Plus Windows 8 restore back to default option is a godsend.

I loath hardware issues so I could see where Eggman was coming from even if I can just replace it back.

Now, can you tell the team to tell the LAZY DEVS not to release buggy and slow RT apps? Fruit Ninja is the biggest pile of shit on RT. Start with that lol.

fanboi

Banned
Thanks, I'll pass things along.

Just beware though, you're on your own when you start doing anything with device drivers on Surface. Or any ARM or Clover Trail system. Since they're powered by a system on a chip, and you have multiple drivers controlling multiple different parts of the same chip, everything has tight expectations and dependencies between each other.

It's not intended or supported for you to touch or change anything for system devices like this, because small changes can cause major dependency issues.

Then is should be deactivated or/and not possible without warnings.

dLMN8R

Then is should be deactivated or/and not possible without warnings.

You can screw up literally any PC by doing unsupported things fucking around in Device Manager, the registry, etc. You shouldn't do anything like that on any machine without actually vetting things first to make sure you're not about to screw things up.

eastmen

Banned
Meh I have a mifi and it works well esp since multiple peoe with me can acess it at yhe dame time. The bulk isnt a problem I with my ipad 2 I had to carry around many adapters that I no longer need with my surface.

Alx

Ok, I spent some time with my Surface, here are my general impressioins, including both hardware and software :

Good :
- shape and build quality. I like the solid aspect of the whole device, the magnetic *click* when snapping a cover to it.
- battery life. Always a pleasure to use it for a long period, then checking the battery and seeing it 75% full. My old laptop made me paranoid about needing a power plug for any extensive use.
- all the features I needed are there : web browser, office, remote desktop,...
- everything is fast and fluid, mostly.
- features like Xbox music/Smarglass work perfectly, actually better than on my laptop (which sometimes loses connection and cannot detect the Xbox any more).

Bad / "Could be better" :
- fingerprints on the back (and on the screen of course, but that was expectd). It's annoying.
- using it on your lap isn't very convenient. The type cover is functional, but the balance of the whole thing doesn't feel stable (and isn't really). Annoying since I usually browse from an armchair, so I'm more frequently in tablet mode.
- IE in portrait mode is ugly : the text font seems downsampled (and there's no point in watching a site like neogaf in landscape), it's still readable but not too comfortable. I hope it will be fixed in an update since it's obviously a software problem, or that better browsers like Opera will be released for RT.
- IE "swipe to go back" can be interpreted as the left swipe to change active app.
- I had trouble on the store at first because the tablet thought I was located in the UK. There was no option to change it from the regular option menus, I had to go to Control Panel to change my location, which wasn't very intuitive. It works now, though.
- I've had it slow down to a crawl once, needing a complete restart to make it work again. I think I was doing an update while launching the store, or something like that.

On the whole, I'm quite satisfied with it. It really makes my everyday use of computers more comfortable, even though it's still not perfect yet. It is definitely a good thing to be able to use a tablet "almost like a laptop". They should just make it easier to hold on your lap. :p

Totakeke

I tether to my phone, and it is always with me anyways.

I was on a trip, so I used internet sharing on my phone so my Surface could connect to the internet for like an hour which drained the battery to 60%, then I plugged in a usb cable to my phone to charge it and took a nap. By the time I woke up again, my Surface had like 70% battery left and my phone was up to 100% again.

Pretty awesome.

But I'm going to send my touch cover back because it has the splitting issue. :/ I don't think the design of the cover ever really accounted for the use case well enough. Does the type cover has similar design on that area?

TheTowel

If it makes any difference, I was at a Microsoft store this weekend and the place was packed. Everyone swarmed the Surface tables. Had no chance to look at em really, but there was interest in the crowd.

EriCKY

Neo Member
Get me more apps. That's all we need.

And boost the performance by 2x.

I'm still annoyed that there's no AIM app that works well. Still a good 'tablet' for college, but yeah the apps that are coming in are mostly very low in quality.

EDIT: An example of the great app selection on WinRT
1NPxq.png

These are the new apps that were just approved into the store.

Oh, what is this, 'cutlet'?
CQCsy.png

how magical

Totakeke

IM+ works okay for me, though I'm using it more because there isn't really much else out there. Still, it works.

App discoverability is bad yes. Every app store has that problem because they allow in far more apps indiscriminately rather than filter through quality (gaming side GFWL complaints anyone?). They might be improving a little bit on that though, now they're failing any app submission that doesn't have a unique logo.

Try http://www.greatwindowsapps.com/, I have still yet to really look into it myself but it seems like a good start to help things.

EriCKY

Neo Member
IM+ works okay for me, though I'm using it more because there isn't really much else out there. Still, it works.

App discoverability is bad yes. Every app store has that problem because they allow in far more apps indiscriminately rather than filter through quality (gaming side GFWL complaints anyone?). They might be improving a little bit on that though, now they're failing any app submission that doesn't have a unique logo.

Try http://www.greatwindowsapps.com/, I have still yet to really look into it myself but it seems like a good start to help things.

that site helps, thank you

i've tried to use IM+ however it is incredibly slow. switching between conversations and getting to the point where you can actually type up a new message can take up to 10 seconds. it also always says that the person you're talking to is typing.

dejay

Banned
I like the idea that I can use my Surface to charge my Lumia 920, while tethering the Surface to the Lumia 920 :p

I was impressed that I could tether my Note 2, charge it and explore the phone's SD cards through windows without any mucking around. Soooo good.

Alx

Thanks for the greatwindowsapp link. There are still many silly apps, but it's easier to find useful ones.
I already like the On Time one.
*edit : Taskorami doesn't look bad either.

What I miss for the moment is a good DVD library manager (I have "My Movies" on my old android phone, and it's great : just scan your DVD bar code and it will identify it and download all infos from the web). IMDB features, in the same app or a separate one, would be appreciated too.

Top Bottom