• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
first i have seen of someone complaining about video performance on clovertrail. All of the other inpressions i have read say it works fine.

Really? Would like to read up on those if you have any links.

PSGames

Hmm I've had no problems with HD video. Plays beautifully.
Looks to comes down to shitty ativ drivers.
Surfaced video stuttered here:
Shutter Island, on Surface, was something more akin to Stutter Island, for no reason we could see. Its encoding parameters and bit stream size are well within the range of the other two files, but playback was a mess.

They even said any issues on Ativ are more than likely driver issues:

Windows 8 relies on GPU acceleration much more than Windows 7 did; it’s entirely possible that the lag and high CPU utilization during video playback are a result of an unoptimized driver stack.

Schlep

Got one at my Christmas party as the employee gift last Saturday. Been using it for work 99% since (cannot use Lync to set appointments on the Surface to my knowledge).

To me, it seems like a decent enough tablet, although I would go with a Nexus 10 or iPad instead. However, when it's used as a laptop replacement with a keyboard and mouse, editing Office docs off Skydrive, using Lync and Skype for IM/appointments, and utilizing a full browser in IE10, it is really something neither of the other two can offer. I especially love being able to dock apps like Slacker Radio or MetroTwit while working on other apps.

Feep

Banned
My father got me an iPad Mini for Hanukkah, but he said he would absolutely go with me to return it and grab a Surface RT. There's also the Surface Pro to worry about, though the battery life is a little off-putting...

Thoughts? Is the Surface Mail app really so bad? Is it extremely annoying that normal Windows applications don't work (i.e. how robust are the available apps)?

My father got me an iPad Mini for Hanukkah, but he said he would absolutely go with me to return it and grab a Surface RT. There's also the Surface Pro to worry about, though the battery life is a little off-putting...

Thoughts? Is the Surface Mail app really so bad? Is it extremely annoying that normal Windows applications don't work (i.e. how robust are the available apps)?
do you not like the mini or something? Tons of high quality apps, everything works well, battery life on the mini is ridiculously good, etc...

Or do you want the bigger form factor/office specifically? Because everything else I'd say is ehh...from the stuff I've seen/used.

edit: PS, your dad seems dizzzope.

Feep

Banned
do you not like the mini or something? Tons of high quality apps, everything works well, battery life on the mini is ridiculously good, etc...

Or do you want the bigger form factor/office specifically? Because everything else I'd say is ehh...from the stuff I've seen/used.

The Kickstand + Type Cover just seem so cool. = (

I also might be considering the Pro model in January...hm.

Yes, he is super dizzzope.

The Kickstand + Type Cover just seem so cool. = (

I also might be considering the Pro model in January...hm.

Yes, he is super dizzzope.
keep the mini and buy the pro, or return the mini and get the pro when it's out.. That is of course if you need a new computer, because that's what the pro is basically. Otherwise keep mini.

Watching movies and tv shows isn't a better experience on the Surface? Web browsing is definitively worse too?

Is it extremely annoying that normal Windows applications don't work (i.e. how robust are the available apps)?

If that is the main thing you are concerned with then the mini is definitely the way to go.

Watching movies and tv shows isn't a better experience on the Surface? Web browsing is definitively worse too?

If that is the main thing you are concerned with then the mini is definitely the way to go.
well I included that in my "do you want the bigger form factor specifically?" question.

maeh2k

I've been using Outlook.com as my primary mail client for quite some time. I like it better than the OS X mail client and I don't really need a native client any more. If you really get tons of mail your mileage may vary.

Totakeke

I saw the game before, recognized it that it was available on Android, but had no interest in it. There are two issues there.

1. Microsoft's policy to not promote RT-only apps which makes zero sense.
2. Not many people own RT, really. Even with other app stores, a lot of apps are introduced through other means rather than discovering it through the app store itself. So when you have to compete with apps in the same store which has a much broader audience, it's no surprise that your app loses out.

Enco

The store is downright horrendous

Very feed event apps and one of the worst store layouts I have ever seen. Disgusting small blocks in a boring and stupid grid pattern. It needs a complete overhaul.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Depends on your needs, really. I'd say that Outlook.com works better in some circumstances.
True. His alternative choice seems to be an ipad though and i think the stock w8 mail application is just as good as the stock ios mail application.

mm04

True. His alternative choice seems to be an ipad though and i think the stock w8 mail application is just as good as the stock ios mail application.

At first I was iffy over the mail application and used webmail instead. But after a few updates, in the end it works just fine for me, even with multiple accounts linked. Plus, Live Tile FTW.

Alx

Speaking of the mail client, I haven't found how to configure the address I use for my login (ie set imap/pop server, password etc). It works fine with my work address as secondary account, for the main account it tells me I'm supposed to go to the "configure PC" options but I can't find where I can input that info.

eastmen

Banned
But there is just one other company that has bothered to release a Surface alternative, shitty Asus released the shitty overpriced Asus tab.

MS was slated to produce 5m surfaces this quarter. I'm sure in October they simply didn't have the quanity to launch it at multiple chains. Now as demand starts to lesson they can distribute it wider and keep sales flowing in.

I bet the surface pro will be exclusive to the ms stores for a few months also

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Seeing ads for Surface all the time, but not being able to find it in places like Best Buy was weird. Good that they will open it up to retail chains.

Feep

Banned
Went to try the Surface at a pop up store and fell in love. Still, plunging in my USB flash drive and trying to play a 720p video (in the desktop mode) was laggy and slow.

Thus, I will wait for the Pro, buy it, and be happy.

Edit: 720p video in the Modern UI was fine. Not sure if I could access my flash drive from the video app, though.

hwalker84

Went to try the Surface at a pop up store and fell in love. Still, plunging in my USB flash drive and trying to play a 720p video (in the desktop mode) was laggy and slow.

Edit: 720p video in the Modern UI was fine. Not sure if I could access my flash drive from the video app, though.

What format? Do you know if the surface you where playing with was up to date? I don't have a single lag issue with any of the videos I have on my sdcard.

Feep

Banned
What format? Do you know if the surface you where playing with was up to date? I don't have a single lag issue with any of the videos I have on my sdcard.
No idea if it was updated. I think it was standard XViD, but I'll have to check when I get home...

Still, I'd love to be able to run Photo shop, Visual Studio, and ommWriter on it.

dLMN8R

I've played a ton of 720p videos, encoded simply using the "Normal" preset in handbrake, and the Surface RT plays them perfectly.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like I'm considering a Surface Pro, once again, as every single Atom tablet is being delayed. What's the battery life gonna be like? 5-6 hours? Also getting a type cover this time around, if I actually get it.

frontieruk

Looks like I'm considering a Surface Pro, once again, as every single Atom tablet is being delayed. What's the battery life gonna be like? 5-6 hours? Also getting a type cover this time around, if I actually get it.

Tbf the atom ones will probably get bogged down with desktop apps, going pro be it surface or another oem would be a better choice by far.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
How thin is the type cover? Is it intrusive to the tablet experience?

Alx

Is it intrusive to the tablet experience?

Not at all, unless you dislike the feeling of mobile keys on your palm/fingers when you hold it.
I didn't have much time to compare its thickness to the touch cover, but I would say it's similar, or not different enough for it to matter. When it's folded on the screen or on the back, you wouldn't guess that it's a keyboard.

pro is best choice

Kafel

Banned
Not at all, unless you dislike the feeling of mobile keys on your palm/fingers when you hold it.
I didn't have much time to compare its thickness to the touch cover, but I would say it's similar, or not different enough for it to matter. When it's folded on the screen or on the back, you wouldn't guess that it's a keyboard.

it's like 50 % thicker

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I am getting one with a free softcovertypething. I will use an old Apple bluetoof for serious typing, but a quick test with the softouch proved it was MORE than adequate for light to moderate use and probably fine for lengthy typing.

It's a point of real concern right now. Something everyone interested in the Pro should be focused like a laser on. If decent battery life with medium load usage can only yield 2 or 3 of battery life, this is going to flop. I really want one, but it is. That's unacceptable battery life out of a Tablet in 2012. Fuck the excuses. If this is the case for Surface Pro, I'll have to sit this iteration out and wait for the next Intel CPU, die shrinks and/or some battery tech advancements or something.

It's a point of real concern right now. Something everyone interested in the Pro should be focused like a laser on. If decent battery life with medium load usage can only yield 2 or 3 of battery life, this is going to flop. I really want one, but it is. That's unacceptable battery life out of a Tablet in 2012. Fuck the excuses. If this is the case for Surface Pro, I'll have to sit this iteration out and wait for the next Intel CPU, die shrinks and/or some battery tech advancements or something.

True that. 4.5-5.5 is stomachable, but anything lower would be a travesty. Even though it offers way more possibilities than a tablet--the form-factor is really only useful if you can get decent enough portable batterlife out of it.

MCD

jLZMD.jpg

Top Bottom