• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

eastmen

Banned
Would it be good enough to replace a laptop? Seems like it, no performance issues right?

its a win 8 pro tablet , depending on what your going to run will tell you if there are performance issues. Its only an atom cpu so in more demanding games you will have issues , in anything that really requires cpu power like photo shop or excel you will run into performance issues.

If you just want to surf the web , play metro games and watch videos you should be good.

They already have some interesting things between surface and xbox announced (skulls of the shogun if it ever gets released for instance). Have to imagine it will not be the last game that works cross platform.
I want skulls of the shogun injected right into my veins.

popeutlal

One important thing to note is that this device does NOT have a full sized usb port, it has a micro usb port. Though I think a micro usb adapter does come in the box, check the unboxing videos on YouTube.

mm04

One important thing to note is that this device does NOT have a full sized usb port, it has a micro usb port. Though I think a micro usb adapter does come in the box, check the unboxing videos on YouTube.

When you say this device, are you talking about the Surface? It does have a full size USB port. If you mean micro-HDMI port, then yes, that's what it has but it doesn't come with a cable.

eastmen

Banned
Hmm, really considering it now.

Look what do you want to do with the device ?

Surface RT / RT tablets = web surfing , metro games , long battery life

Atom Pro tablets = web surfing , metro games , slightly less battery life but weak at traditional pc programs

Ivy bridge tablets = all of the above but strong at traditional pc programs and much less battery life.

Then you move into laptop space and you get ivy bridge with slightly better battery life while getting bigger screens and larger hardrives and the like .

You need to choose what you want to do and then you have to make a choice. Do you want to try and have 1 device do what you need to do , or are you okay with getting say a lower end laptop at $500 or $600 and getting an nexus 7 or ipad mini for some of your other tasks.

Not a single device is going to do everything .

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
It's not all black and white like that though. For example, an Atom tablet should be good enough for me, but then there's problems like docking station disconnects and no SD card slots. Trying to find the best balance.

popeutlal

When you say this device, are you talking about the Surface? It does have a full size USB port. If you mean micro-HDMI port, then yes, that's what it has but it doesn't come with a cable.
I mean the Acer W510.
-----

" Surface RT / RT tablets = web surfing , metro games , long battery life

Atom Pro tablets = web surfing , metro games , slightly less battery life but weak at traditional pc programs"

Surface doesn't have better battery life compared to atom tabs, that's mostly due to tegra3 being terrible at doing anything. It might be different on the S4.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, can someone check this for me again? It'll be really appreciated and I'll stop spamming the thread after this post.

www.whfreeman.com/thelifewire9e

Just click on Animated Tutorials on the right and tell me if any of them work when the site is added on the whitelist. I'm gonna be using that site next semester and I'd like if the RT ran it.

Look what do you want to do with the device ?

Surface RT / RT tablets = web surfing , metro games , long battery life, full version of Office that works perfectly fine with USB keyboard/mouse or blue tooth keyboard/mouse. If he's going to use office, the Surface RT is perfectly fine.

A pretty important omission. It's literally why the Surface RT is $500 instead of $425 or less.

Ok, can someone check this for me again? It'll be really appreciated and I'll stop spamming the thread after this post.

www.whfreeman.com/thelifewire9e

Just click on Animated Tutorials on the right and tell me if any of them work when the site is added on the whitelist. I'm gonna be using that site next semester and I'd like if the RT ran it.

I don't think it works, but I only messed around for two or three minutes while at work.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I guess it'd be better to ask the Windows 8 thread then. Thanks anyway.

eastmen

Banned
I guess it'd be better to ask the Windows 8 thread then. Thanks anyway.

I tried it on my surface RT and my desktop with windows 8 pro in both metro browser and ie 10. Dunno what to tell ya. Sure you don't have to be logged in to see the content ?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that's not the portal I log into. Anyone can view that.

I saw a Windows RT (not Surface) unit at Best Buy today when I went in to see if they had the Surface yet.

That interface and the preview version of Office won me over. No other tablet is going to work for me (well...I'll keep my original Fire too) moving forward. It was a thing of beauty.

mm04

Anyone have this happen to them on accident yet? It's four rows of live tiles instead of the default three. Happened to me this morning and I like it better. It reverts back once your Surface goes to sleep, but I believe Microsoft knows about this and it could become a feature.

Anyone have this happen to them on accident yet? It's four rows of live tiles instead of the default three. Happened to me this morning and I like it better. It reverts back once your Surface goes to sleep, but I believe Microsoft knows about this and it could become a feature.

I'm not using Windows 8 right now, but I know that I was able to add another row of tiles on my desktop. It was a setting somewhere hidden in the charm bar.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
So does the white list work work for any other sites you guys tried out?

eastmen

Banned
So engadget reviewed the w700 with an i5 in it and they got 7:13 minutes looping video with wifi on and a 65% brightness on .

So whats with the pros life. Perhaps it gets 4 hours playing high end video

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
So engadget reviewed the w700 with an i5 in it and they got 7:13 minutes looping video with wifi on and a 65% brightness on .

I don't get it either. What else can influence battery life when the specs are so similar?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I see. Decided to just wait for the Pro, in order to have the full Windows experience.

You guys think it's coming out before or around CES or later in January?

Is there an alternate Browser?

The browser is even better than the one running on the Xbox 360. What more could you want?
KuGsj.gif

popeutlal

Looping a video doesn't give real world battery life...how about doing a test with web surfing or playing games? engadget's battery tests are simply the worst, on every device all they do is loop a video.

They tested Asus Transformer Infinity with 9+ hours, giving it the longest battery of any android tablet, in reality it just about 5 to 6 hours, even worse when playing games...they looped a video.

Top Bottom