• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So should I wait for the pro? Early '13 is all I've seen so far, any more details on launch date?

Depends - if you want to replace a laptop with s'more artified tablet experience, yes. If you want to replace an ipad with a more flexible workhorse, no.

Homeboyd

Depends - if you want to replace a laptop with s'more artified tablet experience, yes. If you want to replace an ipad with a more flexible workhorse, no.
I don't want to replace a laptop with it, but my iPad literally sits on a table unused. I use my phone for everything I'd use my iPad for... But it seems like I can do more with a surface (for my work) than I can with an iPad (which I can't do hardly anything with).

dLMN8R

No it doesn't. The battery tests aren't uniform across multiple sites so it makes it difficult to guage specifics but you can discern a general trend like Ultraportables having on average 50% greater battery life than non-ultras. Even within the same site battery tests are different for laptops and tablets which is how the Surface has been reviewed, that includes Anadtech.

Just to make things even more complicated the Mac Book Air 11" has half the battery life of the Air 13". So you can't just make a comparison within the same model series without least looking at the full price of the Surface and the alternatives.

I would be willing to bet the Surface Pro's 4.5 hours doesn't compare with Ultra portable that can go for 8+ hours doing the same tasks.

Most of the best Windows 8 Ultrabooks are getting around 5 hours of battery life. That includes the Acer Aspire S7, Lenovo Yoga, and is also directly comparable with the Macbook Air 11". That's all I'm saying.

Obviously there are a number of machines that get even better battery life.

Why do some reviews mention poor touchpads on the covers when the entire thing is touchscreen.....

Because it#s pretty important for things like editing text. Moving a cursor with a touch pad is much more comfortable than manipulating it on a touch screen. I always hate that when I try to edit text on my iPad.

Stinkles

Why do some reviews mention poor touchpads on the covers when the entire thing is touchscreen.....

I was so amazed that it had a multitouch touchpad tht it never even occurred to me tht it could be criticized. Works like a laptop for me. And I use a matching Arc Touch mouse too. All three. Three touch fingz.

Just got a Surface RT for my wife. She has been using a Windows Phone 7 for nearly two years but with my Windows Live ID so that I'd earn achievements on the games. She's accumulated a ton of data in her calendar and would like to move it over to her Windows Live ID now that she can use that to log into the Surface RT (since it supports multiple accounts). Or at the very least share the entries. No obvious way is presenting itself, any thoughts?

Pooya

I can force neogaf mobile or any site for that matter to mobile mode on desktop IE metro, I don't know about Surface but it should work I guess. You just have to change the user agent string.

Update you have to enable Group Policy Service first, read here http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2012/12/how-to-enable-and-configure-group-policy-settings-in-windows-rt/

Run -> gpedit.msc

User Config -> Admin templates -> All settings

find "customize user agent string" there. Use the filter options to find it easily. (right click -> Filter Options, type user agent in the box, ok out. now on all settings, right click -> Filter on) should be right there now. click on it, you'll see this windows.

copy/paste this string right into the highlighted box, this is user agent for Chrome Android for tablet. https://developers.google.com/chrome/mobile/docs/user-agent

ua9rj0j.jpg

Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; <Android Version>; <Build Tag etc.>)
AppleWebKit/<WebKit Rev>(KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/<Chrome Rev>
Safari/<WebKit Rev>

edit: alternatively you can use IEMobile user agent string on WP8

Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows Phone 8.0; Trident/6.0; ARM; Touch; IEMobile/10.0; ; [;])

and the results:

now your IE (both desktop and metro) is recognized as a tablet browser (chrome to be precise) everywhere, you can just go back there and disable it if you want it back the way it was. I imagine most really want a tablet browser though :p

Pooya

Gpedit is on the Surface but the user string change doesn't work for me. Chrome or WP8 string.

are you doing it correctly? go to this site see what your browser is recognized as:

http://www.useragentstring.com/

if it's right (chrome etc) no dice then :(

well, it will work on Surface Pro though.

edit: if you tested with neogaf, you have to put in m.neogaf.com in address bar otherwise it goes to the desktop mode.

I've tried a few other sites, like google, bing, gamespot etc, all of them go to mobile mode by default now. only neogaf is manual but it doesn't go back to desktop mode from there anymore, works fine.

kehs

Banned
Anyone know how to get in touch with eastmen? I need to know whether I should get the $200 RT or wait and splurge the extra $100 for the full Windows 8 Surface that comes out.

the surface is already a better product. I've been very disappointed in the amazon announcements today. $300 for an android 2.3 device with 16 gigs of ram ? I bet you can't even add a sd card. The surface blows this away in every metric aside from screen resolution. A $200 to $300 surface will be the better value

What's the matter ? What do you think is in the rt that's going to make the price points impossible. Its simple a tegra 3 or tegra 3 + with 32 storage . The screen is only 768 so it should cost less than the 8.9 1920x1200 screen on the kindle. The ram amounts will be the same also.

I don't actually see anything in the surface rt that will make it more expensive to produce than the kindle fire. Intact it could actually be cheaper

Pooya

I will do this when I get home. But will that make my browser identify as mobile globally? Because I don't want that. Just because Kohler is god-tier doesn't mean all mobile apps are god tier.

yeah, it does :S

unfortunately I don't think there is any way for web developers to recognize IE metro as a mobile browser. It has exactly same user agent string as regular IE, this is something only Microsoft can fix currently, there is no difference between the two to websites right now.

Stinkles

unfortunately I don't think there is any way for web developers to recognize IE metro as a mobile browser. It has exactly same user agent string as regular IE, this is something only Microsoft can fix currently, there is no difference between the two to websites right now.

KOHLER PLS

popeutlal

unfortunately I don't think there any way for web developers to recognize IE metro as a mobile browser. It has exactly same user agent string as regular IE, this is something only Microsoft can fix currently.

Well at least on tablets the user agent is different: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows NT 6.2; Trident/6.0; Touch)

So mobile devices can be detected.

Pooya

Well at least on tablets the user agent is different: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows NT 6.2; Trident/6.0; Touch)

So mobile devices can be detected.

of course, only adding a "Mobile" anywhere should do it when the site parses the string. What I'm saying this turns the whole IE into a mobile mode. that's not what everyone wants.

Here is something a web developer like neogaf web master can do for example to fix the issues: defining a custom string in user agent that no one else recognizes. Let's say put 'SurfaceGAF' in there and detect it as a trigger for mobile mode. This way other sites won't go into mobile mode but still both IE desktop and metro will show neogaf in mobile mode.
the string must be added by users manually though.

the other thing that can be done is when someone goes to m.neogaf.com it remains in mobile mode beyond the initial forum listing, that can be fixed by the developer too.

if there was some site that could redirect to a url with custom user agent then it could work too, we don't have to change the IE user agent then. I don't know if a service like that exists out there.

I don't want to replace a laptop with it, but my iPad literally sits on a table unused. I use my phone for everything I'd use my iPad for... But it seems like I can do more with a surface (for my work) than I can with an iPad (which I can't do hardly anything with).

Do you need to use office? Are you in the market to spend $499 for a device to sit on your desk doing nothing if Office isn't important?

Totakeke

Why'd u exchange? The corners of my touch cover are coming apart, does this qualify for getting it replaced?

My touch cover had the splitting open issue near the middle on the attachment edge. So I decided to send in my Surface tablet as well anyway since it seems to occasionally have problems detecting when the touch cover is attached.

Kafel

Banned
thx to whoever tried to help me with the Reckless Racing game but a right click on the Store doesn't bring that name in my downloaded list.

I'd guess that game is faulty on the Store (fr)

SPDIF

of course, only adding a "Mobile" anywhere should do it when the site parses the string. What I'm saying this turns the whole IE into a mobile mode. that's not what everyone wants.

Here is something a web developer like neogaf web master can do for example to fix the issues: defining a custom string in user agent that no one else recognizes. Let's say put 'SurfaceGAF' in there and detect it as a trigger for mobile mode. This way other sites won't go into mobile mode but still both IE desktop and metro will show neogaf in mobile mode.
the string must be added by users manually though.

the other thing that can be done is when someone goes to m.neogaf.com it remains in mobile mode beyond the initial forum listing, that can be fixed by the developer too.

if there was some site that could redirect to a url with custom user agent then it could work too, we don't have to change the IE user agent then. I don't know if a service like that exists out there.

I'll be submitting this app to MS soon. So if anybody does want to view the mobile site of any site, including Gaf, then they can.

iUo6tttSM9cBD.png

ibl2Q1ZyhueIGv.png

ifxN2e0gmNTAy.png

Totakeke

I don't think using the desktop version would be a problem if the browser had site-specific zoom levels.

You do have to pretty much use the neogaf icon though.
JQujN.png

But I didn't think of the sidebar thing, that would be pretty useful.

frontieruk

I don't think using the desktop version would be a problem if the browser had site-specific zoom levels.

You do have to pretty much use the neogaf icon though.
JQujN.png

But I didn't think of the sidebar thing, that would be pretty useful.

I think he's replicating the mobile functionality where the go to latest post is the > at the end isn't it?

SPDIF

He's just displaying the mobile site, but yeah. The > takes you to the last post, the NeoGAF icon takes you to the last read.

Yeah the app's pretty simple. Essentially all it is is a browser (using IE 10's rendering engine) with the user agent permanently set as IE 10 mobile. Although you can also change it to iPhone/iPad or Android for those sites that don't seem to recognise IE 10 mobile as an actual mobile browser.

dejay

Banned
thx to whoever tried to help me with the Reckless Racing game but a right click on the Store doesn't bring that name in my downloaded list.

I'd guess that game is faulty on the Store (fr)

I had the exact same issue as you with that game (Australian store) but I can't remember exactly how I fixed it. Perhaps I found it in all apps or in a search and uninstalled it before downloading it again.

jagowar

I'll be submitting this app to MS soon. So if anybody does want to view the mobile site of any site, including Gaf, then they can.

iUo6tttSM9cBD.png

ibl2Q1ZyhueIGv.png

ifxN2e0gmNTAy.png
looks nice... not sure how its working (if this is already in your app) but it would be perfect if it would show the mobile site when in snapped mode but show the full version when viewing in the 2/3 size. Make it an option so users could choose.

SPDIF

Incredible! Would pay for that.

Thanks.

That's pretty nice and useful. make it for x86/64 too please.

Don't worry, it works on all architectures.

looks nice... not sure how its working (if this is already in your app) but it would be perfect if it would show the mobile site when in snapped mode but show the full version when viewing in the 2/3 size. Make it an option so users could choose.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll add that. Should be pretty easy to implement.

im always a bit jealous of people who can code. creating real things just with your imagination and knowledge of how coding works (and probably a lot of patience).

I like to create stuff. pictures, songs, make models on sketch up etc, but coding programs is something where people actually benefit from your power to create stuff, but I just cant do it (besides super basic pascal skills)

Top Bottom