• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

clav

very good decision. I was incredibly disappointed with my touchpad, even after I put ICS on it.

Staples is running a trade-in promotion to upgrade to a Windows 8 tablet. The promo has yet to include Surface though.

I also keep hearing rumors about a price drop for Surface.

Krakatoa

Cool my Touchpad Qualifies for $150 trade in.

Surface here I come :)

Qualifying Trade Ins:

Does my old Tablet qualify for a trade in?

For your Tablet to qualify for a trade in, it must be one of the qualifying trade in products listed below

$100 Reward, qualifying trade ins
Amazon Kindle Fire®
Barnes & Noble Nook® Tablet

$150 Reward, qualifying trade ins
Apple Ipad® (all models)
Acer Iconia® (all models)
Samsung Galaxy Tab® 7" and 8.9"
HP Touchpad®
Toshiba Thrive® or Folio®
Motorola Xoom® (All models)
Asus Epad Transformer®
Blackberry Playbook®
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet® (All models)
Sony Tablet P®

$250 Reward, qualifying trade ins
Apple Ipad 2® (all Models)
Apple Ipad 3rd Generation® (all models)
Samsung Galaxy tab® 10”
Sony Tablet S®

eastmen

Banned
this through the ms store ?

My touch pad has some cracks on the housing , wondering if I could get 150 for it through them. That would help

clav

Cool my Touchpad Qualifies for $150 trade in.

Surface here I come :)

Qualifying Trade Ins:

Does my old Tablet qualify for a trade in?

For your Tablet to qualify for a trade in, it must be one of the qualifying trade in products listed below

$100 Reward, qualifying trade ins
Amazon Kindle Fire®
Barnes & Noble Nook® Tablet

$150 Reward, qualifying trade ins
Apple Ipad® (all models)
Acer Iconia® (all models)
Samsung Galaxy Tab® 7" and 8.9"
HP Touchpad®
Toshiba Thrive® or Folio®
Motorola Xoom® (All models)
Asus Epad Transformer®
Blackberry Playbook®
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet® (All models)
Sony Tablet P®

$250 Reward, qualifying trade ins
Apple Ipad 2® (all Models)
Apple Ipad 3rd Generation® (all models)
Samsung Galaxy tab® 10”
Sony Tablet S®

If you look at qualifying purchases though, Surface is not listed.

Krakatoa

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just got, set up, etc my Surface. So much joy. Can anyone give me a plain english guide to getting Music to recognize files on my SD card? I can play them manually, no probs, just cant get it to recognize the SD card as the defacto location. Leanred more about how to use (and how awesome it is) win 8 in the last hour than the last few weeks.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just got, set up, etc my Surface. So much joy. Can anyone give me a plain english guide to getting Music to recognize files on my SD card? I can play them manually, no probs, just cant get it to recognize the SD card as the defacto location. Leanred more about how to use (and how awesome it is) win 8 in the last hour than the last few weeks.

Can you go to the desktop, file explorer, libraries, music, then click manage libraries at the top, add your SD card.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Wait so does the Surface RT run flash? I tried using it for something when I had and it wouldn't run?

JaggedSac

Can you go to the desktop, file explorer, libraries, music, then click manage libraries at the top, add your SD card.

No, but there is a simple workaround:

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/surface-tip-microsd-content-libraries-metro-apps-144658

Wait so does the Surface RT run flash? I tried using it for something when I had and it wouldn't run?

Yes, but MS has a large list of sites that it will only work on. And if a site that you tried with flash doesn't work, you can add that site to the whitelist. Kind of a pain, but it is doable.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
so if i add that website to the whitelist i can plays it?

JaggedSac

so if i add that website to the whitelist i can plays it?

Theoretically, yes. Can't say for certain that that particular site will work, but I have done it for other things, and they have worked.

Can someone try it out for me or is that too big of a favor? I'm thinking about rebuying the RT.

If no one has by the time I get home, I will.

A small sticking point to this solution is that you either have to make it where the compatibility list does not auto update, or you have to keep adding it after MS updates the file.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone try it out for me or is that too big of a favor? I'm thinking about rebuying the RT.

zorbsie

Still no word on the Surface Pro outside the US? Seems silly for Canada to not get it at the same time. I wonder if it's just limited supply of the product. Wasn't the Surface RT pretty much a worldwide launch?

JaggedSac

I was just about to post saying I couldn't get that site the flash on that site working but then decided to try on the desktop to see what it should be doing. I am not able to get anything to start doing anything. I pick various things from the dropdown but no content gets displayed except for some chapter selections.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Really? Link works for me:/ Can anyone else click and see?

eastmen

Banned
12-12-2012-18-01-58-620x388.jpg

The surface by itself represents 6% of all Windows 8/RT devices out in the market. Its the single highest % device

12-12-2012-18-09-20-620x387.jpg

With the surface alone MS has 6% of the windows 8 market. HP 22% , Dell 10% and so on.

Its obvious why MS needed to take this step , with just 1 single model they are selling more than Lenovo , Samsung and sony and are nipping at Toshiba's behind.

The surface expansion to bestbuy and other stores could see them jump over Toshiba , assuse and acer perhaps even dell and surely with the surface pro they will top that

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-sur...opular-windows-8-rt-device-report-7000008700/

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
ermahgawd

just watched a few Surface tips and tricks videos and gosh darn if the OS isn't crazy useful and awesome. swiping to close apps just changed my life forever. I think this is a straight up laptop replacement for me. I am such a weak user that I may not even need the Pro.

Now if only m.neogaf recognized the surface IE - as it is, it will only remain on m.neogaf for the first page. Any subsequent nav reverts to regular neogaf.

MCD

ermahgawd

just watched a few Surface tips and tricks videos and gosh darn if the OS isn't crazy useful and awesome. swiping to close apps just changed my life forever. I think this is a straight up laptop replacement for me. I am such a weak user that I may not even need the Pro.

Now if only m.neogaf recognized the surface IE - as it is, it will only remain on m.neogaf for the first page. Any subsequent nav reverts to regular neogaf.

Time to bug evilore/ckohler about it.

mm04

ermahgawd

I used to think that as well, but I changed my tune on that after a few days. Maybe you will too.

This still bums me out though:

I cannot install applications onto the expansion card.

Will that still be a limitation with the Pro? Might wait until second gen if true.

I really wish Microsoft would do an update so that we can create a unified pool of memory between the built in and the micro sd.

Marco1

As much as I was ready for an ipad mini this Christmas I think I'll get a surface rt.
The prospect of getting a xbox next in the next year has me salivating at what they'll do together.

SPDIF

Really? Link works for me:/ Can anyone else click and see?

I know this is a bit late, but I just thought I'd let you know that I'm having the same problem as JaggedSac. I can select different chapters from the drop down box, but then nothing happens . I tried this on my laptop and my Surface.

Hoo-doo

Banned
As much as I was ready for an ipad mini this Christmas I think I'll get a surface rt.
The prospect of getting a xbox next in the next year has me salivating at what they'll do together.

Really? You think the Surface has enough market penetration for them to waste resources on that?
Don't get your hopes up.

Alx

Really? You think the Surface has enough market penetration for them to waste resources on that?
Don't get your hopes up.

If there is any interaction, it would be through SmartGlass, which is supported by all kinds of devices on iOS, android or Win8.
Not that I would expect advanced features either, but market penetration is not the problem here.

jagowar

Don't get your hopes up.

They already have some interesting things between surface and xbox announced (skulls of the shogun if it ever gets released for instance). Have to imagine it will not be the last game that works cross platform.

The prospect of a smartglass 2.0 app designed from the ground up to be a second screen device will probably work best on win8 tablets. Also works natively with the music/video stores on xbox (and the play to/send to tablet functionality is actually pretty cool)

That said I don't think you will see much more between surface and next xbox.... There have been a number of rumors the xbox team is working directly on a tablet to compliment the next gen xbox (might even be sold as a package). That to me is the interesting one.

JaggedSac

You can brute force a 360 controller onto a Surface just by "insisting" - I watched a youtube video about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt8ZPC9jgng

Super easy. Of course the software will have to support it too, but it works with a lot of stuff.

Man, you got my hopes up that the wireless one would somehow work without the dongle when I started that video. I have a shitty non-MS brand wired one that will work, but the emulator just doesn't support it yet.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I know this is a bit late, but I just thought I'd let you know that I'm having the same problem as JaggedSac. I can select different chapters from the drop down box, but then nothing happens . I tried this on my laptop and my Surface.

Thanks anyway. Still contemplating on rebuying it.

What do you guys think? Like I stated before, I just need a device for browsing, typing documents and watching videos. People suggested a Surface would be good enough, but I felt limited when I got it, and it it didn't help that I got a defective product.

Now I'm looking up Atom tablet PCs but they all blow or aren't even out yet. It seems like the Surface isn't the only half-assed tablet pc this holiday season.

frontieruk

What do you guys think? Like I stated before, I just need a device for browsing, typing documents and watching videos. People suggested a Surface would be good enough, but I felt limited when I got it, and it it didn't help that I got a defective product.

Now I'm looking up Atom tablet PCs but they all blow or aren't even out yet. It seems like the Surface isn't the only half-assed tablet pc this holiday season.

I was going to suggest the Dell XPS10 but that doesn't release until end of the month, but it's an Atom win 8 pro tablet.

popeutlal

Acer W510 is $500 at amazon, $600 + $100 GC card. Its currently the best atom tab out right now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...d_t=201&pf_rd_p=1441194002&pf_rd_i=B009H1BI0O

Deal ends on 12/15.

Top Bottom