• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

dLMN8R

Touch cover is 3.25mm, type is 6mm.

The Type Cover is indeed "twice as thick", but when I'm actually using it I can't tell the difference at all. As a cover it feels just as thin and unobtrusive as the touch cover, it's almost the exact same weight so it doesn't feel any heavier, and yet as a keyboard it's almost as good as any laptop keyboard I've used.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
The Type Cover is indeed "twice as thick", but when I'm actually using it I can't tell the difference at all. As a cover it feels just as thin and unobtrusive as the touch cover, it's almost the exact same weight so it doesn't feel any heavier, and yet as a keyboard it's almost as good as any laptop keyboard I've used.
sounds good. Battery life is my only concern then. 3 hours is a deal breaker, 5 is kinda pushing it.

Yeah 6mm is still pretty damn thin.

I plan to just go Type when I get a Pro.

dLMN8R

I think it was in one of the threads here, or the comments section on various Win8/Surface articles.

No, it lays perfectly flat against the device just like the touch cover, and the keys have a rubber-ish finish to them so they won't scratch up the screen.

ksdixon

Fuck Yeah!

If only I had the money it'd be Surface RTs for the family and Surface Pro for me. Win8 is pretty damn idiot proof for casuals between Modern UI/Office coming included; and there are some genuine improvements to Desktop/OS elsewhere for power users.

jagowar

So, was MS Nerd correct about some sort of non-security patch for Surface today? I am not at home so I cannot see.

yeah it came out.... downloading now. people on the verge forums say its faster but who knows if it actually is or just a rebooted system.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Is there a note-taking app for Surface that will allow me to type with a keyboard and draw with a stylus on the same document? Autosync for Skydrive/Google Drive/Dropbox would be outstanding. This is a killer feature for me and I have not been able to find something like it for Android.

JaggedSac

Is there a note-taking app for Surface that will allow me to type with a keyboard and draw with a stylus on the same document? Autosync for Skydrive/Google Drive/Dropbox would be outstanding. This is a killer feature for me and I have not been able to find something like it for Android.

OneNote does all that I believe. Not sure how good those styluses out there work on the Surface though.

yeah it came out.... downloading now. people on the verge forums say its faster but who knows if it actually is or just a rebooted system.

Cool, thanks.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/11/3755626/microsoft-surface-rt-update-wi-fi-connectivity

Looks like part of the update fixes Wi-Fi issues for those that had them.

MCD

Dunno if this was there before but in Desktop --> Screen Resolution

There is an option to enable/disable auto screen rotation.

jagowar

Onenote would be able to do that.... but only the surface pro will have pen input.

Also got the updates installed on my surface. App loads are as slow as they were before but once things are loaded everything is quite a bit smoother especially scrolling feels improved. IE also feels faster which is good to see. Hopefully it won't degrade over time but I will find that out soon enough.

When MS_Nerd said that the update would prepare the Surface for the next step, then I don't think he meant something you'd notice right now.

OneNote for the desktop (comes only with Office, I think) or OneNote MX, the Metro style version, which is free in the Windows Store.

JaggedSac

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...12122012/d65a2591-41e0-4bfb-9160-2d2912d9f20b

Great question. The December update, which will be available later today, includes a few improvements for Surface with Windows RT. This update provides increased Surface Wi-Fi reliability, improved connectivity in various scenarios, and performance improvements including:

Support for Access Point names (SSID’s) such as “Eric’s Phone_1” including non-standard-ASCII special characters such as: ñ, ö, ü, á, é.
Reduction in scenarios resulting in “Limited” WiFi connectivity.

I hope this is helpful, please let me know if you have any further questions.

dLMN8R

Microsoft just announced that starting next week, Surface will be available at broader retail distribution. Also, all of the holiday pop-up stores will continue into next year, and some/most will become permanent.

Enco

Microsoft just announced that starting next week, Surface will be available at broader retail distribution. Also, all of the holiday pop-up stores will continue into next year, and some/most will become permanent.
This is good.

Making your product accessible is kinda important.

Cool Apps on RT.

MetroTwit is a great Twitter client, but with Twitter trying to control all clients, they won’t get much support and will quickly get to the point where they can’t take on any new users. This has already happened to one Twitter client in the RT world.
The ComiXology app is present, but it is a “preview” app and is so buggy that it is almost unusable. I read a lot of comics, though, and and hoping a stable update gets released soon.
Chess4All is a great chess game that I have come to love.
Radiant Defense is absolutely the MOST addictive tower defense game I have ever played.
Wordament is a great boggle-type game played XBox-style against hundreds of other people.
Evernote and Skitch work like a champ on the RT. Well done!
iHeartRadio – you gotta love it.
Kayak is an awesome travel app. Never used it before, but now I see their commercials and they Metro app is great.
News360 is the best news aggregator app I have used. It allows you to enter topics of interest and really digs into what interests you. Microsoft is pushing News Bento to all Surface users, but News 360 is way better in my opinion.
The ESPN app is pretty awesome, and the built-in Sports app on the Surface blows me away as well.
Stumble-Upon on Surface is great.
The Google Search app is fantastic.
Star Chart is PHENOMENAL. It’s like Star Walk on iPad, but better in my opinion.
Fresh Paint is a great drawing and doodling app.
Autodesk SketchBook Express is pretty darned cool as well.
Photo Studio Free is a great basic image editing program.
Metro Commander is a great way to take control of your system right from the Metro Interface

All I need now is Spensa Pro and the Surface RT would be my $500 one stop shop.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Bout fricken time. It was crazy that I was going to either have to drive to Santa Monica, or an equal number of miles to Costa Mesa/Irvine to pick one of these up.

Best Buy it is then. Time for RT to gain some footing.

you could always buy it online.

True, but I'd prefer not to spend $500 without trying the device first. At Best Buy I can try, then buy.

Reviews and comments from others in this thread have sold me, but spending the $$$ will come a lot easier once it's in my hands.

I almost grabbed an iPad mini two weeks ago just because I saw one at Best Buy and I enjoyed testing it.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
This still bums me out though:

I cannot install applications onto the expansion card.

Will that still be a limitation with the Pro? Might wait until second gen if true.

maeh2k

This still bums me out though:

I cannot install applications onto the expansion card.

Will that still be a limitation with the Pro? Might wait until second gen if true.

Installing on an SD card would only complicate things. Should it ask you every time you want to install something where to install it to? Should it be completely transparent to the user? What if you take out the SD card?

ksdixon

Do we know anything about how much space will be left on the Surface Pro for user content after Windows and any pre-installed software has taken some away?

Also, if Surface Pro doesn't come with Office installed, will it come with a 60day trial, or will we be able to digitally purchase and download Office?

Do we know anything about how much space will be left on the Surface Pro for user content after Windows and any pre-installed software has taken some away?

Also, if Surface Pro doesn't come with Office installed, will it come with a 60day trial, or will we be able to digitally purchase and download Office?

the surface pro doesn't come with office installed. you can install office to it (and any other software) traditionally. including by buying a downloadable version, or even hooking up a USB dvd drive and installing from disk. any method that works on a regular PC will work.

Top Bottom