• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

MightyKAC

999$ was exactly what I was hoping to spend for the Surface Pro. What I DIDN'T like however was that 4-5 hour battery. Unless this thing comes out with a power pack of some kind to extend that, it's pretty much a deal breaker for me.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
$899-$999 is a good price for Surface Pro, inline or maybe even better than the competition...they really should have launched with this device.

Hopefully that palm block technology can be hacked into my 700t

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
999$ was exactly what I was hoping to spend for the Surface Pro. What I DIDN'T like however was that 4-5 hour battery. Unless this thing comes out with a power pack of some kind to extend that, it's pretty much a deal breaker for me.
its a 10.6 inch core i5 pc, that battery life is right in line with other PCs of the same size and power.

RT vs. Windows 8

Which works for you?

The bottom line? It depends. If money is a factor, or if you are planning to use the tablet to augment rather than replace your Windows PC, a Windows RT tablet makes sense. If you are looking at a Windows tablet as a replacement for a desktop or laptop PC to become your primary computing device, you need to look at the broader picture.

The fact is that the vast majority of the tasks people perform on a traditional PC can be accomplished from a pure tablet. If all you need to do is email, surf the Web, post on social networks, or basic content creation and management, Windows RT (or an iPad or Android tablet) will work just fine.

But, if you need to run traditional Windows software, or need your tablet to be able to connect to a Windows network domain, you’ll need to invest in the more robust Windows 8 Pro tablets.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Clovertrail PCs seem to be around about $100 more than RT PCs, have better performance, 10 hrs of battery life, just as thin and light as RT PCs and are compatible with x86 applications. Its really a no brainer imo.

Clovertrail PCs seem to be around about $100 more than RT PCs, have better performance, 10 hrs of battery life, just as thin and light as RT PCs and are compatible with x86 applications. Its really a no brainer imo.

$100 dollars more, with 4 year support and Office? Same build quality?

Not really a no brainer.

Nero3000

The Surface Pro is not destined to critical acclaim across the media. Despite how impressive and complete of a computing product I think the Surface Pro is, it is easy to see where the key criticisms will come from in the tech reviews: The flaws will be based against what does better iPad or MacBook Air.

Each of the following points will be touched upon during reviews:

¬ 4 to 5 hour battery life (vs iPad)
¬ Lack of Windows 8 store apps (vs iPad)
¬ The screen is too small for full Windows Applications (vs MacBook Air)
¬ Office is not included for the price (vs cheap iPad price)
¬ Touch cover not included (vs MacBook Air)
¬ There is a stylus (vs iPad)
¬ The HD4000 graphics is not good enough to play the latest PC games smoothly (vs iPad games)
¬ Too thick and heavy (vs iPad)
¬ Desktop is still windows (vs MacBook Air)

Of those points, I think the real hurdle for buyers will be the battery life, perhaps the weight/thickness. Which is the main reason why I am waiting for a second gen and got an RT version to tide me over.

eastmen

Banned
no one is actually going to care about any review that does that.

From the surface I just need it to give me equal battery life to an ultra book while being thinner and lighter.

Compared to a tablet I need it to have better multitasking in metro or real multitasking in desktop mode. I also need it to last 5-7 hours .

we will see what MS has in store for us . I'm sure they will do some type of press deal and fill in some missing specs (like the exact clock speeds / model of the cpu / gpu clock speeds)

An I5 is already faster than my dual core neo with hd4330 card an will get better battery life while allowing me to leave my touch pad or ipad 2 at home . So its a win for me.

Enco

Just saw the Type Cover price. £110.

Are you fucking shitting me?

So the 64GB with a cover in the UK is going to be around £850-900 I'm guessing. Damn.

Totakeke

You forgot

- Far too expensive (vs. Android tablets)
- Too high profit margin (vs. Android tablets)
- No mobile connectivity (vs. iPad)
- Too confusing to use (vs. whatever)
- Uncomfortable screen ratio (vs. iPad)
- Too high dpi (vs. MacBook Air)
- No dedicated GPU (vs. notebooks)
- Can't run OSX (vs. MacBook Air)
- No LAN port (vs. notebooks)
- It has a kickstand (vs. MacBook Air)
- It still needs a keyboard (vs. iPad)
- Why do people still need USB ports (vs. iPad)

Basically Surface Pro is the worst thing ever. And then reviewers will start asking philosophical questions of what it wants to be when it can't be as good as all those other devices and whether people actually need such a device and probably only a small fraction of the population will ever want the device. Oh, and when there's news of bad sales numbers for the Surface Pro, then those same sites will come out with news and editorials saying "I told you so".

maeh2k

It probably won't review well. I don't even want to think about the the verge review score (it's not gonna be pretty).

For some device categories review scores make sense. Reviewers can (in theory) adequately compare notebooks, because people have a clear understanding what notebooks are and what they get out of them. So you can take a notebook and go through a checklist (build quality, keyboard, trackpad, performance, battery, ...).
As soon as a device doesn't fit the reviewer's preconceived notions of categories it becomes highly subjective. The Surface doesn't fit in either the established tablet and notebook categories, so it gets very mixed reviews and a lot of reviewers have asked who this product is for. Somewhere out there, there are actually tons of people who'd love the Surface. They just aren't writing the review.
Same issue with phones. Windows Phones are rated using the same one-size-fits-all approach to reviews and tech writers, of course, subtract points on the ecosystem score. The thing is, an incredibly high number of people don't need all those apps and would be very happy with the app selection and functionality that Windows Phone provides. They may never even consider a Windows Phone after seeing the review scores.

Kafel

Banned
Should be. Though I haven't had a single issue. My iPad had shit wiifi. Would have to start and restart WiFi all the time.
Yeah it's what I do with the Surface. Could it be something in my wifi parameters ? Or should I wait/return the Surface ?

maeh2k

Regarding the Pro's battery life, I just looked at some reviews of the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon again. Apart from display size it's similar to the Surface Pro. It has a Core i5 ULV and a 45 Wh battery (close the the Pro's 42 Wh one).

Here's an English review of the Core i7 version: review
Although not awful, the non-removable integrated 45 Whr battery can be somewhat disappointing for a notebook meant to be used on-the-move. Our typical Reader’s Test with BatteryEater returned over 7 hours of runtime, or above the 6 hour claim from Lenovo. Though decent, the notebook will have to be sitting idle at the lowest brightness setting in order to break the 7 hour mark.

Our standard WLAN test, which loads a new page on the browser every 40 seconds with the occasional Flash, is much more representative of real-world battery life expectations. Under these conditions and a 150 cd/m2 brightness setting (11/15), the X1 Carbon clocked in at 3 hours and 22 minutes, or almost half of the advertised 6 hour runtime.
Under load and with maximum brightness the battery lasts only 1 hour and 23 minutes.

The German notebookcheck then retested a German SKU with an i5. Testbericht

They got a maximum runtime of around 9 hours in battery saving mode with lowest brightness (just idling, not doing anything). And a minimum runtime of 1 hour and 26 minutes.
Then they ran the same test as for the US i7 version and arrived at around 6 hours (compared to the previous result of 3 hours and 22 minutes). They weren't sure what caused the discrepancy and suggested the first device may have had an issue.

A lot of Ultrabooks don't do much better than the Surface Pro when it comes to battery life. They have the same Intel ULV processors and 45 to 50 Wh batteries. So I don't know why all the websites reporting on the 4 to 5 hour battery life act so surprised...

eastmen

Banned
Who knows what the surfaces battery life really is. We dont know the settings ms is using to test. Hopefully we find out soon

maeh2k

Four to five hour battery lives aren't uncommon for moderately used Ultrabooks. Looking at similar devices should give us a pretty good idea about the battery life of the Surface Pro. And the above mentioned X1 Carbon is pretty close in specs.
At the same brightness (e.g. 150 nits like in the above mentioned battery test) the Surface display might even use less power than the 14" X1 Carbon's (smaller, but also higher resolution).

Apart from the screen there shouldn't be huge differences in power draw with very similar processor and battery size, right?.

eastmen

Banned
Would be a deal breaker if the battery life ended up being under 4 hours.
At doing what though? If its under 4 hours playing real pc games like swtor or batman id be fine. Less than 4 hours web surfing would be bad. 4 hours of video is fine to me

Enco

At doing what though? If its under 4 hours playing real pc games like swtor or batman id be fine. Less than 4 hours web surfing would be bad. 4 hours of video is fine to me
That's fair to ask for.

Lets hope we aren't disapointed. I also hope the storage space isn't cut down by too much after the OS.

So...opinions from those that still have their Surface.

Money well spent?
App store improving?

Would you do the purchase over again if given the option?

eastmen

Banned

Money well spent?
App store improving?

well they are already over 20k apps in the store in a little over a month of existence. That's pretty good I'd say. Other apps like Netflix have been improved a bunch although it still loads slowly.

eastmen

Banned
That's fair to ask for.

Lets hope we aren't disapointed. I also hope the storage space isn't cut down by too much after the OS.

I'd look at the mac air for battery life.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6063/macbook-air-13inch-mid-2012-review/8

47766.png

Under light usage the new 13-inch MacBook Air is easily able to meet Apple's claim of 7 hours of battery life. The 11-inch model does the same to its 5 hours rating, beating it by the same 30 minute margin as the 13.

47767.png

The medium workload thins the herd a bit, with the 13-inch Air still coming out on top but at 5.35 hours. The 11-inch Air drops below 4 hours, which is an improvement over the previous two generations of 11-inch Airs. Once again we see an example of Ivy Bridge doing better than Sandy Bridge when it comes to mobile power usage.

47768.png

Under heavy load is really where we see Intel's 22nm process deliver the gold. Here both of the 2012 MacBook Air models do very well. With the 13-inch MBA significantly outpacing even the rMBP with its 95Wh battery, while doing the exact same amount of work.

The 11inch air has the same specs with a lower res screen but also a smaller battery 35wh vs 42wh .

the light load test is light web browsing , medium is is heavy browsing load and heavy is web browsing plus a 1MB/s file transfer and looping 1080p video

Alx

Money well spent?
Yes. It's still an expensive toy and you could live without it, but I find it very comfortable and convenient.

App store improving?
I wouldn't know, I buy very few apps, and wouldn't use them as much on a tablet than on a phone (the only really useful ones I ever bought on Android were for traveling : train time tables, hotel reservation, restaurant critics etc). The few apps I downloaded on Surface were available day 1 as far as I know (puzzle game, manga reader, cooking app - that I haven't used yet, ...).

Sure. Actually I'm considering buying another one as a gift for someone who needs a laptop for light office work and net browsing (and has a very small apartment). Still expensive for that use, but well, it's a gift.

Kafel

Banned
I've received my Type Cover. It's WAY better ! Plus I'm fixing the wifi issues right now, my wifi box has to be in b/g mode (and not n).

eastmen

Banned
I've received my Type Cover. It's WAY better ! Plus I'm fixing the wifi issues right now, my wifi box has to be in b/g mode (and not n).

why b/g instead of N ? n should give u better bandwidth and distance.

Is this a work around for a problem on the surface ? or just with your router

Haklong

You think it's the type of router you have? I'm using nothing but N on a dual band router and it works great.

maeh2k

The Pro is going to get killed in the reviews. It's already starting in the previews.Surface Pro: Overpriced tablet, half an Ultrabook, or yet another Tablet PC?
But what is Surface Pro? It's not "tablet plus plus," taking the basic concept of the Surface RT and adding even more extra value. It compares too unfavorably with other tablets in a number of key areas. But equally, it's not the "PC plus" that Microsoft argues is the real future of the PC and tablet markets. Its PC capabilities and aspirations are undermined by being shoehorned into a tablet form factor.

The end result is a product that does a big chunk of what a tablet can do and a big chunk of what a PC can do, but it's not a perfect replacement for either. If Surface Pro is held up against conventional tablets, the result will be catastrophic, but the comparisons with Ultrabooks aren't clear-cut either.

Enco

Yikes. What a start.

When you try replace two devices you better be good at everything though. Why would I get something that does two jobs half as well?

I'll wait for more reviews though. If it looks crappy I'll just sell my Retina iPad and get the next gen (hopefully retina) mini.

Xian

Neo Member
The end result is a product that does a big chunk of what a tablet can do and a big chunk of what a PC can do

And that's just what I want.

Only bummer is the lack of a 3G modem.

Kafel

Banned
why b/g instead of N ? n should give u better bandwidth and distance.

Is this a work around for a problem on the surface ? or just with your router
for now it's what MS told me to do to get rid of wifi signal drops, and it works like a charm

Alx

Yikes. What a start.

When you try replace two devices you better be good at everything though. Why would I get something that does two jobs half as well?

That's not really true, when replacing multiple devices you just need to be "good enough" at what those were doing.
Look at the early (touch) smartphones, they were less efficient than regular phones at making calls and keeping a charged battery, took pictures of lower quality than cameras, weren't as functional as organizers like Palm for professional use... but because you had all of those features in a single device everybody adopted them.

As for the Pro, we'll see if it's good enough for what people want to do with it. But I think that its name is not only for marketing, and that it is indeed targeted at a professional audience. See for example the important focus on the stylus (for signing documents on the go) or the possibility to connect to a Windows domain. Even the lack of Office compared to the RT can be explained by MS assuming that companies bought/will buy wholesale licenses, rather than per device.
People will complain that its specs are not right for gaming or home use, but that may not be the purpose of the device.

KamenSenshi

Money well spent?
Definitely
App store improving?
I don't buy lots of apps but it seems good to me so far, not as many 3d games as Android but itll have TegraZone soon and more Live games like TapTiles today and such are being added.
Yep, would for sure, it's lived up to all I wanted it to in most cases and exceeded in others.

Totakeke

Going back to my Touchpad definitely makes it feel archaic. Even discounting the differences in terms of fluidity and speed, the swipe gestures is so much more superior in terms of navigation compared to going around the screen pressing on specific icons. I want my Surface RT back already.

Again the thing I find ironic about Surface RT is that it's probably best suited for people who generally know least about these kind of devices.

LOVE my device. It could be a little bit zippier, but it's perfect for the functions I'm going to use it for (TV browsing, movie watching).

I had fun today whipping movies off of my desktop via the network and onto my sd card. That 'ah, I don't need to go search for my sdcard reader' moment of awesomeness.

frontieruk

LOVE my device. It could be a little bit zippier, but it's perfect for the functions I'm going to use it for (TV browsing, movie watching).

I had fun today whipping movies off of my desktop via the network and onto my sd card. That 'ah, I don't need to go search for my sdcard reader' moment of awesomeness.

It is built for watching films, so so good.

mm04

It is built for watching films, so so good.

It is great for that. Want to watch it on your TV? Buy a $3 miniHDMI to HDMI cable. I was streaming HBOGO content and connected it to a 60" LED TV and nobody realized it wasn't FIOS.

Have not regretted my purchase one bit. It's my most used piece of hardware during non-office hours.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It is great for that. Want to watch it on your TV? Buy a $3 miniHDMI to HDMI cable. I was streaming HBOGO content and connected it to a 60" LED TV and nobody realized it wasn't FIOS.

Have not regretted my purchase one bit. It's my most used piece of hardware during non-office hours.

My boss bought one yesterday. So jelly.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
So it looks like the RT is better than any other Atom tablet for watching films. Or the ATIV Smart PC at least. Still want the full Windows experience so I might be getting an Envy x2.

Top Bottom