• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Totakeke

Random apps time, not much of a haul today.

Someone finally "tried" to make an app that plays mkv. Too bad it's not free and apparently it sucks (sure looks that way).
Yxplayer (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/en-GB/app/yxplayer-rt/13a81648-ee6b-4c34-934c-f317c8f60474)

The Exchange sync-ing tasks app from Windows Phone now shows up on the Windows Store. Looks lovely.
Tasks by Telerik (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/c66db128-7953-4da5-a87b-dc59758752ec)

This music and video format converter seems to convert everything except the things I need to convert (mkv). I guess that's no surprise. Still cool if not a bit barebones.
Format Converter X (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/88d14694-e9e7-4e9b-9a1d-00514276d396)

If you need lock screen wallpapers that really pop up on the Surface's beautiful screen, here's an app that might be able to do that. Barebones as well.
Color Inspiration (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/74b5482a-4b10-4934-b7be-f59d5a84bee8)

Alx

My Surface is stuck somewhere in Fedexworld because for some reason their delivery man couldn't enter the building. Not an email, not a phone call, nothing. Thanks Fedex. :/

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Just got my Surface with a cyan touch cover. Typing this while trying to get used to it.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
How do I update my Office, and anything else? Any other tips I should know?

dLMN8R

How do I update my Office, and anything else? Any other tips I should know?

You need to use Windows Update on the Desktop - type "windows update" from the start screen, tap "Settings" to do settings search, and then tap "install optional updates".

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks. How do I link two of my email inboxes together?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Surface sucks, returning it tomorrow. Been having wi-fi problems all day, the touch cover sucks and I can't type with such a small screen. I have no idea why I bought it.

railGUN

Banned
Surface sucks, returning it tomorrow. Been having wi-fi problems all day, the touch cover sucks and I can't type with such a small screen. I have no idea why I bought it.

yloJl.jpg

zou

Any way to force IE to either hide the address bar or always show it? Damn thing popping in with every single page load is annoying as hell.

Totakeke

If you've never used tablets with mobile OS before, then you have a larger learning curve. A lot of people said there's a learning curve with the touch cover keyboard too.

Still, why return it now? You have a 30 day window right?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
It's a 30 day window? Hmm, might keep it for a bit more then.

Totakeke

Well this is the online store return policy now.

Extended Holiday Return / Exchange Policy
Holiday gift purchases made between November 1, 2012 and December 31, 2012 qualify for an extended return period as follows:

Products, subscriptions and services (except for Mobile Phones and related products) that would otherwise be eligible for return or exchange within thirty (30) days from the date of purchase will instead be eligible for return or exchange until January 31, 2013.

All other terms and conditions of the Return / Exchange Policy below remain unchanged, including the policies for Mobile Phones, ALL SALES ARE FINAL and other nonreturnable items.

Hardware, Including Computers and Xbox (excluding RAM)

Returns and exchanges of computers, computer hardware items (including mice, keyboards, and printers), and other hardware items (including Xbox 360 consoles and controllers, Zune players, and accessories), will be honored for thirty (30) days from the date of purchase, provided the item has not been opened or altered from its original state and does not show wear or damage.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I tried resetting it to factory settings and something went wrong, and now it says something about contacing a system admin.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I spent $670 incl. tax to get this piece of shit. With $300 more I'd have gotten a better tablet pc with 8 gigs of ram. I'm done.

Totakeke

Whatever Eggman's expectations were, it sounds like it was way off in the first place. Aside from the touch cover (we did tell him to get the type cover) which is a hardware problem, you pretty much get what you see.

mm04

I don't think Eggman's trolling. Sounds like he got saddled with some faulty hardware, and if I waited for one, I'd be short on temper too. That being said, the OS takes some time to get used to. I never went in any Win8 threads and read up on anything. Only saw the pictures etc. I am a Windows Phone user, so that gave me some familiarity, but not much.

It wasn't until the next morning with the device did I finally start liking it once I learned how to accomplish things. Now, I love the thing and my family members who I've demoed it to, want one too. They are iPad and Kindle Fire owners. Different strokes, I guess. What they've all focused on are the features that Surface can do (multi-tasking/Office/external storage etc.), rather that what apps it doesn't have.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I also had faulty expectations. This thing is in no position to replace my laptop.

I installed all the Windows updates and still have a Preview edition of MS Office? What the fuck?

Alx

I installed all the Windows updates and still have a Preview edition of MS Office? What the fuck?

The final version of "Office RT" isn't out yet. You should be able to upgrade your review copy when it releases.

*edit:
Run Windows Update from the desktop (in the desktop control panel, not from the settings charm) and you can update Office

... or is it out already ? I just grabbed my delivery box from the depot today, I hope I'll have time to play with it tonight. I thought the new Office wouldn't be available until some time ?

Mairu

I also had faulty expectations. This thing is in no position to replace my laptop.

Run Windows Update from the desktop (in the desktop control panel, not from the settings charm) and you can update Office

mm04

Okay, there's probably better and easier ways to do this, but you need to go to desktop, open File Explorer, Computer, open Control Panel, search Windows Update, check for updates and go from there. That will get you the release version of Office and any other system/firmware updates you need.

If all you are really doing is documents, web browsing, Hulu/Netflix, there is absolutely no reason why this device can't do those functions. I do them all the time. If your issue is the touch pad or OS, then that's the real issue.

... or is it out already ? I just grabbed my delivery box from the depot today, I hope I'll have time to play with it tonight. I thought the new Office wouldn't be available until some time ?

Final version of Office is out, but for some reason you have to go to optional updates in the desktop Windows Update to install it.

dLMN8R

Okay, there's probably better and easier ways to do this, but you need to go to desktop, open File Explorer, Computer, open Control Panel, search Windows Update, check for updates and go from there. That will get you the release version of Office and any other system/firmware updates you need.

If all you are really doing is documents, web browsing, Hulu/Netflix, there is absolutely no reason why this device can't do those functions. I do them all the time. If your issue is the touch pad or OS, then that's the real issue.

I mentioned the instructions above when eggman first asked - just search the start screen settings for windows update and choose "install optional updates"

TwIsTeD

After grueling phone calls to Microsofts "call center" in India and a 4 day wait I finally got an RMA for my Surface.

I still think it truly is a fantastic device even with its short comings, but the performance issues with certain games and applications worry me about Win8 1st gen ARM devices lifespan and ultimately the Pro model might suite me better...oh and I feel this way after using a Lenovo Yoga for a few days....full Windows with the Surface form factor is the right choice for me.

dLMN8R

IIRC, you can also leave the surface plugged in overnight and it will update office automagically.

Everything but the Office update will be automatically installed. The Office update is still gradually rolling out to the world as the team observes its quality to ensure there's nothing wrong with it.

Alx

I spent some time with the Surface this evening... I'll wait for a longer experience to give a complete feedback, but the first impression is rather positive.
Two small details though :
- my first "wow" with the device was rather stupid and unexpected : it was the connection with the type keyboard. I had read about the magnetic thing and had seen the silly "click" ad, but I didn't expect to have the keyboard jump at the tablet (or so it felt) : "Ok, let's see how that fi... *shlock* WAIT HOW DID I DO THAT ?".
- my first annoyance to balance it : I used my MS account for the tablet, like on my PC, but for some reason it thinks I'm located in the UK. As a consequence I couldn't buy software on the store, and the video app said I would have difficulties accessing the movies. I haven't figured out what happened yet, hopefully everything will be ok when I restart it tomorrow. I didn't want to look further into it since I've had a rough day and need some sleep. :)

railGUN

Banned
Everything but the Office update will be automatically installed. The Office update is still gradually rolling out to the world as the team observes its quality to ensure there's nothing wrong with it.

Is that the update that fixes this?

If so, that's pretty bad, considering that Office is a central pillar of the Surface RT... Seems like a pretty important update to roll out as quickly as possible.

Top Bottom